Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Landry has earned starting job back.....?

lollygagger8

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were several take aways for me from the game last week that were different than what they had done in the regular season.  One of those was having a 4 DB's line up with Butler, Adams, Toler and Davis.  Butler was essentially a safety.  But then when they went nickel, it was Landry who came into the game.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. 

Did Pagano forget to watch tape of Thomas juking Landry out of his shoes the first game they played the Broncos??

JT_TD__3_IND_medium.gif

Just don't have him man up on the goal line like that. I'm positive they won't. Also, Julius Thomas hasn't had that kind of quickness in two months.

But Landry has played well over the past few weeks, especially against the run. 

Just don't have him man up on the goal line like that. I'm positive they won't. Also, Julius Thomas hasn't had that kind of quickness in two months.

Yes.  That defense linked in that video has about a .00005% chance of happening again.

See my note above.  Butler played some safety on early downs in base defense.  Things will be different.

He was hurt for awhile but it seems his quickness is back

Did Pagano forget to watch tape of Thomas juking Landry out of his shoes the first game they played the Broncos??

JT_TD__3_IND_medium.gif

Doesn't really matter. Year before we saw Thomas catch a pass over the top on Bethea who had decent coverage. He is to big for a little corner....and likely our safeties too. Freeman will have to cover him and likey Denver will try to move him to get him matched up with Jackson. You need size and speed from a gifted LB to cover these TEs in the NFL. There are some bigger safeties like Chancelor etc but few and far between.

Doesn't really matter. Year before we saw Thomas catch a pass over the top on Bethea who had decent coverage. He is to big for a little corner....and likely our safeties too. Freeman will have to cover him and likey Denver will try to move him to get him matched up with Jackson. You need size and speed from a gifted LB to cover these TEs in the NFL. There are some bigger safeties like Chancelor etc but few and far between.

Kam Chancelor.. dude shut down TEs and smacks RBs can we borrow him for a game or season

He played alright last game...

I'm interested on how he "earned it back" though!? I know we don't see 70-80% of what goes on behind the scenes but I wonder how he "earned" it back.

We will see how he plays Sunday.... Very optimistic about Landry. Can't take to much more of his horrendous coverage and bad tackling.

This makes sense, Landry was playing well before his suspension and overall he has been playing well since his return.  Definitely more of an enforcer than Brown.

His play has not been good enough to where I would say the team should build the D around him but he's has not been a liability on the field like Brown has a few times.

This makes sense, Landry was playing well before his suspension and overall he has been playing well since his return.  Definitely more of an enforcer than Brown.

His play has not been good enough to where I would say the team should build the D around him but he's has not been a liability on the field like Brown has a few times.

nw5HT.gif

Ummm, how do I put this.....

I know pff isn't the be all end all by any means, but Landry had a -2.4 grade before the suspension. While that beats out his negative grade of -4.7 last year, it still sucks. 

Let's put it this way.....the last game he played against Manning, Manning put up a perfect 158.3 passer rating against Landry. 

nw5HT.gif

I know pff isn't the be all end all by any means, but Landry had a -2.4 grade before the suspension. While that beats out his negative grade of -4.7 last year, it still sucks. 

Let's put it this way.....the last game he played against Manning, Manning put up a perfect 158.3 passer rating against Landry. 

Before the suspension, he struggled in the first couple of games and played very poorly but then he had 4 really good games.

Since you brought up PFF, what is his grade since he's returned and what is it compared to Brown's?

That is all well & good but the conversation is about the game on Sunday.

After my initial shock wore off, I actually agree with you on this

In all fairness, any safety in the league will lose that battle

I don't know about that, but Landry clearly has zero business being one on one with any receiver, let alone a good TE. 

I don't know about that, but Landry clearly has zero business being one on one with any receiver, let alone a good TE. 

So don't use him one on one. That doesn't mean he shouldn't play or start. Unless Pagano said he plans to play Landry one on one against Julius Thomas on the goal line, I'm not sure why he shouldn't play.

Not to mention the fact that the Broncos are all about running the ball over the past month-plus, and Landry has been much better against the run since his return, including better than Brown. 

Before the suspension, he struggled in the first couple of games and played very poorly but then he had 4 really good games.

Since you brought up PFF, what is is grade since he's returned and what is it compared to Brown's?

I'm not certain what Landry's grade has been since returning from suspension as I don't have access to pff. Can anyone else provide them? 

Landry seemed to play well against Jacksonville, I'll give you that..but who doesn't?  I think he's ok in run support (still tackles poorly with his missile style approach) but abysmal in coverage. 

I'm not certain what Landry's grade has been since returning from suspension as I don't have access to pff. Can anyone else provide them? 

Landry seemed to play well against Jacksonville, I'll give you that..but who doesn't?  I think he's ok in run support (still tackles poorly with his missile style approach) but abysmal in coverage. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/03/colts-landry-regains-starting-role/

So don't use him one on one. That doesn't mean he shouldn't play or start. Unless Pagano said he plans to play Landry one on one against Julius Thomas on the goal line, I'm not sure why he shouldn't play.

Not to mention the fact that the Broncos are all about running the ball over the past month-plus, and Landry has been much better against the run since his return, including better than Brown. 

This is a great idea. I hope our coaching staff actually employs it. 

Unfortunately, our schemes/coaches think everyone is interchangeable and don't play to our players strengths. Like dropping DQ or Newsome or Walden into coverage for example. 

nw5HT.gif

I won't claim to be an expert because I'm watching most of the games on TV, but I did pay attention to him last week.  I was not impressed.  He looked late to the ball and missed a few tackles.

I wonder what his PFF score was for that game? 

Also, I'm not one of those people who ever wants players to switch positions... but... would he be better as a nickel LB?

If you agreed with me more, you would find yourself on the correct side of virtually every argument on this board.

BTW - my critique of your "is the team already in Denver?" on Monday thread was over the top.  Because the answer is plainly obvious to me does not make it so for everyone else.  Apologies.

And Pagano did address the question today when he said they considered going early but elected to stay with their normal process which means fly out there on Saturday. 

This is a great idea. I hope our coaching staff actually employs it. 

Unfortunately, our schemes/coaches think everyone is interchangeable and don't play to our players strengths. Like dropping DQ or Newsome or Walden into coverage for example. 

I disagree with some of that, but I'm willing to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt and assume that they won't put Landry in that situation in this game. But he is a safety, and has to cover some of the time.

+4.2 with a +3.2 in run support (7th highest among safeties)

Brown is  +2.4.

JT_TD__3_IND_medium.gif

This post should have been a joke.  Since that game, Landry has been injured, benched and (as the article stated) finally earned his starting position back. 

JT_TD__3_IND_medium.gif

Yea, that was bad like really bad....but i guess the FO know's best i wont add my banter as it wont really make a difference lol 

Time should be split.  Sergio plays the ball better and Landry is better against the run.  I say they both should play quite a bit.

I think that's a good approach. A week ago, I'd have expected that, but Sergio didn't get any defensive snaps against the Bengals. So it might be Landry full time again.

Time should be split.  Sergio plays the ball better and Landry is better against the run.  I say they both should play quite a bit.

I think that's a good approach. A week ago, I'd have expected that, but Sergio didn't get any defensive snaps against the Bengals. So it might be Landry full time again.

I think landry got the snaps against the Bengals because without Green and without Gresham the thought was the Bengals were going to try to run the ball, a lot.  Against the Broncos it's tougher because if Brown is in there, I could see Manning checking to runs a lot more and if Landry is in there, I could see him checking to passes more, especially sending JT and Sanders deep between the hashes and the sideline on Landry's side.

Thanks man! 

Landry hadn’t been tested much in coverage until the Dallas game, though, where he gave up two first down catches to Jason Witten and was partially responsible for a TD pass; earning him a -1.3 coverage grade.

So......he seems decent against the run, and not decent in coverage

There were several take aways for me from the game last week that were different than what they had done in the regular season.  One of those was having a 4 DB's line up with Butler, Adams, Toler and Davis.  Butler was essentially a safety.  But then when they went nickel, it was Landry who came into the game.

Hum not sure I saw that!

I think landry got the snaps against the Bengals because without Green and without Gresham the thought was the Bengals were going to try to run the ball, a lot.  Against the Broncos it's tougher because if Brown is in there, I could see Manning checking to runs a lot more and if Landry is in there, I could see him checking to passes more, especially sending JT and Sanders deep between the hashes and the sideline on Landry's side.

That's a logical conclusion. I'm not confident that's actually going to happen, though. And if you put together Landry playing the whole game for the first time with Pagano's statement that he has earned his job back (he's technically been starting and out-repping Brown since the Texans game), it might mean that he's back as the full time safety. 

By the way, since the Texans game, he's given up 4 catches for 25 yards, no TDs. In the first three games, he gave up 7 catches for 105 yards and a TD. Targeting him makes since, but he hasn't exactly been picked on since he's been back in the lineup.