Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bob Sanders

Ramblinwreck7

You know, I remembered something I thought of a couple of weeks ago.

We need SS help, so why not get one of the best ones in the NFL if not the best. If he wants to play, then there is no reason why we shouldn't sign Bob Sanders. Since he got injured again with San Diego, he probably won't cost that much. He'll be a free agent at the end of the season since he signed a 1 year contract with the Chargers.

The upside with Bob is almost limitless, with the downside being very minimal. If he wants to play for us, then why not let him play?

then why not let him play?

That is the whole problem right there . . . can he play?

I absolutely love Bob. He is one of my all time favorite players, but over 50% of the time he is not on the field. When he is he is of course outstanding, but it does not make sense to sign a player who can't play.

We've waited around forever with Bob, why sign him back after we just released him. I think Francisco and Silva are higher on the list than Sanders. Even if he goes for cheap, his cheap is about 2M in cap space. Would just be a waste of time and money.

Bob is the new Edge. The guy that is gone and well past his prime that Colts fans just can't let go of. Sorry Sanders is done. Even if he could some how stay healthy I really doubt a guy who has played in 11 games in four years is going to be what he once was. All those injuries take a toll on your body.

Bob is the new Edge. The guy that is gone and well past his prime that Colts fans just can't let go of. Sorry Sanders is done. Even if he could some how stay healthy I really doubt a guy who has played in 11 games in four years is going to be what he once was. All those injuries take a toll on your body.

Well if you think about it, Bob hasn't taken many hits these last 4 years has he? He may have gotten injured several times, but that's kept him from taking the beating of tackling over and over again. His injuries have healed, so he has to be in pretty good shape unless he is still recovering from his injury with the Chargers.

The difference is that I don't think Bob Sanders is past his prime. Also, I wasn't really a football fan when Edge was here so I don't know what your talking about when it comes to him.

We've waited around forever with Bob, why sign him back after we just released him. I think Francisco and Silva are higher on the list than Sanders. Even if he goes for cheap, his cheap is about 2M in cap space. Would just be a waste of time and money.

He would be cheaper than that I would think. $2 million isn't that much anyways, but if it is, then what team would pay him that?

Well if you think about it, Bob hasn't taken many hits these last 4 years has he? He may have gotten injured several times, but that's kept him from taking the beating of tackling over and over again. His injuries have healed, so he has to be in pretty good shape unless he is still recovering from his injury with the Chargers.

He's more than made up for it with serious injuries. Those take as much of a toll if not more than hits.

His injuries have healed in the past and guess what he just kept getting hurt again and usely quicker than he did the last time. The Colts gave him every chance in the world to prove he could stay healthy. He can't. They aren't going to bring him back. They have enough other key players on this team who can stay healthy to try to figure out how to bring back and then probably have to balance both Manning and Luck's contracts on top of that. I agree we need safety help but it's more likely to come in a later round draft pick. Also Caldwell and Lefeged have both shown promise for undrafted rookies. Give them another year of experience and add some corners and maybe a healthy Bullitt we might not need as much help at safety.

I absolutely love Bob. He is one of my all time favorite players, but over 50% of the time he is not on the field. When he is he is of course outstanding, but it does not make sense to sign a player who can't play.

The point is that if we signed Bob, he would come cheaply. That way if he gets injured which is what might happen then it doesn't make the much of a difference.

It seems like it's kind of common sense to sign Bob if we could get him cheap. If he plays, then we could have one of the best SS's in the league, if not, then we won't lose that much money.

He's more than made up for it with serious injuries. Those take as much of a toll if not more than hits.

His injuries have healed in the past and guess what he just kept getting hurt again and usely quicker than he did the last time. The Colts gave him every chance in the world to prove he could stay healthy. He can't. They aren't going to bring him back. They have enough other key players on this team who can stay healthy to try to figure out how to bring back and then probably have to balance both Manning and Luck's contracts on top of that. I agree we need safety help but it's more likely to come in a later round draft pick. Also Caldwell and Lefeged have both shown promise for undrafted rookies. Give them another year of experience and add some corners and maybe a healthy Bullitt we might not need as much help at safety.

He isn't reinjuring himself, they are different injuries each time I think. And sorry, but one major injury doesn't take as much of a toll on your body as a whole seasons worth of playing. You have one part of your body that gets injured in that scenario, but in the other scenario your whole body gets beat up over time.

He isn't reinjuring himself, they are different injuries each time I think. And sorry, but one major injury doesn't take as much of a toll on your body as a whole seasons worth of playing. You have one part of your body that gets injured in that scenario, but in the other scenario your whole body gets beat up over time.

Which proves he can't stay healthy why on earth do you just expect that to stop happening?

It hasn't been ONE major injury, it's been several. He's played in 11 games over four years. You don't miss that much football and not have it take a physical toll on your body.

Which proves he can't stay healthy why on earth do you just expect that to stop happening?

It hasn't been ONE major injury, it's been several. He's played in 11 games over four years. You don't miss that much football and not have it take a physical toll on your body.

So lets say he gets injured, what's the worse thing that happens? He goes on injured reserve and we lose a small amount of money. Is it really that big of a deal? I'm starting to think that just because it's Bob Sanders, that some people think we shouldn't resign him no matter what. It's not a huge loss if he gets injured, but it's a huge game if he can stay somewhat healthy, if not fully healthy.

So lets say he gets injured, what's the worse thing that happens? He goes on injured reserve and we lose a small amount of money. Is it really that big of a deal? I'm starting to think that just because it's Bob Sanders, that some people think we shouldn't resign him no matter what. It's not a huge loss if he gets injured, but it's a huge game if he can stay somewhat healthy, if not fully healthy.

Like I said he's the new Edge that some people just can't let go of. The Colts have moved on from him I really doubt he's coming back. Why take a risk on a guy that even if he does some how stay healthy is probably nothing more than shadow of his old self? On top of that they would have to cut one of the other younger guys they have been developing to make room for him. I don't see them doing that. It's just not how the Colts do business. We've seen them bring back two guys during this whole run once they left, DeMulling (who didn't even make out of the pre-season when they brought him back) and Rhodes. They wouldn't even bring Marvin Harrison back for a workout when they needed a WR the year they released him because they knew he was done. The odds are they know Sanders is done or they would have tried to keep him when they let him go.

Like I said he's the new Edge that some people just can't let go of. The Colts have moved on from him I really doubt he's coming back. Why take a risk on a guy that even if he does some how stay healthy is probably nothing more than shadow of his old self? On top of that they would have to cut one of the other younger guys they have been developing to make room for him. I don't see them doing that. It's just not how the Colts do business. We've seen them bring back two guys during this whole run once they left, DeMulling (who didn't even make out of the pre-season when they brought him back) and Rhodes. They wouldn't even bring Marvin Harrison back for a workout when they needed a WR the year they released him because they knew he was done. The odds are they know Sanders is done or they would have tried to keep him when they let him go.

Well that's the difference I guess. You think he is done. He's only 30, so the way I see it, he will play at a high level if he stays healthy.

Well that's the difference I guess. You think he is done. He's only 30, so the way I see it, he will play at a high level if he stays healthy.

and I don't think he can stay healthy, history has proven that. He's never played a full season in his career. Even the year he wont DPOY he missed a game. In fact only twice has he played in more than 10 games in a season. I am not expecting that to change after he's coming off playing in 11 games in four years.

You presented your opinion, we presented ours. That is what constitutes a forum; If you wanted to start a post where everyone agreed with you I'm sorry, I don't know where you go to accomplish that.

If your going to reply with nonsense like that then don't reply. I don't care if you agree with me or not. I just don't see how:

1. If he is still good

2. If he is cheap

you don't resign him. GoColts8818 actually said that he doesn't think Bob Sanders can play like he used too. That makes sense. You on the other hand, I have no idea what you think because you don't clarify.

You presented your opinion, we presented ours. That is what constitutes a forum; If you wanted to start a post where everyone agreed with you I'm sorry, I don't know where you go to accomplish that.

If your going to reply with nonsense like that then don't reply. I don't care if you agree with me or not. I just don't see how:

1. If he is still good

2. If he is cheap

you don't resign him. GoColts8818 actually said that he doesn't think Bob Sanders can play like he used too. That makes sense. You on the other hand, I have no idea what you think because you don't clarify.

I thought I made my point clear? If not I will reword it.

I thought I made my point clear? If not I will reword it.

You said you think he is good still right? So if he comes cheap, then there isn't much reason to not sign him. If he gets injured, then we don't lose that much, but if he stays healthy, then we gain a lot.

You didn't explain why you didn't want us to resign Bob when the OP said that he would be cheap. I guess you did explain, but it doesn't make much sense if he is cheap.

I said he is an outstanding player when he plays. He is truly one of my all-time favorite Colts players, and I would never say anything bad about him.

I lived in Erie PA and met some of his family, truly great people, and they talked about what a good and caring person he is which is important to me in the way I view a person. There are a lot of people in that region that became Colts fans because of him, and I was thrilled so many times by the plays he made. It was really a joy to me to watch him play, and although I never met him, I felt I personally knew him through the stories told to me by his family.

I wish he could play, but I just don't see it anymore.

I think the Colts gave him more than ample opportunity to stay with this team, but it just didn't happen.

I don't see him coming back.

We need SS help, so why not get one of the best ones in the NFL if not the best. If he wants to play, then there is no reason why we shouldn't sign Bob Sanders. Since he got injured again with San Diego, he probably won't cost that much. He'll be a free agent at the end of the season since he signed a 1 year contract with the Chargers.

The upside with Bob is almost limitless, with the downside being very minimal. If he wants to play for us, then why not let him play?

No offense Ramblinwreck from Georgia Tech, but we have too many injured players on our roster right now. I like Bob but we have all seen enough to know that he will not be able to hold up long enough to contribute anything meaningful to our cause. If this was 2006 I'd be all over it but the last 5 years have not been kind to Mr. Sanders.

To your last question - the answer is a complete and total inability to stay healthy. How anyone at this point can think bringing Sanders back is a good idea is mind-numbing to me.

Sanders will be unemployed or retired in 2012.

Speaking of gone and well past his prime, remember us resigning Dom Rhodes for almost nothing and how well that worked out for us? He energized the whole offense and gave %150 to the team that showed him loyalty. I'm not saying we should sign Bob Sanders, just that to say that we're just being emotional because we're throwing ideas on how to rejuvinate our team is insulting people's intelligence. .

Speaking of gone and well past his prime, remember us resigning Dom Rhodes for almost nothing and how well that worked out for us? He energized the whole offense and gave %150 to the team that showed him loyalty. I'm not saying we should sign Bob Sanders, just that to say that we're just being emotional because we're throwing ideas on how to rejuvinate our team is insulting people's intelligence. .

Answer 2007.

Question - When was the last time Sanders stayed healthy for an entire season?

With that as the question and answer there is no way around the fact that this is an idea that has less than zero chance of happening.

I love the fantasy, but the pain of injuries the past two years has been so ridiculous that I don't like the idea of gambling on a known problem. The guy just can't stay healthy. I'm an eternal optimist, but at this point you flat out expect him to get hurt at any moment. You build your team out of training camp with the expectation of each player filling a certain role. Sanders has put the Colts behind the eight ball mid-season year after year after year. As Colts1888 said, not only do you miss Sanders when he is injured, but you lose another player who might have been developed in his place. Who knows how much better the Colts might be right now if they had cut bait and replaced Sanders years ago instead of filing in with scrubs and trying to wait until he returns. I'm tired of waiting.

The guy missed two seasons because of bicep injuries. What is that? You have to think that the same thing that makes him so effective for his size (ridiculous muscularity) works against him when it comes to fragility. We can conjecture about whether he comes by it naturally or with assistance, but either way there is a problem there. Enough is enough.

The difference is that I don't think Bob Sanders is past his prime. Also, I wasn't really a football fan when Edge was here so I don't know what your talking about when it comes to him.

Well.....his comment about Edge wasn't accurate anyway as far as play on the field..... its a terrible comparison. Edge gained 1100+ yards rushing his first year on the Cards, and 1200+ yards his second year with them. Add another 200 yards per season receiving.

Bob Sanders was a big favorite of mine too, but he has come no where near the SS equivalent of that kind of production...i.e. tackles, interceptions... and has shown no durability whatsoever.

I wouldn't even sign Sanders for the vet minimum at this point.

Well.....his comment about Edge wasn't accurate anyway as far as play on the field..... its a terrible comparison. Edge gained 1100+ yards rushing his first year on the Cards, and 1200+ yards his second year with them. Add another 200 yards per season receiving.

Bob Sanders was a big favorite of mine too, but he has come no where near the SS equivalent of that kind of production...i.e. tackles, interceptions... and has shown no durability whatsoever.

I wouldn't even sign Sanders for the vet minimum at this point.

I wasn't comparing Edge to Sanders in terms of play. I was comparing him in terms of a guy we let go that fans wanted to bring back even when it was clear Edge was well past his prime. IE when Edge was playing for the Seahawks and got cut and people were saying we should sign him.

I wasn't comparing Edge to Sanders in terms of play. I was comparing him in terms of a guy we let go that fans wanted to bring back even when it was clear Edge was well past his prime. IE when Edge was playing for the Seahawks and got cut and people were saying we should sign him.

Well, yeah.... Edge was definitely past his prime when Seattle released him but he was way more durable than Sanders in his career.

Bob Sanders is just in a category of his own when it comes to any thought of resigning him. It would be like spending $5000 to fix a car worth $500. The man is simply not capable of staying healthy.

Well, yeah.... Edge was definitely past his prime when Seattle released him but he was way more durable than Sanders in his career.

Bob Sanders is just in a category of his own when it comes to any thought of resigning him. It would be like spending $5000 to fix a car worth $500. The man is simply not capable of staying healthy.

Again I am not comparing Edge to Sanders in terms of being durable or anything to do with injuries.

I was comparing him in that some fans can't let go of Sanders like they couldn't let go of Edge. That's it.

Answer 2007.

Question - When was the last time Sanders stayed healthy for an entire season?

With that as the question and answer there is no way around the fact that this is an idea that has less than zero chance of happening.

The real answer is never, Sanders missed a game in 2007 and has only played in more than six games in a season twice in his career (05 and 07) but has never played in a full season in his career.

Bob Sanders is wreckless and fragile, what the colts need is a young saftey out of the draft who has good awareness and speed but at the same time can hit.

I think bob would take away from us developing a real ss. Maybe he could be a back up. He would have to be very cheap. Those injury stats are ridiculous.

I think bob would take away from us developing a real ss. Maybe he could be a back up. He would have to be very cheap. Those injury stats are ridiculous.

I think so too, i dont like the way the colts switch between caldwell and lefedge they should stick to one saftey and develop one.. switching in and out just keeps them from getting a feel for the whats going on in the game.