Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Can Co-Exist With Manning.

SubZero

Irsay said this week he wants him and Manning here next year.

Luck sounds open to the idea.

That leaves Manning who frankly has the least amount of say in this because he's under contract and it's the Colts who would either have to make a trade or choose not to pick up the option. He can't just say I want out and be out.

If Manning is healthy it looks like Manning and Luck both here next year which I think is the smart move. it should sure up the QB spot for the next 15 years and the Colts have proven they know how to win if you give them a franchise QB. I know there are other areas of need but frankly I think we have a Peyton Manning or what Andrew Luck is expected to be this team is 8-4 or 9-3 right now and those other areas of needs aren't nearly as big of needs. We can address them going forward with other picks in the draft and in future drafts.

The stars are aligning too much on this. Funny how he was in Baltimore the same week as the Colts are facing the Ravens. He already has a relationship with Peyton and the Mannings. Polian's nephew is the special teams assistant coach at Stanford.

His last name is Luck and he will be wearing a lucky horseshoe on his helmet. I say just cut Painter and give Andrew the number "7" as well! Although I am sure Luck will prefer to stick with "12".

If Peyton is healthy enough to play next year...he is still our guy and I don't see Irsay shipping him off. Whether or not Peyton and Luck co-exist here is the Colts' decision not the media's.

Also, I think if you look at it from Andrews perspective, what would you rather do?

1) Sit for a couple off years on a team that, other than this year, has won more games then any team over the last decade?

2) Start right away for a team like Miami or Washington that has been bad for the last decade?

I am growing to like the idea of both of them on the Colts next year.

"Manning has more leverage than many think. "

I don't agree at all. He got paid 28 million bucks for no work, he's still not healthy. He has almost no leverage here, he's under contract, and nobody is going to pay him half of what he's making right now, considering he hasn't played in more than a year.

I don't agree at all. He got paid 28 million bucks for no work, he's still not healthy. He has almost no leverage here, he's under contract, and nobody is going to pay him half of what he's making right now, considering he hasn't played in more than a year.

Its not like manning is a crippled old man. hes not healthy YET. the fusion is going to take a little bit longer. but i have no doubt he is coming back in 2012 and be his normal self.

No leverage? He's under contract but to remain under contract he is due 28 million, by a certain date(March 8th I beleive). All he has to say is that he's not certain if he wants to continue to play or not. If they don't pick up the option and pay him 28 million he's a free agent.

It' s not like they could pay him 1million to retain his rights. Of course they would throw the money away to do that but @ 28 million, with the salary cap ramifications?

Is he too professional to act that way? or to force his way out? Likely, but please don't act like he doesn't have leverage. He most certainly does.

" All he has to say is that he's not certain if he wants to continue to play or not. If they don't pick up the option and pay him 28 million he's a free agent. "

That doesn't sound right, If you could explain that or show me what your talking about via an article or something.

I'm reading that like this "we pay him 28 million, and if he decides he doesn't wana play here he can just demand a trade and get paid by the colts".

I'd suspect the FO would cut him before it comes to that, and I don't think the Colts would honor that request if they think he can play again. That's what I'm getting at by saying he has no leverage here.

By leverage are you implying he has enough pull to convince the FO not to draft Luck? I'm saying he's not going to get better treatment anywhere else regardless of what the team does in the draft.

" All he has to say is that he's not certain if he wants to continue to play or not. If they don't pick up the option and pay him 28 million he's a free agent. "

That doesn't sound right, If you could explain that or show me what your talking about via an article or something.

I'm reading that like this "we pay him 28 million, and if he decides he doesn't wana play here he can just demand a trade and get paid by the colts".

I'd suspect the FO would cut him before it comes to that, and I don't think the Colts would honor that request if they think he can play again. That's what I'm getting at by saying he has no leverage here.

By leverage are you implying he has enough pull to convince the FO not to draft Luck? I'm saying he's not going to get better treatment anywhere else regardless of what the team does in the draft.

I don't know what part of that was complicated. I didn't say that HE SAID IT or even WOULD say it, it is something he COULD say if he chose to if he felt he was healthy and would prefer the team to trade the pick for a package to help the team in his final years. That is the leverage I'm talking about since to continue to have him under contract they are going to have to pay him 28 million fort that to happen.

I wasn't saying that we pay him 28 million and he forces his way , not sure where that even came from. I'm saying that he could make his thoughts known prior to the date, and fib/lie, whatever you want to call and just say that he's not sure if he wants to continue or not. BEFORE the # is due. If that were to happen, they aren't going to pay the option bonus, thus making him a free agent, and free to sign elsewhere.

I'm just saying he has leverage to force a move prior to the bonus if he wants to or chooses to use it.

I think we all have to agree that Peyton's career is coming to an end sooner than later. It could be over now or it could be over in 5 years, or anywhere in between. The point is that we as fans are now being faced with this reality, and its not something we ever wanted to think about. We all wish we could have Manning play for another decade, and I'd guess so does the entire NFL (except maybe Rex Ryan).

Reality and common sense tells us that can't happen. Some of us say its time to move on now, given the chance to draft a replacement, and others say to play Manning until he retire, and then figure it out from there.

However, what I am sure we can all agree on is that we need CLOSURE to his career, no matter when its done. Seeing his career end with out being able to see him take a snap, or call an audible, or lead a game winning drive just one last time would just be unfair.

We think we all need at least one more season of Manning to have a proper farewell, to see him play one last time, before we can appreciatively welcome in a new quarterback.

Just my thoughts....

If Peyton is still not fully recovered when it comes time to pay his $28M bonus then the Colts will have touch decision to make: 1) Spend $28M on a player who may not ever fully recover or 2) Cut him and get nothing. As Kravitz has already pointed out, spending $28M on a 36-yr old quarterback who has had 3 neck surgeries in 19 months AND paying Luck on top of that would not allow the Colts to field a competitive team from a salary cap standpoint. Since Manning's $28M bonus is due before the start of the season they cannot trade him. But if the Colts get the #1 pick, they almost certainly will pick Luck, which would be tantamount to admitting that Manning is on the way out.

If Peyton is still not fully recovered when it comes time to pay his $28M bonus then the Colts will have touch decision to make: 1) Spend $28M on a player who may not ever fully recover or 2) Cut him and get nothing. As Kravitz has already pointed out, spending $28M on a 36-yr old quarterback who has had 3 neck surgeries in 19 months AND paying Luck on top of that would not allow the Colts to field a competitive team from a salary cap standpoint. Since Manning's $28M bonus is due before the start of the season they cannot trade him. But if the Colts get the #1 pick, they almost certainly will pick Luck, which would be tantamount to admitting that Manning is on the way out.

My opinion is that we will know by that point in time exactly what condition he will be in. If he's not healthy, the option isn't picked up. End of story. If he is, that is when the franchise has to start making decisions on what they want to do.

I think that Manning/Luck together will be awesome. It will be a great combination because I dont want to admit it,but Peyton Manning only has a few years left before he retires. I think he will retire and that will be it. It wont be I might come back for the right amount of money ie Kerry Collins or I will come back over and over again maybe just to keep me on the ESPN news ie Brett Farve. After Peyton Manning leaves Andy Luck will have so much practice and coaching from Peyton Manning he will be good to go for 10+ years after Peyton Manning is gone...and we will win the AFC South over and over again as well as win Superbowl's.....Hoorah!

I think that Manning/Luck together will be awesome. It will be a great combination because I dont want to admit it,but Peyton Manning only has a few years left before he retires. I think he will retire and that will be it. It wont be I might come back for the right amount of money ie Kerry Collins or I will come back over and over again maybe just to keep me on the ESPN news ie Brett Farve. After Peyton Manning leaves Andy Luck will have so much practice and coaching from Peyton Manning he will be good to go for 10+ years after Peyton Manning is gone...and we will win the AFC South over and over again as well as win Superbowl's.....Hoorah!

It will be Amelio....

Its a done deal....ESPN...NFL Network..They're all saying that word from Indy is we will sign Manning and take Luck...

I think Manning wold like to name his successor and now he can..

Earlier today Shannon Sharpe brought up an interesting situation. He explained that Colt McCoy is not the long term answer for the Cleveland Browns, so that possibly puts them in the market for a QB in this 2012 draft. They currently have two first-round picks this upcoming draft.

Scenario is: #1 pick (Andrew Luck) from Colts for their two first-rounders AND a first round for the 2013 draft. Would you approve of this deal? Why or why not?

Earlier today Shannon Sharpe brought up an interesting situation. He explained that Colt McCoy is not the long term answer for the Cleveland Browns, so that possibly puts them in the market for a QB in this 2012 draft. They currently have two first-round picks this upcoming draft.

Scenario is: #1 pick (Andrew Luck) from Colts for their two first-rounders AND a first round for the 2013 draft. Would you approve of this deal? Why or why not?

But it's a done deal.. ask ESPN & the NFL network. We won't even bat an eye any possible trades, or other selections. Oh and we are going to pick Manning's option whether he's healthy or not.. It's all a done deal.

It will be Amelio....

Its a done deal....ESPN...NFL Network..They're all saying that word from Indy is we will sign Manning and take Luck...

I think Manning wold like to name his successor and now he can..

I like it. Sometimes its not all shouts of joy and glee. We had a hard season but I applaud our guys for trying, despite what some people will say we are not in their shoes.....

I think we all have to agree that Peyton's career is coming to an end sooner than later. It could be over now or it could be over in 5 years, or anywhere in between. The point is that we as fans are now being faced with this reality, and its not something we ever wanted to think about. We all wish we could have Manning play for another decade, and I'd guess so does the entire NFL (except maybe Rex Ryan).

Reality and common sense tells us that can't happen. Some of us say its time to move on now, given the chance to draft a replacement, and others say to play Manning until he retire, and then figure it out from there.

However, what I am sure we can all agree on is that we need CLOSURE to his career, no matter when its done. Seeing his career end with out being able to see him take a snap, or call an audible, or lead a game winning drive just one last time would just be unfair.

We think we all need at least one more season of Manning to have a proper farewell, to see him play one last time, before we can appreciatively welcome in a new quarterback.

Just my thoughts....I couldn't agree more. We need 18# for at least one more playoff run. He needs to go out as a winner then he can ride off into the sunset the winner he his. A COLT WINNER!!!

I dont like the idea, not unless they know for a fact Peytons career is over.

This season has made it very clear that we have a heck of a lot of holes that need filling! Even if we had Manning at 100% this season we would be very lucky to be .500 at this point.

If Peyton is going to be back at 100% the team will be in the dumps until he retires as he will have no one around him. We need to improve in so many areas and trading the pick might just fill some of those holes.

Well, I think what we learned this year is that we HAVE to have two QBs. If we keep Manning and trade the Luck pick, what happens if next year Manning gets hurt? Or if we cut Manning and draft Luck, what if Luck gets hurt?? So it seems to make the most sense to have both of them.

I really do hope we scrap these systems and put in something new. Clearly, Luck has been very successful in Harbaughs west coast offense. Manning can run any offense. So maybe we should move towards a west coast offense so that it is not a "Manning Only Offensive". Defensively, it will probably never happen but I am so tired of the Tampa-2. I do wonder if the reason we have so many injuries is the defensive is on the field so much.

Well, I think what we learned this year is that we HAVE to have two QBs. If we keep Manning and trade the Luck pick, what happens if next year Manning gets hurt? Or if we cut Manning and draft Luck, what if Luck gets hurt?? So it seems to make the most sense to have both of them.

I really do hope we scrap these systems and put in something new. Clearly, Luck has been very successful in Harbaughs west coast offense. Manning can run any offense. So maybe we should move towards a west coast offense so that it is not a "Manning Only Offensive". Defensively, it will probably never happen but I am so tired of the Tampa-2. I do wonder if the reason we have so many injuries is the defensive is on the field so much.

So much wrong with this post, but I'll address the simplest:

Our defense is injured because they are on the field so much. That's exactly the explanation. It's not the conditioning coaches, because injuries are random. Big guys running into, stomping on, or tripping over other big guys will lead to injuries.

Now, why are we on the field so much? It's not scheme related, I can tell you that right now. With the right personnel and coaching, any defensive scheme can stop anybody. There are such a variety of schemes in the game right now, and a wide array of them are successful. The reason we are on the field so much is because our offense is terrible. They are forced to punt every 90 seconds and our defense has to come right back onto the field.

So much wrong with this post, but I'll address the simplest:

Our defense is injured because they are on the field so much. That's exactly the explanation. It's not the conditioning coaches, because injuries are random. Big guys running into, stomping on, or tripping over other big guys will lead to injuries.

Now, why are we on the field so much? It's not scheme related, I can tell you that right now. With the right personnel and coaching, any defensive scheme can stop anybody. There are such a variety of schemes in the game right now, and a wide array of them are successful. The reason we are on the field so much is because our offense is terrible. They are forced to punt every 90 seconds and our defense has to come right back onto the field.

Exactly the Bears use a cover-2 system very much like ours and they are one of the better Ds in the NFL year in and year out. Ours is a combnation of coaching and not having good enough players.