Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Broncos -- The Matchup (merge)

MJD42

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this matchup. Can't wait for Sunday!

This is definitely the matchup I was hoping for. Baltimore took care of business yesterday, we took care of business today. Now we go to Denver, where we have a better chance than in New England.

Still have to play better. Drops, penalties and fumbles really took the wind out of our sails today. Could have been a 40 point outburst, otherwise. Some sloppy defense early on, also, and not a lot of pass rush until we started blitzing basically every down. Can't do that against Manning.

But yeah, despite the Manning vs Colts angst, I definitely think this is the preferred matchup.

Our secondary is one of the strengths of the team. Stopping the run will be the challenge

As we've seen all season long when facing elite QBs with stud offensive lines, the Colts secondary has gotten scorched due to a lack of consistent pass rush. That will happen to even the best of secondaries when the opposing QB has time to throw. That HAS to change next Sunday, especially considering Peyton's ultra-quick release.

As we've seen all season long when facing elite QBs with stud offensive lines, the Colts secondary has gotten scorched due to a lack of consistent pass rush. That will happen to even the best of secondaries when the opposing QB has time to throw. That HAS to change next Sunday, especially considering Peyton's ultra-quick release.

Peyton's quick passing is the reason the team has to play great coverage. Force him to hold it and go through his reads. Sadly, we don't have a pass rusher who will consistently beat his mean, unless Newsome gets plenty of reps and has a great game. I don't know if we can count on that, because the Broncos want to run the ball, and Newsome isn't good at setting the edge.

If we can play tight coverage, get good push up the middle, and beat some blockers on the edge, we might be able to make some plays. That was the key in the 2013 matchup. 

That HAS to change next Sunday, especially considering Peyton's ultra-quick release.

Make Peyton go long and stop the run/underneath stuff first. You don't even need to pressure Peyton regularly. He's very mistake prone this season even when not pressured. Unless this is the game he suddenly turns that around, no reason to think otherwise.

Sanders is their biggest threat imo. Peyton has made a lot of off throws or in to coverage where Sanders fights/finds a way to catch it. The guy is a playmaker. Thomas and Thomas don't scare me nearly as much.

And the Colts got lit up multiple times this season.

One of your great "secondary" guy got put into the NBC camera who was yapping all game. Had to be taken out of the club.

And the Pats' secondary did a better job against the Colts shutting down Wayne and Hilton.

Didn't Brady have two interceptions against that bad colts secondary?

This is definitely the matchup I was hoping for. Baltimore took care of business yesterday, we took care of business today. Now we go to Denver, where we have a better chance than in New England.

Still have to play better. Drops, penalties and fumbles really took the wind out of our sails today. Could have been a 40 point outburst, otherwise. Some sloppy defense early on, also, and not a lot of pass rush until we started blitzing basically every down. Can't do that against Manning.

But yeah, despite the Manning vs Colts angst, I definitely think this is the preferred matchup.

Why? Is it because you think Manning is indeed declining or is just match ups? Denver has not lost at home which includes beating the Colts in week 1.

I think the Colts can win this game. Their defense looked solid today with a good rush. If they can do that to Manning then they will get some ducks. Luck and TY need to be sharper. And no fumbles. Have to play clean. Denver has not lost at home so it will be a big challenge to beat them there. Anyone know what the weather is supposed to be?

Gosh I thought Andrew was pretty sharp today. NFL.com has it as 5 drops. Anyway , I appreciate your view. Here's how Greg Rosenthal (unbiased I think) saw it...

. This was a team win for the Colts. But Luck was absolutely sensational, and he would have ended up with far more than 376 yards and a touchdown if not for five drops, mostly in the first half, that kept the game close. We believe this was his best game all season because he didn't come close to making a single mistake, and he pulled off 6-7 throws that few quarterbacks could make. Many of his completions came on throws that other quarterbacks wouldn't attempt.

2. The Bengals' secondary is underrated and had tight coverage for most of the day. But Luck is an expert at mixing up his velocity and touch depending on what the throw requires. He's not afraid to fit passes into small windows.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000453967/article/colts-easily-dispatch-bengals-move-on-to-face-broncos

Peyton's quick passing is the reason the team has to play great coverage. Force him to hold it and go through his reads. Sadly, we don't have a pass rusher who will consistently beat his mean, unless Newsome gets plenty of reps and has a great game. I don't know if we can count on that, because the Broncos want to run the ball, and Newsome isn't good at setting the edge.

If we can play tight coverage, get good push up the middle, and beat some blockers on the edge, we might be able to make some plays. That was the key in the 2013 matchup. 

I think we need to bring Landry and Brown on some blitzes and play press man and also disguise some zone coverage in the middle at times to throw Peyton off.  I'm hoping Luck controls the offense, doing check downs and moving the chains to keep Peyton off the field a lot. 

And the Colts got lit up multiple times this season.

One of your great "secondary" guy got put into the NBC camera who was yapping all game. Had to be taken out of the club.

And the Pats' secondary did a better job against the Colts shutting down Wayne and Hilton.

Will you please go to your Patriots forum? Nothing but a troll. We are playing Denver now. We are not worried about the Patriots right now, so this topic should not even be discussed right now. Go away.

It was a nice win against a team we already dominated in the regular season with just a mediocre QB that missed his number 1 receiver and tight end. Not taking away anything but Colts looked good against average teams and now have to proof they can beat the big guys. Still chances are there and Peyton Manning always had his problems in the playoffs especially after a bye weak...

You mean the same mediocre Bengals that beat Denver?

The line looked good, but Mewhort had kind of a rough day. I was plesently surprised at how much time they gave Luck to throw the pigskin around.

A friend (Bengal fan) posted, "I just saw Andrew Luck standing in the pocket, doing his taxes."

It's been pointed out how horrible Cincinnati's pass rush is, but our O-line stepped up in a big way.

This is going to be a good game, as a Pats fan I want the Colts to beat Denver :)

The question is, will the Colts be able to shut down players like Thomas & Sanders? 

The only way I see the Colts win this game is if they keep this a low scoring affair...

Thanks for such a stellar take ..

now go back to Boston and ....    =e997reer9y8yw=yyu

This is going to be a good game, as a Pats fan I want the Colts to beat Denver :)

The question is, will the Colts be able to shut down players like Thomas & Sanders? 

The only way I see the Colts win this game is if they keep this a low scoring affair...

Colts secondary played a below average Bengals team with no real WR's today that hasn't won a playoff game in 20+ years.  

Bengals had no AJ Green or Jermaine Gresham.

and what does that have to do with the entire season? So I guess you are saying the bengals have one of the worst receiving corps in football because they didn't have their best for a game?

I am not saying we win, but right now I am not feeling we get blown out either. Our two games vs. Denver since Manning has been there have been quite competitive. We historically in many recent years have given Denver a lot of tough games as well. We had a chance to even tie the thing week 1 too.......but thats water under the bridge now.

I always felt Peyton played better in AFCCG's then divisional games too if my memory is right.

As always though the story lines will be big for this one. At the very least people will get some good photo ops.

Just glad we are not headed to NE so we don't have a full week of "You can't compete with us.......you just can't. We home. We own ya. We da best."

Doesn't seem to me the Broncos have been protecting Peyton all that well lately.  Bengals had plenty of pressure on Peyton last week it seemed to me.  We may be able to get more pressure than we got the first time around.

A friend (Bengal fan) posted, "I just saw Andrew Luck standing in the pocket, doing his taxes."

It's been pointed out how horrible Cincinnati's pass rush is, but our O-line stepped up in a big way.

Lol sorry had to laugh at what your Bengal friend posted . Now that is funny

id take Talib/Harris over Revis Browner. Talib and Revis are close but Harris is way better than Browner imo

Talib hasn't played an entire AFC title game healthy.  Harris is unproven in the big game post season too.

Revis/Browner is a better tandem.

But the Patriots overall have the best secondary in the NFL with the most depth at CB and Safety.