Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cherilus to I.R.

Everyone

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll be fine since Reitz is back. Reitz is OK playing inside, he's just awful at T. As others have said Mewhort can keep playing at RT with Reitz at one of the G spots. Honestly our line may be better this way since Cherilus has been playing injured all season.

Yup. Decent guard. Terrible tackle. He has slow feet.

They are strapped with his big contract. He won't be cut.

Not true.

If they keep Cherilus in 2015, his cap hit is $6.9m, and his cap hit in 2016 goes up to $9.9m.

If they release him and designate him as a post-June 1 release, the cap penalty is only $2.9m in 2015, and then they'll have another cap penalty of $5.8m in 2016. That's a cap savings of $11m over two seasons.

I think the odds of that happening just went way up. I was already beginning to lean that way.

What do you want him to say?

I think people must expect a head coach to go out there and be an Ernest Hemingway / Oscar Wilde hybrid during his press conferences.

Fact of the matter is that the reporters ask the same tired questions over and over again, wash, rinse, repeat. No question the coach says the same things over and over again. And it's not just Pagano, all of them speak in cliches and repeat themselves. 

I think people must expect a head coach to go out there and be an Ernest Hemingway / Oscar Wilde hybrid during his press conferences.

Fact of the matter is that the reporters ask the same tired questions over and over again, wash, rinse, repeat. No question the coach says the same things over and over again. And it's not just Pagano, all of them speak in cliches and repeat themselves. 

At least his mouth don't write checks his team can't cash.  ( Rex Ryan ) :goodluck:

Not true.

If they keep Cherilus in 2015, his cap hit is $6.9m, and his cap hit in 2016 goes up to $9.9m.

If they release him and designate him as a post-June 1 release, the cap penalty is only $2.9m in 2015, and then they'll have another cap penalty of $5.8m in 2016. That's a cap savings of $11m over two seasons.

I think the odds of that happening just went way up. I was already beginning to lean that way.

I doubt Grigson would eat the 2.9 mil and 5.8 mil.

Plus, then it looks like he goofed up by signing Cherilus in the first place.

My money says he will be back next year.

Fox 59 thinks Nixon will start at RT...

http://fox59.com/2014/12/31/colts-place-ot-gosder-cherilus-on-injured-reserve/

INDIANAPOLIS (Dec. 31, 2014) – The Colts’ ever-changing offensive line will again be forced to evolve as the playoffs arrive.

On Wednesday afternoon offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus was placed on injured reserve, per a release from the team.

Cherilus started 13 games this season before missing the final three games with a shoulder injury.

Xavier Nixon will likely start in his place for the Colts’ AFC Wild Card game against the Bengals on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Injuries have not been something new to the offensive line since their have been ten different line combinations since the start of the season. With Cherilus out, the Colts signed offensive guard David Arkin from the practice squad to the active roster.

I doubt Grigson would eat the 2.9 mil and 5.8 mil.

Plus, then it looks like he goofed up by signing Cherilus in the first place.

My money says he will be back next year.

He already ate it. There's nothing anyone can do about the $2.9m and the $5.8m. It's already spent. If Grigson goofed, it happened in the past. 

By the way, I don't think Grigson is worried about looking like he made a mistake. I think he's worried about building a good roster. And with regard to Cherilus, he got a pretty big contract, but his problem is that he hasn't been healthy and so, hasn't played up to the contract. That doesn't mean Grigson was wrong to sign him. These are the risks of free agency.

I'm not guaranteeing anything. I just don't think you determine to pay a guy more money just because you already paid him a bunch of money. 

The Colts talking heads on twitter seem to think Reitz will be in at RT.

I think that would be a mistake by Pagano.

INDIANAPOLIS (Dec. 31, 2014) – The Colts’ ever-changing offensive line will again be forced to evolve as the playoffs arrive.

On Wednesday afternoon offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus was placed on injured reserve, per a release from the team.

Cherilus started 13 games this season before missing the final three games with a shoulder injury.

Xavier Nixon will likely start in his place for the Colts’ AFC Wild Card game against the Bengals on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Injuries have not been something new to the offensive line since their have been ten different line combinations since the start of the season. With Cherilus out, the Colts signed offensive guard David Arkin from the practice squad to the active roster.

None of these guys know who's going to start. It's still Wednesday. Two more days of practice, and then questions about who's actually healthy and ready to play, and then we'll probably all find out on Sunday morning. 

None of these guys know who's going to start. It's still Wednesday. Two more days of practice, and then questions about who's actually healthy and ready to play, and then we'll probably all find out on Sunday morning. 

Mewhort is the only choice that gives Luck any chance of surviving.

We'll be fine since Reitz is back. Reitz is OK playing inside, he's just awful at T. As others have said Mewhort can keep playing at RT with Reitz at one of the G spots. Honestly our line may be better this way since Cherilus has been playing injured all season.

I agree..Reitz at guard is not bad....This is a loss....at home we'll be okay

I seriously hope that the bolded is merely disinformation being fed to the enemy.

It has to be JM...       

I think JM obviously performed better against TN than did Nixon against Dallas.  Maybe the difference in competition makes the comparison unfair, but Nixon got smoked all game long at RT. 

And I think Nixon is a capable LG, who can play there if JM played RT.  The decisions along the oline this year, well every year, just seem to be the opposite of obvious.

Maybe the coaches feel its best to just have the left side locked down so they can concentrate on scheme protecting the right side during this playoff game.

"I am not sure who are starters are if everyone is healthy"

Im not sure coaching staff does either actually, They know who they want no doubt but I don't think they know as of right now with the exception of Castonzo

Gavin........

The fact that you and I don't know doesn't mean the coaches don't know.

Gosder has been iffy for a long time.    No doubt they've been planning for this for some time.    As you saw one week ago,  Mewhort moved to RT.

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that's where he'll be in the playoffs.     With the long cast of suspects filling in inside at G/C/G.

I have to believe this has been on their radar for a long, long time...   it's part of coaching.

Gavin........

The fact that you and I don't know doesn't mean the coaches don't know.

Gosder has been iffy for a long time.    No doubt they've been planning for this for some time.    As you saw one week ago,  Mewhort moved to RT.

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that's where he'll be in the playoffs.     With the long cast of suspects filling in inside at G/C/G.

I have to believe this has been on their radar for a long, long time...   it's part of coaching.

after this year I think your giving the Coaching Staff Way Too Much Credit.. we may be winning with a 11-5 record, but the Eye test tells everyone where we are.

I'm rooting for the colts, but the coaches desicions and play calls on both sides of the ball makes me .... wll lets just say not Confident ..  Wins are Great, but what I seen this year is... most teams get better towards the end of the year.. Broncos running game.. Patriots ( nuff said) ... Panthers last 6 games ( reminds me of 06 Colts).... Colts in 14... <

after this year I think your giving the Coaching Staff Way Too Much Credit.. we may be winning with a 11-5 record, but the Eye test tells everyone where we are.

I'm rooting for the colts, but the coaches desicions and play calls on both sides of the ball makes me .... wll lets just say not Confident ..  Wins are Great, but what I seen this year is... most teams get better towards the end of the year.. Broncos running game.. Patriots ( nuff said) ... Panthers last 6 games ( reminds me of 06 Colts).... Colts in 14... <

I think you're reading way too much into a single post.

I think we win Sunday.....   and after that, I have no expectation of winning.     We might beat whoever is next.   But I won't be surprised if we lose.      I will be surprised if we lose this Sunday.

And while you're not a fan of this coaching staff,  for the most part,  I am.

Exactly!  That would be original....I don't care what he says, but I started a drinking game based on "sticking to the process" and my liver can't handle it anymore.

its just his version of Dungy's "do what we do". Most coaches have a coach speech line they go to so they don't tip their hand and say something they will regret saying later either because they didn't mean it or they gave away too much info.