Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter Visiting Colts Next Week

Bluefire4

I don't recall there being any off-the-field issues with Duron. He just hated school. All of his issues were academic.

The QB of the JC team that Carter played on had nothing good to say about him.   Torched him pretty badly.   It was posted here and not pretty to read.  

In a nutshell, he called him a selfish egomaniac and a terrible teammate.    And I may have accidentally sugar-coated that.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it takes a couple kicks in the pants before reality sets in.  At least that's how it worked out for Chris Carter who had a bad attitude and some strong drug issues when he was with the Eagles.  Hopefully his son Duron has worked on some of his rough spots. If he has, then I welcome him to Indy if we sign him. If he has not, then he will remove his own self by his own actions.

My only concern is that if he had a problem with academics, what was it?  Does he have a learning disability, or was it he just didn't give a flip about school?  I can understand an NFL wide receiver not needing trig or chemistry, etc.  but is it because he can't learn or he doesn't want to learn? 

I guess what I am saying is will he have trouble understanding the playbook?  I know that may sound like a stupid question but its completely valid,  how would that translate?  Just playin devils advocate is all

What stands out to me most is his body control.

However although it's hard to tell from a video, I'm concerned if he has the speed to be any kind of a deep threat in the NFL.  He can outrun those guys in Canada, but can he do it in the big leagues?  Looks can be deceiving but he honestly doesn't look that fast.

Sounds like he could be Reggie's replacment, having CC as your dad and having Reggie being a mentor. . . that would be a good way to start your career,

My only concern is that if he had a problem with academics, what was it?  Does he have a learning disability, or was it he just didn't give a flip about school?  I can understand an NFL wide receiver not needing trig or chemistry, etc.  but is it because he can't learn or he doesn't want to learn? 

I guess what I am saying is will he have trouble understanding the playbook?  I know that may sound like a stupid question but its completely valid,  how would that translate?  Just playin devils advocate is all

Sounds like he could be Reggie's replacment, having CC as your dad and having Reggie being a mentor. . . that would be a good way to start your career,

Well it seems like he got good enough grades in high school to go to Ohio State right away.  You might not need great grades to get into Ohio State on a football scholarship but you can't completely fail at high school.  

In my experience people flunking out of college is more often a problem of not caring enough or not working hard enough at it then it is a problem of not being smart enough.  It's really easy to become distracted in college and the difficulty of the classes increases so at lot of people who used to get by in high school with very little effort start to have problems in college because they expected to be able to do the same thing there.  

And let's remember he's not a QB, he's a WR.  Still takes some ability but very little attention is paid to WR's smarts.

It is of course worth questioning but I don't think that will be his problem in the NFL.  I'm more worried that his problem will be route running or something of that nature.  It looks like he's able to out athlete players in the CFL, but he's not going to be able to do that in the NFL, so he will have to have good technique.  

His dad stated that his son simply doesn't like school.

He's super athletic and super capable. I don't know about his route-running; the only videos I've watched are just highlight videos, mostly long bombs or screens that he takes to the house. 

Problem is, though, that people who don't like school aren't going to be excited about film study and digging into the playbook and all that stuff. I think guys like Duron Carter (and Da'Rick Rogers) have ceilings on them because of that. Generally speaking, guys who bounce around between schools because of academic issues and have to go to B-leagues because of poor reputations aren't going to have sustained success in the NFL.

College stats are great and all, but you have to do it in the NFL. There are exceptions, but rookie WRs seldom have huge rookie seasons. Carter caught all of five passes during his rookie season, so I'd relax about Moncrief's season.

My post had nothing to do with Moncrief's rookie season. I have said all a long WR's usually put it all together in year 3 not sure what you are talking about. .

My post had nothing to do with Moncrief's rookie season. I have said all a long WR's usually put it all together in year 3 not sure what you are talking about. .

. My response is actually to Hammer who suggested Moncrief would argue Colts have underutilized him - I used your quote to highlight the fact that Moncrief, like CC, needs time as a rookie WR. Sorry for the confusion.

We need to sign this kid ASAP. He has loads of potential and IMO will be an Immediate impact player. However, with Wayne and Nicks hopefully leaving/retiring I'd also draft a WR early. My goal would be DGB in the 2nd. Hilton, Moncrief, Carter, Green Beckham, Whalen would be solid IMO.

I think Minn will be pretty good competition. They treated his dad pretty well and have what looks to be a good QB in Bridgewater.

Yeah, I think he will end up there after all the visits are done...he sees them on Jan 9...after the Colts visit.

We would probably be better off with a good high draft pick.

Beyond his dad say his son simply doesn't like school,  was the report from the QB of the JC team Carter played for.

He basically called Carter a selfish egomaniac and a terrible teammate.    The worst he had ever played with.

I think there's much more to this than what Dad wants to admit to........

I'm in favor of signing Carter,  but the kid does have a lot of baggage for such a young age....

Looks like Duron Carter is making his way around different teams. We've all heard the news of mutual interest and it seems like the Colts will be aggressively trying to sign him. (though he can't be officially signed until February.)

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/12/30/7471109/duron-carter-to-visit-the-colts

I think Jan 5 RT“@UKColtsFans: @criscarter80 when is @DC_CHILLIN_8 visiting Indy?”

Duron Carter had his 1st NFL visit today, in Tampa. Also scheduled to visit MIN, KC, and IND on tis first leg. Son of HOF WR Cris Carter

Duron Carter best pick for the colts as a wr.. 

From what I know, all the coaches have thought he could be great. He has never been a problem on the field. As his father said, he just hates school. The only thought that comes up is will be studying the playbook be a problem. I would have to look at his film in Canada, but I don't think it is studying football which is the problem. Plenty of kids do not belong in College. I don't look at it as a mark against him. I agree though that a bidding war is not worth an unproven player. Additionally, Minn. and KC need the WR help far more. We shall see what happens. At the right price, would love to have him. His father loves Minn. and bleeds purple, but he also likes Luck a lot!

Let's not get too excited about this guy. 

Comparing Carter with Donte Moncrief in NFL Draft Scout:

Moncrief was ranked 10 of 326 WRs in the 2014 draft year (which was fantastically strong for WRs) and projected round 2.

Carter was ranked 100 of 342 WRs in the 2013 draft year and projected as a UFDA.

Moncrief is 6' 2.3"/ 221 lb and ran an average 40 of 4.34 in the combine.

Carter is 6' 3.1"/ 206 lb and ran an average 40 of 4.58 in his pro day.

FWIW

Let's not get too excited about this guy.

Comparing Carter with Donte Moncrief in NFL Draft Scout:

Moncrief was ranked 10 of 326 WRs in the 2014 draft year (which was fantastically strong for WRs) and projected round 2.

Carter was ranked 100 of 342 WRs in the 2013 draft year and projected as a UFDA.

Moncrief is 6' 2.3"/ 221 lb and ran an average 40 of 4.34 in the combine.

Carter is 6' 3.1"/ 206 lb and ran an average 40 of 4.58 in his pro day.

FWIW

But, but, but highlight video!!

I didn't say anything about signing him, but not everyone is cut out for college.

I know, I have read your other posts. I just think that's a funny explanation of his troubles. :)

Every man has to do something he doesn't like and do it well.

Uh oh..

Free agent WR Duron Carter said the Vikings are his "top choice."

Carter worked out for the Vikings' front office and coaching staff on Friday. He's also visited with Colts and Chiefs, and has drawn interest from the 49ers. Carter can't sign with a team until next month, but the Vikings should be considered the favorites to land him. He's reportedly seeking a signing bonus in the range of $100,000 on a three-year deal.

Uh oh..

Free agent WR Duron Carter said the Vikings are his "top choice."

Carter worked out for the Vikings' front office and coaching staff on Friday. He's also visited with Colts and Chiefs, and has drawn interest from the 49ers. Carter can't sign with a team until next month, but the Vikings should be considered the favorites to land him. He's reportedly seeking a signing bonus in the range of $100,000 on a three-year deal.

I guess that's b/c of his dad's history with the team. Sucks though.