Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets Owner Praises Revis, Maybe Violates NFL Tampering Policy

amfootball

They make about the same in 2015 , unless you don't want to prorate the 15 mill signing bonus Mathis received. Wilfork about 600 K more but could be the same if he misses an incentive or two. Base salary is actually higher (4 mill vs 3 mill) for Mathis in 2015. 

According to Spotrac, Wilfork has a base salary of $3m, plus bonuses and incentives that equal another $5m. His total compensation in 2015 can be $8m.

Mathis has a base salary of $4m, and that's it. I'm just talking about money to be paid, not cap hits, so no, I didn't include the prorated bonuses for either player.

The money to be saved in a potential release is $8m for Wilfork, $4m for Mathis.

According to Spotrac, Wilfork has a base salary of $3m, plus bonuses and incentives that equal another $5m. His total compensation in 2015 can be $8m.

Mathis has a base salary of $4m, and that's it. I'm just talking about money to be paid, not cap hits, so no, I didn't include the prorated bonuses for either player.

The money to be saved in a potential release is $8m for Wilfork, $4m for Mathis.

Yeah , some figure that way , I never did. If Peyton Manning receives a 50 million $ signing bonus in 2012 and his base in 2015 is 2 mill . You figure he's making less money in 2015 than Vince Wilfork ? Not looking for an argument I just never understood why people didn't prorate the bonus over the length of the contract when comparing salaries. 

Yes I understand and understood that Wilfork contact is not guaranteed for much more than about 400K while Mathis has around 18 mill in guaranteed money. It's just interpretation of how the money is paid out I guess.

Yeah , some figure that way , I never did. If Peyton Manning receives a 50 million $ signing bonus in 2012 and his base in 2015 is 2 mill . You figure he's making less money in 2015 than Vince Wilfork ? Not looking for an argument I just never understood why people didn't prorate the bonus over the length of the contract when comparing salaries. 

Yes I understand and understood that Wilfork contact is not guaranteed for much more than about 400K while Mathis has around 18 mill in guaranteed money. It's just interpretation of how the money is paid out I guess.

No, I take into consideration the prorated bonus when it's relevant. I don't think it's relevant in this case; the money's already been spent. In Mathis' case, it was spent three years ago, and there's no changing that $3.75m that's on the cap for 2015, no matter what. Wilfork's prorated bonus is much smaller, but he'll be paid more in 2015.

So when I look at the teams' respective options, it's not about the already prorated money. It's about the money yet to be paid. If the Pats release Wilfork, they can save $8m. If the Colts release Mathis, they can save $4m. If we're just comparing contracts, absolutely the bonus money is relevant. Not so much when we're talking about how the Colts or the Pats will handle Mathis or Wilfork in 2015.

This is likely why we view Gosder differently for 2015. To me, the yet to be paid salary is more relevant than the already paid bonus money.

No, I take into consideration the prorated bonus when it's relevant. I don't think it's relevant in this case; the money's already been spent. In Mathis' case, it was spent three years ago, and there's no changing that $3.75m that's on the cap for 2015, no matter what. Wilfork's prorated bonus is much smaller, but he'll be paid more in 2015.

So when I look at the teams' respective options, it's not about the already prorated money. It's about the money yet to be paid. If the Pats release Wilfork, they can save $8m. If the Colts release Mathis, they can save $4m. If we're just comparing contracts, absolutely the bonus money is relevant. Not so much when we're talking about how the Colts or the Pats will handle Mathis or Wilfork in 2015.

This is likely why we view Gosder differently for 2015. To me, the yet to be paid salary is more relevant than the already paid bonus money.

Yes , I get all that and agree. I was just responding to you saying Wilfork makes more in 2015 than Mathis. I wasn't considering "teams respective options" , cap hits ... anything like that. I was just talking about how each was compensated. No big deal....

Yes , I get all that and agree. I was just responding to you saying Wilfork makes more in 2015 than Mathis. I wasn't considering "teams respective options" , cap hits ... anything like that. I

was just talking about how each was compensated. No big deal....

Yeah, I was talking about the money that they'll actually be paid in 2015.