Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets Owner Praises Revis, Maybe Violates NFL Tampering Policy

amfootball

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2014/12/29/jets-owner-praises-revis-maybe-violates-nfl-tampering-policy/h5cK4asTdjDGn8AKKSy9ML/story.html#comments

Apparently owner Woody Johnson violated the tampering policy when he spoke about Revis yesterday:

"Darrelle is a great player and if I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for that, I probably would’ve taken him,” Johnson said. “And it was our best judgment to do what we did. Darrelle’s a great player. I’d love for Darrelle to come back.”

... the NFL’s anti-tampering polcy says “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy.”

The league gives as an example of a prohibited comment an owner saying ‘He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights,’ which matches closely with Johnson’s statement.

Does anyone know what the penality would be if they did violate it? Fine? Pick?

Not sure, I know they have taken picks away in the past for tampering.  But I don't know the extent of those violations or if there where multiple violations that made them decide to take a pick away.

I would imagine they would just issue a fine in this case.  At most suspend the owner for a few games or something.  

I don't think they would go to taking picks away unless he where to do something really bad like calling and trying to negotiate or talk to his agent about an offer before Revis becomes a free agent.  That would probably warrant the loss of a pick.  A statement about how you would love to have a player come play for you when his rights are with another club still violates the rule, but I can't imagine that they would come down really hard and start taking picks.  

Honestly the NFL could just decide to issue a strongly worded letter in this case and be done with it.

I heard the press conference yesterday when the reporter asked Woody Johnson the question about Revis. It was immediately followed up by at least one other question about Revis. At the time I thought it was an innocuous statement and I still believe that. He might get fined but nothing more.

Not sure, I know they have taken picks away in the past for tampering. But I don't know the extent of those violations or if there where multiple violations that made them decide to take a pick away.

I would imagine they would just issue a fine in this case. At most suspend the owner for a few games or something.

I don't think they would go to taking picks away unless he where to do something really bad like calling and trying to negotiate or talk to his agent about an offer before Revis becomes a free agent. That would probably warrant the loss of a pick. A statement about how you would love to have a player come play for you when his rights are with another club still violates the rule, but I can't imagine that they would come down really hard and start taking picks.

Honestly the NFL could just decide to issue a strongly worded letter in this case and be done with it.

The NFL hasnt taken picks for tampering

The NFL hasnt taken picks for tampering

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/league-finds-lions-guilty-of-tampering/

http://sfo.scout.com/story/740323-nfl-hits-niners-hard-with-tampering-penalty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_draft  - Look at what it says right after pick 141 in the 5th round to the Carolina Panthers and it notes a forfeited pick for tampering to the 49er's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_draft - Look between picks 191 and 192.

i had never heard about that, or don't remember it. The swapping of fifths seems more harsh actually

I hadn't either, but I've noticed it before when looking over the drafts.  I havn't found anything where they have taken a day 1 or 2 selection away for tampering. . . but they have taken late round picks away for tampering.  

This is only interesting for comedic value. Woody Johnson is an outright buffoon... a billionaire of course, but still a buffoon. BB was clearly tweaking him in that radio interview! 

What a lot of people are missing/forgetting is that the Patriots have a 2nd year option on Revis. I don't know when they have to pick it up... probably between the end of the Super Bowl and the start of the new "league year" in early March. The prevailing thought is that they won't, since it carries a $20M cap hit. But, they have the free cash (as a result of Brady's restructuring) and probably can fit Revis under the cap even at a high number, in large part because their QB makes slightly more than a quality backup. 

Or, they put that option in so that they could negotiate with him freely and not have to worry about competition on the FA market. The goal is probably a mid-range deal... 3 years or so. Revis seems willing to take more money for shorter contracts, banking on his own ability to "prove it" pretty much every year. 

Either way, my 35+ years of following this team tell me Revis will be a Patriot again in 2015, and possibly beyond that. 

Woody is an *, I'd love for them to take draft picks, get them back for the media frenzy created around Spygate but it won't happen

Nfl headquarters are based out of NY and Goodell is a huge Jets fan who use to work in their front office, so nothing will be done to them but I always like it when the Jets make themselves look even more *ic

This is only interesting for comedic value. Woody Johnson is an outright buffoon... a billionaire of course, but still a buffoon. BB was clearly tweaking him in that radio interview! 

What a lot of people are missing/forgetting is that the Patriots have a 2nd year option on Revis. I don't know when they have to pick it up... probably between the end of the Super Bowl and the start of the new "league year" in early March. The prevailing thought is that they won't, since it carries a $20M cap hit. But, they have the free cash (as a result of Brady's restructuring) and probably can fit Revis under the cap even at a high number, in large part because their QB makes slightly more than a quality backup. 

Or, they put that option in so that they could negotiate with him freely and not have to worry about competition on the FA market. The goal is probably a mid-range deal... 3 years or so. Revis seems willing to take more money for shorter contracts, banking on his own ability to "prove it" pretty much every year. 

Either way, my 35+ years of following this team tell me Revis will be a Patriot again in 2015, and possibly beyond that. 

I think i's "beyond that " or not at all. The Pats would probably love to go year by year and then dump him at the first sign of a decline but they gave him a 32 mill $ contract .. 11.5 guaranteed over two years. The Pats were cute and just took 7 mill of that hit last year. My math sometimes falters but I did it 3-4 times and I keep coming up with the figure of $25,000,000. That would be what they would need to fork over to Revis to keep him on a one year deal. Now maybe Kraft will pull him in a corner and say something like "you need to give back around 12 mill , cause we need to stay flush with players." Maybe .. but I think more likely that Revis signs a 4 year deal for around 13 mill per year with a nice big fat guarantee. Time to pay the piper.....

I am not sure I have ever seen such a love affair between a team and a player before. Revis played for them for what? Four years? And in that time they won nothing and he held out twice for more money. They trade him as far from NE as they can to Tampa Bay where of course Bill's friend Schiano resides. After one season and $16 mil later, the Bucs say good-bye and Bill comes calling somehow landing Revis on what is basically a one year deal. And of course he has had a superb year anchoring a Patriots secondary that has been dominant. And now at season's end, when the Jets just cleaned house after a four win season and the Pats are the number one seed, here is Johnson STILL talking about Revis to the point that he may get penalized for tampering. I mean really? Hollywood could not write this script ... lol.

I am not sure I have ever seen such a love affair between a team and a player before. Revis played for them for what? Four years? And in that time they won nothing and he held out twice for more money. They trade him as far from NE as they can to Tampa Bay where of course Bill's friend Schiano resides. After one season and $16 mil later, the Bucs say good-bye and Bill comes calling somehow landing Revis on what is basically a one year deal. And of course he has had a superb year anchoring a Patriots secondary that has been dominant. And now at season's end, when the Jets just cleaned house after a four win season and the Pats are the number one seed, here is Johnson STILL talking about Revis to the point that he may get penalized for tampering. I mean really? Hollywood could not write this script ... lol.

I don't think Revis would ever go back to NY now that Rex is gone. 

I think i's "beyond that " or not at all. The Pats would probably love to go year by year and then dump him at the first sign of a decline but they gave him a 32 mill $ contract .. 11.5 guaranteed over two years. The Pats were cute and just took 7 mill of that hit last year. My math sometimes falters but I did it 3-4 times and I keep coming up with the figure of $25,000,000. That would be what they would need to fork over to Revis to keep him on a one year deal. Now maybe Kraft will pull him in a corner and say something like "you need to give back around 12 mill , cause we need to stay flush with players." Maybe .. but I think more likely that Revis signs a 4 year deal for around 13 mill per year with a nice big fat guarantee. Time to pay the piper.....

Maybe that's what it'll take. If it does, I'm confident the Patriots could make that work. I don't think guaranteed money should be an issue with this guy. There's very little risk... just injuries, and that applies to anyone. 

Maybe that's what it'll take. If it does, I'm confident the Patriots could make that work. I don't think guaranteed money should be an issue with this guy. There's very little risk... just injuries, and that applies to anyone. 

I could see them doing another one year deal or a two year deal with a ton guaranteed as well. Revis seems to like the short term contracts so he can hit the market. And the Pats would prefer not to get tied into a player who will be 30 long term and has a history of holding out.

I could see them doing another one year deal or a two year deal with a ton guaranteed as well. Revis seems to like the short term contracts so he can hit the market. And the Pats would prefer not to get tied into a player who will be 30 long term and has a history of holding out.

I agree. Revis seems like the exception when it comes to players. Instead of going for the long-term security with what could be "dummy years" on the end of a deal, he'll take shorter ones, making more in the short-term, and bet on himself to stay at the top of his game. Not a bad strategy if you're confident enough to pull it off. Plus it keeps him motivated I suppose. 

Figures that American would like this as it's wrong. The Pats will not do "another one year deal" . They did a two year deal to begin with. They paid him 1.5 million as a 2014 base salary ,please not how cheap that it cause you're going to make that up. He received a signing bonus of 10 mill and a 2014 roster bonus of 500,000. All that went toward his 2014 salary cap is the 1.5 base , the 500 ,000 2014 roster bonus and half of the 10 mill signing bonus. So 5 + 1.5 +.5 = a 7 mill. cap hit for 2014.

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!! GENIUSES !!!!!! Revis 2014 for 7 Mill !!!!!!. Errrrrr.. hold on .. let's look at year 2. Uhhh ohhh what the heck is this ?

Tha base salary is 7.5 mill and he's due a cool 12.5 mill roster bonus. They have until the last day of the 2014 year to say nay or nay or I would think do another contract. Now I know a lot of you guys think it's possible that Kraft can get him to just say "c'mon play 2015 for 12 mill instead of the 20 we owe you. I doubt it and that's why I say if they keep him they will have to do one of those contracts they hate to give CB's . That being great big juicy deals with a whole bunch guaranteed.

By the way , for those that have trouble figuring cap hits. Revis' would not just be the 20 mill he collects (if they keep him on the 1 year deal) , you would need to add in 5 million of the 10 mill signing bonus he received in 2014. So that would be a cool 25 million for the year 2015. 

So here are your options... sign the then to be 30 year old CB to a long term deal averaging at least 13 mill or get your butt drilled to the core in 2015. Be aware you are going into this owing him at least 5 mill as he played 2014 for 7.5

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2014/12/29/jets-owner-praises-revis-maybe-violates-nfl-tampering-policy/h5cK4asTdjDGn8AKKSy9ML/story.html#comments

Apparently owner Woody Johnson violated the tampering policy when he spoke about Revis yesterday:

{snipped}

Does anyone know what the penality would be if they did violate it? Fine? Pick?

It's been a while since I looked at the official rule, but I think they fine the offender 2 million dollars and give it to the tampered players wife for a new ring, then they give the team that owns the tampered players rights the Lombardi trophy and #1 first round draft choice 3 years i a row.  Unless the tampered player in question is on the the New England Patriots roster.  Then everyone just looks the other way until it all flows under the bridge...

;)

Figures that American would like this as it's wrong. The Pats will not do "another one year deal" . They did a two year deal to begin with. They paid him 1.5 million as a 2014 base salary ,please not how cheap that it cause you're going to make that up. He received a signing bonus of 10 mill and a 2014 roster bonus of 500,000. All that went toward his 2014 salary cap is the 1.5 base , the 500 ,000 2014 roster bonus and half of the 10 mill signing bonus. So 5 + 1.5 +.5 = a 7 mill. cap hit for 2014.

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!! GENIUSES !!!!!! Revis 2014 for 7 Mill !!!!!!. Errrrrr.. hold on .. let's look at year 2. Uhhh ohhh what the heck is this ?

Tha base salary is 7.5 mill and he's due a cool 12.5 mill roster bonus. They have until the last day of the 2014 year to say nay or nay or I would think do another contract. Now I know a lot of you guys think it's possible that Kraft can get him to just say "c'mon play 2015 for 12 mill instead of the 20 we owe you. I doubt it and that's why I say if they keep him they will have to do one of those contracts they hate to give CB's . That being great big juicy deals with a whole bunch guaranteed.

By the way , for those that have trouble figuring cap hits. Revis' would not just be the 20 mill he collects (if they keep him on the 1 year deal) , you would need to add in 5 million of the 10 mill signing bonus he received in 2014. So that would be a cool 25 million for the year 2015. 

So here are your options... sign the then to be 30 year old CB to a long term deal averaging at least 13 mill or get your butt drilled to the core in 2015. Be aware you are going into this owing him at least 5 mill as he played 2014 for 7.5

I don't think Revis wants a long term deal. He sure as heck would take that $25 mil next year but we both know that ain't happening ...

I don't think Revis wants a long term deal. He sure as heck would take that $25 mil next year but we both know that ain't happening ...

Thing is it's about the only way for him to stay with the Pats. If he keeps playing on short term deals , he needs to get at leaf 15 mill per season for that to make sense for him. Look at it this way , if the Pats didn't resign him , he will have earned 11.5 for 2014. So now if the Pats don't sign him long term , they have 2 choices.

1) Decline the option for 2015 and he goes out and tests the market again.

2) Pay him the 20 million he's due and now have a 2015 cap hit of 25 million.

How do they sign him to a 1 year deal ? Decline the option for the 2nd year of the 2 year deal and then say "here's a one year deal for less money ? Hello... anybody home ? This isn't Darrelle Brady. NE is they let him go , already screwed him for about 3 mill on a one year deal. This guy gambled and played below his market ($14 mill ?) and figured if the Pats wanted to keep him , he'd now be in the drivers seat. Guess what ? He is. Kraft pays the 20 mill, signs him to a 4-5 (big guarantee) year deal and gets his coulee burned when Revis turns 34 or says adios. Are you Pat fanes really so splined as to think Revis is going to tear up the contract (! year)he earned and then cut you guys a big break and replace that 1 year deal with another one ? LOL on that. 

Oh... Revis will probably take a long term deal now as he's older and he burns the team on the back end of it. It will just need a lot of guaranteed money.

Thing is it's about the only way for him to stay with the Pats. If he keeps playing on short term deals , he needs to get at leaf 15 mill per season for that to make sense for him. Look at it this way , if the Pats didn't resign him , he will have earned 11.5 for 2014. So now if the Pats don't sign him long term , they have 2 choices.

1) Decline the option for 2015 and he goes out and tests the market again.

2) Pay him the 20 million he's due and now have a 2015 cap hit of 25 million.

How do they sign him to a 1 year deal ? Decline the option for the 2nd year of the 2 year deal and then say "here's a one year deal for less money ? Hello... anybody home ? This isn't Darrelle Brady. NE is they let him go , already screwed him for about 3 mill on a one year deal. This guy gambled and played below his market ($14 mill ?) and figured if the Pats wanted to keep him , he'd now be in the drivers seat. Guess what ? He is. Kraft pays the 20 mill, signs him to a 4-5 (big guarantee) year deal and gets his coulee burned when Revis turns 34 or says adios. Are you Pat fanes really so splined as to think Revis is going to tear up the contract (! year)he earned and then cut you guys a big break and replace that 1 year deal with another one ? LOL on that. 

Oh... Revis will probably take a long term deal now as he's older and he burns the team on the back end of it. It will just need a lot of guaranteed money.

Yeah the only way that second year stands is if they do sign a long term deal to spread the money out over multiple years which is a strong possibility. I can see that scenario but like I said, I am not sure Revis wants that but at age 30 as you say maybe he does. No team is paying him $20 mil or $25 so the Pats could tear that up and redo a longer term deal. Word is he wants to stay, likes Bill a lot, loves this secondary BUT he is about the money. I expect the Pats to do something none of us see coming. They always do when it comes to these things.

Four years, $52m. Signing bonus of $5m, Year 1 base salary of $7m (guaranteed), Year 2 base salary of $10m (guaranteed). That's a total of $36m from 2014 to 2016. Work roster bonuses and whatever else in there, and reconcile the rest of the salaries. Nice and even cap hits, would pay him a bunch of money, he'd still be among the highest paid defensive players in the league... Very doable.

Four years, $52m. Signing bonus of $5m, Year 1 base salary of $7m (guaranteed), Year 2 base salary of $10m (guaranteed). That's a total of $36m from 2014 to 2016. Work roster bonuses and whatever else in there, and reconcile the rest of the salaries. Nice and even cap hits, would pay him a bunch of money, he'd still be among the highest paid defensive players in the league... Very doable.

There is no way in helllll that Revis is going to play in NE 2014 (need to figure that year as it's part of his current deal ) 2015 2016 for a guaranteed 32 million American dollars. That's an average of $10,666,000 for his last 3 years in his prime. I see you add "whatever else in there" and that would need to be very significant. Richard Sherman signed a deal that pays him over 40 million in years 2015 -2017. Averages around 13.5 per season. What you have is way short of that it will take to keep him in NE. You all seem to forget the fact that he signed a two year deal for 32 million $. He was paid only 11 mill his first year , so by anyones math , he's going to want that made up an an extension. Thus he could very well be looking for 13 mill per year , plus the 3 he is shorted by tearing up the old deal. So if you are figuring those "add ons " to be about 8 million in the first 3 years of his deal , then I'll agree.

There is no way in helllll that Revis is going to play in NE 2014 (need to figure that year as it's part of his current deal ) 2015 2016 for a guaranteed 32 million American dollars. That's an average of $10,666,000 for his last 3 years in his prime. I see you add "whatever else in there" and that would need to be very significant. Richard Sherman signed a deal that pays him over 40 million in years 2015 -2017. Averages around 13.5 per season. What you have is way short of that it will take to keep him in NE. You all seem to forget the fact that he signed a two year deal for 32 million $. He was paid only 11 mill his first year , so by anyones math , he's going to want that made up an an extension. Thus he could very well be looking for 13 mill per year , plus the 3 he is shorted by tearing up the old deal. So if you are figuring those "add ons " to be about 8 million in the first 3 years of his deal , then I'll agree.

I think everyone, including Revis, knew he wouldn't be paid that $32m. It was a one year, $14m (not $11m) contract that would be revisited in 2015. He's not going to get $16m/year from anyone. The Bucs dealt with that for one year, then changed their minds.

And the difference between him and Sherman is that he's three years older and has significant injuries in the recent past. Even then, Sherman's new money is $33.6m over three years, not $40m over three years. His $11m bonus was paid in 2014, and the base salaries in 2015-16 come out to about $22.6m. So Revis would still be coming out ahead of Sherman with $36m guaranteed over three years.

All those numbers are from Spotrac, by the way.

I think everyone, including Revis, knew he wouldn't be paid that $32m. It was a one year, $14m (not $11m) contract that would be revisited in 2015. He's not going to get $16m/year from anyone. The Bucs dealt with that for one year, then changed their minds.

And the difference between him and Sherman is that he's three years older and has significant injuries in the recent past. Even then, Sherman's new money is $33.6m over three years, not $40m over three years. His $11m bonus was paid in 2014, and the base salaries in 2015-16 come out to about $22.6m. So Revis would still be coming out ahead of Sherman with $36m guaranteed over three years.

All those numbers are from Spotrac, by the way.

Sportac says a 1 year contract for 12 mill ..where are you getting the 14 mill from ? Furthermore according to Sportac , It's a 1 year deal with a signing bonus of 10 mill with that bonus prorated for two years. Huh... that's a neat trick. I was under the impression that a signing bonus is prorated over the length of the contract. Learn something every day I guess.  What they probably mean is that in essence it's a 1 year deal as the second year with never be exercised . But technically it's a two year deal or NE would be in violation of cap rules. Anyway I was off by a mill when I said 11 mill ... you are off by double that. 

Sherman received an 11 mill signing bonus and the first two years are guaranteed at bases totaling 21.5 mill. The 3rd year is guaranteed 5 days after the 2016 SB at 11.4. What I said is he was paid 40 million for years 2015 -2017. I never said he was "guaranteed " 40 mill over those 3 years. Furthermore this is not an "apples to apples" comparison as one would be a new deal and the other is an extension .. so you have a 1.4 mill base figured into Sherman's deal. If you are saying Sherman deserves a better deal because he's younger with no history of injury .. I'll say good point on that. If you are saying Revis earned 14 mill in 2014 .. I say no and I also say you are mistaken that your proposed deal is better ( I say not even close) to the Sherman deal. 

I copied your deal and put in my mail. I'll say he averages at least 2 mill more than what you have. I'll also say that the 22 mill in new guaranteed money is around 6 mill short . 

Sportac says a 1 year contract for 12 mill ..where are you getting the 14 mill from ? Furthermore according to Sportac , It's a 1 year deal with a signing bonus of 10 mill with that bonus prorated for two years. Huh... that's a neat trick. I was under the impression that a signing bonus is prorated over the length of the contract. Learn something every day I guess.  What they probably mean is that in essence it's a 1 year deal as the second year with never be exercised . But technically it's a two year deal or NE would be in violation of cap rules. Anyway I was off by a mill when I said 11 mill ... you are off by double that. 

Sherman received an 11 mill signing bonus and the first two years are guaranteed at bases totaling 21.5 mill. The 3rd year is guaranteed 5 days after the 2016 SB at 11.4. What I said is he was paid 40 million for years 2015 -2017. I never said he was "guaranteed " 40 mill over those 3 years. Furthermore this is not an "apples to apples" comparison as one would be a new deal and the other is an extension .. so you have a 1.4 mill base figured into Sherman's deal. If you are saying Sherman deserves a better deal because he's younger with no history of injury .. I'll say good point on that. If you are saying Revis earned 14 mill in 2014 .. I say no and I also say you are mistaken that your proposed deal is better ( I say not even close) to the Sherman deal. 

I copied your deal and put in my mail. I'll say he averages at least 2 mill more than what you have. I'll also say that the 22 mill in new guaranteed money is around 6 mill short . 

My bad. Revis got a $10m signing bonus, $1.5m base, and a $500K roster bonus. That's $12m, not $14m (also, not $11m). For whatever reason, I had in my mind a $12m signing bonus.

Also, Spotrac is calling it a one year deal because the second year is voidable. For now, it's a two year deal.

As for the comparison to Sherman, you're counting his new money, but not counting the first year of the contract, which is technically 2014. If you count 2014 -- which is when he got his $11m signing bonus -- then it's $33.6m in new money from 2014-16. Straight across comparison to the Revis proposal would include Revis' $12m from 2014 plus the new money in 2015-16, at $34m (not $36m). If you're going to throw in the 4th year for Sherman's deal, or just count from 2015 to 2017, then why wouldn't we do the same for Revis' deal?

Sherman's deal was an extension, and Revis deal would be treated as an extension. Otherwise, the Pats have to void the second year and relinquish their rights to him, and he can test free agency. If that happens, I don't think he stays a Patriot.

You can throw in a $6m guarantee for 2017 for Revis, also, just like Sherman's $5m that goes guaranteed after 2016 ends. You can also bump the Year 2 salary up to $12m, to make up for my mistake. Then we're back to $36m from 2014-16, plus an extra $6m in 2017 when he's 32 years old.

There are lots of tweaks that can be made. I just think the framework would be applicable. I used your suggested yearly average of $13m from an earlier post, unless I misunderstood you. Anything more than this, and the brittle twig that is the Patriots' patience for free agent negotiations will begin to snap. I honestly think the numbers we're talking about are beyond what they want to pay for a cornerback. Especially when the star QB with whom it all begins and ends is making $9m/year.

My bad. Revis got a $10m signing bonus, $1.5m base, and a $500K roster bonus. That's $12m, not $14m (also, not $11m). For whatever reason, I had in my mind a $12m signing bonus.

Also, Spotrac is calling it a one year deal because the second year is voidable. For now, it's a two year deal.

As for the comparison to Sherman, you're counting his new money, but not counting the first year of the contract, which is technically 2014. If you count 2014 -- which is when he got his $11m signing bonus -- then it's $33.6m in new money from 2014-16. Straight across comparison to the Revis proposal would include Revis' $12m from 2014 plus the new money in 2015-16, at $34m (not $36m). If you're going to throw in the 4th year for Sherman's deal, or just count from 2015 to 2017, then why wouldn't we do the same for Revis' deal?

Sherman's deal was an extension, and Revis deal would be treated as an extension. Otherwise, the Pats have to void the second year and relinquish their rights to him, and he can test free agency. If that happens, I don't think he stays a Patriot.

You can throw in a $6m guarantee for 2017 for Revis, also, just like Sherman's $5m that goes guaranteed after 2016 ends. You can also bump the Year 2 salary up to $12m, to make up for my mistake. Then we're back to $36m from 2014-16, plus an extra $6m in 2017 when he's 32 years old.

There are lots of tweaks that can be made. I just think the framework would be applicable. I used your suggested yearly average of $13m from an earlier post, unless I misunderstood you. Anything more than this, and the brittle twig that is the Patriots' patience for free agent negotiations will begin to snap. I honestly think the numbers we're talking about are beyond what they want to pay for a cornerback. Especially when the star QB with whom it all begins and ends is making $9m/year.

Yes I said I made a mistake at 11 , it was 12.  I somehow added 1.5 and 10 and got 11. The other 500k was for games played I think and "Over The Cap" didn't show that.

If you're saying that in the end Revis will average about 12 -13 million over the first 3 years , we are on the same page. I was reading you to say he would sign for about 10 mill per. BTW... I think that second year was added so the Pats couldn't franchise him and it obviously gave the Pats an extra 5 mill in 2014 cap room.

I also think the Pats will strike a deal but if he wants to test the free agent market , he can just wait and ask the Pats to honor the contract at hand. Nothing much to lose unless he badly wants to stay a Patriot. If you go by past history , Revis would wait and see what the market is. But if he wants to stay there , he risks the chance that NE quickly sign another CB when the FA opens up in March.

Yes I said I made a mistake at 11 , it was 12.  I somehow added 1.5 and 10 and got 11. The other 500k was for games played I think and "Over The Cap" didn't show that.

If you're saying that in the end Revis will average about 12 -13 million over the first 3 years , we are on the same page. I was reading you to say he would sign for about 10 mill per. BTW... I think that second year was added so the Pats couldn't franchise him and it obviously gave the Pats an extra 5 mill in 2014 cap room.

I also think the Pats will strike a deal but if he wants to test the free agent market , he can just wait and ask the Pats to honor the contract at hand. Nothing much to lose unless he badly wants to stay a Patriot. If you go by past history , Revis would wait and see what the market is. But if he wants to stay there , he risks the chance that NE quickly sign another CB when the FA opens up in March.

I didn't reconcile the salaries in the last three years, but yeah, I stated 4 years, $52m. That's $13m/year. Would expire after 2018. Again, just a framework. We all know that teams, especially the Pats, will do any number of things with roster bonuses and option bonuses and whatever else...

I agree, the second year was tag protection for Revis, and cap management for the Pats.

I didn't reconcile the salaries in the last three years, but yeah, I stated 4 years, $52m. That's $13m/year. Would expire after 2018. Again, just a framework. We all know that teams, especially the Pats, will do any number of things with roster bonuses and option bonuses and whatever else...

I agree, the second year was tag protection for Revis, and cap management for the Pats.

Fascinating reading the posts between you and DW. Thanks for all the contract breakdowns.

To the bolded - the Pats are maybe one of the most creative teams when it comes to contracts and also doing the expected. The current deal Revis on is maybe one of the oddest contracts I have seen in the NFL. I have a feeling the next one could be similar although I do hope they sign him long term. He is one of the few non-QB players that is worth 13 mil+ a year.

Revis has made a lot of comments throughout this season indicating that the atmosphere in NE, while unfamiliar to him at first, has been eye-opening. Most recently they came after the division-clinching win against Miami. 

During his time with the New York Jets, Darrelle Revis had to watch the Patriots celebrate a division title year after year. But for the first time in his eight-year career he got to experience that joy for himself on Sunday, and made sure to soak it all in.

“I’m very excited. It took a lot of hard work and I’m just excited,” said Revis. “This is my first time so I’m happy to wear the hat and the t-shirt. This is pretty awesome.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/12/14/patriots-celebrate-afc-east-title-but-know-work-is-far-from-done/

I'm not saying any of this means that he'll take less to stay. I don't know that for a fact and it would be naive of me to believe it without doubt. But following this team you sort of get the vibe that 2014 was a "let's see how this goes for everyone" type of year when it came to Revis. As long as the money is close, I have a feeling that being in this environment, playing for a perennial contender, is going to be important to a player who has - in the past - been concerned mostly about money. 

Revis has made a lot of comments throughout this season indicating that the atmosphere in NE, while unfamiliar to him at first, has been eye-opening. Most recently they came after the division-clinching win against Miami. 

During his time with the New York Jets, Darrelle Revis had to watch the Patriots celebrate a division title year after year. But for the first time in his eight-year career he got to experience that joy for himself on Sunday, and made sure to soak it all in.

“I’m very excited. It took a lot of hard work and I’m just excited,” said Revis. “This is my first time so I’m happy to wear the hat and the t-shirt. This is pretty awesome.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/12/14/patriots-celebrate-afc-east-title-but-know-work-is-far-from-done/

I'm not saying any of this means that he'll take less to stay. I don't know that for a fact and it would be naive of me to believe it without doubt. But following this team you sort of get the vibe that 2014 was a "let's see how this goes for everyone" type of year when it came to Revis. As long as the money is close, I have a feeling that being in this environment, playing for a perennial contender, is going to be important to a player who has - in the past - been concerned mostly about money. 

No.. he'll want his money but it does mean (IMO) if the Pats come up with what appears to be the market , he will probably take it rather than hit free agency.

I think we pretty much agree that Revis will stay and it will be somewhere in the 12-13 mill range. I'd be shocked if he moved on as it's a perfect fit. The Brady "window" is probably two years and BB can devise some pretty good schemes when he has a CB to shut down the opponent's best receiver. So you have a player that wants to stay , a SB contender that would have a big hole without him and the fact that not every team would think it prudent to spend all that money on a 30 year old CB. 

I think the bigger question mark would be Vince Wolfork. He doesn't seem to have lost all that much and he's due to be paid 8.4 with only around 800K guaranteed.

I think we pretty much agree that Revis will stay and it will be somewhere in the 12-13 mill range. I'd be shocked if he moved on as it's a perfect fit. The Brady "window" is probably two years and BB can devise some pretty good schemes when he has a CB to shut down the opponent's best receiver. So you have a player that wants to stay , a SB contender that would have a big hole without him and the fact that not every team would think it prudent to spend all that money on a 30 year old CB. 

I think the bigger question mark would be Vince Wolfork. He doesn't seem to have lost all that much and he's due to be paid 8.4 with only around 800K guaranteed.

They just extended Wilfork, after he put up a fuss about being asked to restructure. I don't know how much room for adjustment there is with his deal.

They just extended Wilfork, after he put up a fuss about being asked to restructure. I don't know how much room for adjustment there is with his deal.

Yeah... they restructured in March. I believe 2015 is what I stated.... he's scheduled to earn over 8 mill with hardly anything guaranteed. Unless you mean they did something in the last day or so ?

Yeah... they restructured in March. I believe 2015 is what I stated.... he's scheduled to earn over 8 mill with hardly anything guaranteed. Unless you mean they did something in the last day or so ?

Now, I meant before the season. They asked him to take a hair cut, and he said no and asked to be released. Next thing you know, he has an extension with guaranteed money and two extra seasons. This is after he held out in 2009, and called the franchise tag a slap in the face. He's definitely not Tom Brady when it comes to adjusting his contract for the team.

They might convert salary to bonus to drop his cap hit in 2015, but I don't see him taking a pay cut.

Now, I meant before the season. They asked him to take a hair cut, and he said no and asked to be released. Next thing you know, he has an extension with guaranteed money and two extra seasons. This is after he held out in 2009, and called the franchise tag a slap in the face. He's definitely not Tom Brady when it comes to adjusting his contract for the team.

They might convert salary to bonus to drop his cap hit in 2015, but I don't see him taking a pay cut.

Not much was guaranteed , less than 3 mill but was full of very reachable incentives. Looks like in 2015 he earns 7 mill by just being on the opening day roster. Then another verify attainable mill in bonuses. I agree with you that he will not take a pay cut. Just a lot for a DL hitting his age 34 year. But I guess we've got a similar situation with Mathis. Probably worse as he's coming off a bad injury.

Not much was guaranteed , less than 3 mill but was full of very reachable incentives. Looks like in 2015 he earns 7 mill by just being on the opening day roster. Then another verify attainable mill in bonuses. I agree with you that he will not take a pay cut. Just a lot for a DL hitting his age 34 year. But I guess we've got a similar situation with Mathis. Probably worse as he's coming off a bad injury.

Mathis will make a lot less than Wilfork in 2015. And Wilfork was coming off an ACL when the Pats gave him new money.

I think Wilfork had a good year, the kind of year the Pats hoped he would when they extended him. 

Mathis will make a lot less than Wilfork in 2015. And Wilfork was coming off an ACL when the Pats gave him new money.

I think Wilfork had a good year, the kind of year the Pats hoped he would when they extended him. 

They make about the same in 2015 , unless you don't want to prorate the 15 mill signing bonus Mathis received. Wilfork about 600 K more but could be the same if he misses an incentive or two. Base salary is actually higher (4 mill vs 3 mill) for Mathis in 2015.