Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady restructures contract - saves Pats $24 Mil in cash flow

MJD42

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to turn ESPN off SW. Both Manning and Brady are sacred cows on that network.

I know networks have their favorite players & yes both Manning & Brady are definitely fan favorites no question AMF. Both QBs are extremely durable, wicked smart, extremely driven, & must see in action live field generals. 

I like both guys who are impossible not to like on a personal level. And yes, both men do move the entertainment talk needle. I'd add Aaron Rogers to that favored group too. A breath of fresh air after living through Brett Favre's media blitz tour in WI trust me. 

I'm horrible at cap numbers & understanding GM budgets in terms of salaries & bonuses etc. etc. Math was my worst subject in school & college & it still is to this day actually. I rely on people much smarter than me like Superman to figure this stuff out & explain it to guys like me who are severely limited in this area. I know what both my strengths & weaknesses are. 

If NE does make it to the SB, do me a favor & take Pete Carroll & RW down. I don't hate them as people. I just want a different Champion this year preferably from the AFC. Thank you. 

As much as I love INDY, we are not ready to make that SB leap yet. We have a long way to go. I know that. 

4) We all know it will be a cold day in hell before the Pats trade or release Tom Brady. Unless he's charged with murder... 

Speaking of Aaron Hernandez, has he finally been convicted of cold blooded murder by a jury of his peers yet? He had such a bright future in Massachusetts that it's a crying shame that he threw his life away. 

I don't blame either BB or Robert Kraft for this bizarre turn of events BTW because Hernandez seemed slick & he could have fooled any front office into believing he was a changed man. 

Show me another ESPN clip where broadcasters literally tripped over themselves breaking their hands patting themselves on the back like they had something to do with it VL. I'd love to see it actually. Trey Wingo might sing Peyton's praises for taking less money up front, but not to that "school girl crush" Brady level in the pervious clip.

You might see Jeff Saturday do it a little because he's got blinders on when it comes to Manning objectivity I will readily admit. If you can tell me with a straight face that ESPN doesn't think Brady walks on water then you're in the wrong profession VL & you need to join the CIA doing espionage & black ops work. Please yourself....

Let me also remind you who went after Peyton for his inability to take responsibility for his role in losing the SB to the Seahawks...So drop this crap that I idolize 18...What a crock of you know what. Do I like him? Yes. Can I be critical of him & his failure to win SBs? Yes.

Brady restructured his deal to keep players like Revis in place. It's a selfless move on his part yes, but the way ESPN raves about it, you'd think he just devised a cure for cancer or something. So over the top & ridiculous that it's almost a comedy routine & you know VL. Let's get real...

" The Patriots and their fans loathe ESPN. Think otherwise? Poll the fans here."

If you going to claim that most people hate ESPN, wouldn't logic suggest that no one would read an thread with an ESPN video in it? This thread proves otherwise. Also, it is possible for NE fans to detest ESPN & still not change the fact that those 2 broadcasters in that clip were displaying full throttle Brady hero worship.

Again, I have no issue with Brady himself just how the act of restructuring his contract was overzealously interpreted by ESPN.

So one guy praises Brady for this, and that = all of ESPN.

You may be critical of Peyton, but you became a Broncos fan because of him.

ESPN worships Peytin all of the time. Brady? Not even close.

So one guy praises Brady for this, and that = all of ESPN.

You may be critical of Peyton, but you became a Broncos fan because of him.

ESPN worships Peytin all of the time. Brady? Not even close.

Once John Elway retired, was any fan paying attention to the Broncos before Peyton landed in Denver? No. Tim Tebow doesn't really count because fans who know the X's & O's of football knew that Tebow was more lucky that talented in the NFL intellectual department. I did follow TE Shannon Sharpe regularly before he was inducted into the HOF in Canton though. 

By AMF's own admission, "Both Manning and Brady are sacred cows on that network." So, I'd say the hero worship of both men is split pretty equally down the middle on both pillars of QB community right now actually. 

Again, how many times do I need to say this? My issue is not with Brady just how analysts on that network chose to cover his "restructuring." Is Tom responsible for how he is covered in the media? No, I never claimed that he was. Also, did I put a percentage on how many times Brady is mentioned on the air vs Peyton? No, I did not. 

I appreciate that you mention that I was "critical of Peyton" VL. Thank you. 

Once John Elway retired, was any fan paying attention to the Broncos before Peyton landed in Denver? No. Tim Tebow doesn't really count because fans who know the X's & O's of football knew that Tebow was more lucky that talented in the NFL intellectual department. I did follow TE Shannon Sharpe regularly before he was inducted into the HOF in Canton though. 

By AMF's own admission, "Both Manning and Brady are sacred cows on that network." So, I'd say the hero worship of both men is split pretty equally down the middle on both pillars of QB community right now actually. 

Again, how many times do I need to say this? My issue is not with Brady just how analysts on that network chose to cover his "restructuring." Is Tom responsible for how he is covered in the media? No, I never claimed that he was. Also, did I put a percentage on how many times Brady is mentioned on the air vs Peyton? No, I did not. 

I appreciate that you mention that I was "critical of Peyton" VL. Thank you. 

"So one guy praises Brady for this, and that = all of ESPN."--VL

For someone who claims that "The Patriots and their fans loathe ESPN" I'm surprised that you even care. Also, if you slam a network, why is it my responsibility to justify to you how often your QB is mentioned? If you trash something directly, you can't use that same entity to validate your point later on. It's fine. I like you & I'll drop the subject now out of respect for you VL. 

Besides, NE is all about AFC Championship Games & SB appearances so coverage of your QB on 1 network is small potatoes anyway no matter what a sports reporter says right? 

If the Pats hadn't given away all those first round draft picks over the years, maybe they could've gotten a guy like Beckham, Evans, or Benjamin. Sometimes it doesn't pay to give away and this year's WR class might've been the best of all time.

No matter what happens from here on out, I think it's fair for us (Pats fans, I mean) to wonder what might've been if the team had done more with their drafts and free agency. In 2006 their best receiver was Reche Caldwell. They've only drafted a couple of skill position players with high picks (and have whiffed on those when they did). They've always built rosters with an emphasis on versatility, value, and depth. Sometimes when you do things that way, you don't get much star presence. 

I think, again for Pats fans, that's more of a "someday" type of thought though. At the moment it's hard to argue with the results and obviously they have a chance this year to do some great things. 

There would be a cap penalty to release him. A total of $18m from his prorated signing bonus which was paid two years ago.

However, it would be nuts to release him. There's really no risk for him. If he gets hurt, he still gets paid. If they did get rid of him for "skill," he'd get a dozen offers at $20m+/year.

I don't see how this adjustment is about Brady's viewpoint on the money. It doesn't affect his cash flow at all right now. As of Week 1, it increases his pay.

This deal makes cash flow easier for the Pats this offseason, presumably for signing bonuses to guys like Revis. We'll see what they do with it. When Brady did his restructure two years ago, it was presumed that the Pats would keep Welker, and they didn't. I definitely agree that he wants them to do all they can to compete for the rest of his career. This makes it easier from a cash flow perspective. Good for him, good for them.

I just wish I didn't have to hear people talking about how Saint Brady has surrendered all his worldly possessions on behalf of the greater good of mankind. Lots of people with microphones in front of their faces either don't understand what happened, or are content to lie about it. It's annoying.

I completely agree with this entire post, I even got chewed out on Facebook for commenting on a post someone made and everyone was saying "What a guy that Brady is!!"

They practically tar and feathered me when I explained that he actually got a raise and didn't do anything all that noble or generous.

I completely agree with this entire post, I even got chewed out on Facebook for commenting on a post someone made and everyone was saying "What a guy that Brady is!!"

They practically tar and feathered me when I explained that he actually got a raise and didn't do anything all that noble or generous.

Yeah, I saw some comments from Pats fans on some of those articles that showed that some of them got it. 

I can't think of any pro player that has ever given away their guarantee especially at age 37 turning 38 before next season. All of the talking heads said two years that the reason Brady signed the extension in the first place was because the deal was fully guaranteed. And now he gave that away. As is typical with the Patriots and Brady, this move is unprecedented.

I can't think of any pro player that has ever given away their guarantee especially at age 37 turning 38 before next season. All of the talking heads said two years that the reason Brady signed the extension in the first place was because the deal was fully guaranteed. And now he gave that away. As is typical with the Patriots and Brady, this move is unprecedented.

That Tom is truly amazing. Gush gush.