Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Not Us? [Merge]

COLTSFAN12to13

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't anyone here wants to lose in the playoffs, many just don't expect to do much, including myself.  I expect to beat the Bengals and after that, it gets a little hairy.  If the Ravens beat the Steelers, then we get to go to Denver and play a Broncos team that is currently looking beatable.  Then there is the Patriots, which is a giant hurdle.  There are three things this team would need to get to a Superbowl, more focus, better execution and a little bit of luck (no pun intended).  

I don't anyone here wants to lose in the playoffs, many just don't expect to do much, including myself.  I expect to beat the Bengals and after that, it gets a little hairy.  If the Ravens beat the Steelers, then we get to go to Denver and play a Broncos team that is currently looking beatable.  Then there is the Patriots, which is a giant hurdle.  There are three things this team would need to get to a Superbowl, more focus, better execution and a little bit of luck (no pun intended).  

Forgot about that you are correct  if the Ravens can somehow beat the Steelers and we dispose of the Bengals we would then head to Denver.

You yelled at your dog??!?!?  tsk tsk tsk...  :D

I see myself in agreement with you.  I'm probably closer to a 1.6 on the scale, maybe even 1.75.....but I still want the Colts to succeed above anything else.  I'm definitely not a homer, but it is not all doom and gloom, but reality is my primary focus.  The reality is, we have a lot of issues.

Yeah I was gonna chastise him for yelling at the dog lol

Realism is the games have to be played. There is no winner yet. There are upsets every season. I have no clue if the Colts will win but to automatically say they lose is not keeping an open mind. There are a lot of factors that play into a game being won or lost. Turnovers, injuries and a couple of bad calls can make the difference. It could be down to a team or player getting hot at the right time. I seem to remember the Bronco.s had it all wrapped up last season according to those who are suppose to know football.

The Broncos did have it all wrapped up, they made it to the Superbowl, they lost but when expected to achieve something based on their play throughout the year they meet exceptions. Basically they were expected to win 3 games and won 2, based on the Colts play through out the year fans are predicting  them to win 0 to 1 game, expecting more from a team that has not performed well against the best teams in the league is silly, yes they probably will win one, maybe even to, but they have to win 4 in a row, against very good teams, expecting that much "luck" from turnovers, injuries and bad calls is very unrealistic..

LACK OF DEVELOPMENT?! this is literally the single dumbest thing i have EVER read in my life..

I may be wasting my time, but the lack of development is highlighted by Luck's inability to stop his turnovers and to realize that sometimes he has to throw the ball away. 

It's not your father's NFL.  Interceptions are the worst thing a QB can do today, Sacks and fumbles, while not 100% his fault alone are the result maybe of a stubborn streak.  13 fumbles this year, a career high, and led the league. 

Physical tools are great, he needs coaching. 

An honest opinion is an honest opinion. You expect people to lie to themselves and each other as part of your quasi-religious faith based outlook toward pro sports? 

Fact; The 2014 Colts disappointed. They underachieved. This has an effect on fan confidence going forward. 

All that being said, we're facing the Bengals in round 1, and we have some solid reasons to believe we can and will win this thing. Beyond that, going to Gillette, do NOT expect fan confidence to be at an all time high. 

Colts under achieved at 11-5?  Who was expecting them to win the SB hands down?  Pretty sure Seattle Denver and New England has been the favorites from the get go.  8-8 or 9-7 would be where the "underachieved" bar should be set, considering we were 11-5 the last two seasons.  You must think some of the other "underachieved" teams don't have professional players on their roster, perhaps they have a bunch of college kids or arena football league players.  Even the worst teams have pro bowlers.  They're all professionals, 11-5 can only be obtained by playoff caliber teams.

I understand we got beat down against some "great" teams, but that was previous games!  I love the comments of Belichick and Rodgers this season.   Rodgers says R-E-L-A-X RELAX, meaning a few losses isn't going to kill the season.  No need to stress.  After a terrible loss to KC Belichick says, "We're on to Cincinnati" meaning, yeah we got our butts kicked, but the season isn't over.  Look what those two teams have done since early struggles.  It's never too late to turn things around until the season is officially over.  With your logic we WILL win against Cin and definitely lose to NE.  Which could very well happen, but who knows Bengals could beat us, or we could beat both of those teams.  Why should the Colts even show up in Foxboro if they beat the Bengals?  The games over right?  They beat us once, they must do it again, right?

Colts under achieved at 11-5? Who was expecting them to win the SB hands down? Pretty sure Seattle Denver and New England has been the favorites from the get go. 8-8 or 9-7 would be where the "underachieved" bar should be set, considering we were 11-5 the last two seasons. You must think some of the other "underachieved" teams don't have professional players on their roster, perhaps they have a bunch of college kids or arena football league players. Even the worst teams have pro bowlers. They're all professionals, 11-5 can only be obtained by playoff caliber teams.

I understand we got beat down against some "great" teams, but that was previous games! I love the comments of Belichick and Rodgers this season. Rodgers says R-E-L-A-X RELAX, meaning a few losses isn't going to kill the season. No need to stress. After a terrible loss to KC Belichick says, "We're on to Cincinnati" meaning, yeah we got our butts kicked, but the season isn't over. Look what those two teams have done since early struggles. It's never too late to turn things around until the season is officially over. With your logic we WILL win against Cin and definitely lose to NE. Which could very well happen, but who knows Bengals could beat us, or we could beat both of those teams. Why should the Colts even show up in Foxboro if they beat the Bengals? The games over right? They beat us once, they must do it again, right?

I think the underachieved part is cause even tho we lost only 5 games 3 of them were very bad not even close losses so I kinda understand where some are coming from also the broncos game we didn't start playing til after halftime and the eagles game we only played til halftime lol

I think the underachieved part is cause even tho we lost only 5 games 3 of them were very bad not even close losses so I kinda understand where some are coming from also the broncos game we didn't start playing til after halftime and the eagles game we only played til halftime lol

A loss is a loss, same thing with a W.  Stats don't matter, just the higher number at the end of the game.  KC beat NE like 41-14 early this season, and they lost to Buffalo, and Miami.  They only have 1 more win.  Same with Broncos.  Did those teams underachieve at all?  We very well could've beat the Broncos and should've beat PHI... That doesn't matter though, it is what it is.  Colts play better as underdogs anyway, so hopefully people keep talking and count them out.  I wonder what people would say if Indy did beat NE in Foxboro?  Would there be any discussion of underachieving or them not being good?  Would that be enough to say they're good enough to win a SB?  Then again we would have to beat the Broncos and NFC winner, so it's highly unlikely, but anything can happen.  Ive seen crazier stuff than that!!

So if you don't believe your team can go to the Super Bowl due to real flaws then your a Hater? Is that what it's come to? 90% of the ppl on the board believe the Colts can beat anybody when they play a complete mistake free game, which they haven't done since the Bengals game. If we played that way consistently, nobody would have reason to doubt this team.

bunch of freaken nay sayers on here..

Just saying it how it is. Colts have been far from impressive in any aspect the past 3 weeks...

I'm still going to cheer, scream, yell, and hope for a chance at a great Super Bowl run but I am just being honest as everyone should.

A loss is a loss, same thing with a W. Stats don't matter, just the higher number at the end of the game. KC beat NE like 41-14 early this season, and they lost to Buffalo, and Miami. They only have 1 more win. Same with Broncos. Did those teams underachieve at all? We very well could've beat the Broncos and should've beat PHI... That doesn't matter though, it is what it is. Colts play better as underdogs anyway, so hopefully people keep talking and count them out. I wonder what people would say if Indy did beat NE in Foxboro? Would there be any discussion of underachieving or them not being good? Would that be enough to say they're good enough to win a SB? Then again we would have to beat the Broncos and NFC winner, so it's highly unlikely, but anything can happen. Ive seen crazier stuff than that!!

I certainly have no problem with the colts shocking me and going to to Super Bowl! :)

Let me be honest (and real) at the same time here!  The Colts are NOT expected or favored to make it to the Super Bowl.  After the shutout vs Cin earlier this season, it is safe to say we should win the WC game at home (definitely not a given tho).  After that, who really knows?  Sure, we got whipped by the Patriots earlier this year, but it's a whole new game!  Just like us vs. Cincinnati.  I wouldn't be too shocked if the Colts beat either team, but it's not to be expected to go into Foxboro and hand the Pats a loss.  Anything can happen, and that's why we play the game!

The Colts are 11-5 for a reason, despite peoples logic of playing in a bad division.  

Let me be honest (and real) at the same time here!  The Colts are NOT expected or favored to make it to the Super Bowl.  After the shutout vs Cin earlier this season, it is safe to say we should win the WC game at home (definitely not a given tho).  After that, who really knows?  Sure, we got whipped by the Patriots earlier this year, but it's a whole new game!  Just like us vs. Cincinnati.  I wouldn't be too shocked if the Colts beat either team, but it's not to be expected to go into Foxboro and hand the Pats a loss.  Anything can happen, and that's why we play the game!

The Colts are 11-5 for a reason, despite peoples logic of playing in a bad division.  

My hope is the Ravens upset Pittsburgh and then Colts will upset Denver....will see

I didn't know the season is over. How did we underachieved?

The only point to playing this game is to get into the playoffs and win some games to get a shot at the Super Bowl. We accomplished getting into the playoffs, but IMO only due to our terrible division. We benefitted directly from happenstance, that our division is terribly uncompetitive. 

Adding to that, the only teams left in the playoffs that we've beaten are the two wildcard teams. Beyond that, we got lambasted by the Steelers, owned up pretty hard by the Patriots, and beaten by the Broncos. 

In short, we didn't do what we've done in the last 2 years......beat Conference championship caliber teams in the regular season. Unlike in the previous two seasons, we haven't shown we're capable of beating any team. 

The positives are; We DID beat the pants off of our first round opponent, the Bengals. We *should be able to beat them handedly.

Beyond that, going to Gillette, we've done nothing to show we could win that game. 

The only point to playing this game is to get into the playoffs and win some games to get a shot at the Super Bowl. We accomplished getting into the playoffs, but IMO only due to our terrible division. We benefitted directly from happenstance, that our division is terribly uncompetitive. 

Adding to that, the only teams left in the playoffs that we've beaten are the two wildcard teams. Beyond that, we got lambasted by the Steelers, owned up pretty hard by the Patriots, and beaten by the Broncos. 

In short, we didn't do what we've done in the last 2 years......beat Conference championship caliber teams in the regular season. Unlike in the previous two seasons, we haven't shown we're capable of beating any team. 

The positives are; We DID beat the pants off of our first round opponent, the Bengals. We *should be able to beat them handedly.

Beyond that, going to Gillette, we've done nothing to show we could win that game. 

To be fair, Carolina won their division despite sucking for a large part of the year while the rest of the teams played hot potato with the crown. New England has the Jets, Bills and Dolphins to beat up on each year. You could make the case for every team outside of the AFC North being the product of a weak division. Division games are not easy by any means. In fact, some of the major upsets in the league happen within divisions.

However, I do agree that the Colts have shown no reason why they can go up to New England or Denver and win. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen though.

Colts under achieved at 11-5? 

Have you actually looked at the teams we've beaten? Baltimore, Houston and Cincinnati are the only winning teams we've taken out. The rest were all losers. Our division isn't challenging at all. Which says a lot about us. We're damn good, but when lined up against true playoff caliber teams (non-wildcard), we've lost every time. 

All that being said, I feel really good about our chances. Heck, we may even pull off a win against NE if we don't screw up 20 times in a game. Which is the crux of why so many fans are nervous/negative. We've seen this team screw up so much in 2014, they make a TON of mistakes. 

To be fair, Carolina won their division despite sucking for a large part of the year while the rest of the teams played hot potato with the crown. New England has the Jets, Bills and Dolphins to beat up on each year. You could make the case for every team outside of the AFC North being the product of a weak division. Division games are not easy by any means. In fact, some of the major upsets in the league happen within divisions.

However, I do agree that the Colts have shown no reason why they can go up to New England or Denver and win. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen though.

New England failed to make the playoffs the year Brady was hurt.  What was their record that year?  11-5

You said we underachieved this season though. It isn't over.

If we win it all will you still sing the same tune?

We're the 4th seed. 

So assuming Pitt beats Baltimore, @ Heinz, (I'd say that's a pretty valid assumption) and that we overcome the Bengals @ home.

We'd have to play NE @ Gillette. We played them this season with, home field advantage, and still got washed out 42-20. That's a pretty good reason not to have much confidence. Even if we somehow pull off a miracle, we then have to travel to Pitt or Denver, I honestly think it will be Pitt. Remember what happened last time we were there? 34-51.

It's not pessimism, it's realism. 

Yes, objective, fact-based criticism is sometimes confused for "hate." But, to borrow a quote another forum member's signature line (John Dee), who himself is quoting Aldous Huxley, "Facts to not cease to exist because they are ignored."

I may be wasting my time, but the lack of development is highlighted by Luck's inability to stop his turnovers and to realize that sometimes he has to throw the ball away.

It's not your father's NFL. Interceptions are the worst thing a QB can do today, Sacks and fumbles, while not 100% his fault alone are the result maybe of a stubborn streak. 13 fumbles this year, a career high, and led the league.

Physical tools are great, he needs coaching.

If by coaching you mean he needs a better Offensive Line, then I wholeheartedly agree.

What's your point? We didn't win the division in 2012 at 11-5.

Yes. But imagine 11-5 and not being in the playoffs?  You are doing a poor job of creating a straw man argument. You said the Pats had an easy in to the playoffs every year.  Did you ever think that the teams in the AFC East all have to play the Pats TWICE every year?  The Colts could be 10-6 had they the AFC East schedule.  Probably even worse, as they would have played the Packers and the Lions.

You said we underachieved this season though. It isn't over.

If we win it all will you still sing the same tune?

No. I would then say we turned things around. 

We only have the regular season to use as a metric, and what we saw was the first half of the season, we were the most potent offense in the league. Then we became the stumbling, bumbling Keystone Colts. 

We were up, we went down. Let's hope we go up again. 

No. I would then say we turned things around.

We only have the regular season to use as a metric, and what we saw was the first half of the season, we were the most potent offense in the league. Then we became the stumbling, bumbling Keystone Colts.

We were up, we went down. Let's hope we go up again.

I agree, but a lot of teams step up in the playoffs and it seems you guys don't have a "why not us" mentality.

Anyway, I'm tired of arguing. I'm sick as a dog and you're getting me worked up.

Let's just agree we will root for the same team come Sunday afternoon.

I guess Green Bay underachieved in 2010 and the NYG underachieved in 2011 and the Ravens in 2012.

Look at who usually wins the Super Bowl, guys.

Are your memories that short?

"Usually"? 

I'm not sure that's accurate. We could also point to all the teams in a similar disposition that did NOT find success, and it would be quite a few. Pont being, the Colts have shown both the ability to be dominant and the ability to completely flop. No wonder our fans are having such an internal struggle with this teams identity. 

PS: What other teams did or didn't do, has no bearing on us.