Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Newsome

danlhart87

He has the best pure pass rush of anyone on the team. (That might be an indictment on the rest of the team, but whatever.) I'm a big fan of Newsome. He has a lot of work to do in the offseason, but he's gonna be good.

That's true, but that's okay.  If Mathis does come back it will only make him better.  

agree. Pass rush should improve next year with him improving and Mathis coming back.

Not to be negative but what makes everyone believe that Mathis will be the same player he was before his injury, I want him to be but for a pass rusher a ACL tear is a very serious injury even for Mathis.

I think Newsome is a very solid player for a rookie should get and deserve more snaps, Next year he will be a major Asset to the team

Newsome should be starting, he's by far the best pass rusher on the team.

The reason he's not starting is because he's poor in a number of other areas that are important for a starting LBer.

Like playing the run....   like covering a back or TE....    like playing in space.

At the moment,  he's a bit one dimensional,  what he can do best is rush the passer.    He needs to get better in other areas to get more playing time.

Not to be negative but what makes everyone believe that Mathis will be the same player he was before his injury, I want him to be but for a pass rusher a ACL tear is a very serious injury even for Mathis.

I think Newsome is a very solid player for a rookie should get and deserve more snaps, Next year he will be a major Asset to the team

Your point is well-taken but just for clarity purposes his injury was to his achilles and not his ACL.  There is no telling what impact he will have next year when considering age and significant injury.

Your point is well-taken but just for clarity purposes his injury was to his achilles and not his ACL.  There is no telling what impact he will have next year when considering age and significant injury.

My bad I thought it was a ACL except my apologies for my miss information

an injured Mathis is better than a healthy Bjoern pass rush wise.

an injured Mathis is better than a healthy Bjoern pass rush wise.

Already thinking Bjoern is a bust the man is only in his second season before we start judging give him at least a 3rd year then everyone can start grading him on his performance also Bjoern was not a OLB when he came to the colts if correct he played in a 4/3, How long did it take Mathis to become a elite pass rusher it was not overnight and by the way he had freeney on the other side. I like Mathis all I am saying is we do not know what condation he will be in when he starts training camp, I hope he gets back to his old self but who knows and as for Newsome I think another training camp will be beneficial for him in his development and a good pick for the 5th round 

What udfa outplayed him?

I apologize.. johnathan newsome was a 5th rounder, was projected to go undrafted.. but yeah he out played werner in one game.. newsome lead the team in sacks this year.. and for barely seeing the field is impressive. I hope we continue to give newsome more snaps in the playoffs. He's the only one doing his job consistently

Already thinking Bjoern is a bust the man is only in his second season before we start judging give him at least a 3rd year then everyone can start grading him on his performance also Bjoern was not a OLB when he came to the colts if correct he played in a 4/3, How long did it take Mathis to become a elite pass rusher it was not overnight and by the way he had freeney on the other side. I like Mathis all I am saying is we do not know what condation he will be in when he starts training camp, I hope he gets back to his old self but who knows and as for Newsome I think another training camp will be beneficial for him in his development and a good pick for the 5th round

Newsome was a 4-3 defensive end.. he made the switch as well.. fact of the matter is newsome has out played werner in 1/4 the time

Newsome was a 4-3 defensive end.. he made the switch as well.. fact of the matter is newsome has out played werner in 1/4 the time

and Werner has also been asked to do far more so far than Newsome.  Werner is better both against the run and in coverage than Newsome is.  Not trying to take away from Newsome, he is a very good speed rusher, but at this point in time that's all he is.  I'm sure he will continue to improve but the continued hate by a few people on Werner is ridiculous.

You can't use that excuse on a first rounder. First rounders are supposed to make an impact in their 1st or 2nd year. Rob Mathis was a 5th rounder which is why it took time for him to discover himself.