Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetically...had This Neck Issue Never Occurred...

Cain Marko

Lets say Manning was never hurt. Or at least the very first surgery 2 years ago fixed this problem and the subsequent surgeries were not required. Manning goes out there and has his typical year but the wins just don't come. The Colts end up with the first pick, what do they do with it?

Do you take Luck recognizing that Peyton is in his final few years?

Do you trade it and possibly find yourself in the Colts current position a few years down the road?

Do you take someone other than Luck or trade the pick for as much as possible?

This is ridiculous. It's like saying "What if it rained everyday, but the ground just never got wet?"

That makes no sense and is an *ic comparison. It's a legit question. If Luck is so darn good and you're in a position to get the "best QB prospect in 14 years" do you pull the trigger when you already have the G.O.A.T who is still performing but has limited time left?

A response isn't needed from you either because its clear you have nothing to add with your previous statement.

That makes no sense and is an *ic comparison. It's a legit question. If Luck is so darn good and you're in a position to get the "best QB prospect in 14 years" do you pull the trigger when you already have the G.O.A.T who is still performing but has limited time left?

A response isn't needed from you either because its clear you have nothing to add with your previous statement.

If Manning were playing, we wouldn't be in position to draft Andrew Luck. Even a bad season with Manning is still at least an 8 win season. You said he has his typical season, and last year, he willed us to 10 wins with virtually no help from the defense or the running game, or special teams. It was all the passing game for most of last year. We were four or five errant throws from going 13-3 and having the top seed in the AFC.

If, somehow, we had Manning playing well, but the defense was giving every game away at the end, or something crazy like that, and we were still in position to draft first, I don't think we'd draft a quarterback with the first pick. I think we'd either take a playmaker if one is available at an impact position (defensive tackle, corner, receiver), or we trade down and try to add as many pieces as possible and load up for another four years with Manning. The reason I say that is because it would be evident that we need significant help outside of the quarterback position to be competitive. I'm relatively certain that we'd be looking at another 10 win season at least if Manning were healthy and playing well. He's the biggest difference maker in the league.

Difference between the two scenarios is that you have a measure of certainty with Peyton Manning that we don't have, specifically because of the injury that you're saying we should pretend never happened. We don't know if Manning is still the biggest difference maker in the league.

If Manning were playing, we wouldn't be in position to draft Andrew Luck. Even a bad season with Manning is still at least an 8 win season. You said he has his typical season, and last year, he willed us to 10 wins with virtually no help from the defense or the running game, or special teams. It was all the passing game for most of last year. We were four or five errant throws from going 13-3 and having the top seed in the AFC.

If, somehow, we had Manning playing well, but the defense was giving every game away at the end, or something crazy like that, and we were still in position to draft first, I don't think we'd draft a quarterback with the first pick. I think we'd either take a playmaker if one is available at an impact position (defensive tackle, corner, receiver), or we trade down and try to add as many pieces as possible and load up for another four years with Manning. The reason I say that is because it would be evident that we need significant help outside of the quarterback position to be competitive. I'm relatively certain that we'd be looking at another 10 win season at least if Manning were healthy and playing well. He's the biggest difference maker in the league.

Difference between the two scenarios is that you have a measure of certainty with Peyton Manning that we don't have, specifically because of the injury that you're saying we should pretend never happened. We don't know if Manning is still the biggest difference maker in the league.

I believe the Colts wouldn't be in this position either. I still believe the Colts would have won the division this year. I (like most on here) was hoping for a home game SB. Especially since I don't see the Pats, Steelers, or Ravens being very consistent.

I would like a healthy Peyton and a Matt Kalil or a Justin Blackmon with extra picks over Luck.

Hypotheticaly speaking if Manning was healthy and the Colts were losing it would mean something else is wrong with the team (O-line, D-line, WR, RBs,, etc). The draft picks then should be used to draft players which should help in those areas. Picking a QB (even Luck) would be a wasted draft pick. If Manning was healthy then the Colts realistically would not be looking for their next QB for another couple of years.

Lets say Manning was never hurt. Or at least the very first surgery 2 years ago fixed this problem and the subsequent surgeries were not required. Manning goes out there and has his typical year but the wins just don't come. The Colts end up with the first pick, what do they do with it?

Do you trade it and possibly find yourself in the Colts current position a few years down the road?

Let's say Manning was never hurt.

We would be 12-0,

trying to decide whether to go 13-0 or pull the starters,

in the playoffs,

pick no better than 24th in the upcoming draft.

And what exactly are we gonna trade?????

Some of these hypothetical situations are far too unrealistic to even offer any form of realistic response but here it goes..

So let's do that let's fast forward 5-6 years with Manning in his early 40's, so yeah we might try to draft a replacement if we hadn't already. Andrew Luck wouldn't be an option since he would already be in the league for 5-6 years.

Unrealistic answer for an unrealistic hypothetical.

I say you'd have to take Luck in that scenario. If Peyton couldn't win anymore, you would have to replace him. But that is not the case, so this situation is a lot more volatile. It has become a polarizing topic for fans.

I say you'd have to take Luck in that scenario. If Peyton couldn't win anymore, you would have to replace him. But that is not the case, so this situation is a lot more volatile. It has become a polarizing topic for fans.

Manning playing, wins DO come, we make playoffs, we pick no better than 24th.

If Manning had never been hurt..you trade the pick to Cleveland for their two No.1 picks..

But the Marko's premise was that Manning plays we still get the No.1 pick.

I cant change his game here... he made the rules :rules:

If Manning played, had his typical year and we went 0-12.....we'd trade the No.1 for two No.1s

It might be his rules, but it's so ridiculous you have to respond in kind.

So I would propose a trade of Curtis Painter & Jim Caldwell to New England for Bill Belichick and 7 game used hot dog wrappers, with an agreement that in transit UPS would stop and let Caldwell smell the hot dog wrappers to savor the smell.

But the Marko's premise was that Manning plays we still get the No.1 pick.

I cant change his game here... he made the rules :rules:

If Manning played, had his typical year and we went 0-12.....we'd trade the No.1 for two No.1s

Well of course....plus a couple of later rounds,...plus player to be named later....

It might be his rules, but it's so ridiculous you have to respond in kind.

So I would propose a trade of Curtis Painter & Jim Caldwell to New England for Bill Belichick and 7 game used hot dog wrappers, with an agreement that in transit UPS would stop and let Caldwell smell the hot dog wrappers to savor the smell.

Now 'at rat thar, 'at's funny, 'at rat thar is.....

Sorry if you didn't get it. Let me try to put into terms that make sense to you....

You said, "If the injury to Peyton's neck had never happned BUT we still had the number one pick....yada yada yada."

The thing is, if the injury had never happened, the Colts would not have the first pick.

There is no logical causal link between the two.

I made a similar (completely ridiculous) analogy that has no logical causal link to point out the ridiculousness of your hypothetical. Call me "*ic" all you want, but I think the other responses you have gotten should be evidence enough to you that you are wrong and I am right.

Some of you guys REALLY need to chill out with this "ridiculous" crap. It's hypothetical and just something to talk about or at least mull through. I know, we're all so entrenched in this fabulous season the Colts are having but you can only read so many "fire Caldwell threads" or "trade Peyton or don't trade Peyton."

Yes, I'm in the same boat as all of you that if Peyton is playing we're fighting for the number 1 seed, not draft pick. It was a simple question; healthy manning and the first pick at this stage of his career, what do you want? Thanks for those that answered or discussed. It wasn't that hard.

Some of you guys REALLY need to chill out with this "ridiculous" crap. It's hypothetical and just something to talk about or at least mull through. I know, we're all so entrenched in this fabulous season the Colts are having but you can only read so many "fire Caldwell threads" or "trade Peyton or don't trade Peyton."

Yes, I'm in the same boat as all of you that if Peyton is playing we're fighting for the number 1 seed, not draft pick. It was a simple question; healthy manning and the first pick at this stage of his career, what do you want? Thanks for those that answered or discussed. It wasn't that hard.

The only way with a healthy Manning would we even come close to the #1 pick is if we would have received it in some form of trade surrounding a previous draft. Like where Polian so brilliantly gave up our # 1 the next year for Tony Ugoh. So if you are asking if at this year we were having a decent year, and we had an extra draft pick in our back pocket, and it was that of say Minnesota or St. Louis and it could turn into the # 1 pick by the end of the season, then no I really doubt we would consider drafting Luck. We would auction off the pick and pick players that would actually help the team over the near future.

The only reason IMO Andrew Luck is even on the radar is the injuries that Manning is dealing with and not not fully recover from. Maybe that would have been a better hypothetical.

What if Manning was out for the year with something that wasn't career - threatening like an ankle or something?

With an ankle or something, he wouldn't miss but about 3 snaps, just long enough to get it taped up and a pain shot. We make the playoffs.

Only missed one snap with a busted jaw.

(this is so much fun)

WHAT IF:

Harrison, Manning and Edgerinn were still here and healthy and we go 13-0, and we pull the starters against Tenn, Houston, and Jacksonville, does Roger Goodell have a stroke????

OR, WHAT IF: we have what we have, and go 0-13, and we pull the starters against Tenn, Houston, and Jacksonville, does Roger Goodell have a stroke???

If the neck injury hadn't happened we aren't in poistion to get Luck so this isn't really a question.

We are probably either 8-4 or 9-3 looking at the playoffs and the media is asking what do the Panthers or Rams do with a franchise QB already on their roster and being in poistion to get Luck or do the Vikings give up on Ponder after one year to get Luck or heaven forbid the Jags giving up on their young QB after one year to get Luck.