Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Trade Peyton

TN_Colts_Fan_18

Come on guys we have to trade Peyton, right? I mean we are 0-12 without him this season. If we release or trade him, we should be a lot better, right? Ryan Leaf Jr. at Stanford is our savior.

On a serious note, these people who are even considering the thought of trading or releasing the greatest QB to play football to put faith in some guy in college that doesn't even play in the SEC, needs to wake up and realize the reason this organization has been a powerhouse in the NFL for the past 9 years is because of 18. It's that simple. Shouldn't the Colts organization and Colts fan give Manning the opportunity to come back next season and bring this team back to greatness? If Peyton is healthy and says he's ready to play, Polian and Irsay have to trust him and give him the chance to come back and lead this franchise back to the promise land.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO! Neckbeard will save us all. Dump Manning! Draft Neckbeard! Manning is practically a senior citizen. Let him take his money and pick out a nice nursing home. Plus, I heard he can't even turn his head and his throwing arm is completely numb.

You don't pass on the best pro prospect to come along in several millenia. You just don't. Long live Neckbeard!

Trade him.

1.) We have no clue how Manning will respond coming off three neck surgeries.

2.) Manning is not getting any younger. By all accounts, age-wise, he should be declining.

3.) Manning hasn't even been able to work out (heavily) until recently, so he may not be in 100% shape to commence next season.

4.) We aren't going to win a Superbowl next season with our current coaching staff, poor special teams, poor defense, etc. By all accounts, we need to think "rebuilding mode." Yes, Peyton makes us better, but there's only so much he can do. Let him try winning a Superbowl elsewhere. He deserves it.

5.) He will steal Luck's practice snaps. Why do you all think Sorgi and Painter play so poorly!?!

6.) His contract is expensive. Can you imagine the cap space we will save with him gone?

7.) Considering the Carson Palmer trade, we should get at least a 1st and 2nd rounder for Peyton. Why pass that up while saving cap space?

8.) Our o-line is poor. Factor in Peyton's rust, age, and Caldwell's coaching, and Peyton could get re-injured. That means bye bye draft pick trades!

9.) Football is a business, period. The Patriots had no qualms saying bye to Moss, Vrabel, Bruschi, and Seymour. Want to bet Brady's turn will come?

I want to see Peyton on the team as much as any of you but this team is a mess. It's going to probably take awhile to get back on track IMO. I think we might see coaching changes, personnel changes, scheme changes and to top it off we have Manning coming back after a 3rd neck surgery.

I don't think we are going to live in this fairy tail land of Manning coming back 100% playing better than ever and perfectly filling all the massive holes this team has via FA and the draft and winning the SB next year. Some players might not be on this team next year adding more holes to fill.

Only time will tell, however I definitely would be ticked and saddened if Manning was gone but at the same time this team IMO will take awhile to get back on track even with Manning.

Even if Luck is next Peyton Manning taking him is not a good idea. Drafting Luck means reviving idea of an elite QB carrying bad team (after his rookie contract or even earlier Luck will be looking for a Manning-type contract). We have to be a good football team which means a lot of changes. A lot of changes requires a lot of picks. And a QB who leads a team, not carries it. Manning will carry this team till the rebuilding process is over.

Why do people keep emphasizing that Manning has had 3 neck surgeries? Emphasizing 3 surgeries makes it seem like the surgeries are diminishing him in some way or that his problem is a chronic issue. The first 2 surgeries were an attempt to try to stop the pain he was having and to try to keep him from having the major fusion surgery. In hindsight, he probably wishes he would have had the fusion surgery in the first place. He probably would have missed a season but he probably wouldn't have had the nerve issue. This is a career saving procedure that Manning had. It's like a pitcher having Tommy Johns surgery because the generally come back stronger than they were before. The bottom line is that the surgery itself is not the issue. He's concerned about the nerve regeneration so he can gain the strength back in his arm.

Come on guys we have to trade Peyton, right? I mean we are 0-12 without him this season. If we release or trade him, we should be a lot better, right? Ryan Leaf Jr. at Stanford is our savior.

On a serious note, these people who are even considering the thought of trading or releasing the greatest QB to play football to put faith in some guy in college that doesn't even play in the SEC, needs to wake up and realize the reason this organization has been a powerhouse in the NFL for the past 9 years is because of 18. It's that simple. Shouldn't the Colts organization and Colts fan give Manning the opportunity to come back next season and bring this team back to greatness? If Peyton is healthy and says he's ready to play, Polian and Irsay have to trust him and give him the chance to come back and lead this franchise back to the promise land.

Before anything else, I am on the side of keep Peyton for as long as possible. But the notion that those who think the best thing for the organization is to start over with Luck are not necessarily wrong. There is absolute merit to that line of thinking.

* Manning has had 3 recent surgeries on his neck. What happens if in training camp next year and something happens. Where are the Colts then?

* The team has lots of holes and if they can rebuild on the fly by getting extra picks, and good ones at that for Manning, they have to at least consider it.

* Luck is projected to the highest rated player since Elway - there is a chance those projections are wrong but there are too many people saying it for there not be some truth to it

Why do people keep emphasizing that Manning has had 3 neck surgeries? Emphasizing 3 surgeries makes it seem like the surgeries are diminishing him in some way or that his problem is a chronic issue. The first 2 surgeries were an attempt to try to stop the pain he was having and to try to keep him from having the major fusion surgery. In hindsight, he probably wishes he would have had the fusion surgery in the first place. He probably would have missed a season but he probably wouldn't have had the nerve issue. This is a career saving procedure that Manning had. It's like a pitcher having Tommy Johns surgery because the generally come back stronger than they were before. The bottom line is that the surgery itself is not the issue. He's concerned about the nerve regeneration so he can gain the strength back in his arm.

That is all well and good, but whether or not the surgery is career saving has not been determined yet.

I am so glad you pointed that out as I had meant to write that at some point. The first two opeerations were just to try to save from having the fusion. I, personally, have technically had two surgeries on my back, but the first one was to prevent the second one. So it is not accumulative. I could have had the second one out of the gate and call it good.

I am so glad you pointed that out as I had meant to write that at some point. The first two opeerations were just to try to save from having the fusion. I, personally, have technically had two surgeries on my back, but the first one was to prevent the second one. So it is not accumulative. I could have had the second one out of the gate and call it good.

Semantics. Simple question - how many times has Manning been under the knife to have a procedure done on his neck?

NO! Neckbeard will save us all. Dump Manning! Draft Neckbeard! Manning is practically a senior citizen. Let him take his money and pick out a nice nursing home. Plus, I heard he can't even turn his head and his throwing arm is completely numb.

You don't pass on the best pro prospect to come along in several millenia. You just don't. Long live Neckbeard!

Yes, trade Peyton to a team that is a QB short of winning a championship, e.g., San Fran. See if Andrew can duplicate Peyton's success with a talent-challenged team.

For the love of God liberate the man to win some championships and cement his legacy.

Why continue to hold him hostage to this 0-16 hollow shell of a football team? He has carried it far enough.

Why do people think Peyton needs more championships to cement his legacy? How many SB titles does Dan Marino or Brett Farve have? Elway only has 2, Joe Namath only has 1.

Also there is no guarentee should Peyton go to another team that they would make it to a SB let alone win.

Even if Luck is next Peyton Manning taking him is not a good idea. Drafting Luck means reviving idea of an elite QB carrying bad team (after his rookie contract or even earlier Luck will be looking for a Manning-type contract). We have to be a good football team which means a lot of changes. A lot of changes requires a lot of picks. And a QB who leads a team, not carries it. Manning will carry this team till the rebuilding process is over.

If we draft Luck he will get I believe like a 4 year deal. Should he spend the first and maybe second season sitting behind Peyton, there is little to no chance that come his second contract he would get anywhere NEAR Peyton money unless he comes in that 3rd or 4th season and is the GOAT from the start and I don't see that. He would get a bump in salary in that second contract but no where near Peyton money.

Because "any time" you have to have surgery it's not a good thing. The human body was not made to be cut open and operated on. Then add in the type of surgery and Peytons profession, the amount does come into play.

For the love of God liberate the man to win some championships and cement his legacy.

Why continue to hold him hostage to this 0-16 hollow shell of a football team? He has carried it far enough.

Hold him hostage?????? I'm sorry I remember during his signing of recent contract he was happy he got to end his career as a Colt with that contract? It wasn't until we (media, and Luck fan's) brought up this supposingly next GOD of the football, we have heard anything different. Never seen so many people ready to kick out a great for someone we have no idea what could produce... I loved the Ryan Leaf JR remark was perfect.

Hold him hostage?????? I'm sorry I remember during his signing of recent contract he was happy he got to end his career as a Colt with that contract? It wasn't until we (media, and Luck fan's) brought up this supposingly next GOD of the football, we have heard anything different. Never seen so many people ready to kick out a great for someone we have no idea what could produce... I loved the Ryan Leaf JR remark was perfect.

How dare you bring in the Leaf argument!! haha

Ive said that very thing a thousand and one times. We have a proven Future HOF qb and we want to trade him for a college unproven QB..? Just simply dumb as all get out.

Because "any time" you have to have surgery it's not a good thing. The human body was not made to be cut open and operated on. Then add in the type of surgery and Peytons profession, the amount does come into play.

Anyone watch the Steelers game last night? After they discussed all of :edit: injuries over the years plus the ankle injury he sustained last night, i guess he should give it up and retire too. Dang injuries. Grr..

Mod note: Please, NO insulting nicknames for NFL teams or personnel.

Trade him.

1.) We have no clue how Manning will respond coming off three neck surgeries. Or Luck

2.) Manning is not getting any younger. By all accounts, age-wise, he should be declining. But has he?

3.) Manning hasn't even been able to work out (heavily) until recently, so he may not be in 100% shape to commence next season. He has all winter/Spring/Summer, this is dumb.

4.) We aren't going to win a Superbowl next season with our current coaching staff, poor special teams, poor defense, etc. By all accounts, we need to think "rebuilding mode." Yes, Peyton makes us better, but there's only so much he can do. Let him try winning a Superbowl elsewhere. He deserves it. Why? There are players on the roster that took them to the Super Bowl just 2 years ago. Again 2 years ago.

5.) He will steal Luck's practice snaps. Why do you all think Sorgi and Painter play so poorly!?! Because Sorgi and Painter were terrible. Luck could suck too, ie Leaf.

6.) His contract is expensive. Can you imagine the cap space we will save with him gone? Do the Patriots complain of Brady's contract?

7.) Considering the Carson Palmer trade, we should get at least a 1st and 2nd rounder for Peyton. Why pass that up while saving cap space? Have you seen Palmer play lately, terrible.

8.) Our o-line is poor. Factor in Peyton's rust, age, and Caldwell's coaching, and Peyton could get re-injured. That means bye bye draft pick trades! The O-line has been in shambles for years now, wash.

9.) Football is a business, period. The Patriots had no qualms saying bye to Moss, Vrabel, Bruschi, and Seymour. Want to bet Brady's turn will come?

Moss-head case, Vrabel, Bruschi, and Seymour-were old, slow players and hurting the defense, Manning doesn't have to run and tackle ball carriers

Anyone watch the Steelers game last night? After they discussed all of :edit: injuries over the years plus the ankle injury he sustained last night, i guess he should give it up and retire too. Dang injuries. Grr..

His career will be shortened due to all the injuries, the body just can't take a beating like that...

How dare you bring in the Leaf argument!! haha

Ive said that very thing a thousand and one times. We have a proven Future HOF qb and we want to trade him for a college unproven QB..? Just simply dumb as all get out.

A proven HoF QB who has not yet proven that he can play again.

What if Luck proves to be the next Manning but you pass on him and ultimately the chance to be set for the next 12 years at the most important position in all of sports? It is not nearly as cut and dry as you make it sound.

Well this is absolutely pointless to Manning.

A proven HoF QB who has not yet proven that he can play again.

***And luck has proven what in the NFL exactly? Nothing.

What if Luck proves to be the next Manning but you pass on him and ultimately the chance to be set for the next 12 years at the most important position in all of sports? It is not nearly as cut and dry as you make it sound.

Well this is absolutely pointless to Manning.

***Wrong. He has played with more injuries than Manning has over the years. Will it limit his years? Who knows. He hasnt hung his cleats up yet. Till either one does, its anyones GUESS.

Trade him.

1.) We have no clue how Manning will respond coming off three neck surgeries.

2.) Manning is not getting any younger. By all accounts, age-wise, he should be declining.

3.) Manning hasn't even been able to work out (heavily) until recently, so he may not be in 100% shape to commence next season.

4.) We aren't going to win a Superbowl next season with our current coaching staff, poor special teams, poor defense, etc. By all accounts, we need to think "rebuilding mode." Yes, Peyton makes us better, but there's only so much he can do. Let him try winning a Superbowl elsewhere. He deserves it.

5.) He will steal Luck's practice snaps. Why do you all think Sorgi and Painter play so poorly!?!

6.) His contract is expensive. Can you imagine the cap space we will save with him gone?

7.) Considering the Carson Palmer trade, we should get at least a 1st and 2nd rounder for Peyton. Why pass that up while saving cap space?

8.) Our o-line is poor. Factor in Peyton's rust, age, and Caldwell's coaching, and Peyton could get re-injured. That means bye bye draft pick trades!

You make some great points, and the one that really makes sense is #4. The way the team is set up right now with coaching, holes on defense and defensive scheme, and poor special teams play, there is no way we can win a Super Bowl, even with Manning. The team overall is not Super Bowl caliber right now.

I'm in the camp that says we need to leverage the desire of other teams that want a quarterback. In order to be a ligitimate Super Bowl contender, we need to either trade the first pick for more draft picks, or trade Manning for more draft picks. (Yes there are teams that would pay for Manning if he passes their team physicals. All top rated quarterbacks are paid similarly, Brady, Roethlisberger, Vick, Eli Manning etc..)

This is a golden opportunity to leverage Luck's hype to build a strong team for Manning and go "all in" for a few more years. If we do win a Super Bowl, everyone will have forgiven passing up on Luck. If we don't win, well....

Between the two scenarios, I think you take Luck and move forward with him. Yes, there are other quarterbacks in the draft but in my opinion, he's the best of the draft class. This of course means that you trade Manning. You would offset his large salary and also get a few draft picks to build a team around Luck.

If we draft Luck he will get I believe like a 4 year deal. Should he spend the first and maybe second season sitting behind Peyton, there is little to no chance that come his second contract he would get anywhere NEAR Peyton money unless he comes in that 3rd or 4th season and is the GOAT from the start and I don't see that. He would get a bump in salary in that second contract but no where near Peyton money.

Again, something that you are entirely incorrect on.

His first deal will be a 4 year deal, there is no question about that. It can't be shorter, it can't be longer.

The Colts like every other NFL team will own an option for a 5th year which will at the new formula which is much more complicated and is formed by determining the franchise tags at that position over the last five years as a percentage of the overall cap figure in each of those five years. Considering we are talking about 2016. That could easily be 20 million by that point. It is currently set at 14 million for 2012. So the thought that he won't be getting top of the line money starting in year 5, is just simply inaccurate, that is if he's good enough to warrant the option to be picked up. Moving forward in year 6, he would either be tagged at 120% of his year 5 salary, or he would sign an extension that will not be cheap at that point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8247df3a/article/franchisetag-values-will-be-down-across-the-board-in-2012?TB_iframe=true&height=650&width=850

There was also this guy name Brees.... He plays for the Saints... Heard he was cut open as well, you can tell from his style of play from before, and after surgery that the "human body just isn't made to be cut open"... He should have sat in a rocking chair as well, can't believe he was so silly to think he could still play.

***Wrong. He has played with more injuries than Manning has over the years. Will it limit his years? Who knows. He hasnt hung his cleats up yet. Till either one does, its anyones GUESS.

Let's see.

Played 9 games with his broken jaw wired shut (missed one play when he got it busted). Still changed plays and made adjustments at line of scrimmage, verbally. Got all nourishment by drinking through a straw..

Plays with leg brace on one leg.

Sustained injury to neck against Washington in 2006 and played with that for 4 years, before he finally had to have surgery on it.

And these don't count knicks and bruises.

Let's see.

Played 9 games with his broken jaw wired shut (missed one play when he got it busted). Still changed plays and made adjustments at line of scrimmage, verbally. Got all nourishment by drinking through a straw..

Sustained injury to neck against Washington in 2006 and played with that for 4 years, before he finally had to have surgery on it.

Yeah the way Manning isn't perceived as tough is just ignorant in a lot of cases. The way Steve Mcnair was lauded, Favre, etc. Yeah they had some bumps and bruises too, but no more than any other QB. If anything Mcnair was fragile, and had a strong will, but each of the Manning's are tough.. Eli had two injuries that were supposed to end difference seasons.. Shoulder injury and a foot injury. Played through each of them, just has Peyton has played through everything but this recent one.

I have a suggestion.

Why don't we all calm down and stop reacting emotionally to this issue.

We don't know Manning's status. We don't know if he can come back, at what capacity. We don't know if he does come back for how long it will be. We don't know how Luck is going to do in the NFL, we don't know what offers may be on the table from what teams for the first pick. We don't technically know if we're going to get that first pick (I know, I know, but stranger things have happened in the NFL)

We do know that if Manning can't go, we have no real option at QB. We know that even with Manning, there are holes on this team that need to be addressed. We know that at some point very soon we will have to deal with the fact that Peyton Manning is not going to be our QB forever even if he does come back.

That points to drafting a QB this year. I don't really see any way around that. Now, that doesn't mean it has to be Luck, but the thought of going into next season with our current roster of QBs given the uncertainanty around Manning's neck is something that will keep me up at night (and it should keep YOU up at night too)

Let's see.

Im not going to get into a ticking match on who has had more injuries. Both have. I never said Manning hadnt had injuries or wasnt as tough so lay off the sarcasm. But rothlesberger has played with more concussions and broken bones than other players i can remember as of late.

Neckbeard? :unsure:

Im not going to get into a ticking match on who has had more injuries. Both have. I never said Manning hadnt had injuries or wasnt as tough so lay off the sarcasm. But rothlesberger has played with more concussions and broken bones than other players i can remember as of late.

From what I remember he also has embellished a few of his injuries, some in fact which his coach has offered a countering opinion on the seriousness of a couple of those injuries.