Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long do you see the Manning-Brady rivalry continue?

coltkingABC

Nice way to deflect and not respond to the actual point YOU made that the Pats should pay Revis $20 mil because he is 30 and not pay Brady $7mil because he is 38.

Actually, I never said the Pats should pay Revis $20 mil next year.  I never mentioned what specific price I want the Pats to pay Revis next year.  I did speculate that Revis most likely will command Richard Sherman/Patrick Peterson type money.  I did say that Revis should be a higher priority than Brady in the off season.  I just know they won't be giving Revis $20 mil next year on his current contract.

The Pats I hope do work out a long term contract with Revis like a 5 year deal.  I think they could possibly afford a 4 to 5 year deal for $14 to $15 mil a year.  Jonathan Kraft spoke about this on radio about Revis' $20 mil for 2015 is too high.  He said both sides will have to work something out if Revis is to stay a Patriot.

And no, I don't believe Brady will be playing next year for $7 to $9 mil......and Revis will not be playing for $20 million.  Not gonna happen.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/report_patriots_already_working_to_extend_darrelle.html

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing can top your obsession for Brady :)

Ahhh.....   anyone who has an obsession for Tom Brady has earned it.

Just as anyone who has an obsession for Peyton Manning has earned it.

Jimmy G......    ahhhh,  get back to me in 10 years when his fans have earned it........

Just sayin....

Actually, I never said the Pats should pay Revis $20 mil next year.  I never mentioned what specific price I want the Pats to pay Revis next year.  I did speculate that Revis most likely will command Richard Sherman/Patrick Peterson type money.  I did say that Revis should be a higher priority than Brady in the off season.  I just know they won't be giving Revis $20 mil next year on his current contract.

The Pats I hope do work out a long term contract with Revis like a 5 year deal.  I think they could possibly afford a 4 to 5 year deal for $14 to $15 mil a year.  Jonathan Kraft spoke about this on radio about Revis' $20 mil for 2015 is too high.  He said both sides will have to work something out if Revis is to stay a Patriot.

And no, I don't believe Brady will be playing next year for $7 to $9 mil......and Revis will not be playing for $20 million.  Not gonna happen.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/08/report_patriots_already_working_to_extend_darrelle.html

Ok. Well now you are changing the argument. That is not what you first stated. Revis will not play for anyone at $20 mil. I expect the Pats to make him a multi year deal that is somewhere between $12-15 mil per year. What will most likely make or break the deal is the guaranteed money and the number of years. Also, if the Pats win the Super Bowl this year than I believe all bets are off as Revis will have his ring can yap with Sherman over it and may want to be the highest paid CB in the game as a result. If they don't win it all then I think that changes things. Based on his performance this year, it is hard not to see still as the best at the position. He also seems to like Bill and this team a lot just based on his comments throughout the season. Not sure how much he would want to leave that to to the likes of an Oakland just for more money.

In terms of Brady, he is signed for the next three years. He is not going anywhere. He is not holding out. I do see the Pats throwing more money at him... probably some type of bonus to reward him for the season he has this year in order to bump that $7 mil into double digits.

Jimmy G......    ahhhh,  get back to me in 10 years when his fans have earned it........

Just sayin....

Well said.

Ok. Well now you are changing the argument. That is not what you first stated. Revis will not play for anyone at $20 mil. I expect the Pats to make him a multi year deal that is somewhere between $12-15 mil per year. What will most likely make or break the deal is the guaranteed money and the number of years. Also, if the Pats win the Super Bowl this year than I believe all bets are off as Revis will have his ring can yap with Sherman over it and may want to be the highest paid CB in the game as a result. If they don't win it all then I think that changes things. Based on his performance this year, it is hard not to see still as the best at the position. He also seems to like Bill and this team a lot just based on his comments throughout the season. Not sure how much he would want to leave that to to the likes of an Oakland just for more money.

In terms of Brady, he is signed for the next three years. He is not going anywhere. He is not holding out. I do see the Pats throwing more money at him... probably some type of bonus to reward him for the season he has this year in order to bump that $7 mil into double digits.

"I expect the Pats to make him a multi year deal that is somewhere between $12-15 mil per year."

I think Revis will turn down anything under $13 mil a year.  Sherman and Peterson make at least $14 mil a year.  I hope Kraft doesn't low ball Revis in his initial offering to which I think will insult Revis.  I hope Kraft's first offer is $14 mil a year for 5 years and $47 to $50 million guaranteed.  You don't want to leave room for other teams to come in and throw in their offers.  Plus,  I just hope Kraft doesn't handle the negotiations with Revis the way he did with Welker or the way the Red Sox did with Lester.  Kraft likes to play hard ball and that turns off athletes and their agents.

"I expect the Pats to make him a multi year deal that is somewhere between $12-15 mil per year."

I think Revis will turn down anything under $13 mil a year.  Sherman and Peterson make at least $14 mil a year.  I hope Kraft doesn't low ball Revis in his initial offering to which I think will insult Revis.  I hope Kraft's first offer is $14 mil a year for 5 years and $47 to $50 million guaranteed.  You don't want to leave room for other teams to come in and throw in their offers.  Plus,  I just hope Kraft doesn't handle the negotiations with Revis the way he did with Welker or the way the Red Sox did with Lester.  Kraft likes to play hard ball and that turns off athletes and their agents.

They will get Revis done.

Revis will get done for fair market value. He likes winning a little bit more than #1 money at this point in his career.

Brady has a 15 million dollar bonus coming next season as soon as he takes his first snap against the Bill on Sunday. He'll be playing for 22 million next season.

Revis will get done for fair market value. He likes winning a little bit more than #1 money at this point in his career.

Brady has a 15 million dollar bonus coming next season as soon as he takes his first snap against the Bill on Sunday. He'll be playing for 22 million next season.

You say that as if you personally know Revis and as if he's said that.  But he's never said that.

In reality Revis is on his 3rd team and he is not a company guy.  He will go to any team that gives him the money based on his actions and not speculation.

Getting #1 money can be misleading.  I think the odds are Revis will demand a contract in the ballpark of Richard Sherman's and Patrick Peterson's in the $14 mil a year, 4 to 5 year deal, with $47 to $50 mil guaranteed.  It only makes sense since he is a top 3 corner in the NFL.

With regards to Brady's bonus for next year, that's all based on if Brady starts against the Bills.  Now, I think Brady does play, but don't be surprised if the Pats sit him and start Jimmy G.  I think it's 60/40 in favor of Brady playing.

You say that as if you personally know Revis and as if he's said that. But he's never said that.

In reality Revis is on his 3rd team and he is not a company guy. He will go to any team that gives him the money based on his actions and not speculation.

Getting #1 money can be misleading. I think the odds are Revis will demand a contract in the ballpark of Richard Sherman's and Patrick Peterson's in the $14 mil a year, 4 to 5 year deal, with $47 to $50 mil guaranteed. It only makes sense since he is a top 3 corner in the NFL.

With regards to Brady's bonus for next year, that's all based on if Brady starts against the Bills. Now, I think Brady does play, but don't be surprised if the Pats sit him and start Jimmy G. I think it's 60/40 in favor of Brady playing.

Like I said Revis signs with the Patriots for fair market value. Brady's bonus has absolutely nothing to do with him starting the Bills game although he will. All he needs is to take one snap even if it's the last snap of the game. Brady will start and play the first half and if they have a nice lead you will see Jimmy after 1 or 2 second half possessions.

Vince needs about half the D snaps to reach his 1.7 million bonus and the Pats will be watching that and pull him shortly after that is achived.

Is the 15 mil bonus part of the original extension? I thought he got the whole $33 when he signed two years ago.

Is the 15 mil bonus part of the original extension? I thought he got the whole $33 when he signed two years ago.

Yes bonuses 8 million next year and 7 million the year after. It's back loaded like most NFL contracts plus Brady is pretty easy in comparison to some other top QB's.

I've never really considered their rivalry all that.

Neither have won a SB since 2006. It's almost been 10 years now.

What happened to the Colts/Patriots rivalry before Manning and Brady? They were once divisional opponents. I am sure they had some entertaining games playing one another twice a season before the golden boys came into the picture.

As for this rivalry, it died years ago since most these games are always blow outs. The last really entertaining game between the two came in 2009, which I am pretty sure the Colts won after a big comeback.

I've never really considered their rivalry all that.

Neither have won a SB since 2006. It's almost been 10 years now.

What happened to the Colts/Patriots rivalry before Manning and Brady? They were once divisional opponents. I am sure they had some entertaining games playing one another twice a season before the golden boys came into the picture.

As for this rivalry, it died years ago since most these games are always blow outs. The last really entertaining game between the two came in 2009, which I am pretty sure the Colts won after a big comeback.

When has a rivalry been based on the number of rings? Of course, Brady and Manning combined have won 4 rings and appeared in 8 Super Bowls which is the best mark of any rivalry in the history of the sport.

Colts/Pats was not a rivalry before Brady and Manning. Both teams were the doormats of their division in the 80's and most of the 90's. Their games did not have much significance until Bledsoe/Manning/Brady arrived.

Just sayin....

Hope you realise, it was a tongue in cheek comment to the context not a slight but thank you for just saying  :thmup:

Sorry 15 next year then 8 followed 7 in the final year of the contract.

How can you Pat fans not even know what his contract Is ? Isn't it simply if he's still on the roster after the Buffalo game , his whole contract will be guaranteed ? The contract was 57 mill with 33 guaranteed. After Sunday , the whole contract will be guaranteed. His cap hits are around 14 mill for the remaining 3 years. The Pats would never trade him as they would take about an 18 million $ cap hit. Hope this helps...

How can you Pat fans not even know what his contract Is ? Isn't it simply if he's still on the roster after the Buffalo game , his whole contract will be guaranteed ? The contract was 57 mill with 33 guaranteed. After Sunday , the whole contract will be guaranteed. His cap hits are around 14 mill for the remaining 3 years. The Pats would never trade him as they would take about an 18 million $ cap hit. Hope this helps...

Yes. The $33 mil was paid up front two years ago but spread across the length of the extension. Brady will be playing for $7 mil in base salary next season with the cap hit being $13 mil and a dead cap hit of $18 mil if they trade him. He is not going anywhere.

You say that as if you personally know Revis and as if he's said that.  But he's never said that.

In reality Revis is on his 3rd team and he is not a company guy.  He will go to any team that gives him the money based on his actions and not speculation.

Getting #1 money can be misleading.  I think the odds are Revis will demand a contract in the ballpark of Richard Sherman's and Patrick Peterson's in the $14 mil a year, 4 to 5 year deal, with $47 to $50 mil guaranteed.  It only makes sense since he is a top 3 corner in the NFL.

With regards to Brady's bonus for next year, that's all based on if Brady starts against the Bills.  Now, I think Brady does play, but don't be surprised if the Pats sit him and start Jimmy G.  I think it's 60/40 in favor of Brady playing.

Revis had a chance to make more money this past off-season from the bottom feeders of the league. He specifically said he chose NE on basically a one year, fully guaranteed deal because he wanted to play for a contender with a chance at a ring. The scuttle was that he was tired of hearing Sherman yapping about his ring and wanted to get back on the national stage. Reports out of NE this season have him glowing about the Patriots, Bill and the fact that this team is the most talented secondary he has played with since his high school team. I believe the Pats will get him done and he will not be the highest paid CB either. It will be multiple years but not anywhere close to $16 mil a year. Probably somewhere between $12-14 with a big chunk guaranteed.

He's still better than most QB's by virtue of his brain, but the arm strength is just not reliable.

Stats can be very misleading. That being said I'd still take him over any QB not named Rodgers, Brady or Romo but he's fading fast. For him, he should be in the same ballpark or better than Rodgers or Brady but he's clearly not...I'd call that a pretty significant dropoff.

If you ask me who I want leading my team going in to this season I'd say Rodgers or Peyton...now it's Rodgers or Brady and Peyton isn't even a thought.

Still good enough to win it all with the Broncos, but there are better teams with better QBs out there so it will be tough for Denver.

Actually, someone posted a link to a story about Manning's mental mistakes in week 16.  The physical decline may not be the biggest issue.  Manning & Brady processed info at light speed and if that dips by even a little, an old QB with a "noodle arm" will fade at light speed.

Yes. The $33 mil was paid up front two years ago but spread across the length of the extension. Brady will be playing for $7 mil in base salary next season with the cap hit being $13 mil and a dead cap hit of $18 mil if they trade him. He is not going anywhere.

This is interesting: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12094227/tom-brady-restructures-contract-give-new-england-patriots-24-million-more-cash

Reported all wrong -- Brady's contract can't be adjusted to give the team $24m in extra cap space in 2015, and changing guarantee clauses doesn't affect cap space, and he's certainly not giving any money back -- but it sets the stage for future adjustments to his contract, which may already have happened but just aren't being reported yet.

This is interesting: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12094227/tom-brady-restructures-contract-give-new-england-patriots-24-million-more-cash

Reported all wrong -- Brady's contract can't be adjusted to give the team $24m in extra cap space in 2015, and changing guarantee clauses doesn't affect cap space, and he's certainly not giving any money back -- but it sets the stage for future adjustments to his contract, which may already have happened but just aren't being reported yet.

This is mere idle speculation.  Do we need to refrain from criticism because you are "Superman"?  Or do we need to hold back because you are a moderator?

Posted · Hidden by Superman, December 29, 2014 - decided not to respond
Hidden by Superman, December 29, 2014 - decided not to respond

This is mere idle speculation.  Do we need to refrain from criticism because you are "Superman"?  Or do we need to hold back because you are a moderator?

I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, if you have a problem with moderation, either report it or PM a moderator. 

I am totally confused. What did he restructure? The guarantee for skill? I didn't think anything could change with is current deal as long as he was on the roster the final game of the season which he was. How did he free up $24 this year? That is a mega load of money for one season.

I am totally confused. What did he restructure? The guarantee for skill? I didn't think anything could change with is current deal as long as he was on the roster the final game of the season which he was. How did he free up $24 this year? That is a mega load of money for one season.

He didn't. It's not possible. 

All that's being reported at this point is that the $24m in salary for 2015-17 which was guaranteed for skill and injury is now only guaranteed for injury. Technically, that means the Pats can release Brady in the offseason for performance.

He didn't. It's not possible. 

All that's being reported at this point is that the $24m in salary for 2015-17 which was guaranteed for skill and injury is now only guaranteed for injury. Technically, that means the Pats can release Brady in the offseason for performance.

This what boston.com has, http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2014/12/29/report-brady-restructures-contract-free-million/bEp9oMQkG9mFJd6hB3NNtJ/story.html?p1=menu_sports_main_hp#comments

I am not sure I get the whole escrow thing but basically the 24 mil is now not in escrow so the Pats can spend it but Brady's cap hits remain the same.

Does this mean if they release for performance, there is no cap hit?

This what boston.com has, http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2014/12/29/report-brady-restructures-contract-free-million/bEp9oMQkG9mFJd6hB3NNtJ/story.html?p1=menu_sports_main_hp#comments

I am not sure I get the whole escrow thing but basically the 24 mil is now not in escrow so the Pats can spend it but Brady's cap hits remain the same.

Does this mean if they release for performance, there is no cap hit?

No. It reduces the cap penalty. There's now only $18m of dead money if they were to release him (which obviously isn't going to happen), instead of $42m of dead money. They could split that dead money up, $6m in 2015, and the other $12m in 2016. Again, he's not getting cut.

The CBA requires fully guaranteed money to be placed in escrow. That way a team can't decide not to pay a player, then drag it out in court, etc., etc. If there's a breach in contract, the team gets the money back.

So, the Pats get back the $24m from escrow, for cashflow purposes apparently. Has no impact on the cap unless they release him. Maybe it's not a precursor to a new extension, but it's also not doing anything for their cap.

Here is the best explanation from Mike Reiss, http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4775277/explaining-the-significance-of-tom-bradys-contract-restructure?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I think I get it now. Pats have more cash flow to get creative with deals for Revis, McCourtey, etc. They also gave Brady one mil more  per year in base salary each of the three years ... this is obviously a mega trust deal on both sides. Brady is not getting released and now the Pats have cash flow flexibility which should help them sign some key FA's this off-season ...

Love Reiss' last graph:

It's rare to see player and team working together like this. The restructuring reflects, from this viewpoint, a situation in which the team’s star player and management work together on a deal that can be viewed as mutually beneficial. A situation like this doesn’t happen unless there are a few important factors in play, specifically a star player who isn't holding out for every last dollar, trust between key principles, and an agent, Don Yee, who was at one time described by former Patriots executive Scott Pioli as one of the “most respectful and admirable people in the industry.” I see it as a situation that is especially rare in professional football, a result of both sides having an appreciation for a partnership that has been mostly beneficial for all involved in the last 15 years.

Yeah, that's a good explanation, along with additional information about the extra million/year for Brady.

Do you think he really plays for that amount in 2015? 8 mil? Have to think they are going to throw more his way. If he really does play for that after coming off an MVP caliber season he may be the anti-Kobe. lol.

Do you think he really plays for that amount in 2015? 8 mil? Have to think they are going to throw more his way. If he really does play for that after coming off an MVP caliber season he may be the anti-Kobe. lol.

We'll see. I always expected him to get a new extension prior to 2015. 

And yeah, that Kobe deal is ridiculous. Unfortunately for the Lakers, there's no restructuring in the NBA...

IMHO the rivalry is on life support now, just being kept alive by sportscasters wanting easy sound cuts.  Peyton is really starting to look his age and I'm thinking the surgery took more out of him than he likes to admit, I agree with earlier statements that this might be his last year even if they get a Lombardi...which doesn't look good.

Brady will be traded like stated earlier, he is like Manning in that there are a few miles left in the tank and is worth something but he might surprise everyone and retire first.