Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's a valid question.......

Deano1818

Looking at this team, I have different expectations

During the Manning years, my expectations were always sky high going into the playoffs

I felt that we had a better than even chance to get a W, and move forward in the playoffs

This year, I am setting my hopes at a very humble level

I will be watching the playoff game, hoping for a win, in my thread worn Jersey ......

I never give up, because it my team........

But....... I fear that the playoff level teams all see our gaping holes and exploit them

(Our amazing AFC North crown, not withstanding .....)

The hard truth, .......... We are just a little better than average........ Forget our record

Our team was embarrassed at Dallas........ Pants dropping, fart in church, embarrassed

So..... Your first game playoff expectation?

1) expect a win.

2) expect to lose

3) expect to lose, but have hope for a win

4) win it all

I hope we do well

Also

I hope we make some real strides this offseason

Hope for a win, but realistic about the team weaknesses. 

Deano, one thing I didn't like during the Manning years when we had the really good teams - The regular season was just something to take up time.  It was always - "Let's get this over with and see if we can win playoff games".

Sure, it was great having that exciting offense and the feeling that we could win just about every regular season game.  But it kind of put a damper on the season too, if you know what I mean.

I will pick #1         Expect to win.

I still think we have enough good players to be able to keep it close.

And in a close game... We have Andrew Luck, who can find a way to win.

Pagano needs to get the team to at least keep the score close. Then we have a chance in any game, against any team.

We are not eliminated yet. But the embarrassing 1st quarter blowouts must stop for us to have a chance.

Hope for a win, expect a loss (due to all the injuries lately), and realize its a game. Entertainment. The mortgage is due, the light bill still comes. Still gotta go to work the next morning either way

some on here will take that as I mean losing is OK. To me, its not- in the Real World. When I was on the field I was as competitive as any and willed myself to victory. Andrew Luck is that way, so we have a fighter's chance, if he has any protection at all. But many on here seem to post as if Their Life is effected by what happens to a sports team on TV, more than what their family is doing in front of their eyes. That's just plain sick.....

Go Colts- just win. The board'll melt with perfectionists if one dropped ball makes us lose....

Looking at this team, I have different expectations

During the Manning years, my expectations were always sky high going into the playoffs

I felt that we had a better than even chance to get a W, and move forward in the playoffs

This year, I am setting my hopes at a very humble level

I will be watching the playoff game, hoping for a win, in my thread worn Jersey ......

I never give up, because it my team........

But....... I fear that the playoff level teams all see our gaping holes and exploit them

(Our amazing AFC North crown, not withstanding .....)

The hard truth, .......... We are just a little better than average........ Forget our record

Our team was embarrassed at Dallas........ Pants dropping, fart in church, embarrassed

So..... Your first game playoff expectation?

1) expect a win.

2) expect to lose

3) expect to lose, but have hope for a win

4) win it all

I hope we do well

Also

I hope we make some real strides this offseason

I expect this team to lose in the first round.

some on here will take that as I mean losing is OK. To me, its not- in the Real World. When I was on the field I was as competitive as any and willed myself to victory. Andrew Luck is that way, so we have a fighter's chance, if he has any protection at all. But many on here seem to post as if Their Life is effected by what happens to a sports team on TV, more than what their family is doing in front of their eyes. That's just plain sick.....

Go Colts- just win. The board'll melt with perfectionists if one dropped ball makes us lose....

I agree with you about the sickness. I love the Colts and root for them to win. But it's just entertainment to me nothing more nothing less. 

While the Dallas game was ugly, we were without Hilton, Cherilus, and Thornton.  Allen also had what could be, up until now, a career worst game.  It's not very likely that we have to go through all that again in the playoffs.  I expect a first round win, at the very least.  At the beginning of the year, I was expecting AFCCG.  To me, the AFC right now is New England, then everyone else.  We could end up in the AFCCG.  One game at a time

You guys must remember, things change from week to week!  Any team can win any given Sunday!  How many 6 seeds have won the SB in the last decade.  2 or 3 I think Look at the game last night.  Bengals beat the Broncos, same two teams we played this season.  Shut out Cincy at home and lost a hearkbreaker to Denver on the road.  Chiefs embarrassed the Pats earlier this season, and the Dolphins surprised them as well.  Jets even almost beat them recently, but the Pats squeaked it out.  There are many instances where the "normal" doesn't take place.

My point is anything can happen once the playoffs start.  We should all still have high expectations, as the players do.  This team is down (because of 1 loss) but certainly not out!  It wouldn't surprise me too much if Colts beat Pats in Foxboro in a couple weeks.  Very possible, could go either way.   "THAT IS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAME"!!

While the Dallas game was ugly, we were without Hilton, Cherilus, and Thornton.  Allen also had what could be, up until now, a career worst game.  It's not very likely that we have to go through all that again in the playoffs.  I expect a first round win, at the very least.  At the beginning of the year, I was expecting AFCCG.  To me, the AFC right now is New England, then everyone else.  We could end up in the AFCCG.  One game at a time

Dallas beat Seattle in Seattle earlier this season. That's a really good team we lost to. No way that excuses how they mopped the floor with us, but still, the Cowboys are serious. And they could still get a first round bye. If Seattle and Detroit lose, and the Cowboys win, they're the #1 seed in the NFC.

It's not like we got beat by the Raiders or something...

Dallas beat Seattle in Seattle earlier this season. That's a really good team we lost to. No way that excuses how they mopped the floor with us, but still, the Cowboys are serious. And they could still get a first round bye. If Seattle and Detroit lose, and the Cowboys win, they're the #1 seed in the NFC.

I agree.  That's arguably the best offensive line in the league, led by a very good QB.  They have a top 5 WR and the top running back in the league in terms of stats.  It's a very talented group of players. 

I agree.  That's arguably the best offensive line in the league, led by a very good QB.  They have a top 5 WR and the top running back in the league in terms of stats.  It's a very talented group of players. 

That's very true....and they've spent YEARS building this years squad (and suffered through years of mediocrity)...where as Colts are only in year 3 of a total player and coaching rebuild.

I get that ...   

I do....     BUT, when this team faces a QUALITY QB/Offense...   this D gets EXPOSED.     and not just a little..    A LOT.

And the staff just keeps trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.. .      ???????   I'm not the only one who is frustrated with this staff.

Reggie Wayne is DONE..  and we keep trotting him out there...    I could go on and on.. . 

but I will let RV do it for me...

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/dan-dakich-show/audio-demand/rick-venturi-vents-colts

This dude spotted this teams issues WEEKS ago... and they are still issues that are simply not being addressed. 

One thing I disagree with RV on is C...   This team's OL simply plays better when Ship is in the game.    It seems he just gets the line in the right "place" .. .   scheme, blocking assignments. .    

IDK ... but try something Pagono...        On O and D....    

NO...

In the off season this team has got to address rush OLB and OL...    RB would help..    They just have to.    Dallas was an average team and all of a sudden they are good...  why?  They have invested HEAVILY in the OL.      they can run now.    And it helps every phase of the game O and D.     Indy NEEDS to do the EXACT same thing.   

Do you think we have improved this year over last?

You guys must remember, things change from week to week! Any team can win any given Sunday! How many 6 seeds have won the SB in the last decade. 2 or 3 I think Look at the game last night. Bengals beat the Broncos, same two teams we played this season. Shut out Cincy at home and lost a hearkbreaker to Denver on the road. Chiefs embarrassed the Pats earlier this season, and the Dolphins surprised them as well. Jets even almost beat them recently, but the Pats squeaked it out. There are many instances where the "normal" doesn't take place.

My point is anything can happen once the playoffs start. We should all still have high expectations, as the players do. This team is down (because of 1 loss) but certainly not out! It wouldn't surprise me too much if Colts beat Pats in Foxboro in a couple weeks. Very possible, could go either way. "THAT IS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAME"!!

I get this.......

I have seen some very crazy stuff over the years..... But

I don't see how that happens this year.

I WANT to be excited.........

But if I am truly honest..... I feel like we are in for getting clubbed.

I was there for the 1 win teams...... This for some reason , is more embarrassing

I see folks on here who would complain about the dirt in the tailpipe of the Porsche that they were given.......

They would find fault in anything......

I truly am a glass half full sort of person....... But....... By Colts cup is near empty this year

Its not that we lost but the way in which we lost. Getting rolled like that once in a season, you can attribute it to a bad day in the NFL.  But three times in a season, 6 or 7 over the past two seasons suggests that there is something fundamentally missing (enough talent, coaching...something).

I get that ...

I do.... BUT, when this team faces a QUALITY QB/Offense... this D gets EXPOSED. and not just a little.. A LOT.

And the staff just keeps trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.. . ??????? I'm not the only one who is frustrated with this staff.

Reggie Wayne is DONE.. and we keep trotting him out there... I could go on and on.. .

but I will let RV do it for me...

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/dan-dakich-show/audio-demand/rick-venturi-vents-colts

This dude spotted this teams issues WEEKS ago... and they are still issues that are simply not being addressed.

One thing I disagree with RV on is C... This team's OL simply plays better when Ship is in the game. It seems he just gets the line in the right "place" .. . scheme, blocking assignments. .

IDK ... but try something Pagono... On O and D....

I'm not sure why I should listen to Venturi complain again about Moncrief and Herron not playing, when they have been playing plenty. He has some good insights, but the team is what it is.

Also, last year we got beat by bad to average teams. At least this year's losses are to good teams. No one likes the blowouts, but a loss is a loss.

Grigson and Pagano -- neither of them are going anywhere -- have a lot of work to do. They did a good job dragging this team out of the basement, but now we need to become a power in the AFC. And a lot has to change, but it won't happen between now and the playoffs.

Its not that we lost but the way in which we lost. Getting rolled like that once in a season, you can attribute it to a bad day in the NFL.  But three times in a season, 6 or 7 over the past two seasons suggests that there is something fundamentally missing (enough talent, coaching...something).

Preparation?

Herron is not mentioned and I think DM is mentions for a few seconds....

A lot more going on (or wrong) than the OBVIOUS... .   

;)

I'm not sure why I should listen to Venturi complain again about Moncrief and Herron not playing, when they have been playing plenty. He has some good insights, but the team is what it is.

Also, last year we got beat by bad to average teams. At least this year's losses are to good teams. No one likes the blowouts, but a loss is a loss.

Grigson and Pagano -- neither of them are going anywhere -- have a lot of work to do. They did a good job dragging this team out of the basement, but now we need to become a power in the AFC. And a lot has to change, but it won't happen between now and the playoffs.

I think fans could handle the "we are only in year 3 of a rebuild" logic a bit more if it didn't seem like we aren't moving forward. Its not the lose to Dallas that bugs me its the way we lost. It just seems like every year we have 3 or 4 games where we just get beat down like a high school team. Its not just to "elite" teams, i don't think anybody would call the chargers or the cardinals of last year "elite" or even the steelers of this year..Personally i just don't think you can have serious Superbowl aspersions until that is cleaned up. You can get away with one, everybody has that game, even the pats( i.e. kc game) but you have to come out of those on fire, like your going kill anyone who even thinks of doing that again, but it seems we consistently come out  of those beat downs with a ho-hum attitude, and until that changes we are a perennial 1 and done, 2 if were lucky playoff team. Its attitude and fire, and be it the players, the coaches, the front office, or even the trainers and equipment people, I as a fan just don't see that frothing at the mouth, spitting cures, its our trophy and we are going to go take attitude that you do from the pats and seahawks of the world. Even  teams that won it with bad seeding before had that attitude, be it Ray Lewis, the whole Giants team, or Bob the Man Sanders, we just don't have it.

The Colts get the loser of Cincy and Pitt.  Both teams have been up and down but Cincy seems to be getting its legs back underneath them now that they have gone with Jeremy Hill at RB.  He changes the dynamics of that offense.  The defense is still suspect but they are tough with a lead because they can rush the passer.

I just don't think we matchup with the Steelers very well.  The OL is solid and that always gives us problems - can't stop the run and can't get to Big Ben.  When they go spread there are WRs running free in the secondary.  Their defense will just confuse our OL with the stunts, zone blitzes, etc.

I hope we see Cincy, I still think that they can be had.  But my expectation is very low that we will win either matchup.  I expect a one-and-done and lots of soul searching this off season.

People tend to stereotype the "December Cowboys".  I have said it pretty much all year, the Cowboys are a great football team this year.  TBH I think they are the best team in the NFC, but that's my opinion.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys beat the Seahawks again.  Detroit is good I just don't feel they have the "IT" factor.  I think the NFC is alot more exciting, and it will boil down to who is playing the best in January.  Detriot, Green Bay, Dallas, and Seattle are going to be in a heck of a battle...

Do you think we have improved this year over last?

in a few places, yes I do....run is improved (save for the Pats game), offense as a whole has (just in a slump the last few games, secondary overall has. Now there are still some glaring flaws like pass rush and covering tight ends, etc. As well as the right side of the O line.  Also beating the teams you're supposed to beat. Third down defense as a whole is much improved.

Unrealistic to go from completely gutting a team to consistent Super Bowl contender in less than 3 years. Plus this team is still really young, save for Adam V and Hasselbeck, Mathis and Redding.

The team is better IMO but still has some glaring weaknesses, which means they're not quite there yet. But another good draft and FA period should help even more.

in a few places, yes I do....run is improved (save for the Pats game), offense as a whole has (just in a slump the last few games, secondary overall has. Now there are still some glaring flaws like pass rush and covering tight ends, etc. As well as the right side of the O line.  Also beating the teams you're supposed to beat. Third down defense as a whole is much improved.

Unrealistic to go from completely gutting a team to consistent Super Bowl contender in less than 3 years. Plus this team is still really young, save for Adam V and Hasselbeck, Mathis and Redding.

The team is better IMO but still has some glaring weaknesses, which means they're not quite there yet. But another good draft and FA period should help even more.

I think we're beating the teams we're supposed to beat. The issue is with the better teams on the schedule, unlike last season when we were excellent against the best teams in the league, for the most part.

I think we're beating the teams we're supposed to beat. The issue is with the better teams on the schedule, unlike last season when we were excellent against the best teams in the league, for the most part.

Oh i agree. I think the teams the Colts have lost to have done one thing....been able to negate the Colts blitzing since they don't have a dominant pass rusher to contend with. This allowed receivers and TE's (who they can't cover well anyways) to get open.

I full expect to see a slaughter.....with the opponent doing it, us being on the receiving end.  I wish I could hope for more, but the fact remains that we are 0-5 against playoff caliber teams (1 and 5, we did beat the Bengals)  and were outright embarrassed in three of those games.  I'll cheer for them none the less, always will....but the reality of the situation is not pretty.

We did beat the Bengals, when they were without their best player.  However, make no mistake, the Bengals that played and beat the Broncos yesterday would absolutely trash the Colts we saw on Sunday.  No doubt about it.

We "could" end up in the AFCCG, but even that seems very unlikely based off of the Colts play since the bye-week.

What I actually fear most is getting there and being absolutely demolished by the Pats...... again........

We "could" end up in the AFCCG, but even that seems very unlikely based off of the Colts play since the bye-week.

What I actually fear most is getting there and being absolutely demolished by the Pats...... again........

If we get there, we deserve to be there.  If the Pats demolish us, then they deserve to go to the Super Bowl.  It is what it is

If we get there, we deserve to be there. If the Pats demolish us, then they deserve to go to the Super Bowl. It is what it is

I don't understand people being so afraid of losing. Especially to a team like the Pats. Great team, great measuring stick, great motivation to get better... And whatever your flaws are, Belichick will do his best to identify and then expose them to the world.

Edit: And there's always a chance, however small, that you find a way to get a win.

I don't understand people being so afraid of losing. Especially to a team like the Pats. Great team, great measuring stick, great motivation to get better... And whatever your flaws are, Belichick will do his best to identify and then expose them to the world.

Edit: And there's always a chance, however small, that you find a way to get a win.

I agree.  As a competitor, you want to beat everyone at their best.  I don't want to beat an injured team that barely snuck into the playoffs and have everyone say "yeah, the Colts won, but....".  To be the best, you have to beat the best.  If the Pats are the best, then they deserve to win the AFC.  If we want to be the best in the AFC, we have to beat the best in the AFC.  I can understand not wanting to get blown out in a playoff game with everyone watching, but it's pro sports.  If you want people to stop thinking the Pats are the best in the AFC, then go out and beat them.

And like you said, it gives you a great measuring stick.  What do the Pats have that we don't?  What makes them the best that we are lacking?  Belichick exposes your flaws, so now you have an even better idea of where to improve your team.

Any given Sunday.  The Pats are certainly beatable, just like every other team in the league.  There's always a chance to beat them