Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do so many have a problem with the fake punt?

RockThatBlue

I have NO issue with the call...      but surprise, surprise...     they did not execute it. 

What I DO have an issue with is down 28 - 0 at midfield Pags decides to punt on 4th and 3 I think?   Really?  

I just don't understand this staff.   Another thing about the punt is that now we have shown it ...   2 games prior to the playoffs...

Good luck getting a D to fall asleep now.  

IDK...   this team is unraveling.     Drops, penalties, turnovers ... .    They really need to dig deep and tighten it up or they are in for a long off season.

if McDonald catches it nobody is complaining

It was a great call by either the coaches or players. Dewey was wide frickin open and dropped it. I keep seeing many people complain about it. And I don't understand why.

Absolutely NIA.....that was a strong call and Dallas was totally fooled...

......You cant be afraid to call something like that..when its open

I think people have a problem with it because u don't just call a play just to run around on the field. The call was horrible whether it worked or not. Fisher called a lot of horrible plays that somehow worked this year. Just because it happened to work doesn't change the fact it's horrible. I understand we are locked in the playoffs and we are practicing plays but u practice with purpose. "Hello, u play to win the game. You don't just play just to play". Risking injuries for no reason. If u don't practice with purpose what good is it for what ur preparing for? With that being said, u make the game competitive within the blueprints of ur goal and find the time to do it. It looks like they were a bunch of kids that found out something new and couldn't wait to use it. How mature is that? ...and ur an experienced coaching staff. People keep trying to save them. A real staff would wait the opportunity. Even if it means waiting for the next game. Neither 1 matters. Why rush? Just immature. Accomplished nothing that game. Just running around. If we lose but we see our team out there putting plays together or building on something no one would be upset. It's the fact that real fans that been around know Colts football. And this isn't it at all. Even in a bad season, we still atleast look like we know how to play. Not anymore.

Is it smart to run straight across an expressway or just run across a street with busy traffic? Prob not. You'll get hit. If u do decide to do some stupid crap like that and successfully make it across, was it a smart call? Then ask, is it smart to do it again? Matter fact, how many times is it smart to do that? Even better, when is it smart to do that? Ok. That's prob why so many people don't like it....I mean, for anybody to NOT like the fact that fans of their own team are upset with fake punts at the beginning of a game on ur own 19 is totally absurd. They aren't the ones that need their heads checked. That's for sure. They have a reason to be upset. Imagine paying for tickets for that game? Just threw it away within like 5 mins. Crazy. The whole dmn game.

I think people have a problem with it because u don't just call a play just to run around on the field. The call was horrible whether it worked or not. Fisher called a lot of horrible plays that somehow worked this year. Just because it happened to work doesn't change the fact it's horrible. I understand we are locked in the playoffs and we are practicing plays but u practice with purpose. "Hello, u play to win the game. You don't just play just to play". Risking injuries for no reason. If u don't practice with purpose what good is it for what ur preparing for? With that being said, u make the game competitive within the blueprints of ur goal and find the time to do it. It looks like they were a bunch of kids that found out something new and couldn't wait to use it. How mature is that? ...and ur an experienced coaching staff. People keep trying to save them. A real staff would wait the opportunity. Even if it means waiting for the next game. Neither 1 matters. Why rush? Just immature. Accomplished nothing that game. Just running around. If we lose but we see our team out there putting plays together or building on something no one would be upset. It's the fact that real fans that been around know Colts football. And this isn't it at all. Even in a bad season, we still atleast look like we know how to play. Not anymore.

Were you drinking when wrote this, just curious?

McAfee is having a pro bowl season.  He has more than earned the chance to audible to a throw when a gunner is left uncovered.  Love his guts and bravado, even though this call took neither.  Botched coverage should be taken advantage of every time if you are playing with confidence.  At least our punter has his confidence intact. 

It was a great play call and great execution just ended with a choke. If he catches it and makes one guy miss it could have been a top 10 play of the year. I like that call every time in that situation. Just catch it!! Coaches can only put players in a situation to succeed. Thay cant make the play for them. Only problem with putting a player in a position to make a play is that also puts them in position to fail. Thats what a coach is supposed to do tho. Players have to make the plays.

I am. I would.

Why? 

Look at how horrid our offense was the rest of the day, look how inept. I bet we end up 'for real' punting it only a few minutes later IF he catches it.

Effectively a meaningless game, playoffs around the corner, and they just gave away a great trump card for NO FRICKIN REASON. 

Keep that ____ in your back pocket, chuck. Save it for a situation/game that actually matters.

I am. I would.

Why?

Look at how horrid our offense was the rest of the day, look how inept. I bet we end up 'for real' punting it only a few minutes later IF he catches it.

Effectively a meaningless game, playoffs around the corner, and they just gave away a great trump card for NO FRICKIN REASON.

Keep that ____ in your back pocket, chuck. Save it for a situation/game that actually matters.

Honestly I could be wrong but I don't think anybody was in front of him. Closest guy was about two steps behind him. Could have been a TD or at least a very long run.

Honestly I could be wrong but I don't think anybody was in front of him. Closest guy was about two steps behind him. Could have been a TD or at least a very long run.

He had a man closing on him, he wouldn't have gone far. As soon as the ball was snapped, a defender came over to him (a DB I think). If it was a situation late in the game that gave us our only chance to win the game, I'd be fine with it. However, given the circumstance, I view that whole thing as a waste because it accomplished nothing but exposing a wrinkle that other teams can review and prep for in the upcoming postseason. 

I like the guts of the call, but the timing? No. Not well done at all. 

You got that right. The coaches get ripped on for being predictable and when the do something outside the norm they still get ripped? I think it was a great call even though it didn't work. I say that because no one was looking for it. Boomstick made a perfect pass and it was dropped. Had the Colts had a different receiver out there the Cowboys would have had it covered IMO.

I have NO issue with the call...      but surprise, surprise...     they did not execute it. 

What I DO have an issue with is down 28 - 0 at midfield Pags decides to punt on 4th and 3 I think?   Really?  

I just don't understand this staff.   Another thing about the punt is that now we have shown it ...   2 games prior to the playoffs...

Good luck getting a D to fall asleep now.  

IDK...   this team is unraveling.     Drops, penalties, turnovers ... .    They really need to dig deep and tighten it up or they are in for a long off season.

If you keep in mind that the Colts are not as good as you want them to be, it's no problem. We are still in year3 of a 5 year plan. Had the Colts not been over achieving it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

I am. I would.

Why?

I find it ridiculous to determine that the offense couldn't have done something with the ball around midfield, especially after they had only run three plays to that point. You only say that with the benefit of hindsight, because the offense hadn't even really tried to do anything yet.

It was a great call by either the coaches or players. Dewey was wide frickin open and dropped it. I keep seeing many people complain about it. And I don't understand why.

It was a awesome call unfortunately he tried to run before securing the ball . Had it worked it could have turned the game around which it did only in a bad way .

Complaining is something that many are very good at because thats all they do .

If you keep in mind that the Colts are not as good as you want them to be, it's no problem. We are still in year3 of a 5 year plan. Had the Colts not been over achieving it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Great post  Most here expect instant success IMO we are a couple of players away O-line is still a weakness that has to be fixed .

if you watch the play you see mcafee make the audible. clearly they saw something on tape and gave pat the go ahead to make the call. Dewey dropped it. it sucks but it happens he wasn't the only dropping passes that's for sure

My point: They "saw something on the field" but they did not see that something in the context of the game. It is good that players have the ability to adapt to *game* conditions, that is important. This is a specific example of my complaint that the Colts over-rely on tactics, and are very weak in strategy.

IMO, games are often won or lost before the players take the field. Wrong attitude, lack of preparation, lack of focus, weak strategy, poor tactics -- all lead to poor performance and poor execution (maybe even dropped passes). While football is a team sport, and teams win or lose as a team, it is coaching that conditions attitude, preparation, focus, strategy and tactics. Otherwise, a professional team will look a lot like sand-lot football with a bunch of very talented individuals.