Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Exactly What Is The Job Of Jim Caldwell

dn4192

His job is to get lifted up by his players after the team he coaches wins the SuperBowl.

If it appears he is not managing the team in that direction then he needs to be fired.

I would say taking over a sucessful team and going 14-2, 10-6 and now 0-12 is not moving in that direction. :coltshelmet:

Most here feel Jim Caldwell is a horrible head coach. Exactly what is the job of a HC on the pro level?

the duties vary from coach to coach..ie some call the plays etc.

However the basic is to coach players. ie: teach them the proper techniques. This is done in training camp and to some extent during practices between games.

On game day the coach makes the lineup and all the major decisions. timeouts,challenges,4th down, etc.

He also makes in game adjustments

If you watch Belichick for instance he's not just standing there the whole game but either taking notes, conferring with the QB and defensive leaders, the other coaches,upstairs to what they're seeing etc.

The coach can't see as much from the sidelines so must rely on the leaders on the field what they are seeing so he can adjust.

Most here feel Jim Caldwell is a horrible head coach. Exactly what is the job of a HC on the pro level?

I can tell you what they are not.

1) take over a descent program I.E. Wake stay there 8 years average 3 wins a year, wrecked program.

2) Inherit, not earn an nfl powerhouse job and repeat what he accomplished at Wake, total regression and destruction of said powerhouse. darn I FEEL FOR IT!! IT IS LIKE A VORTEX.

lmao, surely you can't be serious. I dare someone to bite on lure! REDICULOUS POST.

I am, there are those here who continue to slam him. So I ask, what are the responsibilites of a HC, because I wonder how many here actually know all that is involved and how the duties of the other coaches relate to what the HC does.

I am, there are those here who continue to slam him. So I ask, what are the responsibilites of a HC, because I wonder how many here actually know all that is involved and how the duties of the other coaches relate to what the HC does.

If you go to a restaurant and are served HORRIBLE food 12 weeks in a row you don't need to know what is going on in the kitchen to realize that the chef sucks...

If you go to a restaurant and are served HORRIBLE food 12 weeks in a row you don't need to know what is going on in the kitchen to realize that the chef sucks...

Not if said cook who performed well before is say lacking the ingrediants that he had access to in the past, I would talk with the owner find out when they will be getting in better supplies and try back then. Even Bobby Flay can't cook with bad ingrediants...

Not if said cook who performed well before is say lacking the ingrediants that he had access to in the past, I would talk with the owner find out when they will be getting in better supplies and try back then. Even Bobby Flay can't cook with bad ingrediants...

Can, too. Anybody can cook with good food.

Jim, quit trying to make excuses, you weren't a good cook (head coach) before you came to Indy and you road Tony's shirt tail for your first year and had Manning bail you out the next now it's all you.

It's to say "do what we do" and "gotta play a little bit sharper" at press conferences.

Clapping at inappropriate times, calling time outs when the other team is running a two minute drill, and to never under any circumstances consider altering the game plan to account for missing personnel also seem to be a big part of the job.

Not knowing what's going on with the franchise and constantly getting undermined by your owner and general manager are key.

And when all that is done, stare blankly making your fan base wonder if your headset is even plugged in.

I think the better question is: "What does Jim actuay do???" anybody know? i mean besides just showing up to work every day.

He shows up to work? You sure about that? Have you ever been inside the facility? I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

That's probably why Saturday held that "players only meeting," because no one else was in the building!

It's to say "do what we do" and "gotta play a little bit sharper" at press conferences.

Clapping at inappropriate times, calling time outs when the other team is running a two minute drill, and to never under any circumstances consider altering the game plan to account for missing personnel also seem to be a big part of the job.

Not knowing what's going on with the franchise and constantly getting undermined by your owner and general manager are key.

And when all that is done, stare blankly making your fan base wonder if your headset is even plugged in.

that's a little harsh, but funny nonetheless :D

Jim Caldwell is not a good coach but I don't give him a lot of the blame for this year. Polian deserves more of the blame. Caldwell was brought in to not crash the Peyton Manning led car. When Peyton Manning isn't here, Caldwell can't even keep the car on the road.

Agree completely, Polian put together this team and it's his philisophy that has prevented this team from being successful without Manning. Caldwell's expectations were exactly what you said, keep the current path and don't derail it. The decisions Caldwell is allowed, challenges and timeouts, have been poor. He has made no adjustments, but after hearing Polian I wonder if he is even allowed to change the teams style to adjust to losing Manning.

greatest post ever!