Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Get Ready For Pey-Luck, According To Hub

oldunclemark

Many of you know who Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly is:

When he was asked about the Colts QB situation on AM-670 in Chicago yesterday..

..He stopped the caller's question and said...

"Let me fast-forward you five months"

One: The Colts WILL pick up Manning's $28 million dollar option...and he will be with the team next year.....and Two: The Colts WILL draft Andrew Luck...

...."I can guarantee you that"

I dont know his sources....but he has a few....

I thought it was interesting.....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Colts want to keep Peyton and draft Luck they can do it, nobody is going to pay 18# like the contract he has now, and if we draft Luck with the 1# pick we pay a premium to do that as well, so I guess it's up to the front office. And peyton's health, that's really the biggest thing. Everyone is talking about this like it's a sure thing he'll be able to go next season at full strength.

It doesn't make the most sense, it just makes happy the people who see Rodgers instead of Luck as our draft pick.

If we are switching up defensive coaches and schemes next year, coupled with the massive amount of key free agent contracts looming, we have far greater priorities.

People are just looking at the great team Green Bay had before and after Rodgers and assuming the transition is that easy. Well, we don't have a good team (apparently), so it does us no good to rebuild our back up QB situation when that pick could be traded to make us a better all around team.

It doesn't make the most sense, it just makes happy the people who see Rodgers instead of Luck as our draft pick.

If we are switching up defensive coaches and schemes next year, coupled with the massive amount of key free agent contracts looming, we have far greater priorities.

People are just looking at the great team Green Bay had before and after Rodgers and assuming the transition is that easy. Well, we don't have a good team (apparently), so it does us no good to rebuild our back up QB situation when that pick could be traded to make us a better all around team.

But as we see in this league, build a great team all you want, unless you have someone behind center who can lead that team and be productive...nothing else matters. Look at chicago this year, they were rolling and probably headed to the playoffs and now no QB and no hope. Look at Philly, went out got all this talent yet their QB can't stay healthy and play and they have 4 wins. You get your QB and then build around him.

But as we see in this league, build a great team all you want, unless you have someone behind center who can lead that team and be productive...nothing else matters. Look at chicago this year, they were rolling and probably headed to the playoffs and now no QB and no hope. Look at Philly, went out got all this talent yet their QB can't stay healthy and play and they have 4 wins. You get your QB and then build around him.

True..Phily found out that Vince Young is not Michael Vick

..and up here we're still trying to figure out excatly what Caleb Hanie is...

Completely agree. The QB is what makes the show go. Look at the Steelers in the mid 90's to early 2000's. They had a great defense that got them to the playoffs and even the SB one year but they couldn't ever finish the job because of the QB position. Then when they got Rothlisberger they finally (as much as I hate the Steelers) started to win championships.

Completely agree. The QB is what makes the show go. Look at the Steelers in the mid 90's to early 2000's. They had a great defense that got them to the playoffs and even the SB one year but they couldn't ever finish the job because of the QB position. Then when they got Rothlisberger they finally (as much as I hate the Steelers) started to win championships.

ben didn't really do much at all to win the sbs that first year. he got carried almost every game because of that defense. i will say that now they win with their defense and also because of ben, but that defense has been top-notch for many many years.

Bears should go after Bulger or try to buy out Warner's contract from Arizona.

Mcnabb in Chicago & Mike Martz's offense in mid season? No way. The guy they have would be better than anyone they could bring in outside of someone with experience in Martz's system.

Manning & Luck on the same team is a waste of resources.

If Peyton was say in his late 20's or early 30's, 100% healthy and had a good number of years left I would agree, but we are looking at senior citizen (football wise) with a very serious health issue with very few seasons left. It is better to replace that type of player to soon then to late.

Bears should go after Bulger or try to buy out Warner's contract from Arizona.

Mcnabb in Chicago & Mike Martz's offense in mid season? No way. The guy they have would be better than anyone they could bring in outside of someone with experience in Martz's system.

Manning and Luck on the same team is the way its going to be....

..and then in 2012 we wont suffer the same fate that the Bears, Phily and Houston are.....

ben didn't really do much at all to win the sbs that first year. he got carried almost every game because of that defense. i will say that now they win with their defense and also because of ben, but that defense has been top-notch for many many years.

He still made the throws when he had to and played some pretty good games in the playoffs minus the SB for that year.

If Peyton was say in his late 20's or early 30's, 100% healthy and had a good number of years left I would agree, but we are looking at senior citizen (football wise) with a very serious health issue with very few seasons left. It is better to replace that type of player to soon then to late.

That's all well and fine. He might not ever throw another NFL pass. This whole discussion might be moot, but having them both on the roster is not the answer in my opinion.

Manning and Luck on the same team is the way its going to be....

..and then in 2012 we wont suffer the same fate that the Bears, Phily and Houston are.....

Time will tell..

How many wins do the 49ers have this year? Im for the trade but that doesnt mean i want to grab an untalented QB. It just means that i want the colts to build a great team then select the QB next year. Like how about RG3, or Barkley both of which are looking like they will return this year. Or Aaron Murray who is a great sophomore QB. Colts still grab a first round talent at QB with a much better overall team. We may miss out on the next "Peyton Manning", but I can like with that if they grab the next Rodgers, Brees, Rivers etc... When it comes to philly, its not their offense that is losing their games its the horrible Lbs, and Dbs on the team that cant stop anybody. There has only been 1 Qb that can win with no talent around him. And he is on our team, lets use that to our advantage.

It is tricky and I am glad I don't have to decide. I would love nothing more than Manning to ride off into the sunset with another Super Bowl championship, i am not naive enough to think its likely at this point. Its not exactly a talent laden roster, especially on defense and teams like the Packers, Saints, Pats, etc aren't exactly going down either.

I think drafting Luck is a no brainier, then it comes down to if you keep Manning or not assuming he is healthy. What if someone is willing to trade you a top 5 pick for him? What if you could get Andrew Luck and Alshon Jeffrey?

The Colts don't owe Peyton anything, they have already paid him more money than any other player in NFL history has received. He was handsomely compensated for his time here and he does not owe the Colts anything either. He has earned his money thus far.

The thing people don't realize or don't seem to care about is that Mannings contract isn't for 2-3 years its for 5 more. Luck isn't sitting for 5 years and I wouldn't want him to, he probably wouldn't be sitting for 3 either. What is the difference between him leaving now or in 3 years when he has 2 year remaining and wants to keep playing? What do you do then? Trade him when his value is significantly lower? Cut him and get nothing?

Manning may and I stress may be the present but he is not the future and when Irsay has a billion dollar business to protect he does the best thing for his business, even if its crushing to us fans to see Manning either retired or in another uniform.

It is tricky and I am glad I don't have to decide. I would love nothing more than Manning to ride off into the sunset with another Super Bowl championship, i am not naive enough to think its likely at this point. Its not exactly a talent laden roster, especially on defense and teams like the Packers, Saints, Pats, etc aren't exactly going down either.

I think drafting Luck is a no brainier, then it comes down to if you keep Manning or not assuming he is healthy. What if someone is willing to trade you a top 5 pick for him? What if you could get Andrew Luck and Alshon Jeffrey?

The Colts don't owe Peyton anything, they have already paid him more money than any other player in NFL history has received. He was handsomely compensated for his time here and he does not owe the Colts anything either. He has earned his money thus far.

The thing people don't realize or don't seem to care about is that Mannings contract isn't for 2-3 years its for 5 more. Luck isn't sitting for 5 years and I wouldn't want him to, he probably wouldn't be sitting for 3 either. What is the difference between him leaving now or in 3 years when he has 2 year remaining and wants to keep playing? What do you do then? Trade him when his value is significantly lower? Cut him and get nothing?

Manning may and I stress may be the present but he is not the future and when Irsay has a billion dollar business to protect he does the best thing for his business, even if its crushing to us fans to see Manning either retired or in another uniform.

If the Colts take Luck and lets say Manning comes back is good to go and has a good/great season next year we could then trade either one of them in the following offseason and still get a good return....

If the Colts take Luck and lets say Manning comes back is good to go and has a good/great season next year we could then trade either one of them in the following offseason and still get a good return....

Manning isn't going to be traded. If they pick up the option, then it will be even harder to trade him due to the salary cap ramifications that it would cause. If after 2 years, the new TV deals kick in and give the cap a huge increase, then we might be able to afford the 19 million trading him would create against the cap at that point, but that's still 19 million dollars we will not be using. Luck's trade value after sitting for two years won't be nearly has high as it is entering the draft.

agreed

are some other good QB's ,, even if not luck,,Barkley, Griffin the 3rd is awesome athlete on crap team

trade the pick , get more parts to the puzzle, pick a qb with another pick, many showed they can start this year, but u need a team around them, Manning is 1 of a kind, Luck without help , the extra puzzle pieces i mentioned, will not be a Manning, & unless we get a few bad years for good picks later dont expect anything dramatic with him siting behind peyton & with peyton dont expect many a low pick to build from, Rodgers behind Bret while packers didnt play well allowed many a great early pick, Mathews, Raji to name a few,

Build a team for a hopefully healthy peyton while we have a chance to stockpile picks

--------------------------------------

New Orleans gave up 2 (#1) 2 (#3) 4th,5th,6th,7th rd picks for Ricky Williams

& thats why we should of paid Faulk, and got all those picks instead of taking James, We would of had an even more stellar team to start if used those extra picks right, lets do it right now

Manning isn't going to be traded. If they pick up the option, then it will be even harder to trade him due to the salary cap ramifications that it would cause. If after 2 years, the new TV deals kick in and give the cap a huge increase, then we might be able to afford the 19 million trading him would create against the cap at that point, but that's still 19 million dollars we will not be using. Luck's trade value after sitting for two years won't be nearly has high as it is entering the draft.

luck's trade value should go up after two years. he will have learned qb from the goat and would have spent considerable time on learning how to read defenses.

luck's trade value should go up after two years. he will have learned qb from the goat and would have spent considerable time on learning how to read defenses.

WIthout playing I disagree. If Green Bay would have decided to keep Favre and trade an untested Rodgers, they would have been extremely lucky to get a 1st round pick out of him.

That is not true, the term "defense wins championships" is the truest term you can ever think of when it comes to football.... you should take a look at the colts 06 playoff season and you will see how true that is.... almost doesnt count in football but the colts could have won that pats game if they had a defense there's no doubt about it... you can have an average QB and a really good defense and the sky is the limit.

The colts right now need to put feelings aside and do whats right for this team and that is fixing it up not spending tons of money at the QB position when you have a defense thats in shambles with no depth what so ever.

I dont get that type of thinking at all, look at curtis painter he's been learning from peyton for more than 2 seasons and they are really good friends and look how he played... ppl are really over estimating the whole "student QB" thing, it doesnt work like that at all.. especially with peyton who likes things his way on offense and has no time to tutor ppl while trying to win games.

That is not true, the term "defense wins championships" is the truest term you can ever think of when it comes to football.... you should take a look at the colts 06 playoff season and you will see how true that is.... almost doesnt count in football but the colts could have won that pats game if they had a defense there's no doubt about it... you can have an average QB and a really good defense and the sky is the limit.

The colts right now need to put feelings aside and do whats right for this team and that is fixing it up not spending tons of money at the QB position when you have a defense thats in shambles with no depth what so ever.

Smitto, It's not a defense that wins championships, just as much as it's not just the quarterback that wins championships. It takes a great TEAM to win. You can say for example, that the Ravens recently have had great defenses and a decent quarterback, but no Super Bowl victories. Same goes for the Jets and last years Niners. It's just a cliche that "defense wins Super Bowls." The Saints won because they were an offensive power house. Also, the year that the Colts won, we were an offensive team and the defense finally started playing well, making us a more complete TEAM.

Smitto, It's not a defense that wins championships, just as much as it's not just the quarterback that wins championships. It takes a great TEAM to win. You can say for example, that the Ravens recently have had great defenses and a decent quarterback, but no Super Bowl victories. Same goes for the Jets and last years Niners. It's just a cliche that "defense wins Super Bowls." The Saints won because they were an offensive power house. Also, the year that the Colts won, we were an offensive team and the defense finally started playing well, making us a more complete TEAM.

No defense does win championships. turnovers count as defense. ur saints examplebis not correct because during the regular and postseason they forced a ton if key turnovers.

No defense does win championships. turnovers count as defense. ur saints examplebis not correct because during the regular and postseason they forced a ton if key turnovers.

They were also a very dominant offense. Dominant offense+ Great Defense=Great TEAM. Thank you for making my point for me.

I dont get that type of thinking at all, look at curtis painter he's been learning from peyton for more than 2 seasons and they are really good friends and look how he played... ppl are really over estimating the whole "student QB" thing, it doesnt work like that at all.. especially with peyton who likes things his way on offense and has no time to tutor ppl while trying to win games.

luck is better than painter already. luck also studies the game, painter was never doing that. im not saying peyton wouldbmentir luck but he would learn how to be an nfl qb. as a backup qb you watch the starter how he prepares, how he studies, and the back up can actually point out things to the starter. a backup will watch a specific defender and relay to the starter if he is always biting on a certain play. a-rod learned a ton just by watching farve, and that is the main reason he didnt struggle much when he became the starter.

But you can do both, get your QB and work on the defense....

If you can't play even the greatest of all time can teach you.

They were also a very dominant offense. Dominant offense+ Great Defense=Great TEAM. Thank you for making my point for me.

and the colts were a great offense in 04 and the pats in 07 and 10. i didnt say u couldnt win the sb with a great o. but u always need a great d come playoff time. And if u had a great o and great d then u should win obviously.

Exactly Smitto. Peyton is here to play games and win. Hes not going to spend some of his extra time to teach the guy whos going to take over for him. It just doesnt work out that way. And btw brett favre did NOTHING with aaron rodgers... So that "example" is out...

Luck doesn't need Peyont to "teach" him everyday, Luck will learn by watching, listening and just being around Peyton.

Were the Giants a "great" team when they beat NE? Or did they just play a great game and get lucky? What about the year the Colts won it, I don't think anyone would say that overall they were a great team. They got hot in the playoffs, had a few lucky breaks go their way and won it. Great teams don't always win the SB

and the colts were a great offense in 04 and the pats in 07 and 10. i didnt say u couldnt win the sb with a great o. but u always need a great d come playoff time. And if u had a great o and great d then u should win obviously.

I agree with you there. My point is that it takes more than just great D. The saying "Defense wins championships" is a cliche and overused and in my opinion, wrong. It usually takes a complete team to win.