Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper Says Manning Has Played His Last Down With The Colts

deedub75

If "Rogers isn't Luck or anywhere close" , how on earth can you pass him up?

Lol ok im not gonna downplay Rogers skills but you do see the type of WR sets they go in right... somone is gonna get open with so many receivers... saying that i was not talking about skills i was talking about his hype and how much ppl were saying he is the sure thing and is gonna be a hall of famer one day... that alone has a chance of showing up if luck doesnt want to be on the colts for the simple fact that he knows he can go to pretty much any team and start right away with most of his pay guaranteed and a LUMP SUM in his early years of playing.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres plenty of us Colt fans left to cheer for the team.

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out. Or.....

Don't twist an ankle jumping off the "wagon".

Also, we'll see you back in a year or two when Luck has the team back to glory.

I want Manning back as much as anyone, but to assume he's gonna be 100% soon if ever is as stupid as not having a qualified back-up behind him. I haven't seen or heard really anything which leads me to believe Manning will ever play again or won't. If he still can't throw the ball in February, I don't know how you go on blind faith and leverage the next ten years or so success on assuming he'll be back for a couple more years. If Manning isn't ready in February, either he takes a paycut, signs an incentive-laiden contract, or he'll have to go.

This isn't the Indianapolis Mannings any more than it was the Baltimore Unitases. Things change.

Whatever is gonna happen will happen regardless of what we think or hope.

Personally, I'm hoping we can have Manning for a couple more and groom Luck for the future. If things work out, we shouldn't skip a beat and have similar success for the next ten or fifteen years.

Hey, I can hope, can't I?

Actually taking a stand FOR the team my making SUPREME threat that the right decision FOR the TEAM needs to be made, OR ELSE ! !

Thing is Luck has nothing to say about it. He is employee and the Colts are the employer, and in any job you do what your boss tells you weather you like it or not. I mean I guess he could go play in Canada or the Arena League but outside of that he has no option but to do what he is told to do.

Luck has all of the say in the matter.

He has a year of eligibility left and does not need to participate in the draft this year.

He could stay at Stanford and begin working on a master's degree.

He has a year of eligibility left and does not need to participate in the draft this year.

He could I guess even though he has already declared himself for the draft. He could sit out a year and then get drafted next year by a bad team...

So you are a Peyton Manning fan not a Colt fan?

I have been a Manning fan since Archie was at Ole Miss. I was and am a Saints fan, but i wanted the Colts to win the SB because that's the team Peyton plays for. This year I have no interest in the Colts other than what's going to happen to Peyton. I was born and raised in TN as a Vol fan. My only connection to Indy is that I passed through once. There are a lot of people around the country who have cheered the Colts on during the Manning-era, not only because of his ability, but also because of his character. If Peyton goes, many people like me will no longer care what the Colts do. Someone posted that when (a big if) Luck brings the Colts back to glory, everyone will jump back on the bandwagon. Maybe the pre-Peyton Colts fans will, but there are thousands who could not care less what the Colts do without PM, regardless of what happens with Luck.

I have been a Manning fan since Archie was at Ole Miss. I was and am a Saints fan, but i wanted the Colts to win the SB because that's the team Peyton plays for. This year I have no interest in the Colts other than what's going to happen to Peyton. I was born and raised in TN as a Vol fan. My only connection to Indy is that I passed through once. There are a lot of people around the country who have cheered the Colts on during the Manning-era, not only because of his ability, but also because of his character. If Peyton goes, many people like me will no longer care what the Colts do. Someone posted that when (a big if) Luck brings the Colts back to glory, everyone will jump back on the bandwagon. Maybe the pre-Peyton Colts fans will, but there are thousands who could not care less what the Colts do without PM, regardless of what happens with Luck.

Actually taking a stand FOR the team my making SUPREME threat that the right decision FOR the TEAM needs to be made, OR ELSE ! !

Or Else what? You don't renew your season tickets and some one else buys them? Exactly how does that harm the Colts?

actually he did take a pay cut. and no one could have known that the second surgery would have been unsuccessful. Colts knew he had a surgery and signed him. also players are always paid for what they did before. Just look at pujohs.

How is it a "pay cut" if he's owed $28 million next year? He has never made that much before.

His contract also made him the highest paid player in NFL history.

Pay cut.

That's laughable.

How is it a "pay cut" if he's owed $28 million next year? He has never made that much before.

His contract also made him the highest paid player in NFL history.

Pay cut.

That's laughable.

He's making the same as brady. Why didn't brady take a lesser contract? He was the highest paid player before manning got his contract. now they're tied.

I believe once he declares for the NFL draft, he loses the ability to play college ball (as he would no longer be an "amatuer" athlete.)

He's making the same as brady. Why didn't brady take a lesser contract? He was the highest paid player before manning got his contract. now they're tied.

What?

If you take a "pay cut" that means you make less than you made before. Peyton Manning got a "pay raise" because he makes more than he did before. The fact that he possibly could have gotten more money had he held out for every loose penny doesn't mean he took a pay cut.

I believe once he declares for the NFL draft, he loses the ability to play college ball (as he would no longer be an "amatuer" athlete.)

He has to sign a document forgoing his remaining eligibility. He hasn't done so yet, but will shortly after the bowl game. Which would allow him to seek endorsement deals. Nike vs Adidas vs. Underarmour, EA sports, Subway, or what have you.

He has announced his intentions to leave school, but he hasn't made it official yet.

There is one thing about Peyton I have not heard discussed. He is immersed in the Colts' offensive system, which is different from any other in the league. I do not believe he would be able to just go and be plugged into any system and pick up where he left off. I think he would have to unlearn the Colts' system and give up his role of calling his own plays, etc. He may not want to do that, because it would be a struggle for awhile.

What?

If you take a "pay cut" that means you make less than you made before. Peyton Manning got a "pay raise" because he makes more than he did before. The fact that he possibly could have gotten more money had he held out for every loose penny doesn't mean he took a pay cut.

The contract peyton was offered by irsay was more than the one peyton decided to take. that is a pay cut.

There is one thing about Peyton I have not heard discussed. He is immersed in the Colts' offensive system, which is different from any other in the league. I do not believe he would be able to just go and be plugged into any system and pick up where he left off. I think he would have to unlearn the Colts' system and give up his role of calling his own plays, etc. He may not want to do that, because it would be a struggle for awhile.

its not really the colts system anymore, its peytons. If peyton went somewhere he would just use his system and teach the other players.

Put him in any offense he's going to put in the work with the receivers to make sure everyone is on the same page. You could send him to a WCO in Philly, Seattle, etc, and he would be fine. Put him in the Martz system, he would be fine. Put him in a balanced attack, and he would be fine.

I would like to see a WCO offense installed here, so that if over the next few years(if he's able to return), if he's forced to miss some time we have a system in place that most anyone can step in and run. We don't have that now. If you give him a good coach, they will get together and likely form their own hybrid version that takes the best from each system.

What makes people think Luck won't be another Matt Leinart?

Probably the way they play. Leinart was never considered a home run prospect like Luck is. There were a lot of red flags with him, which is part of the reason why he dropped during the draft. Questions about arm strength, leadership, mobility, toughness, etc.

I'm skeptical about Luck primarily because of the hype, but sometimes the Hype Machine gets it right. I was skeptical before LeBron James went to the NBA, and he's turned out to be as good as advertised. Skeptical about Adrian Peterson, because of his injury history, and he's missed three games in five years. Fact is, when you watch Luck play, and you analyze his mechanics, and you look at his production, it all lines up. He's really freakin good, and he has skills and traits that historically translate to the pros.

Go back if you can and look at the game-winning touchdown against USC a few weeks ago. They ran a play that directed all the defensive attention to the right side of the field, and then designed a receiver to break free late on the left side. Nothing special about the play. But Luck's footwork was perfect. His fundamentals were dead on. He held the defense to the right, he kept two hands on the ball, he didn't rush, and then he found his guy on the left side. It was a pro-style play, and of all things, it reminded me of a play the Patriots use in the red zone. Not only that, but Luck looked like Tom Brady with the way he used his eyes and his feet to make the play.

No one is a can't-miss prospect, but Luck has the tools and he has the look of a good pro quarterback. The measurables will be there when the workouts come around. He'll nail the interviews. And I'm relatively certain he'll be a good NFL quarterback. Take that for what it's worth, which admittedly isn't much. But there's nothing Matt Leinart-esque about Andrew Luck.

Tom Moore just became a full time employee of the Jets. Just sayin...

Well, he better care whether or not ole BIG buys tickets.

Why should Mel Kiper care about whether bandwagon fans leave or not? He doesn't he have any financial interest in the Colts. He's just another talking head spouting off at the mouth giving his opinion/prediction like they all do. :blah: Albeit with no basis in fact but when was the last time that stopped anyone. More media pot stirring.

Brace yourselves everybody, the offseason isn't even here yet and already this topic is being discussed ad nauseum. Speculation is rampant. It will only get worse as April approaches.

This is a very good point Mouth of the South. I have also stated similiar in the past. Peyton is a cerebral dude who gets the edge through obsessive preparation and knowing exactly what he is doing out there. One of my favorite quotes of his is when he says, "Fear is what you feel when you don't know what the heck you are doing." His committment to eliminate this fear and to make the most of his unique attributes is what drives him to be great. He has invested what it takes to be this guy with the Colts. It will not be so easy to pick up and start over with a new franchise, players and system that has not been custom built for him.

Why should Mel Kiper care about whether bandwagon fans leave or not? He doesn't he have any financial interest in the Colts. He's just another talking head spouting off at the mouth giving his opinion/prediction like they all do. :blah: Albeit with no basis in fact but when was the last time that stopped anyone. More media pot stirring.

Brace yourselves everybody, the offseason isn't even here yet and already this topic is being discussed ad nauseum. Speculation is rampant. It will only get worse as April approaches.

Bandwagon fan????

Dang...you know what...now I could see Peyton possibly being able to do some things (if healthy) and re-united with Tom Moore. That would be something. But as a Colts fan, I am hoping it doesn't come to that.

It would be nice to see him play for an aggressive head coach for once. SOmeone that doesn't hold him back.

You admitted to DN to being a Peyton Manning fan; not a Colts fan. You also said that If Peyton is traded then you'd stop buying season tickets. That sounds bandwagonish to me. No disrespect. If I somehow misinterpreted your position then my apologies.

You almost got it.

Point was that whether or not ole BIG buys tickets will have just as much impact on what Poian and Irsay do as what is said on Sporstcenter.

Fact of the matter is, If Caldwell is still coach in February when we get our bill for next year's season tickets, we may sell part of them, buy some Bucs tickets, and tailgate in the Florida sunshine for a month or so. Only reason to do the Buc's is because we have a home in Pinellas Park near the Raymond James Stadium.

OBTW, this goes to the core of DN's credibility.

every team with a great qb has their qb making a lot of money. So any team that wanted to win would sign manning. also almost any team manning went to would be a contender. manning made this colts team into a contender all these years

I wasnt asking what team wouldnt want Peyton. Come on every team would take him that doesnt have a franchise QB. But I was saying what team would Manning want to go too. No where that is in the market for a QB. He wont go to NY, that is is brothers turf.

I wasnt asking what team wouldnt want Peyton. Come on every team would take him that doesnt have a franchise QB. But I was saying what team would Manning want to go too. No where that is in the market for a QB. He wont go to NY, that is is brothers turf.

New York is big enough for both of them. Madison Avenue would love that.

Like i said in one of the other threads, below scenario would be win win for both colts and manning.

For Colts - Get Andrew luck, trade Manning, get 1st round picks and build a team around Luck. Frist 2 yrs will be yucky but will be set for next 10 ( assuming Luck is good ).

Manning - Go to Jets, re-join Tom Moore with 2 SB winning WRs and a great defense. Win few SBs and happily retire.

As much as I want Peyton to be successful it would sicken me to see him in a Jets uniform. Anything but that!

Again it doesn't really matter what Manning wants here. He has no power other than to pull a Carson Palmer. He can ask for a trade or to be released but the Colts don't have to do it if they don't want too. Also if they want to trade him they are going to make the best deal for them and frankly Manning would have to live with where he got delt. Not unlike how Farve wanted to go to the Vikings and the Packers delt him to the Jets.

I don't think this really matters though because Manning's contract how it is set up now makes him pretty much untradeable and I don't think the Colts would release a health Peyton Manning and get nothing in return for him.

Irsay was on the record saying last week he wants Manning and Luck here. He owns the team so unless Manning isn't healthy or Luck just flat out refuses to play here which I've read one he is open to being a back up and that th new CBA makes it much harder for first round picks to hold out, the signs point to both Manning and Luck being here next year.