Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper Says Manning Has Played His Last Down With The Colts

deedub75

Well, the Colts have an even bigger decision to make, and they better weigh it carefully.

If Manning goes, I go. No more season tickets for me. So there.

Betcha Kiper never considered that in the equation, now did he?

Kiper is just expressing his opinion and could care less who buys tickets.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no reason to draft Luck if Manning is going to be healthy and cleared to play next year. If the arm strength wont be an issue, he is the guy for sure. He has everything on this team for offense and a new couple of offensive lineman playing better will even be more improvement for him. Now, you get those extra draft picks for the trade of the first pick and you solve the oline guard weakness or the RT spot. You pick up a solid DT with the first or second pick depending on the difference in talent of DT, OG or LT/RT.Then pick up the other position with your next highest pick and draft the rest depending on BAP (hoping for a nice SS).

Again, nobody knows how things will go down until they determine if Manning can play again at the NFL level and that should be able to be determined before the draft and I believe that Manning will move the date back on the payment option IF the team guarantees they don't draft the QB with the #1 pick this year. This team has enough promise to improve by at least 12 games next season with a healthy Manning and a stronger team with the high draft picks acquired form the Luck trade. Next year, you get your next QB who will sit for a couple years but be good enough to step in and be better than Painter was with 3 years of the system under his belt.

Am I missing something here? You say Kiper is a dunce but then agree with his essential premise that Luck and Manning on the same team is not a good solution.

No I disagree with his saying that Manning should be cut or traded if the draft Luck. The ideal situation would be a healthy Manning for the next 4 or 5 years and trade the #1 pick to fill some gaping holes on this team. I think the wrong decision would be to trade or release a healthy Manning even if they draft Luck.

Like i said in one of the other threads, below scenario would be win win for both colts and manning.

For Colts - Get Andrew luck, trade Manning, get 1st round picks and build a team around Luck. Frist 2 yrs will be yucky but will be set for next 10 ( assuming Luck is good ).

Manning - Go to Jets, re-join Tom Moore with 2 SB winning WRs and a great defense. Win few SBs and happily retire.

Like i said in one of the other threads, below scenario would be win win for both colts and manning.

For Colts - Get Andrew luck, trade Manning, get 1st round picks and build a team around Luck. Frist 2 yrs will be yucky but will be set for next 10 ( assuming Luck is good ).

Manning - Go to Jets, re-join Tom Moore with 2 SB winning WRs and a great defense. Win few SBs and happily retire.

What if Luck is an average QB in this league and we gave up possibly the GOAT Qb's to get him? The only way I would think the team wins on this is if they get 3 #1's out of Manning and I just don't see that happening. Heck, BP gave away Faulk for a 2nd and 5th round pick in his PRIME. Be better off with a healthy Manning for the next 3-4 years than with a hopeful star in Luck IMHO.

And yes BigUgly, it is quite comical :)

What if Luck is an average QB in this league and we gave up possibly the GOAT Qb's to get him? The only way I would think the team wins on this is if they get 3 #1's out of Manning and I just don't see that happening. Heck, BP gave away Faulk for a 2nd and 5th round pick in his PRIME. Be better off with a healthy Manning for the next 3-4 years than with a hopeful star in Luck IMHO.

Dont you think Manning deserves more SBs?. Better off for Colts if he stays here. But for him with this coaching and FO, he has to play beyond his limits every single game to win.

There is risk in any player you draft. There is risk that if Peyton plays that one blind hit doesn't end his career on the spot. This is a game filled with risk.

Dont you think Manning deserves more SBs?. Better off for Colts if he stays here. But for him with this coaching and FO, he has to play beyond his limits every single game to win.

Deserves? Not at all, he is well paid, he deserves nothing else.

Deserves? Not at all, he is well paid, he deserves nothing else.

Players like Manning play to win. If he is all about money, he wouldnt have taken a pay cut.

He single handedly changed the landscape of Indianapolis. 20 ish million dollars is nothing for what he has done to this franchise and the city.

We all are witnesses how it looks like this year.

Again we can talk all we want, its purely his call end of the day.

Personally, i would want him win more SBs and Colts has to go through consequences for the bad decisions from FO.

why is it so difficult for people to believe that luck will sit for a couple years

I don't think teams use the overall #1 to sit the bench for more than 1 year (if that long). All teams have immediate needs and expect the first man taken to have an impact. The exception could be if the overall #1 is not making progress or stinks like the QB from LSU that Oakland drafted (i can't remember his name right now).

I live in Mississippi and work in Tennessee. I happen to be a life long Colt fan, but there is a whole lot of bandwagon Colt's and Giant's fans down here just because of the Manning family. I am sure it makes Indy fans mad, but it should be expected. I am actually glad. There are so many Cowboy fans down here, that I get excited when I see a truck with a Colt flag on it.

I agree Manning might be better off on another team, he is at the point of his career where his chances of winning another championship are running out. However this team gives him alot of play calling control he might not have on another team. Butwhat teams can afford him? If Manning leaves I hope the Polians are out the door. It's time for a new front office and to completely rebuild this team in a different direction. I would like to see a more defensive and run oriented team. Even if Luck isn't as great as we think he is, it would give this team a better chance to win. I will still be a Colts fan no matter what, losing Manning will hurt but it doesn't change that I am a fan.

Players like Manning play to win. If he is all about money, he wouldnt have taken a pay cut.

He single handedly changed the landscape of Indianapolis. 20 ish million dollars is nothing for what he has done to this franchise and the city.

We all are witnesses how it looks like this year.

Again we can talk all we want, its purely his call end of the day.

Personally, i would want him win more SBs and Colts has to go through consequences for the bad decisions from FO.

Peyton did not take a pay cut. In fact, he took a huge salary despite the fact that HE knew that his neck wasn't right.

Peyton did not take a pay cut. In fact, he took a huge salary despite the fact that HE knew that his neck wasn't right.

actually he did take a pay cut. and no one could have known that the second surgery would have been unsuccessful. Colts knew he had a surgery and signed him. also players are always paid for what they did before. Just look at pujohs.

why is it so difficult for people to believe that luck will sit for a couple years

Because this is the real world and when you have an opportunity to be a star why would you accept sitting back behind another person and let him shine? this isnt fairy land... peytons dad isnt peyton but he's right, seriously if you were luck and the pats had the number one pick would you wanna sit behind brady for two years?

Because this is the real world and when you have an opportunity to be a star why would you accept sitting back behind another person and let him shine? this isnt fairy land... peytons dad isnt peyton but he's right, seriously if you were luck and the pats had the number one pick would you wanna sit behind brady for two years?

Thing is Luck has nothing to say about it. He is employee and the Colts are the employer, and in any job you do what your boss tells you weather you like it or not. I mean I guess he could go play in Canada or the Arena League but outside of that he has no option but to do what he is told to do.

hes getting paid to sit on his butt and learn from one of the greatest ever.

Thing is Luck has nothing to say about it. He is employee and the Colts are the employer, and in any job you do what your boss tells you weather you like it or not. I mean I guess he could go play in Canada or the Arena League but outside of that he has no option but to do what he is told to do.

Dude what are you talking about? luck has all the say in this... if luck says he doesnt wanna play for the colts and hes not gonna be a backup why would the colts hold him and waste their number one draft pick? they would quickly trade him.. so yea luck is not just the employee he is basically the man with the plan and he's either gonna have his trade or the colts lose big time on the draft with their number one pick not signing with them and forcing a trade.

hes getting paid to sit on his butt and learn from one of the greatest ever.

I think you underestimate the guys lust for playing, no player or starter who has tons of skills would want to sit on the bench instead of going out there and showing what he can do... rodgers is not luck not even close. with the hype that luck has been getting his head has to be big a lil bit, if not he is one calm and collected kid.

In my opinion there is no way you let him walk, I believe that Peyton may want out. This is a mess here for now,and I am sure he wants to go some place where he can win big in his last few years, but there is no way you just let him walk. best of luck to Manning with whatever he chooses.

And where is he going to go that he can win big at? Washington, no. Miami, no. Tennessee, no. Who else is in the market for a high priced QB. All the real contenders already have there QB.

Mel Kiper is a college football guy. He is hyping up the college draft. This is the one time of the year his opinion matters. Kiper misses on draft picks all the time. He is the last person anyone should listen to about anything. He told everyone that Hughes was a perfect fit for Indy. He is wrong alot.

I'm sorry I agree with the other guy, if you jump ship because your favorite player is not on the team you are a bandwagon fan from the beginning. That is ridiculous.

It is going to be interesting what the team decides, but its a good thing the fans don't make personnel decisions. Granted the fans have emotions invested, not billions like Irsay does.

I do not think we are just Manning away from being a Super Bowl contender. Too many pieces have left, too many people are free agents, and we have far too many holes. The last two years people have gotten older, slower, and more banged up. Not to mention many of the teams have gotten better over those 2 yrs. 49ers, Packers, Saints, Pats, Bills, Jets, Texans, Titans, etc are all at best equal and most better than they were back then.

Imo it boils down to if you have a healthy Manning do you keep him and hope to finish 1st in the division and make a couple runs probably falling short or do you build for the future now.

Either way imo the Colts have no choice to draft Luck unless someone blows them away with an offer and puts them in a position to take Barkley. Barkley would be less of an issue sitting for 2-3 yrs. But lets not forget Mannings contract is for 5 more years, not 2-3. Luck is not sitting 5 years and neither is Barkley imo.

I'm confused with all the people that say that our team needs a lot more than just Manning to be a contender and THEN say we have to draft Luck. If we need more than just a great QB to be a contender, then we would be better off trading Luck whether Manning is healthy or not. We need to build a younger, more talented, faster TEAM. Not just restock a QB. The idea that we could cut Manning is ludicrous to me, if he's healthy.

I know there's the whole argument that Luck is the future. But if we restock a more talented team by trading the pick we get a good team plus Manning for a few (hopefully 3-4) more years and at least one more ring NOW.

If we trade the pick and restock a good team, and Manning goes down or doesn't recover we're only one good draft pick away from another SB instead of 2-4 years. We can still potentially get a good QB in the draft even if we trade Luck.

IMHO there are a LOT of benefits to trading that #1 pick for a King's ransom. And only a few scenarios where taking Luck and keeping Manning works out.

And where is he going to go that he can win big at? Washington, no. Miami, no. Tennessee, no. Who else is in the market for a high priced QB. All the real contenders already have there QB.

every team with a great qb has their qb making a lot of money. So any team that wanted to win would sign manning. also almost any team manning went to would be a contender. manning made this colts team into a contender all these years

I'm getting tired of this band waggon fan stuff, everybody is a fan of a team for a certain reason. Peyton Manning is probably the only reason i became a fan of the Colts becuase i lived in Tennessee as a kid and followed Peyton from Tennessee to the Colts. That doesn't mean when Peyton leaves i will stop rooting for the Colts but i will still always root for Peyton to win it all. Maybe at 1st when i became a Colts fan it was all about Peyton but as time went on i became a fan of the whole team. If you really think about the way some of you guys describe a "band waggon fan" about 90% of all the fans around the world are band waggon fans.

Luck, even if he ends up worthy of the #1 overall in hindsight, will probably never be as good at Manning at 80% of his best. And that's not really a knock on Luck but testament to the rare abilities that Manning possesses.

Unless Manning is done (and we should know well before the draft) we need to trade down for value, draft one of the "less nfl ready" prospects to sit on the bench for 3 or 4 years, and use the value acquired in the trade to put together another championship run.

Well, the Colts have an even bigger decision to make, and they better weigh it carefully.

If Manning goes, I go. No more season tickets for me. So there.

Betcha Kiper never considered that in the equation, now did he?

Theres plenty of us Colt fans left to cheer for the team.

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out. Or.....

Don't twist an ankle jumping off the "wagon".

Also, we'll see you back in a year or two when Luck has the team back to glory.

I want Manning back as much as anyone, but to assume he's gonna be 100% soon if ever is as stupid as not having a qualified back-up behind him. I haven't seen or heard really anything which leads me to believe Manning will ever play again or won't. If he still can't throw the ball in February, I don't know how you go on blind faith and leverage the next ten years or so success on assuming he'll be back for a couple more years. If Manning isn't ready in February, either he takes a paycut, signs an incentive-laiden contract, or he'll have to go.

This isn't the Indianapolis Mannings any more than it was the Baltimore Unitases. Things change.

Whatever is gonna happen will happen regardless of what we think or hope.

Personally, I'm hoping we can have Manning for a couple more and groom Luck for the future. If things work out, we shouldn't skip a beat and have similar success for the next ten or fifteen years.

Hey, I can hope, can't I?

I think you underestimate the guys lust for playing, no player or starter who has tons of skills would want to sit on the bench instead of going out there and showing what he can do... rodgers is not luck not even close. with the hype that luck has been getting his head has to be big a lil bit, if not he is one calm and collected kid.

If "Rogers isn't Luck or anywhere close" , how on earth can you pass him up?

Because he's SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER good apparently even though THIS year he hasn't looked much better than Barkley, RGIII, or some others, lol. I think it's just because most people think to seem he's the most ready NFL QB there has been in awhile and they might be right. I agree with you though, I don't think he's a crybaby and will sit for 2 years, 3 MAX.....