Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hayden to be cut

John Waylon

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the reason:

"Hayden was in the third year of a $43 million dollar contract. Since signing that deal, Hayden has appeared in only twenty regular season games. A neck injury landed him on the Injured Reserve list last season. He was to count roughly $9 million against Indy's cap in 2011."

Stampede blue

If he was going to cost us 9 million, this was a no brainer.

I don't understand this. His salary's 6.1M according to Rotoworld (my earlier post). How would he hit our cap with 9M?

Here is the reason:

"Hayden was in the third year of a $43 million dollar contract. Since signing that deal, Hayden has appeared in only twenty regular season games. A neck injury landed him on the Injured Reserve list last season. He was to count roughly $9 million against Indy's cap in 2011."

Stampede blue

If he was going to cost us 9 million, this was a no brainer.

It's going to still hurt us cap wise, just not this year.

I would be happy to see Marlin Jackson back for cheap.

Agreed. I think we can bring him in for the minimum. He has no logical basis to ask for more than that with all his injuries.

Jerraud Powers said he looked really good when they worked out in the off season.

Bring him in for cheap, and if he has trouble playing CB, put him back at safety when Bethea and Bullitt need a breather.

Make it a one year deal to see if it will work or not...

I am surprised since we do not save as much money as originally was anticipated before last week, but the Colts have great depth at corner. Jerrod Powers could be a future star if he is able to stay healthy. He is special. Justin Tryon may have been our best Dee bee last year after Antoine Bethea. He has great agility. The next two guys in the stable who have the potential to get it done are rookie Chris Rucker and last year's 3rd round draft choice Kevin Thomas. Both these two guys have the ability to be future starters. They both have good size, and had great College careers. The wild card in the mix is Cornelius Brown. Brown looked very strong in the last couple games and may have what it takes to stick.....despite the popular belief that we are thin at safety, I like the potential of some of the young guys we have. It is hard to know at this stage which ones will stick, but Newton, Caldwell, Alfalava, and Vaughn in particular all could be in the mix for major roles behind Bethea and Bullitt. You gotta love this time of year!!!

your drunk. We have no depth at CB. We now need a CB it is no longer a want.

I don't know whether to be excited or.....?

This may be a move to free money for Manning.

Maybe some of the posters here have been right all along about the Colts seeking a veteran replacement?

Maybe we will * up an UDFA?

Wow....Don't even friggin tell me we cut lose a talent like that for Manning's deal.

Well with Peyton taking a pay cut, the release of Diem, and now the Release of Hayden i'm hoping we can sign a few free agents now. I would love to sign Cromarti just so he's not with an opponent so he can intercept Manning like he always seems to do.

We could be looking to bring Marlon Jackson back into the fold for CHEAP. He has NO leverage to ask for big money, and he was working out with our CB's during the lockout... Jerraud Powers said he looks really good.

hmmm..if powers isnt just talkin, i like what u got here..it would be worth a shot..he was our best corner 4 sure n woulda got haydens deal had he not gotten injured

also the eagles moved him to safety, as expected..wonder if his injuries have slowed him to that point permanently..

Hidden

marlin jackson?you do realize he has torn both knees up in the last 2 years.

yeah we all do captain obvious..thats why we are saying he will be cheap n absolutely no risk if it doesnt work out

im also thinkin brent grimes from atl is our best option in fa if colts dont go w cro

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora

Colts inform CB Kelvin Hayden he will be released

http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora

This only saves 1 million of cap this year, alot later, Read in few places as have to pay him this tears bonus and the rest of bonus was to get in future also goes against cap, we do save entire cap on Diem 5.4 millin

Next, we have the news of Kelvin Hayden getting cut. He was scheduled to count $9.1 mill against this year's cap. His salary was $6.1 mill and his bonus $2.7. From what I know (and that's very little), the bonus counts against cap. Hayden was owed an additional $5.4 mill in bonus money going forward. That money, coupled with this year's bonus, counts against 2011 Colts cap if Hayden is cut.

This means the Colts will carry $8.1 in 'dead cap' for Hayden this year. Thus, Indy frees up $1 mill in cap space for 2011. So, now were down to about $6 mill under the cap.

And then there is Ryan Diem. He's owed $5.4 million in 2011. Cutting him takes $5.4 mill straight off the books. There's no bonus. It's just straight, base salary. If he gets dumped (and I think he will), the Colts are now roughly $11 mill under the cap.

My link

This only saves 1 million of cap this year, alot later, Read in few places as have to pay him this tears bonus and the rest of bonus was to get in future also goes against cap, we do save entire cap on Diem 5.4 millin

Next, we have the news of Kelvin Hayden getting cut. He was scheduled to count $9.1 mill against this year's cap. His salary was $6.1 mill and his bonus $2.7. From what I know (and that's very little), the bonus counts against cap. Hayden was owed an additional $5.4 mill in bonus money going forward. That money, coupled with this year's bonus, counts against 2011 Colts cap if Hayden is cut.

This means the Colts will carry $8.1 in 'dead cap' for Hayden this year. Thus, Indy frees up $1 mill in cap space for 2011. So, now were down to about $6 mill under the cap.

And then there is Ryan Diem. He's owed $5.4 million in 2011. Cutting him takes $5.4 mill straight off the books. There's no bonus. It's just straight, base salary. If he gets dumped (and I think he will), the Colts are now roughly $11 mill under the cap.

My link

Yeah, that's what doesn't make sense to me. Why release Hayden if it doesn't save that much cap space?

They must be really confident in the group they have now, or plan on bringing someone else in.

yeah we all do captain obvious..thats why we are saying he will be cheap n absolutely no risk if it doesnt work out

im also thinkin brent grimes from atl is our best option in fa if colts dont go w cro

ok,my point is getting someone cheap and someone who can actually play are two different things.

At the risk of reading to much into this, I think- and really hope - this might indicate that the Coyer is definately moving in the way of a more Man/Zone coverage as opposed to the big cushion zone 2 scheme.

Hayden had a lot of trouble with the switch in systems early on last year but seemed to adjust before he got hurt. I don't think they felt that he would be as successful in the new D. Both the last 2 corners that we drafted, Thomas and Rucker, are supposed to be very good in Man coverage.

Given all that, maybe Assente Samuel makes sense. He is a horrible tackler, but a dynamite coverage guy.

ok,my point is getting someone cheap and someone who can actually play are two different things.

if jackson is healthy, we all understand thats a big is, he can definitely play, no doubt

what do u guys think about this grimes guy..11 picks his first 2 full yrs of playing time..and it seems like i remember seeing him on sportscenter a lot even tho hes never taken 1 back 2 the house

At the risk of reading to much into this, I think- and really hope - this might indicate that the Coyer is definately moving in the way of a more Man/Zone coverage as opposed to the big cushion zone 2 scheme.

Hayden had a lot of trouble with the switch in systems early on last year but seemed to adjust before he got hurt. I don't think they felt that he would be as successful in the new D. Both the last 2 corners that we drafted, Thomas and Rucker, are supposed to be very good in Man coverage.

Given all that, maybe Assente Samuel makes sense. He is a horrible tackler, but a dynamite coverage guy.

The only problem with Samuel is his 9M cap hit for 2011. Otherwise, he'd be a great addition talent-wise & would like to see him in blue & white.

With Kelvin Hayden, I think the team saw his contract as a mistake and corrected it. He was getting Samuel money but without the elite play. His was a tough decision to make for the team short-term (money-wise) but good over the long haul looking at the would-be payouts in 2012 and 2013. He made 22M for one year's work. Better to cut ties now and take the short term loss, which is way, way better long term thinking. I like it.

Your theory on shifting away from soft cover2 is interesting though. It would be great to move away from some of that if we can get it done personnel-wise. It has cost us in the past.

This whole thing still makes no sense to me. I keep seeing that this is only saving the team 1 mil this yr. with the dead money owed. I wonder if Hayden done something to wear out his welcome here or if he was still too injured to contribute otherwise, why not hang onto him 1 more yr. and cut him lose next yr. when it would be better cap relief. Something don't add up.

This whole thing still makes no sense to me. I keep seeing that this is only saving the team 1 mil this yr. with the dead money owed. I wonder if Hayden done something to wear out his welcome here or if he was still too injured to contribute otherwise, why not hang onto him 1 more yr. and cut him lose next yr. when it would be better cap relief. Something don't add up.

yeah this is what i was thinking..i mean 1 mil really??

idk im w u somethin doesnt add up w this..and we are always havin health issues @ corner

i did see where some1 posted that it would b more cuz of bonuses n such but that was never the case b4..idk if this yr is diff or what but hayden wasnt this terrible

The emergence of Tryon, Lacey proving he's a capable nickle/dime back and two young guys who have long arms and good quickness made this possible.

Thanks Hayden for you time, I'm sorry injuries made things difficult for you but I will always remember your pick 6 in the SB.

I truly believed he'd be a Colt in 2011 as well....but on extremely shaky ground, at best, in 2012 if he didn't play like the league's best (commensurate his salary). My guess is his questionable health sealed the decision for 2011.

Anyone remember Cromartie's one handed pick over Wayne a few years back.... I believe it was the game that Peyton threw 6 picks.

Cromartie is cheaper, we just need someone for depth. Powers is awesome, Cromartie could fill hole. He used to pi** me off when we played against the Chargers.

The emergence of Tryon, Lacey proving he's a capable nickle/dime back and two young guys who have long arms and good quickness made this possible.

Thanks Hayden for you time, I'm sorry injuries made things difficult for you but I will always remember your pick 6 in the SB.

ok will every1 stop talkin about tryon..hes not that good ok, or he wouldnt have been traded for a 5th or 6th rounder..he is avg @ best..lacey is only good @ nickle/dime..i love lacey but this is who he is and will always b..and every1 who is a corner not named revis has long arms n good quickness..we need a stud!

As I understand it, if we cut him now, we have to account his base salary, plus the remainder of his bonus in the salary cap this year.

If we kept him the remainder of his contract, that bonus would be spread out over those years.

So I guess by cutting him now, we're taking the hit now, as opposed to the next few years, when he won't really count against the cap at all.

As I understand it, if we cut him now, we have to account his base salary, plus the remainder of his bonus in the salary cap this year.

If we kept him the remainder of his contract, that bonus would be spread out over those years.

So I guess by cutting him now, we're taking the hit now, as opposed to the next few years, when he won't really count against the cap at all.

Exactly the way I understand it. The team is cuttin' bait & moving on. I wish Hayden all the best, individually, but as far as the team goes our history has shown hanging on to highly paid and/or injury prone players has an extremely low risk/reward return.

I like Hayden when healthy!!!!!!!! We gave him big money & he then struggled with his health. His play last 2 years was not good. right before he got hurt last year was starting to play better. I think Coyer wants big CB's who hit & have cover skills. IE. the last 2 drafts with the 2 corners taken. both physical cover guys. I thought Hayden would be back, but not a surety to start. I like Tyron he will play well there, but a position of strength just took a hit, especially if Hayden was healthy & ready to play, but the last 2 years he's cover skills not so good, it seemed he was not as willing to hit people in the mouth.

ok will every1 stop talkin about tryon..hes not that good ok, or he wouldnt have been traded for a 5th or 6th rounder..he is avg @ best..lacey is only good @ nickle/dime..i love lacey but this is who he is and will always b..and every1 who is a corner not named revis has long arms n good quickness..we need a stud!

Actually a 7th rounder. However, by your logic we shouldn't sign any of the guys that were cut or even not resigned by their original teams because they weren't even traded for anything. The Skins had a log jam at corner and had to make a move or else they would have to cut him. We could have waited for Tryon to be cut, but then we would have run the risk of someone else getting him, so we offered a draft pick.

Tryon is good. No, not a stud, but he was a a good corner for us last year and should be even better this year.

I am nervous about our corners.Powers is good but has had injuries the last 2 years,lacey imo is not very good.tyron looks okay but who knows.I strongly believe we need a veteran who can still play.I really hope this kid thomas can contribute right away.

i think ur right w thomas..he needs to break out for us if we dont sign some1..if not, i got a feelin its gonna be like the 02-03 colts all over again..tryin to outscore the other teams

maybe the colts are trying to do the same thing as they did with diem. cutting hayden (9 million cap hit), and signing him for much less than the $6-7 million base salary that he would have made the next couple years. this would free up cap space the next couple years (9 and 10 million, minus what they pay him) with freeney and mathis big cap numbers.

If Hayden does not receive interest at the inflated dollars he thinks he's worth, maybe like Diem he will be re-signed less expensively, thus filling the apparent CB need that his cutting opened up. When he was healthy, I thought of him as a solid, playmaking CB.

What do you guys think ... Bring him back at a reasonable price if it can be done?

If Hayden does not receive interest at the inflated dollars he thinks he's worth, maybe like Diem he will be re-signed less expensively, thus filling the apparent CB need that his cutting opened up. When he was healthy, I thought of him as a solid, playmaking CB.

What do you guys think ... Bring him back at a reasonable price if it can be done?

If he's cleared medically, sure.