Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hayden to be cut

John Waylon

The last I heard Hayden was going to meet with the Redskins. Has anything transpired from that? I feel we really need a CB and was wondering if you guys think he would come back at a lesser cost like Diem did?

I agree. We should probably let the dust settle and see if he can come back for his cap number, around over $1 mil., for a 1 yr. contract, to prove himself. That has been the trendy thing the last few days, 1 yr. contracts now in free agency.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last I heard Hayden was going to meet with the Redskins. Has anything transpired from that? I feel we really need a CB and was wondering if you guys think he would come back at a lesser cost like Diem did?

My bet is Hayden gets a good deal somewhere. Not what we paid him, but he'll get a good deal. How ironic would it be if Chicago grabbed him?

I don't see any way we bring him back. He's counting against the cap already, why do it again?

Not that I would be opposed, but I don't see it.

Yea good point. I just have a bad feeling about our secondary if we don't do something. It also feels like the options available at this point aren't that great so I'm not sure what the Colts can do. Heck I don't even think anyone knows how much cap room we have left.

Yea good point. I just have a bad feeling about our secondary if we don't do something. It also feels like the options available at this point aren't that great so I'm not sure what the Colts can do. Heck I don't even think anyone knows how much cap room we have left.

Oh I agree. The idea of Jacob Lacey starting and trying to contain Ocho or Welker is already giving me fits...

My bet is Hayden gets a good deal somewhere. Not what we paid him, but he'll get a good deal. How ironic would it be if Chicago grabbed him?

we only save about a million this year on cap space by cutting Hayden, Colts are looking at a huge savings though next year by cutting now. We still have to pay him all the quaranteed money this year promised threwout the contract by realeasing him

I don't see him wanting to come back, but I'd take him back considering we're not stacked at CB.

This. We took money he was due in the future away from him, why would he come play for us next year and make less than half of what he was originally supposed to make?

we only save about a million this year on cap space by cutting Hayden, Colts are looking at a huge savings though next year by cutting now. We still have to pay him all the quaranteed money this year promised threwout the contract by realeasing him

I feel that we trimmed the fat with Hayden to free up cap room to give Mathis or Wayne or both their contracts next year. That's how I'm looking into it. I'm also not happy about our secondary situation. We WILL face another elite QB in the playoffs and we need to be able to defend them.

Sorry double post. I was having problems with the forums again *sigh*

I feel that we trimmed the fat with Hayden to free up cap room to give Mathis or Wayne or both their contracts next year. That's how I'm looking into it. I'm also not happy about our secondary situation. We WILL face another elite QB in the playoffs and we need to be able to defend them.

I agree , next years savings on the cap by cutting him this year will allow us much more flexibility in there contracts and in overall situation

However I am not comfy with Lacy starting unless he returns to i his rookie form, he seemed to take a step back last year

Why would he come back? Well, why wouldn't he?

The Colts are what he knows. The Colts made him a VERY rich man. The Colts did what they had to do from a business perspective, in cutting him / his inflated, over priced contract.

If the market is not there to pay him more than the Colts would be willing to pay him, then why not come back to the Super Bowl contending team, where you know the scheme, the coaches, and the players? The thing of being cut is just business, so as long as there is no personality conflicts, I don't see why it would not happen, as long as some other team does not break the bank for him.

Diem came back and over the years there have been countless other players that have been released, but then returned to play under lesser, but still good contracts. Such is the business of the NFL.

Anyway, I'd be happy to see him back. A healthy Hayden is arguably the best CB on the roster. Powers looks like he will emerge to be better than Hayden, but he too has been rather injury plagued. A healthy Powers and a re-signed, healthy Hayden looks to me to be the best starting duo that the Colts could field, given their current personnel.

Why would he come back? Well, why wouldn't he?

The Colts are what he knows. The Colts made him a VERY rich man. The Colts did what they had to do from a business perspective, in cutting him / his inflated, over priced contract.

If the market is not there to pay him more than the Colts would be willing to pay him, then why not come back to the Super Bowl contending team, where you know the scheme, the coaches, and the players? The thing of being cut is just business, so as long as there is no personality conflicts, I don't see why it would not happen, as long as some other team does not break the bank for him.

Diem came back and over the years there have been countless other players that have been released, but then returned to play under lesser, but still good contracts. Such is the business of the NFL.

Anyway, I'd be happy to see him back. A healthy Hayden is arguably the best CB on the roster. Powers looks like he will emerge to be better than Hayden, but he too has been rather injury plagued. A healthy Powers and a re-signed, healthy Hayden looks to me to be the best starting duo that the Colts could field, given their current personnel.

Because we cut his salary and for him to come back he's going to have to take much less than half of what we offered just a few years ago... If your boss told you "You're fired." and then turned around and offered you your job back for less than half what you were making before would you take it?

Doubt it.

Same scenario, bigger stakes.

Because we cut his salary and for him to come back he's going to have to take much less than half of what we offered just a few years ago... If your boss told you "You're fired." and then turned around and offered you your job back for less than half what you were making before would you take it?

Doubt it.

Same scenario, bigger stakes.

If he cannot get hired by another team for more than the Colts are willing to pay, your reasoning goes out the window. It's just business and yeah, it sucks that you and your big salary get cut, but if what you are subsequently offered is just as good as anywhere else, then it is what it is, that's the economics and business reality of their chosen dream profession. Under your reasoning, why did Diem come back? Why does any player that is cut because of his contract agree to re-sign with the team that cut their contract? A player can either face the harsh business reality of their dream profession or go sulk and then go elsewhere, for nothing more and maybe even less.

If Hayden can get more elsewhere, than more power to him and good luck to him, sincerely. But if he cannot, then why not come back? Can't imagine him finding another team that offers him a sweeter situation to be in with as good of an opportunity to win another Super Bowl. Just say'in.

Diem's take on being cut then re-signed. http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=dd037936-9a74-49b5-a000-f75c7e6ecfb4

Speaks volumes about what kind of person Diem is. Total professional. I hope he has a bounce back year this year.

I agree , next years savings on the cap by cutting him this year will allow us much more flexibility in there contracts and in overall situation

However I am not comfy with Lacy starting unless he returns to i his rookie form, he seemed to take a step back last year

Why does everyone keep saying Lacey will replace Hayden? Justin Tryon is still on the roster and looked a heck of a lot better then Lacey. I feel more comfortable with Tryon stepping in and replacing Hayden.

What I would love to see is for us to forgo the future since we are screwed when Peyton leaves anyways and go get Asante.

If Hayden is willing to come back though at a reduce price I would do that before giving the start spot to Tryon.

If he cannot get hired by another team for more than the Colts are willing to pay, your reasoning goes out the window. It's just business and yeah, it sucks that you and your big salary get cut, but if what you are subsequently offered is just as good as anywhere else, then it is what it is, that's the economics and business reality of their chosen dream profession. Under your reasoning, why did Diem come back? Why does any player that is cut because of his contract agree to re-sign with the team that cut their contract? A player can either face the harsh business reality of their dream profession or go sulk and then go elsewhere, for nothing more and maybe even less.

If Hayden can get more elsewhere, than more power to him and good luck to him, sincerely. But if he cannot, then why not come back? Can't imagine him finding another team that offers him a sweeter situation to be in with as good of an opportunity to win another Super Bowl. Just say'in.

Diem's take on being cut then re-signed. http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=dd037936-9a74-49b5-a000-f75c7e6ecfb4

Speaks volumes about what kind of person Diem is. Total professional. I hope he has a bounce back year this year.

He won't come back out of principal. He most likely feel that we did wrong by him, and he's not going to vindicate us by returning when he feels that way.

Diem, on the other hand, wasn't going to land elsewhere. I've not met one fan of this team yet whose said "WOOOOOO! ONE MORE YEAR OF RYAN DIEM! A false start? Really?"

Diem's options were "Take a pay cut and try to compete for a Super Bowl, or go home." He didn't have any options. Hayden will, and even if we'll pay the same as the deal he eventually gets, he's going elsewhere.

He won't come back out of principal. He most likely feel that we did wrong by him, and he's not going to vindicate us by returning when he feels that way.

Diem, on the other hand, wasn't going to land elsewhere. I've not met one fan of this team yet whose said "WOOOOOO! ONE MORE YEAR OF RYAN DIEM! A false start? Really?"

Diem's options were "Take a pay cut and try to compete for a Super Bowl, or go home." He didn't have any options. Hayden will, and even if we'll pay the same as the deal he eventually gets, he's going elsewhere.

I would like to see an interview with Hayden to see if he harbors the sour grapes that you infer him as having.

Perhaps he does or perhaps he does not.

If I were the one telling him about his being cut, it would have been done in such a way as to soothe his soul and offer an olive branch, assuming I had any interest in him playing for the team, even if it is at a reduced salary.

I have been assuming that the Colts would welcome him back at a more appropriate pay rate. Thus, I assume that he was treated with much consideration through the process and that it was expressed that the team would like him back. If he still harbors sour grapes despite the reality of the business and the reality of what he is really worth based on his talent and reliability (injury prone), then so be it, no big loss.

Currently, his shopping his services is perfectly understandable and may indeed simply be part of the process of him ascertaining what his market value really is. Like I said, if it is higher than the Colts are willing to pay, then that's fine. If it is not, then it should be confirmed to him that the Colts were merely acting in the best interests of the team and a reasonable person should not begrudge a team for that.