Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Espn First Take

KyFan18

I still dont know how you can pass on Andrew Luck with the 1st overall pick. He is unquestionably the best player in the draft, and you dont pass on a guy that is a franchise QB guy.

I still believe that if Manning truly wants to play for a contender then he could be willing to restructure his deal to where he can be traded and it wont handicap the Colts financially. That would be the best case scenario for the Colts because they would get something in return for Manning to give Andrew Luck more talent around him.

I think there are teams out there willing to pay Manning his big bonus in order to have his services on the team.

It's easy to pass on Luck if it means we can trade that pick for a king's ransom of picks and stock the entire team with talent. You don't need a HOF qb on a GREAT team. Just a decent one. We can still take a Forte or another decent QB a little further down in the draft.

Does anyone see any way that we can trade the # 1 pick to get more draft picks, but yet still get our next QB and that kid from LSU (I think his name is Matheu). We sure need secondary help and don't get me started on our lack of punt and kickoff return.

I think we WILL get an unbelievable trade for Luck. There are only a handful of great QBs in the league. Every other team is fair game to try and grab Luck. This draft is going to be unreal. There is always talk of big trades for the number 1 pick every year and it almost never happens...however, this year it could happen and the deals are going to be the best ever. I think we'll find ourselves drooling over some of these deals.

Peyton sells tickets better than any one else. Does the boss give that up for a possible future replacement? Thats the question. Nothing else. Who will fill the seats. PM does now,but.....

I'm for keeping Peyton. Thats the smart move. Luck is an unknown. I'll buy tickets to see PM, Airfare from NY and hotel rooms, etc, etc. I wont spend $$$$ for a "rebuilding phase". Only corporations have $$ for that. And if they suck for years to come, even the Corporates leave.

Pleanty of time left to find the next QB. IF PM's healthy. Reality!

Andrew Luck is unquestionably the best player in the draft? How do you know that? There is no such thing as a sure thing. I agree that he is very, very good. And he might be the best player to come out of this draft when all is said and done, but unquestionably? There are always, always questions when it comes to the draft. Uncertainty and speculation are the name of the game in the NFL draft.

their will be another qb next year and it looks like we will have next years #1 pick and maybe the year after that also

Well sure I guess there are always questions from people if he is certainly the best player, but I made this statement based on who I would bet on. Out of the QBs this year in the draft, I would bet on Luck before any other QB to be great at the next level.

Whether or not he's the best QB in the draft is questionable, let alone the best player. When guys like Von Miller, or Patrick Peterson can be had (HUGE impact players, by the way, and far more deserving of the Rookie of the Year honors), you don't take Cam Newton. We don't NEED back up QB. We need defense and special teams help. Guys like Claiborne are waiting for us, and would start for 10 years.

How long did it take for the Colts to get back to a Superbowl after it move to Indy? A long freaken times is how long. We were able to do this because of one Man. Lets not forget Peyton was the reason we made Superbowl runs. We can see that by looking at this team without him. How many pro-bowlers are there goning to be on this team this year? How many of them were pro-bowlers with him behind the center. A Peyton Manning only comes around once in life time. I say this because he might very well be the best QB of all time. I am not looking for a debate on this. That is just my opinion. He certainly is the most important single player that has ever been on one team. He made the Colts what they are,were, and will be since they moved to Indy. Will Luck be an all time great? Probably not, if history tells us anything. He will be productive and he is a safe bet. I dont thnk he will be a bust. But, if Manning is healthy and is still 80 percent of what he was then it would be a straight up tragedy to trade or release him right now. He has something to prove. He is a leader that is irreplaceable. And to give up on a player that means so much to the organization,this city, and the NFL in general would be insane.

Short of the AFC Championship game, Manning was pretty mediocre in the 2006 run. 2009 he was spectacular, but it didn't matter in the end. As to the rest of the team: Frathis is still a terrifying duo, Wayne and Garcon may both end up with 1000 yard seasons (without Manning), and we may end up with the most productive ground game we've had since the 06 campaign (again, without Manning, who normally takes attention away from the backs). 3 of our backs are averaging over 4 ypc, and would have a lot more yards if Painter or Collins could have figured out where the first down markers were.

I agree and yes....he has made comments that sound like he's all in for the draft, and that was kinda my point with the poster I responded to.

Luck just doesn't strike me as being against coming to the Colts at all.

If he REALLY had any major problem with being drafted by Indy...he does have another year of eligibility with Stanford....and wouldn't have to resort to Elway-type nonsense trying to effect his outcome on Draft Day.

He shouldn't strike you as anything right now, because he's making the safe comments and staying out of trouble. It implies nothing of his future interests. He would also certainly consider whatever nonsense he could muster: it's his career. He needs to worry about the Luck family, not what's best for Indianapolis. If Barkley, RGIII, and Landry all elect to stay in college, his power becomes even greater. If he has a problem, he doesn't have to go back to Stanford. He could hold out as long as he wants, and something will get done. Indy can't just refuse to trade him or the pick. He has more power than we do come draft day, if he so chooses.

A) Luck doesn't have baseball to use as leverage like Elway did.

B) I don't think anyone is saying he would hold a clipboard for 3 years...I could see 2.

C) Very few teams are in teh position to have a starting QB like Peyton and be able to draft a talent like Luck

A) Luck has a ton of leverage, because he's the most sought-after QB in the draft with a field of teams that would be willing to start him and build around him day 1.

B) Your speculation is irrelevant, because Manning probably has every intention of playing the next 4 years. Even an 80% Manning in 2014 is better than any version of Luck. Your guess is as good as no one's. 2 years or 10 years, Luck won't be playing for a LOOOOONG time if he's in Indy.

C) No team would ever spend that kind of money on two players, when only one of them gets to play either. Why? Because organizations aren't that dumb.

Anyone remember a quarterback named John Elway ? he was drafted by the (Baltimore) Colts but said he would rather play Major League Baseball than play for the Colts. So, just because you draft Andrew Luck, does not mean he would sign or necessarily want to play, or more realistically- hold a clipboard for 3 years. And if he's that gifted, no football team is going to sit him (((see: Tim Tebow))) It would be unfair to Luck, his team and to fans of ALL teams. We all want to see him play.

It's so funny to read everyone's perfect scenarios regarding Luck and the Colts management. haha

First off, I think it is fair to say that Manning is better than both Orton and Quin... Rodgers said it best, It would be a special opportunity for him (Luck) to learn behind the GOAT. Do you remember who the colts qb was when they drafted Elway? Didn't think so

Short of the AFC Championship game, Manning was pretty mediocre in the 2006 run. 2009 he was spectacular, but it didn't matter in the end. As to the rest of the team: Frathis is still a terrifying duo, Wayne and Garcon may both end up with 1000 yard seasons (without Manning), and we may end up with the most productive ground game we've had since the 06 campaign (again, without Manning, who normally takes attention away from the backs).

Mediocre or not, other teams respected Manning so much that they still were pass happy to get a lead on the Colts. Helping the defense to be ready for the pass and get to he QB. I also wasnt asking who was doing ok this year. I asked who is going to make the pro-bowl this year. No one. Mathis only has 30 combined tackes. 17 are unassisted. He only has 5.5 tackles which is less then 1\2 sack a game. So we will give him 7.5 for the season. Not bad, but not pro-bowl. Freeney has only 15 tackles, that right only 15 and 9 are unassisted. This duo is not looking very terrifying to me or any of the NFL teams right now. Sorry. They only have 3 combined FF's. That is the reason teams were terrified. They just cant even get there hands on the QB in time this year. Wayne is on pace to put up these numbers this year : 69 catches 943 yards and 3 touchdowns. Besides only 3 TD's, that wouldnt be a bad season for a number 2 reciever. But not Pro-Bowl.Garcon is on pace for: 73 catches 1073 yards 8 touchdowns. This is good. But not for your number reciever who wants to be a Pro-Bowler. Garcon is has the 17th most yards this year as a reciever. In this pass happy league 1000 yards recieving is not all star quality anymore. I know this is without Peyton, but that is the point. I know I sound like I am bashing these players but I am not. I am saying that Peyton made this whole team better. No rookie QB is going to make this team SB contendor for a long time.

I think what makes it really difficult is that amount of time Luck would have to wait. I am clearly speculating, but I think if Manning regains his strength, he will play at least the last four years of the contract. He clearly misses playing football and he has now had it taken away from him for a year. I think he comes back with a vengence. But drafting Luck or any other QB this year is problematic because I am guessing they don't see the field until their fifth year. So, in my scenerio, why even pick a QB right now, other then a developmental player? For example, Kellen Moore is a guy that might go in like the 3rd round who might be able to produce in the NFL, but you don't have that huge investment in him. But then pick the next QB in a few years.

For example, lets say the Colts can trade the Luck pick for three #1 picks (I have heard that is what it would be worth, but who knows). So for the next three years the Colts have another teams #1 pick. Well, Luck likely won't be good for a couple of years, so the Colts would likely have a high draft pick for the next three years. So i can see them getting a QB in a few years.

I honestly hate the situation. i wish this was two years down the road and Manning had two years left. Then getting Luck would be such a great transition. But I believe Peyton has too much elite football left in him to retire in a year or two.

He shouldn't strike you as anything right now, because he's making the safe comments and staying out of trouble. It implies nothing of his future interests. He would also certainly consider whatever nonsense he could muster: it's his career. He needs to worry about the Luck family, not what's best for Indianapolis. If Barkley, RGIII, and Landry all elect to stay in college, his power becomes even greater. If he has a problem, he doesn't have to go back to Stanford. He could hold out as long as he wants, and something will get done. Indy can't just refuse to trade him or the pick. He has more power than we do come draft day, if he so chooses.

I prefer to give Andrew Luck the benefit of the doubt, and prefer to believe that he's not going to embark on the John Elway/Eli Manning template or some kind of scorched-earth hold out strategy.

That's my opinion....we're allowed to have those here.

And I try to avoid absolute statements anyway.

The Colts should just ask Luck man to man are you willing to sit behind are HOF QB for a couple of seasons...yes or no. Depending on his answer you pick him or trade the pick. Plus there are other QBs who would love to be behind him Barkley from USC and the QB from Baylor Blake Griffin III