Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Espn First Take

KyFan18

In light of Archie's comments, the First Take panel addressed what the Colts should do with Peyton Manning. Kordell, Skip, and Stephen A. Smith all said to keep Manning and play him until he retires, even if it means passing on Luck (if he doesn't want to play behind Manning for 3 years) and taking someone more willing to sit for a while.

Thoughts?

In light of Archie's comments, the First Take panel addressed what the Colts should do with Peyton Manning. Kordell, Skip, and Stephen A. Smith all said to keep Manning and play him until he retires, even if it means passing on Luck (if he doesn't want to play behind Manning for 3 years) and taking someone more willing to sit for a while.

Thoughts?

I agree, but this is the ultimate catch 22. I think keeping Peyton and getting a slew of picks for the number 1 is the best deal.W ith that being said, how many chances does a franchise get to lucky enough to get 25 years of number 1 qb's. Very tough spot, but I think it is a win,win. imo

I still dont know how you can pass on Andrew Luck with the 1st overall pick. He is unquestionably the best player in the draft, and you dont pass on a guy that is a franchise QB guy.

I still believe that if Manning truly wants to play for a contender then he could be willing to restructure his deal to where he can be traded and it wont handicap the Colts financially. That would be the best case scenario for the Colts because they would get something in return for Manning to give Andrew Luck more talent around him.

I think there are teams out there willing to pay Manning his big bonus in order to have his services on the team.

Keeping Manning until he retires (and starting him) would give us the best chance at winning, and drafting Luck and keeping him pretty much keeps our future bright also, but you always have those busts, but I don't think he'll be one.

I still dont know how you can pass on Andrew Luck with the 1st overall pick. He is unquestionably the best player in the draft, and you dont pass on a guy that is a franchise QB guy.

I still believe that if Manning truly wants to play for a contender then he could be willing to restructure his deal to where he can be traded and it wont handicap the Colts financially. That would be the best case scenario for the Colts because they would get something in return for Manning to give Andrew Luck more talent around him.

I think there are teams out there willing to pay Manning his big bonus in order to have his services on the team.

Andrew Luck is unquestionably the best player in the draft? How do you know that? There is no such thing as a sure thing. I agree that he is very, very good. And he might be the best player to come out of this draft when all is said and done, but unquestionably? There are always, always questions when it comes to the draft. Uncertainty and speculation are the name of the game in the NFL draft.

Andrew Luck is unquestionably the best player in the draft? How do you know that? There is no such thing as a sure thing. I agree that he is very, very good. And he might be the best player to come out of this draft when all is said and done, but unquestionably? There are always, always questions when it comes to the draft. Uncertainty and speculation are the name of the game in the NFL draft.

Well sure I guess there are always questions from people if he is certainly the best player, but I made this statement based on who I would bet on. Out of the QBs this year in the draft, I would bet on Luck before any other QB to be great at the next level.

The Colts have long-term interests....not just Archie's son's interest to look out for.

His public comments on what is already going to be a tough decision aren't helpful....given his Draft Day shenanigans with the Chargers.

My first preference in all this is and has always been that Peyton returns to full health and finishes out his career in Indy....trade the #1 pick for players/draft picks and try to win another Super Bowl with Peyton.

But if it gets messy and complicated.....and Archie, with Peyton's blessings, is on another quest to tweak the outcome of an NFL team's draft....then it is sadly time to part ways with Peyton Manning and release him.

I would love to see Luck coexist however if they can't if Barkley or RGIII come out to play professional football, it might be worth doing a trade. If we can rip off the Vikings, or another team that wants Luck & get either of those aforementioned QBs + a TON of other picks, possibly including additional picks next year that would be just as solid. "IF" Manning comes back for 3-4 years and plays at a high level Barkley or RGIII would have a ton of time to learn from the greatest. + we could address many issues within the next two years. That's only if we can get one of the most epic deals for Luck. An extra first and 2nd round pick wouldn't cut it in my view.

Anyone remember a quarterback named John Elway ? he was drafted by the (Baltimore) Colts but said he would rather play Major League Baseball than play for the Colts. So, just because you draft Andrew Luck, does not mean he would sign or necessarily want to play, or more realistically- hold a clipboard for 3 years. And if he's that gifted, no football team is going to sit him (((see: Tim Tebow))) It would be unfair to Luck, his team and to fans of ALL teams. We all want to see him play.

It's so funny to read everyone's perfect scenarios regarding Luck and the Colts management. haha

Anyone remember a quarterback named John Elway ? he was drafted by the (Baltimore) Colts but said he would rather play Major League Baseball than play for the Colts. So, just because you draft Andrew Luck, does not mean he would sign or necessarily want to play, or more realistically- hold a clipboard for 3 years. And if he's that gifted, no football team is going to sit him (((see: Tim Tebow))) It would be unfair to Luck, his team and to fans of ALL teams. We all want to see him play.

It's so funny to read everyone's perfect scenarios regarding Luck and the Colts management. haha

Yeah but you could make the argument this every possible QB that might come out this year in the first round is too good NOT to start. If Griffin, Barkley, Luck, Landry others come out you could make a case that all should be starters. The fact of the matter is some of these potentially good-great QBs will have to sit, and why not sit behind one of the greatest of all time regardless who you are. They will get a TON of preseason play time and their is always a strong possibility Manning does not come back 100% or gets injured again with a hard hit.

Everyone's perfect scenario?

Sure....he could derail us or anyone from picking him, but once Luck declares he's eligible for the draft in January, by then knowing that the Colts have the first overall pick, exactly what leverage does he have against the Colts drafting him?

Personally....I don't think him and Manning are likely to both be on the Colts next year although its not impossible.

But I also believe that if Luck declares himself eligible in January knowing the Colts are in position to draft him....then that is tacit approval on his part that they do so and Peyton's situation will work itself out regardless.

If he has any gas pains as far as being a Colt, he could just return to Stanford for another season....which he is eligible to do.

But I don't expect him to declare for the draft and then pull the same crap that jerk off Elway did.

need the 3 M's manning moore and mudd, they created the greatness and peyton was good enough to take it, and mould it into what it is. Luck is going to need coaching and he will need to have the connection manning had to keep the same process going, if they so chose to. Do you guys think we have the coaching to get him to do what peyton does, or even create something new...?

Everyone's perfect scenario?

Sure....he could derail us or anyone from picking him, but once Luck declares he's eligible for the draft in January, by then knowing that the Colts have the first overall pick, exactly what leverage does he have against the Colts drafting him?

Personally....I don't think him and Manning are likely to both be on the Colts next year although its not impossible.

But I also believe that if Luck declares himself eligible in January knowing the Colts are in position to draft him....then that is tacit approval on his part that they do so and Peyton's situation will work itself out regardless.

If he has any gas pains as far as being a Colt, he could just return to Stanford for another season....which he is eligible to do.

But I don't expect him to declare for the draft and then pull the same crap that jerk off Elway did.

Hasn't Luck already pretty much declared for the draft? I mean I don't know if official paperwork has been filed and even if so he'd have an opportunity to change his mind if he waits to sign an agent, but he's already said he's going to come out as far as I know. I personally don't think whatever team is at #1 would have affected his decision. I could definitely be wrong though.

How long did it take for the Colts to get back to a Superbowl after it move to Indy? A long freaken times is how long. We were able to do this because of one Man. Lets not forget Peyton was the reason we made Superbowl runs. We can see that by looking at this team without him. How many pro-bowlers are there goning to be on this team this year? How many of them were pro-bowlers with him behind the center. A Peyton Manning only comes around once in life time. I say this because he might very well be the best QB of all time. I am not looking for a debate on this. That is just my opinion. He certainly is the most important single player that has ever been on one team. He made the Colts what they are,were, and will be since they moved to Indy. Will Luck be an all time great? Probably not, if history tells us anything. He will be productive and he is a safe bet. I dont thnk he will be a bust. But, if Manning is healthy and is still 80 percent of what he was then it would be a straight up tragedy to trade or release him right now. He has something to prove. He is a leader that is irreplaceable. And to give up on a player that means so much to the organization,this city, and the NFL in general would be insane.

Hasn't Luck already pretty much declared for the draft? I mean I don't know if official paperwork has been filed and even if so he'd have an opportunity to change his mind if he waits to sign an agent, but he's already said he's going to come out as far as I know. I personally don't think whatever team is at #1 would have affected his decision. I could definitely be wrong though.

I agree and yes....he has made comments that sound like he's all in for the draft, and that was kinda my point with the poster I responded to.

Luck just doesn't strike me as being against coming to the Colts at all.

If he REALLY had any major problem with being drafted by Indy...he does have another year of eligibility with Stanford....and wouldn't have to resort to Elway-type nonsense trying to effect his outcome on Draft Day.

The Colts have long-term interests....not just Archie's son's interest to look out for.

His public comments on what is already going to be a tough decision aren't helpful....given his Draft Day shenanigans with the Chargers.

My first preference in all this is and has always been that Peyton returns to full health and finishes out his career in Indy....trade the #1 pick for players/draft picks and try to win another Super Bowl with Peyton.

But if it gets messy and complicated.....and Archie, with Peyton's blessings, is on another quest to tweak the outcome of an NFL team's draft....then it is sadly time to part ways with Peyton Manning and release him.

After listening to ESPN first take and a replay of Mike and Mike when they talked to Archie, my personal opinion is that Archie isn't trying to manipulate the draft and I don't think he's trying to suggest that Peyton would cause problems if Luck were drafted. If anything, and even this is purely speculative, Archie might be planting the seeds that the Luck family might be planning, or at least considering, trying to dissuade the Colts from drafting Andrew because they feel he should be playing right away or within a year at most....in other words not waiting around for Peyton to retire. And again just to reiterate, I'm not saying that's definitely what Archie is doing but based on his original comments and then the follow up, I think it's more likely he's indicating the Luck family might try to manipulate the draft as opposed to Archie trying to manipulate anything himself. Part of what makes me think this is the indication that his original comments came after speaking with Oliver Luck the night before and the fact that earlier in the season it was reported that Oliver Luck has already contacted NFL officials to find out what options Andrew would have if he didn't want to go to the team who tried to draft him. I don't have a link for this...it was talked about I believe during one of the Stanford games earlier this year. And for the record, no I don't think that means that Andrew doesn't want to be a Colt because that report was discussed several weeks ago when both the Colts and Dolphins were still winless so there was no clear indication at the time as to what team would finish with the #1 pick.

Basically, we're not going to know anything about this until the season is over and Luck has filed the paperwork to officially declare (that's if this hasn't been done already) and the Colts have a chance to talk to him about the situation. Even then we may not know anything concrete until the last few days leading up to the draft or actually on draft day. Until then, we're going to see a lot more comments, opinions and many of these are going to simply be statements made in passing that get turned around and blown out of proportion by the media.

How long did it take for the Colts to get back to a Superbowl after it move to Indy? A long freaken times is how long. We were able to do this because of one Man. Lets not forget Peyton was the reason we made Superbowl runs. We can see that by looking at this team without him. How many pro-bowlers are there goning to be on this team this year? How many of them were pro-bowlers with him behind the center. A Peyton Manning only comes around once in life time. I say this because he might very well be the best QB of all time. I am not looking for a debate on this. That is just my opinion. He certainly is the most important single player that has ever been on one team. He made the Colts what they are,were, and will be since they moved to Indy. Will Luck be an all time great? Probably not, if history tells us anything. He will be productive and he is a safe bet. I dont thnk he will be a bust. But, if Manning is healthy and is still 80 percent of what he was then it would be a straight up tragedy to trade or release him right now. He has something to prove. He is a leader that is irreplaceable. And to give up on a player that means so much to the organization,this city, and the NFL in general would be insane.

even if he just played one game, and it showed how the team played with him in the game, would be sufficient for everyone to see just what a difference he makes. Be so great for the team and fans to see that this year. then good spirits over the offseason.

I agree and yes....he has made comments that sound like he's all in for the draft, and that was kinda my point with the poster I responded to.

Luck just doesn't strike me as being against coming to the Colts at all.

If he REALLY had any major problem with being drafted by Indy...he does have another year of eligibility with Stanford....and wouldn't have to resort to Elway-type nonsense trying to effect his outcome on Draft Day.

I gotcha and understand. However, my personal opinion is that he would have declared regardless, especially considering the #1 pick isn't locked up yet. Sure it's pretty much a foregone conclusion but this is the NFL and anything can happen so there's certainly nothing official yet regarding who will be picking at #1. If he'd have waited until the #1 pick was officially the Colts or waited until the end of the NFL season then I might be able to take that as an indication that he's ok with being a Colt...but even then there's still the "he could request a trade" scenario. There just seem to be a lot of similarities between Luck and the Eli Manning situation but even that I fully admit is just speculation on my part.

i have no idea on this: Are teams allowed and do they talk to eligble players before the draft, or is draft day and those phone calls they get when a teams on the clock the first time they would have talked to them?

Nah, they definitely get to interview prospects before draft day. They'll get to bring players in for individual workouts with the team and interview them prior to the day of the draft. NFL guys do have to wait, especially in regards to underclassmen, I believe until they've officially declared and maybe even until the player hires an agent (can anyone confirm this part) to talk about anything specific or to say "hey we are interested in drafting you" but yeah they can interview players prior to the actual day of the draft.

I have no problems with what Archie said (I also listened to his interview on Mike and Mike this morning). I truly think he is relaying Peyton's real feelings, because Peyton is too classy and much of a team player to come out and say it himself. The Mannings are media saavy, and I have to believe that this is a calculated move. Also, in his interviews last week, I got a sense that Peyton was uncomfortable with the Colts drafting a QB with the #1 overall pick. And to be honest, I don't blame him. Peyton wants to win now, and if he is the Colts QB, the Colts should too. Picking a QB #1 if a healthy PM is on the roster does not help the team win now, and actually hinders it not only from a personnel standpoint but also from a salary cap standpoint. I have always been and will continue to be in the camp that says we should pass on Luck and keep Peyton, or draft Luck and get rid of Peyton. However, I do think drafting a QB even as early as the late first round is a fine if PM is on the roster, just not #1 overall since that player needs to and should play immediately. Best case scnerio? The Browns covet Luck and we can get both there #1 picks this year for our #1. Then, we could draft an impact player and one of the other QBs in the first round...

Luck has already announced he is entering the draft, and I don't think that speaks one way or another about how he feels about coming to the Colts. He would be stupid to stay in college even if he didn't want to play for the Colts...all he could do by pulling that move is lessen his draft stock and/or get injured. He has options if he doesn't want to come to Indy, and there is no way one of them is staying in school.

A) Luck doesn't have baseball to use as leverage like Elway did.

B) I don't think anyone is saying he would hold a clipboard for 3 years...I could see 2.

C) Very few teams are in teh position to have a starting QB like Peyton and be able to draft a talent like Luck

Nah, they definitely get to interview prospects before draft day. They'll get to bring players in for individual workouts with the team and interview them prior to the day of the draft. NFL guys do have to wait, especially in regards to underclassmen, I believe until they've officially declared and maybe even until the player hires an agent (can anyone confirm this part) to talk about anything specific or to say "hey we are interested in drafting you" but yeah they can interview players prior to the actual day of the draft.

oh yeh, so can show interest in a player, but only to the extent of him doing things they want to see on the field, rather than actually saying we want you to come here.

Also is that basically what the combine is for? and does every player do the combine? I know you dont have to, but i guess it shows your talent under certain conditions.

I have always wondered what Elway had against Baltimore in refusing to play for them. Was he afraid he would be compaired to Unitas or just did not care for the Baltimore area or what? I rooted against him for years because of that.

After listening to ESPN first take and a replay of Mike and Mike when they talked to Archie, my personal opinion is that Archie isn't trying to manipulate the draft and I don't think he's trying to suggest that Peyton would cause problems if Luck were drafted. If anything, and even this is purely speculative, Archie might be planting the seeds that the Luck family might be planning, or at least considering, trying to dissuade the Colts from drafting Andrew because they feel he should be playing right away or within a year at most....in other words not waiting around for Peyton to retire. And again just to reiterate, I'm not saying that's definitely what Archie is doing but based on his original comments and then the follow up, I think it's more likely he's indicating the Luck family might try to manipulate the draft as opposed to Archie trying to manipulate anything himself. Part of what makes me think this is the indication that his original comments came after speaking with Oliver Luck the night before and the fact that earlier in the season it was reported that Oliver Luck has already contacted NFL officials to find out what options Andrew would have if he didn't want to go to the team who tried to draft him. I don't have a link for this...it was talked about I believe during one of the Stanford games earlier this year. And for the record, no I don't think that means that Andrew doesn't want to be a Colt because that report was discussed several weeks ago when both the Colts and Dolphins were still winless so there was no clear indication at the time as to what team would finish with the #1 pick.

Basically, we're not going to know anything about this until the season is over and Luck has filed the paperwork to officially declare (that's if this hasn't been done already) and the Colts have a chance to talk to him about the situation. Even then we may not know anything concrete until the last few days leading up to the draft or actually on draft day. Until then, we're going to see a lot more comments, opinions and many of these are going to simply be statements made in passing that get turned around and blown out of proportion by the media.

I am starting to wonder if what Peyton is seeing, as in the direction of this team that just maybe he may want out. He is classy enough that he is not going cause a major disruption. He is smart enough to know the Colts almost have to take Luck and he is also smart enough to know that this team is a coach and alot of players away from another super bowl run. I hope i am wrong, but it just feels with him Archie are putting this stuff out there it almost a way to help the Colts make this tough decision. I HOPE I am wrong if this line of thinking, but I truly feel his best chance to win another SB might be elsewhere and if that is the case I wish him good luck, now lets rebuild.

Unless the new CBA changed it, once a player declares for the draft we can talk to him all we want.

Also, if we're the first pick, we can start contract negotiations. I forget who it was a few years ago (Mario Williams?) but he had his contract signed before they even drafted him.

Yes I do. and I can still barely tolerate his mention to this day. Elway and his reps didn't like the direction the Colts were going when he was drafted in 83. He felt there were major issues with the front office managent, the head coach (Frank Kush) and players talent and Bob Irsay wasn't exactly the ideal NFL owner. Elway was selfish as heck and used baseball (he was a good college player and had played minor league ball for the Yankees) as a leverage to force a trade.

why cant we trade the 1pick and with one of those 3-5 picks get a QB like RGIII, Tanenhill or even matt barkley? why is that such a bad option?

I don't think that is a bad option, but I do think you will have to have a top 5 pick get Barkley, who I think is the next best.

This situation is a mess and I don't feel confident that even with Manning the Colts will be a solid SB contender within the next couple years anyways, even if they did address the MANY issues that needed to be fixed, it still takes players time to develope. You don't pass on Andrew Luck unless you can get an unbelievable trade for him.

This situation is a mess and I don't feel confident that even with Manning the Colts will be a solid SB contender within the next couple years anyways, even if they did address the MANY issues that needed to be fixed, it still takes players time to develope. You don't pass on Andrew Luck unless you can get an unbelievable trade for him.

I hate to say, but I think you are right.

A) Luck doesn't have baseball to use as leverage like Elway did.

B) I don't think anyone is saying he would hold a clipboard for 3 years...I could see 2.

C) Very few teams are in teh position to have a starting QB like Peyton and be able to draft a talent like Luck

I agree with all those points, but there are so many factors involved. Just because a team has the opportunity to pick that player, does not mean it's a "slam dunk". Draftees (the smart ones, anyway) will consider many factors just like they did in choosing a college team. Things to consider in the NFL: money, length/type of contract, management, coach, their system; if he's a QB, does the offensive style fit his abilities, do they throw alot, have a good O-line, receivers. Does he like to play in the snow, does he want to play for a team he grew up disliking, does he want to relocate far away from his hometown or family, does the team have a solid commitment to winning, will he start right away (Cam Newton) or sit for awhile(Aaron Rodgers). Is stomping on players on the ground acceptable, is it OK to smoke dope before the game

So many variables...it's not like being drafted into the military. These are humans, not machines.

I understand everyone is just voicing their opinions.

If the Colts have the #1 pick, they absolutely should pick the player of highest value(probably Luck) whether to play him or use him for leverage in trading; that's a no brainer. The rest is a mystery. :huh:

Keep Manning pick Luck and then you have the hammer, you could either trade him for more picks or trade him for some more players. I'm sick of the whole he may not want to sit crap. He's not played a single down in the NFL. I'm sure he could learn alot from Manning just by watching him play and his work ethic, even if Manning does not like the fact of mentoring him, which by the way I think he is professional enough to be the bigger person and he would do just that be a mentor to him. Peyton Manning if healthy "Should and Will Start" next year for the Colts. I've got a feeling that he'll be healthy and ready to prove all the "He's finished" crowed wrong. Think about what a healthy angry Manning will do to the opponents of the Colts next year.

I am starting to wonder if what Peyton is seeing, as in the direction of this team that just maybe he may want out. He is classy enough that he is not going cause a major disruption. He is smart enough to know the Colts almost have to take Luck and he is also smart enough to know that this team is a coach and alot of players away from another super bowl run. I hope i am wrong, but it just feels with him Archie are putting this stuff out there it almost a way to help the Colts make this tough decision. I HOPE I am wrong if this line of thinking, but I truly feel his best chance to win another SB might be elsewhere and if that is the case I wish him good luck, now lets rebuild.

If that is true, I couldnt blame him. If the front office doesnt want to trade Luck or the pick to help this team out right now then I probably would be wondering about my future with this team also. I sit at home and can see how bad this team is. He gets to see every practice and game up close and see how even worse they are.

This is how I see it. We are going to be down for a whle at some point or another. Most great teams are after they lose their star QB. Even if we get Luck, he is not going to win a Superbowl for us for a long time. If he ever does. Keep Manning, infact, start singing his praises right now to make him feel good about it. Load this team by trading the pick or Luck. Try to win a SB or Two before its too late.

Its either that, or Peyton and Polian got together and decided to get Peyton Healthy agian for a final run at the end of his career. Lose all the games. Get the first pick, knowing it was going to be a very, very valuable pick this year. Then use it to do exactly what I just said to do.

If there is any financial way to keep have both players, I believe that is the best bet. However, there are a lot of holes to fill with this team. #18 has made the greatness and as proven last year, can make chicken salad out of chicken poop. Aaron Rodgers being as good as he is led the Packers to a 6-10 season after a great year behind Favre. Luck will need some time of coaching, I do not care how good he looks on film. The NFL is a different world.

All that being said, #18 is a gamer. He may love the Colts organization, but he wants to win. The best chance for the Colts has to be to keep both and hope for the best. If we have a subpar year next year then make the trade/switch. What have you lost? One more year that would have been rough if there was a rookie under center?

I think this situation is far from a win win. The only thing that separates the Colts from other terrible teams is the possibility of having #18. Again.... so many holes.