Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wayne and Mathis?

colts52761

Now that Manning took less money, do Wayne and Mathis get new contracts?

Not right away, but yes. Robert Mathis should get a 6 year deal, and Reggie get a 3 year deal. They should get them next year, not this, we have many more priorities than Reggie and Robert, b/c they both have 1 year left.

Their contracts are up this year. It's not a necessity, but it might be worth thinking about extensions on their contracts now that we know what cap room we will have. I say lets get all of our roster spots filled for the season, and then start worrying about next year's contracts.

This is why Manning took less money. He wants to make sure he has his players around him.

Exactly, and lets not forget that now that the amount has been set he can renegotiate and restructure his contract if he wants to free more up in the future. He has done it a few times already. I mean the colts are going to be paying Manning for the next 30 years lol.

You know, Reggie only makes 5.95M this year. I thought it would be more. If we resigned him for two more years at that price I think we'd be getting a heck of a bargain.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1496/reggie-wayne

Yeah, but if you read the article is says he isnt happy with his contract. So I have a feeling we might be paying a little more for him. Love Reggie, but he is a proud man. He deserves to be. He is a dedicated and hard working reciever. He brings his hard hat with him. Just check out his fingers. They look like ground beef.

Not right away, but yes. Robert Mathis should get a 6 year deal, and Reggie get a 3 year deal. They should get them next year, not this, we have many more priorities than Reggie and Robert, b/c they both have 1 year left.

agreed, they will both get deals, manning said one reason he tool less money is so it can be spread around to the team needs....now when they get deals i dont know

Yeah, but if you read the article is says he isnt happy with his contract. So I have a feeling we might be paying a little more for him. Love Reggie, but he is a proud man. He deserves to be. He is a dedicated and hard working reciever. He brings his hard hat with him. Just check out his fingers. They look like ground beef.

Not that I disagree with you (closest thing we'll ever get to Marvin and #87 will be in the Ring of Honor) but I can't explain his dropsies last year. He's lost any explosive speed he once had. And he was invisible during the playoff game vs. the Jets last year too. I don't care if Revis is covering you, you HAVE to get one catch if you're the team's #1 receiver.

A 3 year deal for Wayne and a 4 year deal for Mathis sounds fair.

Sounds about right to me if they both get deals. I'm curious what Mathis' demand would be. Jerry Hughes is still waiting in the wings and I doubt he's going to be used as a career backup or would even want that. When it looked like there would be zero cap room I thought Mathis would not be a Colt in 2012 & Reggie would still get a 3yr deal. We'll see what happens.