Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

On The Positive Side..who Have Been The Best Value Players

dn4192

Hands down, the best value has been Reggie Wayne since you have to take Peyton Manning out of this equation because QBs are always paid higher than other positions. So I am concentrating exclusively on players who have performed at an elite level at their position without beind paid elite money for their position. With DEs being paid $10 mil. or more per year, one could also say that Mathis' contract has been good value as well.

1. Clark, Sanders - for being paid top dollar for their position, they have not been best value players, IMO.

2. Brackett - a case of one contract too late, great value for his previous contract compensated by average value for his top 10 LB contract.

3. Hayden - average value for his top 10 CB contract then.

Wayne - not paid like Andre Johnson or Brandon Marshall or Santonio Holmes who average about $10 mil. a year, but has produced as well as they have for his 6 yr. $39 mil. contract signed in 2005. Mathis - not paid like Freeney or Jared Allen or even Charles Johnson of the Panthers (whopping $72 mil. for 6 years), but has produced as well as they have for his 5 yr. $30 mil. contract signed in 2007, I think. Freeney - it is a push - on par with what he is paid, not exceeded value.

Hands down, the best value has been Reggie Wayne since you have to take Peyton Manning out of this equation because QBs are always paid higher than other positions. So I am concentrating exclusively on players who have performed at an elite level at their position without beind paid elite money for their position. With DEs being paid $10 mil. or more per year, one could also say that Mathis' contract has been good value as well.

1. Clark, Sanders - for being paid top dollar for their position, they have not been best value players, IMO.

2. Brackett - a case of one contract too late, great value for his previous contract compensated by average value for his top 10 LB contract.

Wayne - not paid like Andre Johnson or Brandon Marshall or Santonio Holmes who average about $10 mil. a year, but has produced as well as they have for his 6 yr. $39 mil. contract signed in 2005. Mathis - not paid like Freeney or Jared Allen or even Charles Johnson of the Panthers (whopping $72 mil. for 6 years), but has produced as well as they have for his 5 yr. $30 mil. contract signed in 2007, I think. Freeney - it is a push - on par with what he is paid, not exceeded value.

Well put, i agree.

Although, if not for injuries (including Manning) last year and this year, I think Clark would be more of a value. he's had a couple bouts with drops but has been a very good security blanket and weapon to count on. I TOTALLY agree with mathis. Similar career stats to Freeney. Sometimes I think he's more disruptive than Freeney. One of the best DE combos I can remember in the league.

Bethea, sixth round pick turned into a star on defense.

Garcon again for a sixth round pick has been very good value same with McAfee but he loses some points for being a punter.

Conner has been a star for a seventh round pick. He's gotten lost in Angerer's shadow but as of two weeks ago he was leading the league in tackles in the backfield.

Mathis was a late round pick if you want to go back that far.

Also for undrafted guys it's hard to argue about the value they have gotten out of Brackett, Bullitt, Saturday, Reitz, and Rhodes. Now I know not all of those were recent but that is a pretty good group of players there.

Great list.

I'd also put Jeff Saturday into the reasonable end of the spectrum with his 3 for 13M. He's been a leader and pretty consistent over the years & if this season turns out to be his last hurrah he's doing it with gusto.

Ehh naming stud draft picks and guys with good stats (wayne) is too easy.

I go with Re-signing Rob Morris mid super bowl run in 06 to replace Gilbert Gardner and finally solidify that run defense for little to no money. That move may have won us the superbowl and was a great move by big BP

Ehh naming stud draft picks and guys with good stats (wayne) is too easy.

I go with Re-signing Rob Morris mid super bowl run in 06 to replace Gilbert Gardner and finally solidify that run defense for little to no money. That move may have won us the superbowl and was a great move by big BP

They didn't resign Morris in the middle of the season they brought him off the bench. It was one of the stories Dungy loves to tell is how he kept telling Morris to be ready his time would come and it did.