Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archie Manning's Take On Andrew And Peyton Co-Existing (Merge)

Hoosier Colts Fan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, at what point does Archie need to let his 35 and 30 year old son fight their own battles?

I some how doubt Archie called WNDE this morning and said hey I want to come on and defend my son. I think the odds are better he went on to do an interview and was asked about it. Remember Archie works in the media for CBS for their coverage of SEC football and is a normal guest to have on the radio not only to talk about his son but to talk college football.

I some how doubt Archie called WNDE this morning and said hey I want to come on and defend my son. I think the odds are better he went on to do an interview and was asked about it. Remember Archie works in the media for CBS for their coverage of SEC football and is a normal guest to have on the radio not only to talk about his son but to talk college football.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if this was the first time he's meddled in his son's careers. It's not.

I know he's a parent, and he means well, but he really isn't doing anyone any favors by doing this. Quite the opposite actually.

Although Archie is a great person to ask, I would really like to hear from PM, and knowing him, he would probably be fine with it. Luck seems humble and PM would be starting. PM cares about this franchise so much, he wants to train a great QB to become the best. He loves this place to much, so he'll probably think about the franchise over himself... that's what he did for his contract.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if this was the first time he's meddled in his son's careers. It's not.

I know he's a parent, and he means well, but he really isn't doing anyone any favors by doing this. Quite the opposite actually.

Again, I really doubt Archie called for the interview, he was asked a question. He answered it.

You can't gain anything out of what Archie says imo. It's not like he's gonna be like "Peyton would be stoked to play with Andrew, In fact they've spoken of it many times now". Both players are tremendous professionals and would coexist if needed. The only way to find the truth is to go straight to the source. If theres ever an article where Peyton or Andrew say this, then I'll truly believe because from now till April everyone off the street is going to say this and that.

You can't gain anything out of what Archie says imo. It's not like he's gonna be like "Peyton would be stoked to play with Andrew, In fact they've spoken of it many times now". Both players are tremendous professionals and would coexist if needed. The only way to find the truth is to go straight to the source. If theres ever an article where Peyton or Andrew say this, then I'll truly believe because from now till April everyone off the street is going to say this and that.

+1 I agree with your quote completely and we will have to see what happens in April.

Yep the truth is going to come out at some point it just requires us doing what no one wants to do...waiting lol.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if this was the first time he's meddled in his son's careers. It's not. I know he's a parent, and he means well, but he really isn't doing anyone any favors by doing this. Quite the opposite actually.

Same here.....it might mean nothing but we all remember Archie's gambit when San Diego drafted Eli.

Again, I really doubt Archie called for the interview, he was asked a question. He answered it.

So you think it's simply a coincidence that everyone on Earth is talking about Manning/Luck and how this is all going to go down, and then all of a sudden we find Archie giving interviews where he says they don't want to play together?

Archie Manning might be a lot of things, but he isn't stupid. He had to know the kind of reaction saying something like this would create. I have to believe he said what he said for a reason. I'm just not sure if his motivation is to stop the Colts drafting Luck, or to get Peyton out of Indy.

So you think it's simply a coincidence that everyone on Earth is talking about Manning/Luck and how this is all going to go down, and then all of a sudden we find Archie giving interviews where he says they don't want to play together?

Archie Manning might be a lot of things, but he isn't stupid. He had to know the kind of reaction saying something like this would create. I have to believe he said what he said for a reason. I'm just not sure if his motivation is to stop the Colts drafting Luck, or to get Peyton out of Indy.

No I think the station called to have Archie Manning on because of that reason. With that said, I don't think Archie went out of his way to make this a topic. He got asked to do an interview and got asked a question and answered it.

No I think the station called to have Archie Manning on because of that reason. With that said, I don't think Archie went out of his way to make this a topic. He got asked to do an interview and got asked a question and answered it.

Precisely. The fact that someone else asked for the interview or asked the question doesn't mean Archie didn't have some kind of agenda in the way he answered it.

I'm just not sure if his motivation is to stop the Colts drafting Luck, or to get Peyton out of Indy.

Why would he do that when Peyton has stated several times he wants to retire a Colt? Would any father do that to a son?

From what I have heard about Archie he is a great father and very supporting of his family.

Why would he do that when Peyton has stated several times he wants to retire a Colt? Would any father do that to a son?

From what I have heard about Archie he is a great father and very supporting of his family.

Because we're terrible and Peyton wants to win another Super Bowl? I'd say it's more likely that they'd rather not start Peyton's retirement countdown. (which lets be honest is what drafting Andrew Luck will do) But after staring mortality in the face it's certainly not unreasonable to think Manning might be looking at his legacy.

I don't begrudge him that if it's the case. He's done far more for this franchise than one man could dream of. I just hope what ever happens, everyone is upfront and honest with each other and it ends on good terms. I would hate to see Manning Farving it up for a year or two.

:argh:

Archie isn't going to say anything that Peyton isn't 150% comfortable with. It is as simple as that.

I think where there's smoke there's fire. I've said numerous times on other threads that Manning and Luck happily coexisting on the same team wouldn't be as smooth as everyone thinks. Why does everyone think the Manning will just take Luck under his wing and tutor him? Manning is ultra competitive and he knows that he has a limited number of years to win more championships. He is not going to give up snaps at practice and will probably not take the time to try to train his replacement. I know I wouldn't if I were him. The only way I could see Manning helping Luck is if they were out of the playoff race and Manning announced that he would retire at the end of that season. Luck isn't going to want to follow Manning around holding a clipboard until Manning decides he's ready to retire.

Archie knows his son more than anyone and this is likely how Peyton feels about the situation. It could even be a PR move on Peyton's behalf for Archie to say something about the situation so it would look like Peyton had nothing to do with it. Remember that Archie fully supported Eli when Eli was adamant about not going to San Diego.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came up at the dinner table and Peyton insisted that Archie answer the question if ever asked and instructed him on how to answer it. I'm sure they all know how to play the media game.

Exactly this isn't BIll Polian sayings what's best for the team this is Peyton's dad and frankly the Mannings have proven to be very smart and I am sure Peyton and Archie on the same page about what they are getting out there. The afternoon guy on WNDE thinks this is this part of Manning's plan to start laying the seed to get out of Indianapolis.

There might be something to that.

Sorry not sure I agree with you on that one. Just like when their children were born they were not saying anything then Peyton's mother posted on facebook about the twins and I'm not too sure that was taken well since it was being kept such a closed topic. So I 'm not sure Peyton is 100% on board with Archie talking to the media but I could be wrong or you could be wrong so we just have different opinions and that's what a forum is for. Right ?

That is what forum's are for. I just think Archie is too media savvy to say or do something that would go against Peyton's wishes. The twins thing, that's different that is hard to hold back.

IMO Archie has been given a horrible opinion by some people. He's never been the Marinovich type father. i remember reading in book about when Peyton was being recruited that he fell asleep in the chair while Peyton interviewed or recruited Fulmer & Cutcliffe quizzing them about stuff as opposed to them talking to him. I heard him on Cowherd today and he didn't say anything out of line or anything other than it might not be the best situation for either player and it's not.. Luck needs to play, and so does Manning if he's healthy.

Luck is sitting there watching guys like Dalton and Cam come in right away and do a good job. You do not think his ego will be saying I can do better then them and I should be starting?

" I'm better than Dalton therefore I should be starting....over Peyton Manning"

That's not having a big ego....that's being delusional

Don't be surprised if Luck pulls an Eli or John Elway.

He's supposedly the most NFL-ready QB in 15 years. If guys like Dalton and Newton are playing at a high level already, why wouldn't Luck want the same opportunity?

Sorry, sitting behind any starter, be it Peyton, Brady, or anyone else, is never the preferred choice of a competitive athlete.

But Brady sat.

Young sat, Rodgers sat.

Luck will sit (for the couple of years it takes Peyton to retire).

Except when we have to pick his option up after like his second year and then that will bump his pay rate up to top 10 money in his final year. We better pray Manning is done by then or we will be crippled cap wise.

I do not even think it will be money that is the issue. It will be ego. I do not care how professional these guys are they still have egos and one of them will get hurt. I just think you are playing with fire and hoping everything just goes perfectly.

Luck is sitting there watching guys like Dalton and Cam come in right away and do a good job. You do not think his ego will be saying I can do better then them and I should be starting?

I think you either go all in on Luck or all in on Manning. If Manning is healthy trade the pick and fixes the holes that were shown by Manning missing this season. If Manning is not healthy or coming back you draft Luck and give him the keys to the car.

Could not have said it better. This is what the Colts have to do in my opinion, especially after hearing from Archie. Archie has a habit of opening his mouth. He should have kept his opinion on this polarizing topic to himself. He had to know it would stir the pot. I really think Manning's future here is based on his health and arm strength. The Colts will evaluate him from now until April and decide to let him go and take a QB or go all in with Manning and trade either the 1st pick or Luck. But remember Colts fans, Bill Polian is known for going against the grain and taking a nonpopular pick. Don't be surprised if he chooses another QB over Luck, If the Colts are not all in with Manning.

Yeah but you also have to realize that he will be playing behind the GOAT. Luck or Manning s egos might get in the way, but at the same time one hard hit and Manning could be injured again, then in comes Luck. I don't see him being the crybaby type and would expect him to play for the Colts, he would get ample preseason playing time, however I can also see your point as valid in where their might be conflict. Only time will tell.

The last time i checked Painter was playing behind the "GOAT" for a few years and how is he doing . . ? there was a thread on this site not too long ago regarding Peyton mentoring his backup and whether or not he should mentor and train his backup, and almost to a man and women colts fans on this site said "it wasn't his job" and "he need not do it" and given Painter's play perhaps he doesn't, to think tings are going to change with both players on the team, i think is a stretch . . .

But Brady sat.

Young sat, Rodgers sat.

True those three sat, but each sat behind a franchise QB and at the time they sat did not have same resume as Luck . . . Young was playing for the USFL, then with TB and was well under 0.500, had more picks that TDs, Rogers drop to the low first round and was behing a HOF QB, and TB was a 6th rounder behind Drew Bledsoe . . .

problem is Luck is a not only a #1 pick, but his pedigree has him as one of the best prospect coming out of the draft and many years . . . surely if teh colts ended up with a middle of a road 1st rounder, then sitting might not be an options . . . there have been middle to late first round QB who sat out before starting . . .

But Brady sat.

Young sat, Rodgers sat.

Brady was supposed to sit because he was a 6th round pick. He probably would have sat much longer had Bledsoe not gotten injured.

Yes, Young and Rodgers both sat but Young was a supplemental draft pick and Rodgers dropped down to the Packers. Both of them had to sit until their teams could figure out how to get rid of the predecessors.

Luck would be a number 1 overall pick sitting behind another number 1 overall pick who, if healthy, can still play at a high level for 4+ years. I don't think this situation has ever occurred before.

Here's a link to an article where Archie Manning gives his take on Peyton/Andrew together:

http://profootballta...mmates/related/

Doesn't sound like he thinks it would work. That's too bad for those of us fans who are hoping for the best of both worlds. Oh well, I guess it's best not to fret over those things we cannot control. Let's just keep hoping and praying for a speedy FULL recovery for our main man Peyton.

I wouldnt mind having Andrew Luck but he will take years to develop. I would just HATE to see Peyton (as much as any other Colts player) in a different uniform...I would rather see him retire but he loves football too much

" I'm better than Dalton therefore I should be starting....over Peyton Manning"

That's not having a big ego....that's being delusional

rotfl this made me laugh. So true. Yeah, Luck is better than Cam Newton...but Cam Newton had to beat out Jimmy Clausen for the starting QB role while Luck has to beat out Peyton.

I don't really know if the owner has any say or not and if someone does please enlighten me. Don't start on the Polian's just tell me what owners have the right to do in situations like this one that will be coming up.

The owner has ULTIMATE say.

I recently read a story from several years ago where during the draft the Colts were trying to decide between taking Dallas Clark and a D-Lineman. Polian asked Dungy what he thought and Dungy was pressing for the D-lineman, but then said lets ask Jim Irsay. The story goes that they asked Irsay who replied something to the effect of "take whomever you think will make the team better, but if it were me making the pick I'd take Dallas Clark.". Dungy then turned to Polian and said "Okay then, I guess were taking Dallas Clark."

Owner has final say.

But Brady sat.

Young sat, Rodgers sat.

ummm you can't really compare Brady to this. He was thought at best to be a back up QB. No one knew what the Pats had when they drafted him and if Beldsoe had never gotten hurt they might have never found out.

Young was in the 80's early 90's it's a very different world now than it was then in the NFL.

Rodgers is probably the best bet to help your case but even then he was coming off a situation where he was thought to maybe be the first over all pick and slide and slide till he feel in the Packers laps by the fact that something like 25 teams passed on him he didn't have much leverage to even try to force a trade out of Green Bay if he had wanted too.

One last question, and I don't know the answer , but I keep hearing "best QB prospect in years"... What prospect "number/level" was Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning? I've heard not sure it's true but wasn't Leaf a "higher prospect" then Manning?

Of course Manning isn't the "answer for next 10 years... If our ONLY problem with team was our QB spot I'd understand grabbing a QB with first pick, and fill some other "holes", but the other holes is 3/4 the team only makes sense to trade to get as many picks to fill all the holes... I can't see how trading Manning which we know how he handles playing on NFL level for someone we have no clue how they play on NFL level... If we was trading today Manning for another QB like (just throwing out a name Rodgers) who's shown ability at NFL level then that trade would at least have some what logic... Luck is a gamble, sorry I like seeing proof before gamble

Leaf had more upside and better arm, people afraid Manning already peaked, but was netter at that point in time by slime m,argin if remember correctly and had the Manning Pedigree

here is peytons Draft scouting profile,

its from my direct colts profile page so no original link,

However as noted its from CNN/SI War Room Value Board: ,

it's eerily similar to Lucks save for luck being a better scrambler

PRE DRAFT SCOUTING

CNN/SI War Room Value Board:

Limited Upside

May Not Have Hall Of Fame Skills

No Gun For An Arm

Potential Flaws

Manning is probably the most prepared QB to enter the NFL draft in several years.. He has had a storybook college career, and has been in a top level program with excellent coaching, and he has maturity and great intangibles to go along with his natural skills.. He should be able to pick up the mental aspects of the game early on the NFL level, and should play very quickly. He has great overall field vision. He is a fierce competitor, and all of his mechanics are very solid. He has good arm strength, but not necessarily a “gun” that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft.. He has adequate mobility and good overall AA, although he is not a scrambler by nature. He has done an excellent job of getting the most out of his abilities, but he is not quite as natural a player as Leaf. One question that some NFL scouts have is the question “will he get any better?”. At times he gives the appearance of being a self-made player, and sometimes those types of players don’t always go on to great NFL careers. In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills, but it certainly won’t be for lack of effort.. He has probably been the most scouted player in the draft in recent years, and because that NFL teams tend to look too much at potential flaws, instead of accepting him for what he is, a great college QB that is on his way to an outstanding NFL career.

Also, at what point does Archie need to let his 35 and 30 year old son fight their own battles?

Do you think it's possible that this was a message from Manning that he didn't feel he could deliver himself for PR reasons? Maybe he would rather not have to try to carry an 0-12 team to the playoffs every year.

After listening to the interview on several different news feeds, I think this again is the news media taking one comment of Archie's and blowing it way out of proportion. Archie stammered as he answered and was not as definitive as these news stories seem to indicate. It sounded more like "well maybe this is the way these guys think" instead of "this is what's happening". Much can be read into it. Maybe Archie is just a regular parent like the rest of us who sometimes imposes his own feelings onto his sons. As it is, these were more like "maybe" thoughts rather than "for sure". I felt better about the whole mess after actually hearing Archie rather than reading the news media's blown up take. Again though, these are all things none of us, including the Polians, have any control over ie how Peyton and Andrew feel about the situation, and therefore thankfully not for us to decide. GO COLTS. and by the way, GO HOOSIERS beat Kentucky and show the world that Indiana sports are not dead, even when the Colts are 0-12.

Do you think it's possible that this was a message from Manning that he didn't feel he could deliver himself for PR reasons? Maybe he would rather not have to try to carry an 0-12 team to the playoffs every year.

Yes, I do actually. In fact I think it's more than possible.

Also, Archie is supposed to be on Mike and Mike in a little bit to talk about this again.

So yeah, I definitely think this was intentional to provoke a certain response.

I'm also starting to understand the anger San Diego fans have towards Archie and Eli.

I think Archie addressed his comments rather nicely on the Mike and Mike show. From what I was seeing, what he said today was it. He just meant that both Peyton and Luck should be playing next year, not Luck sitting on the bench, because he feels that Luck can start next year for any team. Even the Colts. He also felt that if Peyton can play, he is going to play and even said, Peyton has a great history with the Colts and Irsay.

I think Archie addressed his comments rather nicely on the Mike and Mike show. From what I was seeing, what he said today was it. He just meant that both Peyton and Luck should be playing next year, not Luck sitting on the bench, because he feels that Luck can start next year for any team. Even the Colts. He also felt that if Peyton can play, he is going to play and even said, Peyton has a great history with the Colts and Irsay.

I have a personal feeling that he and Peyton had a discussion last night after all this came out. JMO of course.