Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archie Manning's Take On Andrew And Peyton Co-Existing (Merge)

Hoosier Colts Fan

Here's a link to an article where Archie Manning gives his take on Peyton/Andrew together:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/06/archie-manning-doubts-that-peyton-and-andrew-luck-want-to-be-teammates/related/

Doesn't sound like he thinks it would work. That's too bad for those of us fans who are hoping for the best of both worlds. Oh well, I guess it's best not to fret over those things we cannot control. Let's just keep hoping and praying for a speedy FULL recovery for our main man Peyton.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't read too much into this because Archie is taking the view of most people who don't think Luck would want to come here. He's going to want to play. Clearly he has more inside information on Peyton than any of us but frankly that doesn't matter here because if they are both here Peyton is going to be the one starting so that's not really the issue. So he's guessing how Luck would take it probably based on what he knows about his sons and himself. It's an educated guess no guess but by no means does it mean it's a lock Luck wont come here. He did go out of his way to say that Peyton and Luck do like each other and that Peyton has tried to mentor Luck at his camp so we'll see what Luck will do. There are still a lot of moving parts in this whole thing and we probably aren't going to know what is going to happen till right around draft time.

I don't think this is good news, but Archie isn't really doing anyone any favors by talking about Peyton's situation if Peyton won't.

I don't really think it's news, I just think it's Archie's opinion. I'd be more concerned if this was Luck's dad saying this. Archie's son is going to start if he's on the same team with Luck.

Pretty good piece right there and i also agree with him BUT i dont think it will be Luck who will be asking for a trade... it already sounds like luck is set on the team he will be playing for.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nfl/colts/andrew-luck-ready-become-member-indianapolis-colts

After seeing the pats game on sunday its evident what the colts problem is... and it isnt lack of talent on offense.

It's interesting how everyone seems to have an opinion on this issue. But when it comes down to it, the only opinion that matters is the Colts GM and owner. If they want to draft Luck and keep Manning then that is what they will do and given the professionalism in both men, I don't believe you will see an issue at all.

It's interesting how everyone seems to have an opinion on this issue. But when it comes down to it, the only opinion that matters is the Colts GM and owner. If they want to draft Luck and keep Manning then that is what they will do and given the professionalism in both men, I don't believe you will see an issue at all.

.... where there's money involved there will always be an issue.

There is no money issue. If drafted Luck will make the max he can make and Peyton is making the max and both will be paid. Money for them is not an issue.

surely the money to the players is not an issue, but the salary cap will be the issue . . .

The number 1 pick will get X amount no matter whom it is.

Except when we have to pick his option up after like his second year and then that will bump his pay rate up to top 10 money in his final year. We better pray Manning is done by then or we will be crippled cap wise.

I do not even think it will be money that is the issue. It will be ego. I do not care how professional these guys are they still have egos and one of them will get hurt. I just think you are playing with fire and hoping everything just goes perfectly.

Luck is sitting there watching guys like Dalton and Cam come in right away and do a good job. You do not think his ego will be saying I can do better then them and I should be starting?

I think you either go all in on Luck or all in on Manning. If Manning is healthy trade the pick and fixes the holes that were shown by Manning missing this season. If Manning is not healthy or coming back you draft Luck and give him the keys to the car.

Pretty good piece right there and i also agree with him BUT i dont think it will be Luck who will be asking for a trade... it already sounds like luck is set on the team he will be playing for.

http://www.opposingv...ianapolis-colts

After seeing the pats game on sunday its evident what the colts problem is... and it isnt lack of talent on offense.

I'm not sure how valid that article is, here is another article that states he's ready to come out even mentions the same statement but just without the Indianapolis Colts reference. He states, "if a football team will have me instead of, if the Indianapolis Colts team will have me."

Source:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/12/stanford-andrew-luck-enter-nfl-draft-junior/1

Except when we have to pick his option up after like his second year and then that will bump his pay rate up to top 10 money in his final year. We better pray Manning is done by then or we will be crippled cap wise.

I do not even think it will be money that is the issue. It will be ego. I do not care how professional these guys are they still have egos and one of them will get hurt. I just think you are playing with fire and hoping everything just goes perfectly.

Luck is sitting there watching guys like Dalton and Cam come in right away and do a good job. You do not think his ego will be saying I can do better then them and I should be starting?

I think you either go all in on Luck or all in on Manning. If Manning is healthy trade the pick and fixes the holes that were shown by Manning missing this season. If Manning is not healthy or coming back you draft Luck and give him the keys to the car.

Yeah but you also have to realize that he will be playing behind the GOAT. Luck or Manning s egos might get in the way, but at the same time one hard hit and Manning could be injured again, then in comes Luck. I don't see him being the crybaby type and would expect him to play for the Colts, he would get ample preseason playing time, however I can also see your point as valid in where their might be conflict. Only time will tell.

I'm not sure how valid that article is, here is another article that states he's ready to come out even mentions the same statement but just without the Indianapolis Colts reference. He states, "if a football team will have me instead of, if the Indianapolis Colts team will have me."

Source:

http://content.usato...-draft-junior/1

I think that other article was doctored up a bit because I couldn't see him naming a team in particular. Thanks for the correct article.

There is no money issue. If drafted Luck will make the max he can make and Peyton is making the max and both will be paid. Money for them is not an issue.

Actually there could be money issues, meaning so much tied to one position for 4 years.

Peyton isn't making the max, he left money on the table so that Polian could retain players and go out and get some more. I doubt that conversation included a 1st round quarterback.

Money is an issue mate, especially with peyton.. he could force the colts hand in many ways... it very well could be for luck as well in how that contract will be configured and how he would get that money guaranteed or not...

Kravitz says they can't coexist. Archie says they can't coexist. Polian says they can coexist and that Peyton agreed with him. Peyton said he never talked to Polian about that. Dungy says Peyton doesn't like change and that he would either play for the Colts or likely quit. This is messed up.

Source:

http://content.usato...-draft-junior/1

Yea looking at the profootball link right now and that link i posted was doctored,

We can't pass on Luck regardless. Peyton is only the short term answer Luck is the long term answer.

These comments amaze me the most we throw Manning away after all he has done for someone we are not sure how they would play on an NFL level???? How are you so positive Luck is long term answer? What if Luck is a flop in NFL, what if Luck is "un-lucky", and has a career ending injury in first pre-season game? By the way since you know for sure with no doubt the "future" of the Colts is 100% better only in Luck's hands, will you please also read the future and give us the winning loto numbers for Wednesday's picks?

Don't be surprised if Luck pulls an Eli or John Elway.

He's supposedly the most NFL-ready QB in 15 years. If guys like Dalton and Newton are playing at a high level already, why wouldn't Luck want the same opportunity?

Sorry, sitting behind any starter, be it Peyton, Brady, or anyone else, is never the preferred choice of a competitive athlete.

These comments amaze me the most we throw Manning away after all he has done for someone we are not sure how they would play on an NFL level???? How are you so positive Luck is long term answer? What if Luck is a flop in NFL, what if Luck is "un-lucky", and has a career ending injury in first pre-season game? By the way since you know for sure with no doubt the "future" of the Colts is 100% better only in Luck's hands, will you please also read the future and give us the winning loto numbers for Wednesday's picks?

First I never threw Manning under the bus. He's at the end of his career even IF he comes back 100%. I hope he does but we have to think about the future NOW unless we want more seasons like this one. Second I never said Luck was a sure thing (nobody is)but he's the best QB prospect to come along in a long time. You can't pass on that. We have all seen first hand how important a franchise QB can be. The Colts will just have to find a way for them to co-exist until Peyton is done.(if he isn't already done)

First I never threw Manning under the bus. He's at the end of his career even IF he comes back 100%. I hope he does but we have to think about the future NOW unless we want more seasons like this one. Second I never said Luck was a sure thing (nobody is)but he's the best QB prospect to come along in a long time. You can't pass on that. We have all seen first hand how important a franchise QB can be. The Colts will just have to find a way for them to co-exist until Peyton is done.(if he isn't already done)

Oops sorry for re-posting your response.... Okay let's go with your logic (grab Luck so we don't have same kind of year)... Obviously this year showed we have more problems then a QB... We have a shot at trading luck to get more picks to address the bigger issue... If we only address QB with luck, what if luck isn't answer for replacement of Manning? What if Luck gets hurt??? To me only addressing QB replacement seals the deal of repeating a season like this if Luck is a flop, or injured

One last question, and I don't know the answer , but I keep hearing "best QB prospect in years"... What prospect "number/level" was Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning? I've heard not sure it's true but wasn't Leaf a "higher prospect" then Manning?

Of course Manning isn't the "answer for next 10 years... If our ONLY problem with team was our QB spot I'd understand grabbing a QB with first pick, and fill some other "holes", but the other holes is 3/4 the team only makes sense to trade to get as many picks to fill all the holes... I can't see how trading Manning which we know how he handles playing on NFL level for someone we have no clue how they play on NFL level... If we was trading today Manning for another QB like (just throwing out a name Rodgers) who's shown ability at NFL level then that trade would at least have some what logic... Luck is a gamble, sorry I like seeing proof before gamble

For those in the viewing area channel 13 news is getting ready to show an interview with Archie.

I imagine we will hear all kinds of stories between now and the draft in April. I for one am getting tired of them already so I know I will be really tired of them in a few months down the road. I don't think anyone really knows what will happen in the draft and won't know anything until that day comes around. I listen to channel 13 until Kravitz is on then I change channels because they act like Kravitz is the god of football. I have always thought that Kravitz has always talked out of both sides his mouth and I don't take anything seriously that he has to say. I can see why the colts organization doesn't like to talk to any of the media because they always turn things around to what they want. JMO of course. I guess we will see in April. April will be the magic month. :rolleyes:

Edited by Susie Q

trade down take more get more picks Draft Robert Griffin III he can sit behind Peyton I dont think they know each other

I would honestly have no problem with that if we could rip someone off, get more picks + Griffin or Barkley (pending on if they come out), + maybe even more picks next year.

Very true SusieQ but this was what Archie said in an interview by the Zack and Jack radio show:

No. I don't think it would necessarily be great for either one of them.

We know Andrew, he comes down to our camp every year. I always hear from his dad. He lives in NY, I heard from him last night.

So you know Peyton has always tried to help Andrew and be a friend, but I doubt if either one of them wanta' play on the same team.

Yea I know this is what Archie said but I personally think he should just stay out of it. I can't imagine Peyton being to happy about his father talking to the media about how he would feel. I think when the time is right we all will know what Peyton thinks about all of this. From what Peyton has said he is just trying to get healthy. If he is 100% and the colts want to take a chance with a rookie then they can release Peyton and he can play for another team. I know Luck is supposed to be the best QB in ages but until he takes a snap in the NFL I for one don't know if he's the best. . He is good but we have seen other QB's that were supposed to be great and some were and others were not. Hopefully all works out in the end and everyone's happy but that will never happen. No matter what decision is made there will be some that don't like it but Mr Irsay owns this team and will also have some say in the matter I would think. I don't really know if the owner has any say or not and if someone does please enlighten me. Don't start on the Polian's just tell me what owners have the right to do in situations like this one that will be coming up.

Archie isn't going to say anything that Peyton isn't 150% comfortable with. It is as simple as that.

Sorry not sure I agree with you on that one. Just like when their children were born they were not saying anything then Peyton's mother posted on facebook about the twins and I'm not too sure that was taken well since it was being kept such a closed topic. So I 'm not sure Peyton is 100% on board with Archie talking to the media but I could be wrong or you could be wrong so we just have different opinions and that's what a forum is for. Right ?

Archie isn't going to say anything that Peyton isn't 150% comfortable with. It is as simple as that.

Exactly this isn't BIll Polian sayings what's best for the team this is Peyton's dad and frankly the Mannings have proven to be very smart and I am sure Peyton and Archie on the same page about what they are getting out there. The afternoon guy on WNDE thinks this is this part of Manning's plan to start laying the seed to get out of Indianapolis.