Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Plenty Of Cap Room?

BProland85

If the 28 million dollars is not picked up for Peyton which is very likely at this point, we should have the most cap space we've had in some time, since I dont think we resign Wayne either. Who are some guys you think we might/should target?

-Id like to give Luck talent around him to give him a better chance of being successful. (I would love to see us target a TE like JerMichael Finley since he is only 24 and can be a top target for Luck for many years.)

-Other guys other than Finley Id like us to target are OG Jeremy Zuttah from Tampa Bay, resign Robert Mathis, and SS LaRon Landry.

from my understanding we will NOT have much cap room free up this season per the Manning contract. you would not see much in cap savings until next year.

Which is fine. If Manning is done, I say let both Wayne and Mathis go. Then we get the Compenation picks the next year. Build through the draft and then, when we are in striking distance in 2 or 3 years take advantage of the cap space and sign a few free agents.

That said, if the absalutely right guy is available earlier than that, it would be stupid to pass on him.

They would not be paying the 28 million dollar option though, right? I just think there is some cap penalty that is still substantial next year.

We need someone smarter to explain this

I dont think there would be a cap penalty for not paying that bonus, as for his anaual salary i believe there would be a small penalty... here's a pretty good link talking about if the colts dont pay the 28 mil.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111202/SPORTS03/112020322/Colts-face-defining-decisions-Peyton-Manning-No-1-draft-pick

I dont think there would be a cap penalty for not paying that bonus, as for his anaual salary i believe there would be a small penalty... here's a pretty good link talking about if the colts dont pay the 28 mil.

http://www.indystar....No-1-draft-pick

Awesome link..thanks for posting. So assuming all the numbers are accurate the Colts can:

Keep Manning, and he counts for $17 million towards the cap

release Manning, and he counts for $10.4 million towards the cap

trade Manning, and he counts for $38.4 million towards the cap (because all guaranteed bonuses become due at once instead of spread over the duration of the contract).

So that's why people are saying the Colts can't trade Manning based on the current contract. I understood the idea behind saying we can't trade Manning but hadn't seen any numbers.

Awesome link..thanks for posting. So assuming all the numbers are accurate the Colts can:

Keep Manning, and he counts for $17 million towards the cap

release Manning, and he counts for $10.4 million towards the cap

trade Manning, and he counts for $38.4 million towards the cap (because all guaranteed bonuses become due at once instead of spread over the duration of the contract).

So that's why people are saying the Colts can't trade Manning based on the current contract. I understood the idea behind saying we can't trade Manning but hadn't seen any numbers.

Yea trading manning would be insanely expensive, unless manning wants the team he's going to, to pick up that check and let the colts get away with some talent which i doubt he would do or much less that team... the best option IF peyton instils some doubt regardless of his OK from the doctors would be to release him. right now im starting to think with a good defense in place the colts dont need peyton to win...

Now i might get some fire for that but look at what the colts were able to do with a capable QB.. as hard as it is to start believing it the colts need to rebuild... peyton or luck.

the point is...what good defense? we dont have one.

im all for manning restructuring, but would we he want to (lets suppose he gets healthy)?. I think we should keep him

Thats the thing "with a good defense" the colts would be a pretty darn good team, with peyton or without him... no doubt they would be a much better team if they had him but without him and with someone like Luck or Matt Barkley and with the colts focusing on the defense the colts would be a pretty good team.

Thats the thing "with a good defense" the colts would be a pretty darn good team, with peyton or without him... no doubt they would be a much better team if they had him but without him and with someone like Luck or Matt Barkley and with the colts focusing on the defense the colts would be a pretty good team.

Why do we have to release Manning to create a good defense again? If anything keeping Manning and opting out of the Luck selection would give us more picks to make the defense better faster. We are a "pretty darn good team" with Peyton regardless of the talent. He literally takes a 0-16 potential team and turns them into a 16-0 potential team, with the horrible defense, special teams and Oline we are seeing now. I have seen nothing this year that would lead me to believe that we don't need Manning, and the win column agrees with me unfortunately.

Why do we have to release Manning to create a good defense again? If anything keeping Manning and opting out of the Luck selection would give us more picks to make the defense better faster. We are a "pretty darn good team" with Peyton regardless of the talent. He literally takes a 0-16 potential team and turns them into a 16-0 potential team, with the horrible defense, special teams and Oline we are seeing now. I have seen nothing this year that would lead me to believe that we don't need Manning, and the win column agrees with me unfortunately.

With peyton the colts are a formidable team, in the post season the colts just fizzle away because they dont have good defense.. but your right trading down in the draft would be much better while keeping manning BUT we all know that most likely wont happen.... the colts will draft luck and keep him.. question is will they keep both peyton and luck or let peyton go... its starting to look like peyton will be the one to leave.

Ok fellas, I have created an account to help pull some of your heads out! For all of you already talking about rebuilding already, and acting as if Luck is a proven NFL QB, not saying he is probably not going to be good, but then again there are so many other QB's coming out of college that are the next great thing that amount to nothing. And even worse considering a team without Peyton, if anything this year has taught us is that Peyton's talent and leadership can't be replaced, he is the heart of the colts, and carried them for years, overcomming a porrus defense, defensive coach's included, and shaky O-lines. He is just that good and not even close to replaceable. Take out Brady for the year, still get 10 wins, great coaching and supporting cast, take out Peyton and well.... If the colts had even a mediocre defense they would have won multiple Super Bowls over the years, good ol' Rodney Harrison has mentioned this many times to Tony D on Sunday nights. How many games did Peyton win when only having the ball 30% of the time because the D gave up long sustaininig drives, then he had 3 min before the half or end of the game to come back and score, every team in the league succeeded at keeping Peyton on the bench. Many other things need to be in place first, not just a rookie QB. I can't believe anybody thinks the colts could be a good team with a new defense. True the defense is pretty bad, but it is not all on the D's shoulders. It is not the D's fault the offense can't make a drive, it has been 1 big play to score or a 3 and out (most of the time), I have not missed a colts game since 2000, watched every play, including this year. They can't bail out the offense for throwing a pick, way too many fumbles, and short drives. The D has almost played a whole game by half time. Now the D has simply given up, nothing to play for, the offense can't move the ball. With that said the D is not off the hook, the secondary is HORRIBLE, the coaching, play calling and player alignment. There has been multiple 3rd & more than 15 yards to go and they give up two yards more than needed for a 1st down. This is the same for almost every 3rd down, if it is 7 yards they are giving a 9 yard cushion, a simple quick in on the sticks results in a first down, you could not count how many times the last 8+ years this has happened, it is a joke. This is a direct result of the COACHES! and the protection they call, the defense they run. Sure they rarely give up the big play, but they have always allowed teams to drive all the way down the field and score, what is the theory behing that?? They still have always given up a ton of points. How many passes are completed then tackled by 3 or more players? Why can't they just cover someone, anyone? and not let them catch it. The coaching and the secondary is the problem, not stopping the run, they can't stop the run because everyone is in coverage, it takes 3 of our guys to cover one of thiers. Another note, how many LB's are they going to develop then let go to another team, everyone has gone besides Bracket, how could they let Session go? a big fast guy, that could handle his own against an O-lineman. Think about it, the year they "stopped the run" Rob Morris was inserted at Outside Backer not a DL, a big strong guy who could penetrate the gap, fill the hole, and brush off linemen. With that being said, they better not let Angerer go, one of the best young backers in the league. Get a Clay Mathews / Suggs type guy to play along side him, even just one shutdown corner, someone that can cover. and a coach that knows what a BLITZ is instead of just sitting back and getting picked apart, they could "rebuild" with 3 guys and a decent coach. They have been rebuilding the defense for years, Peyton has just covered it up. Back to Peyton, the future is now, and he is the future, if they have to have Luck, he can sit back and learn for a few years, or they can trade that pick for some proven defensive players. They can't replace the whole defense and offense, Peyton fills MULTIPLE holes, and can while they slowly replace and build players and still be successful. Peyton is the best QB to maybe ever play the game and with him and a little change on defense they could win 5 more Super Bowls. Or they can get too drunk trying to forget this season and let him go, sit back "rebuild" and hope they are successful again sometime in the near future, that seems like a pretty big risk to take.

That Luck is unproven is obvious and hardly needs stated. That is also true of every single player in the draft. I don't get the logic of believing that trading the first pick for multiple picks is going to magically transform the defense. Building the defense solely through the draft hasn't exactly paid huge dividends thus far. Are a couple of higher picks going to make all the difference? Or is having cap room going to change the long-standing tradition of avoiding top-tier free agents? I might could get behind that, but I'm not optimistic.

That Luck is unproven is obvious and hardly needs stated. That is also true of every single player in the draft. I don't get the logic of believing that trading the first pick for multiple picks is going to magically transform the defense. Building the defense solely through the draft hasn't exactly paid huge dividends thus far. Are a couple of higher picks going to make all the difference? Or is having cap room going to change the long-standing tradition of avoiding top-tier free agents? I might could get behind that, but I'm not optimistic.

Sorry,

I did not mean, trade the draft pick for multiple picks. I was referring to trading the draft pick for multiple proven defensive players. You are right the draft has not worked out for us building the defense, so we would not trade the coveted pick for more picks, trade it for players. We would then have the 1st pick in also the 2nd and 3rd round, which is about the highest pick they have had for 8 years always picking next to last. There are teams out there in dire need of a QB who have defenses that win all of thier games for them, this trade could help both teams involved.

Sorry,

I did not mean, trade the draft pick for multiple picks. I was referring to trading the draft pick for multiple proven defensive players. You are right the draft has not worked out for us building the defense, so we would not trade the coveted pick for more picks, trade it for players. We would then have the 1st pick in also the 2nd and 3rd round, which is about the highest pick they have had for 8 years always picking next to last. There are teams out there in dire need of a QB who have defenses that win all of thier games for them, this trade could help both teams involved.

i agree completely with your first post. I agree that we could trade the picks we get for proven defensive players. I still think we should draft defensive players because there are a ton of great d players in this draft.

Wisky motivated me to make an account too. Fan since the Baltimore days, having grown up in Maryland, and I've seen plenty of 3-13, and plenty of wins through the years. Today you draft Luck, because Manning isn't healthy. In April, that might be different. If Manning is healthy by March and the bonus, I would trade the first pick period. I agree with Wisky. If Manning is healthy you can't have Luck sit. And the escalating money to Manning means trading him is cap-impossible. So I think you must pick one or the other, and if Manning is healthy, and can play for even just three more years, my vote is Manning over Luck. What we know versus promise, hope, hype, college talent. I live within an easy drive of Stanford, so get every game on local tv. Luck is good, without a ton of supporting weapons. But I don't see another Manning in the making. I just don't. He is very good, he may well be one of the best in his era. But if Manning is healthy, we know what he is, what he's done, and where he ranks all time. The Colts might get four or five picks for Luck, maybe more. I hope they trade the pick, Manning is healthy, and they find starters and depth in the picks they get for Luck. The Colts are two years away from drafting the successor in my opinion. Unless Manning can't play. If Manning is done, I draft Luck and rebuild it all again, as they did around Manning.

I don't think this is a question of cap space. I heard the other day it would cost the Colts MORE to trade the pick and get more players to pay than it would cost them to just take Luck. I think it's a question of will Andrew Luck be okay with sitting behind Manning?

that maybe true, but im not sure of it...anyways if its true, the difference is that we wouldnt have all that cap space tied to 1 position and one player, it would mean more cap room taken but for several positions where they can contribute.