Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Is The Most Important Free Agent In 2012?

jskinnz

@Chad- Point blank I want a trade down and don't want Luck.. I agree that draft isn't a sure thing, but the boy Ingram can do it all! I like him because the S. Car Defense isn't known for being this shut down defense, and with nobody opposite of him, he produces tremendously! I also want a 4-3 Under Defense, so even if Ingram didn't pan out, he still stops the run well, and could be the defensive end next to the SAM Linebacker on the LOS, who blitzes and drops into coverage!

Unfortunately, I do not see the Browns giving up their 1st rounders. Mike Holmgren knows he needs several pieces to get his Browns back in contention and he worked hard to get these two first rounders, so he will use them to add quality pieces for his team (or) as he has done before, trade down than trade up. If Holmgren thinks Luck is once in a lifetime talent to move up and give up his 2 first rounders, why won't Bill Polian do the same when all he has to do is draft Luck standing pat? That does not make sense to me, neither of them are fools in the eyes of this fan. Manning returning or playing past a few years is no sure thing. Whenever we had picks in the top 11, we stood pat and took Peyton (No.1 in 1998), Edge (No.4 in 1999), and Freeney (No.11 in 2002). Our history says we stand pat.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How in the world is Pierre Garcon the #1 concern? Hes not even the #1 WR, let alone being the 'main' concern of the entire offseason. The Dwight Freeny Syndrome strikes again. We see two good plays in meaningless moments of a game, and use those to rationalize the medicority of 10 other no shows.

Im not asking for superstar production, but a guy with no seasons over 6 tds or a thousand yards, combined with a slight diva problem, and at times has questionable hands? This is who you think your franchise should focus in on?!?!!? Come on man...............

I promise you I have not made my assertion on Garcon as the # 1 FA priority soley based off what he did in the Pats game.

It is a combination of:

* his relative youth compared to others (Mathis, Wayne, Saturday)

* his increased production

* his big play ability

* the fact that his #'s are improved in this crappy year

* the unsettled state of Colts receivers as a whole

So you think Wayne is still the # 1 receiver?

Garcon has been good this year. Resign him.

Tamme is solid! Clark has proven himself replaceable and made of glass.

Saturday knows Manning inside and out. Whens the last time you saw jeff and Peyton have a slip up? Keep him!

mathis.. debateable.

wayne depends on how much money he wants. He has transitioned into a role like Hines Ward has with the steelers.

the rest can pack their bags.. see ya.

Surround Colt McCoy with talent when he is no talent himself? Holmgreen doesn't trade up and Polian does this, and Cincy's Owner is tight and wouldn't give up Carson but he sure did.. Bro anything can happen at any given time, its about the VALUE that someone can see in an individual. Manning should be back, and fresh after a year off, and stronger after that surgery, he doesn't take big shots, why wouldn't he be able to play a minimum of four more years? Cleveland also has a large amount of Cap room they need to spend, it would be wiser for them to get skilled position players, and defensive players set to make an immediate impact in free agency, and trade your draft picks for your "Franchise QB" than to draft all your pieces, and use your money in free agency on a QB? That franchise QB doesn't exist out there in free agency! But the other pieces they need RB/WR and some defensive pieces like Mathis a pass rusher that the team needs do exist!

I promise you I have not made my assertion on Garcon as the # 1 FA priority soley based off what he did in the Pats game.

It is a combination of:

* his big play ability

Gotta agree here. If I have to choose between Wayne and Garcon I'm picking Garcon.

And yeah, age is a HUGE factor in that decision.

Surround Colt McCoy with talent when he is no talent himself?

If their second 1st round pick is earlier than 20, they will have a shot at Landry Jones or some other quality QB, IMO. So, they don't have to chase Luck. The whole premise of giving up their 2 first rounders is because you feel they will chase Luck (not me). Yes, they may need a QB but it does not mean that they HAVE to have Luck. When they needed a nose tackle for their 4-3, they traded back into the first round with the Chiefs to get Phil Taylor at No.21 ahead of us in the previous draft and we chose Castanzo at No.22. They can trade up but not at the cost of too much value.

It is a combination of:

* his big play ability

Im not debating any of those. He is young compared to others, he has increased production (albeit down by 3+tds a game), his big play ability etc. All those aren't things I debate one iota. What I do debate however is the VALUE of those traits, and the compensation he is going to want. No I don't believe Reggie to be the #1 anymore, I have been lambasted here before for stating last year Reggie wasnt a #1.

But you are saying you want the team to focus on someone (Garcon) who, although has improved, will never be legit factor. Do I think Garcon has a future, sure do, but never in a million years should a team 'focus' on what I consider to be at best, a #2 WR.

Im not saying I want to sign these guys, but some other FA Wrs include Welker, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Desean, VJax, Stevie Johnson, Colston, Wayne, Brandon Lloyd, Manningham, Braylon, S.Smith(Phi), Branch. All of whom have clearly outproduced Garcon, none of them having the benefit of #18.

Definitely Jacob Lacey is the most important free agent they need to resign. His skills as a shut down corner are unmatched. His awareness to get to jump on an opponent are good for atleast 6 INTs A year. He can force fumbles & even blitz the QB. There is no way our defense would thrive without this guy, Lacey Island baby!!! You have to resign the NFLs most valuable CB and MVP of the league. I don't think any receiver has ever even got past him, period, print, and resign.

Jacob Lacey attacks sharks when he smells them bleed.

Their are millions of people in the World of Warcraft because Jacob Lacey let's them live.

Jacob Laceys tears cure cancer, unfortunately he never cries.

Jacob Lacey doesn't go swimming, water just wants to be around him.

Their are no sign of life on Mars, that's because Jacob Lacey exterminated them millions of years ago.

If I am right, this has been Garcon's best year of production and he has done it without #18 :).

Its very true, it is his best year, which is somewhat the point. This guys best year will be roughly 75rec/1097/yds/8tds? Thats if he catches 5 balls a game the rest of the year for his avg and 2 more TDs. The passing league this is becoming those are nearly comical stats from a #1, and he's already 26 the peak isnt going to get much higher. I just don't see a whole lot more coming from this guy.

Also, as a statiistical note comparing Reggie to Pierre. Reggie wasn't ever the 'TD guy', but Reggie averaged a TD every 2.6 games. Pierre every 4.25. But I think that just illustrates what everyone here knows, that Reggie was/is a poss. WR, and Pierre was/is a 'big play' (ie 3 good games a yr) WR.

Its very true, it is his best year, which is somewhat the point. This guys best year will be roughly 75rec/1097/yds/8tds? Thats if he catches 5 balls a game the rest of the year for his avg and 2 more TDs. The passing league this is becoming those are nearly comical stats from a #1, and he's already 26 the peak isnt going to get much higher. I just don't see a whole lot more coming from this guy.

Not much more coming from him? If he had a competent QB, you don't see his #'s improving?

Also, as a statiistical note comparing Reggie to Pierre. Reggie wasn't ever the 'TD guy', but Reggie averaged a TD every 2.6 games. Pierre every 4.25. But I think that just illustrates what everyone here knows, that Reggie was/is a poss. WR, and Pierre was/is a 'big play' (ie 3 good games a yr) WR.

I am trying to be respectful in my disagreements with you but the comment that Garcon is a "3 good games a year" WR is ridiculous.

Not much more coming from him? If he had a competent QB, you don't see his #'s improving?

I'm somewhat torn on this. Its such a weird year. I mean a Brandon Flowers broken play, and a 31-3 beat down by NE, counts for 1/2 of Garcons TDs and 1/3rd of his yards. Not holding that against him, but it is what it is. Always being down=throwing more, but we are down b/c we have a bad QB, so as I said, Im not sure how to 'take' this season.

I am trying to be respectful in my disagreements with you but the comment that Garcon is a "3 good games a year" WR is ridiculous.

And thats fine if you disagree with me, to each his own, but it really isn't too ridiculous. He's gotten 32% of his career yards, and 43% of his career TDs in 6 games.

Look, I like Pierre, I hope he sticks around, and continues to grow here in Indy, he's a good WR, and someone I want on 'my' team. But it is impossible for me to say that Pierre is the #1 signing concern this offseason.

I'm somewhat torn on this. Its such a weird year. I mean a Brandon Flowers broken play, and a 31-3 beat down by NE, counts for 1/2 of Garcons TDs and 1/3rd of his yards. Not holding that against him, but it is what it is. Always being down=throwing more, but we are down b/c we have a bad QB, so as I said, Im not sure how to 'take' this season.

And thats fine if you disagree with me, to each his own, but it really isn't too ridiculous. He's gotten 32% of his career yards, and 43% of his career TDs in 6 games.

Look, I like Pierre, I hope he sticks around, and continues to grow here in Indy, he's a good WR, and someone I want on 'my' team. But it is impossible for me to say that Pierre is the #1 signing concern this offseason.

The post asked for the main priority of existing Colts players - you got that right? Not FA's from other teams.

The post asked for the main priority of existing Colts players - you got that right? Not FA's from other teams.

you completely avoided everything I said and changed direction. - You got that right?

And I distinctly said I didn't ness wanna sign any of those WR, it was just a list of other FA WR, and where Pierre fit amongst them.

you completely avoided everything I said and changed direction. - You got that right?

And I distinctly said I didn't ness wanna sign any of those WR, it was just a list of other FA WR, and where Pierre fit amongst them.

Calm down. Not trying to get into a ticking contest with you. It just seemed like your answer got off the tracks to the original point of the thread. Believe me, I am comfortable in the point I am making and not trying to avoid any of your thoughts. I suspect we will not see eye to eye on many things, not just this thread.

Im not debating any of those. He is young compared to others, he has increased production (albeit down by 3+tds a game), his big play ability etc. All those aren't things I debate one iota. What I do debate however is the VALUE of those traits, and the compensation he is going to want. No I don't believe Reggie to be the #1 anymore, I have been lambasted here before for stating last year Reggie wasnt a #1.

But you are saying you want the team to focus on someone (Garcon) who, although has improved, will never be legit factor. Do I think Garcon has a future, sure do, but never in a million years should a team 'focus' on what I consider to be at best, a #2 WR.

Im not saying I want to sign these guys, but some other FA Wrs include Welker, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Desean, VJax, Stevie Johnson, Colston, Wayne, Brandon Lloyd, Manningham, Braylon, S.Smith(Phi), Branch. All of whom have clearly outproduced Garcon, none of them having the benefit of #18.

This is the post I think where we got off the track. You think Garcon is a # 2 receiver and he has been up until this year. Most of the guys you mention as FA WR's are all clearly their QB's # 1 target. Garcon's #'s in comparison are the direct result of the quality guys around him. I guess what I am saying is that he has # 1 WR ability to me which is why he will very likely be their main target in the offseason.

I guess what I am saying is that he has # 1 WR ability to me which is why he will very likely be their main target in the offseason.

Where I get confused is where everyone 'sees' this #1 WR ability in Pierre. You yourself said you see Pierre as a #1 b/c of age,big play, and increased production. While I agree that all of those things are something Pierre posses, that does not mean to me he is a #1 WR. There are A TON of young, big play WR in the NFL, that meet your exact specifications and I consider very few of them to be #1 WR.

I really think you should take a look at a players like Jericho Cotchery, Bernard Berrian, even Josh Morgan. All similar size, and talent scope, and all were #2s on there team. Berrian went on to attempt to be a #1, and it was awful. I know Im not going to change your mind, but I think you would be surpised if you pulled up those guys and compared them to Pierre. The similarties are staggering.

Where I get confused is where everyone 'sees' this #1 WR ability in Pierre. You yourself said you see Pierre as a #1 b/c of age,big play, and increased production. While I agree that all of those things are something Pierre posses, that does not mean to me he is a #1 WR. There are A TON of young, big play WR in the NFL, that meet your exact specifications and I consider very few of them to be #1 WR.

I really think you should take a look at a players like Jericho Cotchery, Bernard Berrian, even Josh Morgan. All similar size, and talent scope, and all were #2s on there team. Berrian went on to attempt to be a #1, and it was awful. I know Im not going to change your mind, but I think you would be surpised if you pulled up those guys and compared them to Pierre. The similarties are staggering.

I don't care enough to look up anything on those guys - it means nothing to the point of the thread or my argument. I am simply very comfortable in saying that of their own free agents, Garcon will be P1 for the Colts.

I don't care enough to look up anything on those guys - it means nothing to the point of the thread or my argument.

Yeah. Comparing players of similar age, talent, size and career and finding out they aren't worth it would really hinder your argument.

Yeah. Comparing players of similar age, talent, size and career and finding out they aren't worth it would really hinder your argument.

Mother of God.

1) My point is not hindered by anything

2) If I look up Crotchery's stats, how in the world does that have anything to do with whether or not Garcon is the guy the Colts want to target to re-sign in the offseason?

Mother of God.

1) My point is not hindered by anything

2) If I look up Crotchery's stats, how in the world does that have anything to do with whether or not Garcon is the guy the Colts want to target to re-sign in the offseason?

She ain't gonna help ya.

Well if you looked and based on your ignorance I'd say you haven't, you would see that those WR were/are all in similar situations as Pierre. #2s. Same size 6-200lbs. Etc. You would see that they aren't worth squat. Let alone being the primary focus of a team in desperate need of rebuilding.

You can call Pierre a #1 all you want. It doesnt change the fact that he's not a #1.

I find it hilarious that you think after a soon to be 0-16 season the Colts #1 offseason resigning should/will be the Colts #2 WR.

I don't expect you to agree, alot of people like Pierre, I'm along them, but to think that he is some form of future star or stud wr in the rough at age 26, over 5yrs into his career ,you are sadly mistaken.

I also noticed you completely avoided this sweet little factual nugget.

She ain't gonna help ya.

Well if you looked and based on your ignorance I'd say you haven't, you would see that those WR were/are all in similar situations as Pierre. #2s. Same size 6-200lbs. Etc. You would see that they aren't worth squat. Let alone being the primary focus of a team in desperate need of rebuilding.

You can call Pierre a #1 all you want. It doesnt change the fact that he's not a #1.

I find it hilarious that you think after a soon to be 0-16 season the Colts #1 offseason resigning should/will be the Colts #2 WR.

I don't expect you to agree, alot of people like Pierre, I'm along them, but to think that he is some form of future star or stud wr in the rough at age 26, over 5yrs into his career ,you are sadly mistaken.

Wow - you went to personal insults. Interesting.

Is Reggie Wayne a # 1 receiver? Or at least was he in your view?

One more question - in the initial post I made, I listed virtually all of the Colts FA's to be in 2012. Who on that list do you think is their main priority to bring back?

One more question - in the initial post I made, I listed virtually all of the Colts FA's to be in 2012. Who on that list do you think is their main priority to bring back?

No personal insults chief.

"I don't care enough to look up anything on those guys"=ignorance. Thus making you ignorant. Still interested?

Was reg? Yea he was. And b4 you ask the difference between the twos first 4 years are 48rec. 720+yds and 7 tds.

As for the list. Obviously 18 would be #1 although he's not an option. But really I think that's who it comes down to. Assuming Peyton comes back I'd have to say the #1 would be Saturday. Peyton's had 1 constant his whole career. That's Jeff.

If no Peyton id have to go Mathis. Build with big uglies. Although Mathis isn't the biggest and ugliest by any means. Just can't lose a primo position like DE.

Was reg? Yea he was. And b4 you ask the difference between the twos first 4 years are 48rec. 720+yds and 7 tds.

As for the list. Obviously 18 would be #1 although he's not an option. But really I think that's who it comes down to. Assuming Peyton comes back I'd have to say the #1 would be Saturday. Peyton's had 1 constant his whole career. That's Jeff.

If no Peyton id have to go Mathis. Build with big uglies. Although Mathis isn't the biggest and ugliest by any means. Just can't lose a primo position like DE.

And you have called me ignorant. So your main off season priority is a 36 year old center whose best days are clearly behind him? heck, he may just retire. There is no other way to say other than that is simply wrong. He may even be back in 2012 but it will be under a 1 year contract and signed after they lock up other players, such as Garcon.

I will listen to anyone who insists Mathis is P1, but Saturday? Just no.

And you have called me ignorant. So your main off season priority is a 36 year old center whose best days are clearly behind him? heck, he may just retire. There is no other way to say other than that is simply wrong. He may even be back in 2012 but it will be under a 1 year contract and signed after they lock up other players, such as Garcon.

I will listen to anyone who insists Mathis is P1, but Saturday? Just no.

I expected this and that's fine. But as I mentioned it's only for the fact if Manning comes back. . It would be my assumption that Manning would be more comfortable taking all the snaps from Jeff and throwing 7 balls at a random Wr . Rather than Manning taking all snaps from a random center and throwing 7 balls to garçon.

It will be mathis and wayne as the number one priorities. Irsay said it himself. Garcon should be the number one priority though. He is the future, knows the system, has talent, has potential, and is still young. next should be mathis imo. then wayne. after those three, saturday should be brought back, at least a one year contract because he is still performing at a decent level, and provides invaluable leadership and can help tell the new o-line including any offensive lineman we bring in after this years draft.

I expected this and that's fine. But as I mentioned it's only for the fact if Manning comes back. . It would be my assumption that Manning would be more comfortable taking all the snaps from Jeff and throwing 7 balls at a random Wr . Rather than Manning taking all snaps from a random center and throwing 7 balls to garçon.

That entire premise is hysterically flawed. You have a guy who is probably just as likely to retire next year as he is to sign another contract as the main re-signing for the team? That is high comedy. But let's play make-believe for a minute and accept that as the truth. If they do want him back, what difference does it make who is behind center? Wouldn't Luck benefit from having a veteran make the o'line calls? No surprise that your flawed analysis is built upon faulty logic.

That entire premise is hysterically flawed. You have a guy who is probably just as likely to retire next year as he is to sign another contract as the main re-signing for the team? That is high comedy. But let's play make-believe for a minute and accept that as the truth. If they do want him back, what difference does it make who is behind center? Wouldn't Luck benefit from having a veteran make the o'line calls? No surprise that your flawed analysis is built upon faulty logic.

So let me ask. What do you think would make Peyton more comfortable:

A: taking all the snaps from Saturday, throwing 8 times to random WR.

B: taking all snaps from a random center and throwing 8 times to Garçon?

Funny how you brought Luck into this. Weren't you the one that was concerned with only the players on your own list? But since you did, let's continue. You think Luck would be comfortable with a Veteran Center or a marginal WR?

So let me ask. What do you think would make Peyton more comfortable:

A: taking all the snaps from Saturday, throwing 8 times to random WR.

B: taking all snaps from a random center and throwing 8 times to Garçon?

Funny how you brought Luck into this. Weren't you the one that was concerned with only the players on your own list? But since you did, let's continue. You think Luck would be comfortable with a Veteran Center or a marginal WR?

Hey genius, you might not have mentioned Luck by name but what was the implication of this quote from you "If no Peyton id have to go Mathis. Build with big uglies?" Who is the QB "if no Peyton?"

To answer your question, I think Manning or Luck would feel most comfortable behind a center who kept d-linemen off their butts. The odds grow long that a guy who will be 37 next season is the guy to do that.

As for Garcon, you don't think he is as good as I do. You could be right but that does not mean that he still is not infinitely more important to the 2012 Colts and beyond than Saturday.

Garcon is important for several reasons. His dropped passes can be frustrating, but his speed and ability to make a big play are unparrelled on this team. There is a good chance Wayne will not resign with this team because his numbers declined without Manning and even if Manning returns he will more than likely leave before Wayne. Garcon on the other hand might be better off without Manning. Manning's style is all about timing and he seems to not have preference towards Garcon because of the dropped passes. If you can catch the ball Manning will throw it to you and doesn't expect you to gain extra yards, his main concern is getting first down and knows he will have more opportunities to move it down the field. With a young QB Garcon's big play making ability will help a young QB who doesn't have Manning's accuracy.

Hey genius, you might not have mentioned Luck by name but what was the implication of this quote from you "If no Peyton id have to go Mathis. Build with big uglies?" Who is the QB "if no Peyton?"

To answer your question, I think Manning or Luck would feel most comfortable behind a center who kept d-linemen off their butts. The odds grow long that a guy who will be 37 next season is the guy to do that.

As for Garcon, you don't think he is as good as I do. You could be right but that does not mean that he still is not infinitely more important to the 2012 Colts and beyond than Saturday.

I mean the QB could be anybody. Luck can be included, I dont mind. But at that point, if its a new QB, everyone will be new to them (OL,RB,WR etc) so Im not entirely sure it would matter at that point. Having a young WR to grow with (garcon) or have a veteran C snapping you the ball and helping make your calls as a first year player.

I just want to clarify that Saturdays true value really only lies with Manning. They are one, to get hippy with it. Thats why I would base that decisions based on the Manning outcome.

But outside of that I pretty much agree with you. I think Garcon is more valuable as a future player than what Saturday is. 100% no doubt.

I mean the QB could be anybody. Luck can be included, I dont mind. But at that point, if its a new QB, everyone will be new to them (OL,RB,WR etc) so Im not entirely sure it would matter at that point. Having a young WR to grow with (garcon) or have a veteran C snapping you the ball and helping make your calls as a first year player.

I just want to clarify that Saturdays true value really only lies with Manning. They are one, to get hippy with it. Thats why I would base that decisions based on the Manning outcome.

But outside of that I pretty much agree with you. I think Garcon is more valuable as a future player than what Saturday is. 100% no doubt.

All of that nonsense to essentially agree with me? You were just arguing, and badly at that, just for the sake of it. I hope you had fun.

I am done with this.

I don't see why everyone wants to undermine the importance of talented WR to PM's and the Colt's success. The offensive has never been nearly as explosive since we lost Marvin (Marvin>Gonzo/Garcon), and it was not nearly as explosive last year after Collie/Clark went down (Collie/Clark>White/Tamme). Point is, PM is much better with playmakers than he is with scrub, practice squad caliber WRs. I actually feel that Garcon is turning into a playmaker. He may not be a #1 WR, but he sure is important to the offense. In my ideal work, we let Wayne walk (love you Reggie but its probably time), trade the #1 pick, and are able to draft Blackmon from OSU who is an absolute immediate playmaking beast similar to AJ Green. Garcon, Collie, and Blackmon would be a lethal combination. Conversely we could sign Reggie, let Garcon walk and draft Blackmon. I know I'm dreaming here because I'm positive we will draft Luck, just saying. Either way, we need to infuse some young WR talent and let either Reggie or Garcon walk...signing one of them is the Colt's #1 priority.

Diem - False start. Number 71 on the offense. 5 yard penalty. Still third down.

Foster - No.

Garcon -Needs stick 'em. Otherwise I'd put him over Mathis.

Gonzo - Never plays.

Lacey -May as well have ten defenders on the field.

Mathis -This one.

Saturday -Old. Gets pushed in to the backfield. Great guy, former great center, but it's time to hang 'em up.

Tamme -Good back up for Clark who is injury prone these days. (Like 75% of our team)

Wheeler -No.

Wayne -Aging WR who struggles beating anyone man to man. We need a young, speedy, deep threat who can catch and this draft might see his replacement. If Garcon could catch reliably we'd already have one.

So for right now it's clearly Mathis. Even so, both he AND Freeney are slowing down. Hopefully we switch out our god awful Tampa 2 scheme/get a personnel overhaul over the next few seasons so that by the time these two really hit the age wall we'll be well prepared to deal with it. Right now they're all the D has going for it. (Well, them and Pat Angerer)

The most important free agent? Should alos be applied to any head coach fired afetr the regular season. Of course, anyone other than Caldwell i.e. Fischer, Reid (If Eagles can him), Norv would make a good offensive coach, and Spags from Rams for defensive coach perhaps.