Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why do we always receive first

PhillyCOLTSfan

I live in Colorado and I notice that the Broncos always defer at the beginning of the game and they end up at an overall advantage for it. It's "fun" to get the ball first, and it sets the tempo for the game if you score a td to begin the game, but I agree with your thoughts and I'd rather get the quick stop and get momentum. We can then get possession and have it after the half as well.

...we did that last year and people complained about it. Now you are complaining the other way. They do it because they want to start fast, they have confidence in the offense to score first, and then our very aggressive blitzing rush can do whatever they want. You can't be as aggressive if you are down 2 scores, because they will run and you don't want them to score. You can throw however many blitzes you want when you know that they have to pass to catch up. 

When they deferred, they consistently went down by 2 TDs every week. 

The only time this defense ever plays well is when the offense gets a lead.  You have a great offense and a terrible defense.  Why on earth would you defer?

I can't think of any good strategical argument for electing to receive to start the game.  Let's say you defer to the 2nd half.  If you can get the ball and go into a 2 minute drill to end the first half, you'll be getting the ball back again to start the 2nd half.  That's a potential 14 points for your team with the opponent not even touching the ball.  I don't understand why we always receive to start the game