Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton With A Warm Reception In Foxboro?

buffalo34

Saw this in my city's newspaper. Finally, a reason for me to give the thumbs up to Patriots fans, lol.

http://www.thesunchr...ws/10602045.txt

Manning has ventured into the belly of the Foxboro beast many times in the past and frequently came away bruised and battered, and the target of plenty of score from the stands. But on this particular Sunday, he felt the love from the Foxboro faithful - and it clearly touched him.

"I'll say this," he said. "I signed a lot of autographs before the game for a ton of Patriots fans, and they couldn't have been nicer. They were all wishing me a healthy recovery, saying they missed seeing me out there playing, and I appreciate that. I really do.

I think I'd be in the vast majority if I said I just wanted to give poor old Peyton a big hug on the sidelines.

Manning was our biggest rival, but that doesn't mean we do not enjoy seeing him play and of course rooting for him play awful against our pats lol. I want him back on the field to renew the rivalry in 2 yrs. (i don't think the pats and colts will face each other next yr UNLESS the nfl find a a way make it happen lol)

Manning was our biggest rival, but that doesn't mean we do not enjoy seeing him play and of course rooting for him play awful against our pats lol. I want him back on the field to renew the rivalry in 2 yrs. (i don't think the pats and colts will face each other next yr UNLESS the nfl find a a way make it happen lol)

You're in luck. The Colts and Patriots do have a date for each other in Foxboro next year, because in 2012 the AFC East and AFC South play each other in their entirety, rather than playing against the team that you finished with the same divisional ranking as you.

If you want the details, New England and NYJ travel to Jacksonville and Tennessee while hosting Indy/Houston. On the flip side, Buffalo and Miami travel to Indy/Houston while hosting Jacksonville/Tennessee.

One of Buffalo's rare meetings with the Colts, lol. Hopefully this time the game is actually meaningful.

south is scheduled to play the east next season. the rivalry lives on

edit: beat me to it buf

Same story, different link:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

By Greg A. Bedard, Globe Staff

FOXBOROUGH - Had a chance to discuss a few things with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning in the locker room. But he came back a few minutes later because he didn't want to leave without saying how appreciative he was of the reaction he got from Patriots fans while he was signing autographs before the game.

Here's what he wanted to say:

"These Patriots fans, who obviously while I’m playing through the years, like good fans, they make it tough on the opposing quarterback," he said. "But they were sincere about, ‘Hey, I hope you get back. We miss seeing you out there. Sorry you’re not playing this game.’ So it was classy. I was real appreciative."

Manning was obviously touched that it came from the fans of his biggest rivals.

"This is such an intense rivalry," he said. "Your own fans are going to tell you they miss seeing you out there and get back soon, but when kind of your biggest rival does it, I don’t think they’d be saying it if they didn’t mean it."

See that? Even Peyton thinks we're classy. :P

You're in luck. The Colts and Patriots do have a date for each other in Foxboro next year, because in 2012 the AFC East and AFC South play each other in their entirety, rather than playing against the team that you finished with the same divisional ranking as you.

If you want the details, New England and NYJ travel to Jacksonville and Tennessee while hosting Indy/Houston. On the flip side, Buffalo and Miami travel to Indy/Houston while hosting Jacksonville/Tennessee.

One of Buffalo's rare meetings with the Colts, lol. Hopefully this time the game is actually meaningful.

Buffalo....Really?

INDY at New England again next year....3rd year in a row??? Really??

Fun's fun..but why cant we play at Denver and San Diego??

..how about New England AT Indy

Buffalo....Really?

You played the AFC West last year, if you remember, lol. (@Broncos, @Raiders, vs Chiefs, vs Chargers)

If you're wondering, next year the Colts play the AFC East and NFC North. Broken up into home/away...

Home: Jags/Titans/Texans, Dolphins, Bills, Vikings, Packers, AFC West opp. (probably...Kansas City? Not sure who will finish 4th in AFC West)

Away: Jags/Titans/Texans, Jets, Patriots, Lions, Bears, AFC North opp. (pretty much guaranteed to be the Browns)

Buffalo....Really?

NE went to Indy in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Indy was in NE in 2010, this year, and next.

FOXBOROUGH - Had a chance to discuss a few things with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning in the locker room. But he came back a few minutes later because he didn't want to leave without saying how appreciative he was of the reaction he got from Patriots fans while he was signing autographs before the game.

"These Patriots fans, who obviously while I’m playing through the years, like good fans, they make it tough on the opposing quarterback," he said. "But they were sincere about, ‘Hey, I hope you get back. We miss seeing you out there. Sorry you’re not playing this game.’ So it was classy. I was real appreciative."

"This is such an intense rivalry," he said. "Your own fans are going to tell you they miss seeing you out there and get back soon, but when kind of your biggest rival does it, I don’t think they’d be saying it if they didn’t mean it."

Yep. I stll have vivid memories of the t-shirt I found in a back street shop in Boston. "I hate Peyton Manning' on the front, and "Eli sucks too" on the back.

I put it down to jealousy.......

The Patriots played in Indy for what, 4 straight years or so?

And now you're complaining? :P

I'm such a nerd, but here's the pattern.

LGHiE.png

When I say "Pats/Colts finish in 1st in divisions, AFC East hosts matchups against AFC South", look at the scheduling that year. These are years where an AFC East team plays an AFC South team that finished in the same ranking as they did in their division. And when I say "AFC East hosts matchups against AFC South", such as in 2010, look at the schedule.

2010:

Patriots played Colts at Foxboro

Jets played Texans at Meadowlands

Bills played Jags at the Ralph

Dolphins played Titans at Miami

2011:

Patriots played Colts at Foxboro

Jets played Jaguars at Meadowlands

Bills played Titans at the Ralph

Dolphins played Texans in Miami

Notice how in the above years, in the AFC East vs AFC South matchups, the AFC East teams were the home teams.

Now, let's take years like 2007 and 2008, where the AFC East played the AFC South team that finished in the same divisional ranking as they did, but this time, the AFC South teams are the home teams in these matchups.

2007:

Patriots played Colts in Indy

Jets played Titans in Tennessee

Bills played Jaguars in Jacksonville

Dolphins played Texans in Houston

2008:

Patriots played Colts in Indy

Jets played Titans in Tennessee

Bills played Jaguars in Jacksonville

Dolphins played Texans in Houston

In week 1 in Houston, there was a fan holding a sign that said "Peyton, you've been a pain in our neck for 10 years". It just shows how respected Peyton is around the league. No one is happy when another player gets injured.

I rarely disagree with you, but I know a lot of Bear's fans who were giddy and laughing when they heard that Peyton was injured.

While I am not happy that Cutler is now injured, I can't help but think . . . karma. haha

Yeah I'm, complaining...

who else does that type of scheduling...

WE dont play San Diego every year...

Buff did a great job of explaining more specifically why the Colts and Pats play every year...but ill simplify the scheduling for you in general.

Each year a team plays their division opponents twice each...thats 6 games.

Each team plays a division from the other conference, which rotates each year...thats 4 games.

Each team plays a division from their own conference, which rotates each year...thats 4 games.

Each team plays the team from the remaining two divisions in their own conference that finished in the same spot as they did the previous year....thats 2 games

For a total of 16.

The reason the Pats and Colts play each other every year is because, in addition to the every 3 year rotation where the East plays the South anyways...the Pats and Colts each have finished 1st in their division the previous season. If they each finished 2nd they would play each other. If they each finished 3rd they would play each other. If they each finished 4th they would play each other. If the Chargers finished 1st in their division every season...the Colts WOULD play them each year....but they havent, so they dont.

14 of the 16 games on a teams schedules are decided, based on the rotations listed above, years in advance. The only games that are undetermined are the 2 from the other divisions within a teams conference, because they have to wait to see where they finish in the divisional standings.

Buff did a great job of explaining more specifically why the Colts and Pats play every year...but ill simplify the scheduling for you in general.

Each year a team plays their division opponents twice each...thats 6 games.

Each team plays a division from the other conference, which rotates each year...thats 4 games.

Each team plays a division from their own conference, which rotates each year...thats 4 games.

Each team plays the team from the remaining two divisions in their own conference that finished in the same spot as they did the previous year....thats 2 games

For a total of 16.

The reason the Pats and Colts play each other every year is because, in addition to the every 3 year rotation where the East plays the South anyways...the Pats and Colts each have finished 1st in their division the previous season. If they each finished 2nd they would play each other. If they each finished 3rd they would play each other. If they each finished 4th they would play each other. If the Chargers finished 1st in their division every season...the Colts WOULD play them each year....but they havent, so they dont.

14 of the 16 games on a teams schedules are decided, based on the rotations listed above, years in advance. The only games that are undetermined are the 2 from the other divisions within a teams conference, because they have to wait to see where they finish in the divisional standings.

Thank you...

So there are no other teams in the NFL that are not in the same division but have met 6 years in a row

..and even though the Colts will finish last this season and the Patriots will finish 1st ,..2012 just happens to be the year when their DIVISIONS meet.

And if we return to 1st place in 2012 and the Pats stay on top...Indy and NE will meet again in the 2013 season...

We're just so lucky

Thank you...

So there are no other teams in the NFL that are not in the same division but have met 6 years in a row

..and even though the Colts will finish last this season and the Patriots will finish 1st ,..2012 just happens to be the year when their DIVISIONS meet.

And if we return to 1st place in 2012 and the Pats stay on top...Indy and NE will meet again in the 2013 season...

We're just so lucky

Correct. The funny thing is that in 2008, we both finished in 2nd place...so we would have played again regardless even when we both had 'down seasons'....but we were scheduled to play anyways because the East and South came up on rotation that year as well.

Yep. I stll have vivid memories of the t-shirt I found in a back street shop in Boston. "I hate Peyton Manning' on the front, and "Eli sucks too" on the back.

I put it down to jealousy.......

Yeah, but no one hates you when you're terrible. :P

It's a sign of respect. (And FTR, I don't hate either of the Mannings. Every Wallace needs his Longshanks. Without Manning, Brady wouldn't have a foil.)