Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tebow Is The Real Deal. (Merge)

DILLIGAFER

What will you haters say if he leads his team to beat the Patriots this week?

What will his supporters say if he doesn't?

Like GoPats said...why cant we just wait and see? We don't have to rank him right now, we don't have to compare him to anyone else...he fits what they're doing out there, and he helps that team win. You can credit the defense, you can credit the conservative game plan....but the fact is, hes helping them win. When will people finally realize that its ok to have a good defense that helps...it doesn't 'take away from' what the quarterback is doing. This week will be a good test against the Patriots. We're known to go up big and then let the team come back in the 4th...well that just so happens to be Tebow's M.O. this year. Will Denver keep it close enough to allow him to come back? Who knows...but I think this game has the potential to be a lot more interesting than some think.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What will you haters say if he leads his team to beat the Patriots this week?

Must we be haters? Can't we just respectfully disagree with the hype and believe that he's been an ok game manger on a team with a good running game and a very good defense who has successfully taken advantage of the good opportunities he's had against prevent defenses in games kept close by the previously mentioned ground game and stellar defense? (On a funny Colts related side note for those that actually watched the game, anybody notice Tim Jennings giving his trademark 12 yard cushion on the td drive?)

Re: How he'll be viewed by skeptics post New England, it depends on how the Broncos beat the Patriots. If Tebow is still at ~50% completion rate against a pretty pathetic pass defense then yes, he'll still have plenty of doubters. He should achieve 60% at a minimum.

For those complaining that there's no objective reasoning for those who are skeptical of Tebows success thus far, here are the records of teams the Broncos faced during their 1-3 start compared to the 7-1 run they've been on since Tebow came into office:

First 4 game opponents W-L= 34-18, a whopping 64% winning pct. Every team they played is either seeded or in the hunt for a playoff berth.

8 games since Tebow became a full time starter W-L= 47-57, a 45% winning pct.

I left out the first game against the 6-7 Chargers when he took over at the half. It wouldn't skew the results much one way or the other and keeps the data nice and pure, either he's playing or he's not.

Beyond the numbers, he's also caught alot of those teams at the right time, whether it's Chicago without Cutler or Forte, Vikings without Peterson, Raiders with a new QB and without DMAC etc.

I don't think Tebow is going to get a lot of praise from doubters, until he starts to play well for full games over a period of time. I'll give him all the credit for doing what he needs to do to win games when the game is there to be won. But I also know he's not going to make a living out of winning in that manner. Eventually, he's going to have to play well for a whole game to win. Just last year, the Jets had a stretch of games where they looked dead and buried while Sanchez struggled, only to have the Jets come back and win games late with Sanchez making some big plays to win, and people still thought he sucked. So we've seen this story before.

He would be perfect for most of you,being saintly and all ,that seems to be how everybody in Indy loves their players.Personally,I don't care if the entire offensive line has a prison record as long as they win.

That's the thing, it's not really possible to win with people like that.

Must we be haters? Can't we just respectfully disagree with the hype and believe that he's been an ok game manger on a team with a good running game and a very good defense who has successfully taken advantage of the good opportunities he's had against prevent defenses in games kept close by the previously mentioned ground game and stellar defense? (On a funny Colts related side note for those that actually watched the game, anybody notice Tim Jennings giving his trademark 12 yard cushion on the td drive?)

Re: How he'll be viewed by skeptics post New England, it depends on how the Broncos beat the Patriots. If Tebow is still at ~50% completion rate against a pretty pathetic pass defense then yes, he'll still have plenty of doubters. He should achieve 60% at a minimum.

For those complaining that there's no objective reasoning for those who are skeptical of Tebows success thus far, here are the records of teams the Broncos faced during their 1-3 start compared to the 7-1 run they've been on since Tebow came into office:

First 4 game opponents W-L= 34-18, a whopping 64% winning pct. Every team they played is either seeded or in the hunt for a playoff berth.

8 games since Tebow became a full time starter W-L= 47-57, a 45% winning pct.

I left out the first game against the 6-7 Chargers when he took over at the half. It wouldn't skew the results much one way or the other and keeps the data nice and pure, either he's playing or he's not.

Beyond the numbers, he's also caught alot of those teams at the right time, whether it's Chicago without Cutler or Forte, Vikings without Peterson, Raiders with a new QB and without DMAC etc.

Amen. Thank you!

I heard an ex player sum it up nicely. Tebow has essentially graduated before completing his course work. Most QB's keep developing the passing and pocket skills and then when they reach the NFL, they have to learn to turn those skills into victories. They have to learn how to win. Tebow already knows how to win at the NFL level, he still has to learn the skills though. If he gets first team reps all preseason next year, will he develop enough as a passer to quiet some of the criticsm? Will Elway even commit to him or draft another QB to take the reigns?

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, December 18, 2011 - personal argument
Hidden by Coltssouth, December 18, 2011 - personal argument

If you think he is the real deal you don't know anything about the NFL and that's how I see it.

Im the one that doesnt know.. take a look in the mirror. Someone like yourself dont know much about the birth of football. Tell me oh wise one, how was the game played many years ago and what was the main purpose of the qb?

They sure as heck werent pass happy qb's. They were Tebow like. Handed the football offor scrambled, then sometimes attempted passes. For the majority of the time they handed the football off. Get a clue.

Im the one that doesnt know.. take a look in the mirror. Someone like yourself dont know much about the birth of football. Tell me oh wise one, how was the game played many years ago and what was the main purpose of the qb?

They sure as heck werent pass happy qb's. They were Tebow like. Handed the football offor scrambled, then sometimes attempted passes. For the majority of the time they handed the football off. Get a clue.

I'd like to just call you dense but that just wouldn't do it justice... rolleyes.gif

I'd like to just call you dense but that just wouldn't do it justice... rolleyes.gif

Sorry everyone.. the baby must have dropped his binky cause he's awful cranky :( .. someone please call his momma and let her know he needs it.. thanks.

What happened yesterday is what I've been wondering about Tebow for the last 10 or 12 weeks. What happens when his team is down big and is put into obvious passing situations?

He's got a ton of potential and was pretty decent throwing the ball yesterday, but he was also wild on a few throws in crunch time. He's not there... yet. But I would say that he's definitely got the potential to be a star.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 25, 2011 - Inflammatory/Religous
Hidden by Nadine, December 25, 2011 - Inflammatory/Religous

Delighted to hear that he failed miserably today, and that the Broncos were stomped by a below average team. PLEASE let some of this nonsense quiet down now. (And I LIKE the Broncos - at least a lot more than the Raiders or Chargers - or Bills for that matter).

I will be the first one to admit that Tebow seems like a nice kid, but I find the absolutely constant in-your-face religious promotion to be obnoxious beyond belief, and the adoration and attention being heaped upon him to be even worse. He thinks that he is a missionary and we are his flock. Just "shut up and play football (for Gods sake)". In addition, the "he just wins" nonsense reminds me of the simplistic arguments from years ago from those convinced Brady was better than Manning because of the Super Bowl victories. At some point actual talent is supposed to be a consideration, but at this point I'm not even paying attention to his debatable football skills, I just want the noise to stop.

It reminds me of being in my early 20's and running to a Kmart to get some motor oil. While there I ran into an old acquaintance from high school. After spending a few minutes chatting about life in general, he goes "so, since last we met have you given any further thought to your relationship with Jesus Christ?". I suddenly realized that he was dressed in a suit and tie, and apparently trolling the auto parts department at a suburban discount retailer looking for converts. I smiled and distracted him with some shiny platitudes while backing cautiously out of the aisle with all due haste. I knew my friend to be a gentle soul with a good heart, and I respected his beliefs, I just resented them being foisted upon me. Tebow is the same thing, just with a Greek chorus of millions joining in. Its a little hard to use the same exit strategy as demonstrated in the Kmart when it's coming from my TV. When I hear his name now I just want to put my hands over my ears. Enough already.

• 3 weeks later...

Vince Young sucks

Your right, he's wrong, Tebow is a much better football player. Im not talking about throwing mechanics but toughness, leadership, heart, intelligence, will

He may just be a FB that can some what throw but he's a great football player.

The Broncos need to trust him more and let him throw the ball more. I hope he takes advantage of the Pats secondary like he did the Steelers.

The Steelers were kind of undone by their game plan though, and their confidence in their defensive backs to play man coverage. (Not to mention their apparent refusal to modify their game plan despite getting torched on huge gainers.) I personally believe that the Patriots will play almost exclusively zone and will force Tebow to make accurate throws in the 10-20 yard range, or short dump offs. They will not get beaten by the big pass plays after what Tebow did to the Steelers. If they move the ball and score some points, so be it. But don't get burned deep and at least force them to grind it out more. Play good red zone defense, and you should be OK.

I said it in another thread... what I think you want to do with him is make him execute long drives. 10 or 12 plays a pop. Keep at least one safety deep all the time (McCourty switched to safety in week 17 and might start there) and force him to throw into tight spots in zone. Don't try to cover in man too much because Denver's got some good receivers who can get open.

Anything can happen, and it wouldn't really surprise me if the Broncos upset the Patriots in this one. Sounds cliche but the biggest thing here is that the Pats' offense can't turn the ball over.

The Steelers were kind of undone by their game plan though, and their confidence in their defensive backs to play man coverage. (Not to mention their apparent refusal to modify their game plan despite getting torched on huge gainers.) I personally believe that the Patriots will play almost exclusively zone and will force Tebow to make accurate throws in the 10-20 yard range, or short dump offs. They will not get beaten by the big pass plays after what Tebow did to the Steelers. If they move the ball and score some points, so be it. But don't get burned deep and at least force them to grind it out more. Play good red zone defense, and you should be OK.

I said it in another thread... what I think you want to do with him is make him execute long drives. 10 or 12 plays a pop. Keep at least one safety deep all the time (McCourty switched to safety in week 17 and might start there) and force him to throw into tight spots in zone. Don't try to cover in man too much because Denver's got some good receivers who can get open.

Anything can happen, and it wouldn't really surprise me if the Broncos upset the Patriots in this one. Sounds cliche but the biggest thing here is that the Pats' offense can't turn the ball over.

If y'all sit back the Broncos will kill you running the ball.

I think the Patriots will take their shots with some blitz and try to make opportunities. I agree, turnovers or equivalent will determine this game. These two teams played just a short time ago and it's going to be tight. Could see it going either way.

The Broncos need to trust him more and let him throw the ball more. I hope he takes advantage of the Pats secondary like he did the Steelers.

I do not know how you can open the play book more for him. Sure the deep ball looks really good, but when he is just trying to make basic throws his WRs. That is the thing that drives me nuts about Tebow. He will throw an amazing deep ball that has a tight spiral and be right on the money, but when he throws a basic out pattern to a TE or WR its at the recievers feet or goes high over their head.

The whole Tebow thing drives me nuts and it is not because of Tebow himself. The media is driving me nuts about it. The TD pass in overtime was a perfect example. All you heard was what a TD throw by Tebow. I was just sitting there thinking it was just a basic pass that went for maybe 10 yards and then was all Thomas. Yet, the media made it out that Tebow threw it to himself and scored the TD.

If the Broncos stand a chance that defense will have to have an amazing game. The key to that teams success is not Tebow. It is that defense. If they can keep it close and allow the Broncos to run the ball and keep Brady off the field they will have a great chance to win. If the Pats can get up 14-17 points it will force them to pass the ball more and that just is not Tebow's strenght right now.

The worst thing that happened to the Steelers was the fact they settled for field goals and not TDs. You put them up 14-0 instead of 6-0 and that game is entirely different.

I have not titled myself as a fan of Tim Tebow. I think that he has some raw talent and true athletic ability. But he also looks like garbage most of the time. I respect the man for having a strong belief system but I have also always looked down on athletes who praise God for their game fortune as if God is their biggest fan. I don't know if it is luck or divine intervention. Whatever it is I pray, no pun intended, that it is with him tonight so that he can beat the god-forsaken (let's hope) Patriots.

Garbage? Your talking about arguably the best college football player ever, a rookie starter in his 2nd year, taking his team to the playoffs. Ya, total garbage huh. Ridiculous statement. Your opinion or not. He will only get better. If i were other teams, i would be watching this guy very closely.

Im not a Tebow lover, but to call his play garbage.. preposterous. He will put up a fight against a weak secondary today. If the Broncs D shows up, the Broncs will win. If they cant stop Brady, he will put up points. The key today is stopping Brady.