Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adrian Peterson suspended through the end of 2014

NFLfan

Interesting... even though he's not getting paid for the rest of the season does he still count against the Vikings cap (not that it makes much difference at this stage of the season). I also wonder if this activates any clauses allowing the Vikings to walk on his deal and if so are they tempted? Cap hits of $15.4, $15 and $17 million for a RB aren't great when you're building around a rookie QB.

Can they do this? What about the CBA?

The CBA did not cover that aspect in their agreement. The NFL and Goodell has total control over matters considered personal conduct. The players were so concerned about the money aspect of the terms any other matters were throw out the window.

The CBA did not cover that aspect in their agreement. The NFL and Goodell has total control over matters considered personal conduct. The players were so concerned about the money aspect of the terms any other matters were throw out the window.

Thanks. So this is part of the personal conduct policy? Not sure what Peterson's appeal would be then. I suppose he has to try.

Which is why I think it's laughable how they are playing the emotional aspect of how players are "suffering" the consequences of goodell having too much power.  Blah blah blah.  They're just trying to get their cake and eat it, too.  They just want to have everything go to a neutral arbitrator now and keep their cut of the pie because if they were to negotiate the right for a neutral abritrator when the 2020 CBA negotiations come up (think that's when ti expires), they'd have to give up something...most likely money. 

Which is why I think it's laughable how they are playing the emotional aspect of how players are "suffering" the consequences of goodell having too much power.  Blah blah blah.  They're just trying to get their cake and eat it, too.  They just want to have everything go to a neutral arbitrator now and keep their cut of the pie because if they were to negotiate the right for a neutral abritrator when the 2020 CBA negotiations come up (think that's when ti expires), they'd have to give up something...most likely money. 

it'd be in the interest of both parties. it certainly hasn't been entirely in the best interest of the nfl's image, which was the intent. they look like a bunch of fascists. absolute power absolutely corrupts

it'd be in the interest of both parties. it certainly hasn't been entirely in the best interest of the nfl's image, which was the intent. they look like a bunch of fascists. absolute power absolutely corrupts

There's no disputing that.  In retrospect, it was a terrible ask by the NFL.  But my only point is that it's equally a terrible position to now demand via the media that the NFL give them the right to a neutral arbitrator on appeal and also be able to keep the benefit they received when they initially gave up the right for a neutral arbitrator.

Interesting... even though he's not getting paid for the rest of the season does he still count against the Vikings cap (not that it makes much difference at this stage of the season). I also wonder if this activates any clauses allowing the Vikings to walk on his deal and if so are they tempted? Cap hits of $15.4, $15 and $17 million for a RB aren't great when you're building around a rookie QB.

I don't know what the cap ramifications would be, but I believe the Vikings could cut him if they wanted to, just as the Ravens did with Ray Rice.

As for whether the Vikings want to cut him, there is a lot of speculation. The latest is that the Vikings are not looking to do so now:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/11/19/7245547/minnesota-vikings-not-looking-to-trade-or-release-adrian-peterson

I don't know what the cap ramifications would be, but I believe the Vikings could cut him if they wanted to, just as the Ravens did with Ray Rice.

As for whether the Vikings want to cut him, there is a lot of speculation. The latest is that the Vikings are not looking to do so now:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/11/19/7245547/minnesota-vikings-not-looking-to-trade-or-release-adrian-peterson

I figured they would be able to walk away without any blow back. Personally, and I never thought I'd say this about AP, I'd cut him. The RB position is not a "Franchise" one any more and that money could be better served putting pieces around Teddy. 

I just wanted to point out that in a previous thread very few believed me when I said AP wouldn't be playing this season and almost no one believed me when I said his career is over.

I stand by both.  You will never see AP or Ray Rice on an NFL field again.  Team's are too scared of the social justice warriors. 

I think missing the recent meeting irked a few in the front office.

Him "missing" the meeting isn't because AP forgot to set his alarm or something, the NFLPA and his lawlawyers had no intentions on attending that meeting because the NFL was asking for all the information and documentation on the case.

APs team couldn't provide all of that on such short notice because some of the information and documents would be ILLEGAL to share from the case.

This is the NFL in a battle with the NFLPA and they're using every litigation trick in the book to hose them.

Beating a child repeatedly should be automatic prison time so all this contract talk is disgusting. He didn't just swat his kid on the butt and say behave yourself, he BEAT the child. Ban him for life.

It is not that cut and dry. Corporal punishment is LEGAL in the South, and there are a lot of different factors at play here..

The legal system disagrees with you, and to punish someone for life who's never had any record or wrong doing in the past, who has contributed positively to his community, is completely over the top.

I don't get why AP just didn't go the meeting. He will not win the appeal. Let's see if the Vikings keep him for next year.

It was a decision by his legal team and the NFLPA not to attend.

Everyone keeps talking about it like AP just woke up and was like "ah screw it, I'm not going to attend that meeting with the Commish today and play Xbox instead"

It was a decision by his legal team and the NFLPA not to attend.

Everyone keeps talking about it like AP just woke up and was like "ah screw it, I'm not going to attend that meeting with the Commish today and play Xbox instead"

Yeah, I know he was told not to attend but really that was his best chance of getting to try to play this season.

Him "missing" the meeting isn't because AP forgot to set his alarm or something, the NFLPA and his lawlawyers had no intentions on attending that meeting because the NFL was asking for all the information and documentation on the case.

APs team couldn't provide all of that on such short notice because some of the information and documents would be ILLEGAL to share from the case.

This is the NFL in a battle with the NFLPA and they're using every litigation trick in the book to hose them.