Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the game - Trying hard to remain optimistic

lollygagger8

Well, we can't run the ball and we can't stop the run. Our D let a guy off the practice squad run 4 TD's down our throats. I had a sad revelation last night that we might go one and done IF we get to the playoffs. I think our leading tacklers had to be the secondary. 

I'm NOT saying fire anyone, but seriously how do we come out and lay such an egg after a bye week?? 

Luck missed some wide open receivers on throws, and tried forcing it which lead to an INT. He is missing some wide open RB's out of the backfield A LOT. I do like how he keeps his eyes down the field, but sometimes you have to dump it off! 

I did see Luck throw an actual fade (to Nicks who is great at them- which might be the only thing he's great at) so that was pretty cool. 

If we lost Bradshaw for the season (might have broken ankle) Trent needs to step up BIG time. No more Joseph Addai pitty patter feet. Hit the hole and go. Our run game was pathetic last night. I hope Allen is ok as well. 

I am a huge Freeman fan, but he played liked complete garbage last night. So did DQ. Our LB core needs help. Bad. 

Hey, at least Mike Adams and Coby Fleener came to play. Vontae had a pretty good game last night too.

So, yay! I think. 

Well, we can't run the ball and we can't stop the run. Our D let a guy off the practice squad run 4 TD's down our throats. I had a sad revelation last night that we might go one and done IF we get to the playoffs. I think our leading tacklers had to be the secondary. 

I'm NOT saying fire anyone, but seriously how do we come out and lay such an egg after a bye week?? 

Luck missed some wide open receivers on throws, and tried forcing it which lead to an INT. He is missing some wide open RB's out of the backfield A LOT. I do like how he keeps his eyes down the field, but sometimes you have to dump it off! 

I did see Luck throw an actual fade (to Nicks who is great at them- which might be the only thing he's great at) so that was pretty cool. 

If we lost Bradshaw for the season (might have broken ankle) Trent needs to step up BIG time. No more Joseph Addai pitty patter feet. Hit the hole and go. Our run game was pathetic last night. I hope Allen is ok as well. 

I am a huge Freeman fan, but he played liked complete garbage last night. So did DQ. Our LB core needs help. Bad. 

Hey, at least Mike Adams and Coby Fleener came to play. Vontae had a pretty good game last night too.

So, yay! I think. 

Not much to disagree with.  And yes, I'm not a "let's fire...." person nor do I think firing anyone is a solution.  That being said, this team is too talented to play as poorly as they have the last few games.  I just run through the position or players

Luck:  Man he has got to stop double clutching his throws.  I'm sure many will say the INT is not his fault because it was a tipped ball but the only reason it was tipped is because he double clutched it and allowed the DB time to close on Wayne.

RBs:  To me, this is coaching, they need to work on establishing the running game, this running once and then throwing 6-10 times is ridiculous.  But my word they have (had) a beast in Bradshaw and they traded a first round pick for Trich and then they hand them the ball once or twice a drive.

WRs:  They played well, IMO and are a strength of the offense.  They were creating separation but Luck's double clutching negated a lot of it.

TEs:  Have been playing well lately, hopefully Allen is not going to be out for long.

Oline: AC, Mewhort and GC played well.  Thornton played okay, not real powerful at times, Harrison needs to be replaced.  Holmes, Shipley, I don't care but he has shown no improvement since becoming the starter in Baltimore game.

Dline:  They got pushed around all game, Chapman needs to learn to keep his feet when he's doubled.  But I think the players they have can be good.

OLB:  At least until Walden is fully healed they should make Werner the strong side and put Newsome in as the rush LB.  Or use the rotation of Studebaker and Newsome.

ILB:  I've been saying for a few weeks no that Freenman needs to be out until he's healed.  He's been horrible since he came back from his injury.  DQ is what he is, some plays he looks solid and other times looks mediocre.  But overall he had a solid game last night.  Even that one time when he hit Gray and Gray bounced off and gained another 6 yards, that was not on DQ, if you watch the replay, one of the DTs or Redding rolled right into his legs just as he was making contact and that stole all his momentum.

CBs.  CBs played for the most part, even Toler and his penalty was bogus.  The Patriots knock Hilton down, nothing, the WR runs into Toler and he gets flagged.

Safeties:  Adams is solid, nice coverage but not much in run support.  Brown did not play well... I expect to see Landry back as the starter this week, or if Landry is too much in the dog house try Dewey in there... he really can't play worse than Brown did last night.

Coaching:  I don't know if it's Pep or Luck changing the plays but they have got to establish a ground game (I know people will say they had 14 carries for 4 yards) but that is as much of the play calling as anything the Pats did.  Manusky needs to realize that teams are watching film of his past games, so he can't always do the same thing in the same situation every game, he has to change things up.  Everybody and their brother knows that in 3rd and 5-8 yards that either Freeman or DQ is blitzing up the middle.

Some people will try to justify things but the fact is the Colts have not been playing well since the Cincy game.  And they did this same thing last year... the middle of the season they played poorly.

So, yay! I think. 

Add Patty Mac and Dewey McDonald to that list. Outside of that, you're spot on!

Not much to disagree with.  And yes, I'm not a "let's fire...." person nor do I think firing anyone is a solution.  That being said, this team is too talented to play as poorly as they have the last few games.  I just run through the position or players

Luck:  Man he has got to stop double clutching his throws.  I'm sure many will say the INT is not his fault because it was a tipped ball but the only reason it was tipped is because he double clutched it and allowed the DB time to close on Wayne.

RBs:  To me, this is coaching, they need to work on establishing the running game, this running once and then throwing 6-10 times is ridiculous.  But my word they have (had) a beast in Bradshaw and they traded a first round pick for Trich and then they hand them the ball once or twice a drive.

WRs:  They played well, IMO and are a strength of the offense.  They were creating separation but Luck's double clutching negated a lot of it.

TEs:  Have been playing well lately, hopefully Allen is not going to be out for long.

Oline: AC, Mewhort and GC played well.  Thornton played okay, not real powerful at times, Harrison needs to be replaced.  Holmes, Shipley, I don't care but he has shown no improvement since becoming the starter in Baltimore game.

Dline:  They got pushed around all game, Chapman needs to learn to keep his feet when he's doubled.  But I think the players they have can be good.

OLB:  At least until Walden is fully healed they should make Werner the strong side and put Newsome in as the rush LB.  Or use the rotation of Studebaker and Newsome.

ILB:  I've been saying for a few weeks no that Freenman needs to be out until he's healed.  He's been horrible since he came back from his injury.  DQ is what he is, some plays he looks solid and other times looks mediocre.  But overall he had a solid game last night.  Even that one time when he hit Gray and Gray bounced off and gained another 6 yards, that was not on DQ, if you watch the replay, one of the DTs or Redding rolled right into his legs just as he was making contact and that stole all his momentum.

CBs.  CBs played for the most part, even Toler and his penalty was bogus.  The Patriots knock Hilton down, nothing, the WR runs into Toler and he gets flagged.

Safeties:  Adams is solid, nice coverage but not much in run support.  Brown did not play well... I expect to see Landry back as the starter this week, or if Landry is too much in the dog house try Dewey in there... he really can't play worse than Brown did last night.

Coaching:  I don't know if it's Pep or Luck changing the plays but they have got to establish a ground game (I know people will say they had 14 carries for 4 yards) but that is as much of the play calling as anything the Pats did.  Manusky needs to realize that teams are watching film of his past games, so he can't always do the same thing in the same situation every game, he has to change things up.  Everybody and their brother knows that in 3rd and 5-8 yards that either Freeman or DQ is blitzing up the middle.

Some people will try to justify things but the fact is the Colts have not been playing well since the Cincy game.  And they did this same thing last year... the middle of the season they played poorly.

I agree with just about everything you said here.  Especially the part on working to establish the ground game and not abandoning it after a couple bad runs.  I have to say it was pretty bad last night though, so you half way can't blame them.

I don't know what has happened to us as far as defending the run is concerned.  I just did not imagine us playing as poorly

as we did against the run in this game.  That wasn't even in my head.  We can do something against that team if we ever

can get their running game stopped.  Very frustrating!

And I remember one aspect of that Bengals game was how well we used Doyle to bolster our run blocking....which I guess might have gotten altered last night when Allen fell out?

We are missing Arthur Jones in the front 7, Francois has been playing ok as of recent but he was absolutely Man handled last night. 

Our inside backers were getting destroyed last night it was not a pleasant sight to see. I really wouldve liked to see Andrew Jackson in more especially on downs when they were CLEARLY running. no knock to Freeman but he is smaller and his ability to shed blocks and secure the tackle was just not there last night.

We were able to Pressure Brady effectively a few times last night which forced two interceptions, (side note Mike Adams has had a pretty good season thus far)

O-Line played Fairly well in pass protection department kept luck upright for the most part. Completely sucked in the Run block game.

Bradshaw is done for the season, T-Rich will have to step his game up no more running east and west and dancing in the backfield, Pick a hole commit to it and churn your legs.

Fleener had an Amazing game props to him. made an amazing grab on the sidline to secure the 1st down. (might i add no drops from what i can recall from him.)

I didnt really see much of a defensive adjustment in the second half to stop the run. and offensively i felt we could have exploited the mismatches the defense gave us. 

Overall not happy with the way the game ended New England is playing really good football right now. Winning 6 straight but this game could have gone our way as well.