Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Angry Bears fans attacking Trestmans daughters

RockThatBlue

I agree with you to a degree, it was a stupid thing to say and yes by all means you have to investigate these sort of things. But I think it would become clear pretty quickly he wasn't a credible threat and then it we're into the grey world of whether a crime has been committed.

It's a very tough balance between protecting the rights of the individual and protecting others.

Absolutely agree. To me, that kid should've just gotten a slap on the wrist and be done with it. However, to play devils advocate, I can also see the counterpoint that if you allow this instance to go without repercussions, that also sets a precedent for other kids tweeting similar bomb threats, involving all sorts of federal agencies and resources, then claim "it was just a joke!" That would also be a travesty, because then you would be potentially putting people in harms way by misallocating government resources. If that were the case, then you could argue that would fall into the realm of "unprotected speech", as ColtsBlueFL outlined above.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh... while I've probably shifted my natural political stance a bit as I've grown up I'd still take issue with people being arrested for this. In poor taste or not it wasn't directed at any one individual or individuals and was quite clearly a joke. To arrest someone for something like this sets a dangerous precedent really. I would add however that directly threatening and abusing an actual individual on Twitter is something completely different and that does start to cross the line into being a criminal act. 

"The way best way to prove a fool is a fool is to let him speak"

I could not agree with you more. These types of threats need to be taken seriously. Once they have been investigated and deemed not credible, then charges can be dropped. I don't have any problem with this guy getting arrested but he probably should not have been convicted of a crime.

As for those who harassed Trestman's daughters, their comments were inexcusable. Their Twitter accounts should at least be suspended. Hopefully that would deter them from posting similar comments in the future.

Even joking, you cannot say      B o m b   or     h i j a c k    in an airport. Many things along those lines.  IME, if speech can be shown to or does cause harm or damage to another party in any way, then it should not be protected speech. I don't feel it would be in court. If ones words even causes others to riot, not protected.  Cause corporations to spend money to alter operations or spend resources for self protection while investigations are ongoing, not protected.  Someone else right to throw a punch ends just in front of my nose.  Joke or no joke, it's not a joking matter once others are impacted in any way.

Maybe they ought to be attacking the D.A... GM that signed Jay C to the what was it 4 yr 5yr way over paid contract. Im a Bears fan after the Colts ,never liked Cutler when he was in Denver and all the so called  football gurus from espn putting him with best QBs in the league.Hogwash never was , Rex Grossman was better if he had the tools Jay does to work with on the Field. The Bears are a victim of a very poor GM , the D has slid bigtime after the early departure of Urlacher . They are going to cut losses clean house and start over. And as far as the attacks on these kids TOTALLY SENSELESS !

I would like to cordially invite those fans to my kid's bus stop...or anywhere else.  

You points on Cutler are well taken.

uyiha6scio5s11gcqhky.jpg

Absolutely agree. To me, that kid should've just gotten a slap on the wrist and be done with it. However, to play devils advocate, I can also see the counterpoint that if you allow this instance to go without repercussions, that also sets a precedent for other kids tweeting similar bomb threats, involving all sorts of federal agencies and resources, then claim "it was just a joke!" That would also be a travesty, because then you would be potentially putting people in harms way by misallocating government resources. If that were the case, then you could argue that would fall into the realm of "unprotected speech", as ColtsBlueFL outlined above.

A fair point but I think the (very small) difference was that it was clear from the original tweet it was never intended to be a threat, even as a joke, If he had said "I'm going to bomb the airport!" that's a bit different without the context of the rest of the tweet. 

Maybe it's a cultural thing? I'd be interested to see what any of the other UK posters think. When the case came up here in the UK the majority of the public perception was that it was step too far from what I remember.

I agree.  Look at that defense.  Once the pride of the NFL.....getting waxed every week.

You know I like the Bears from wayyyy back.  This secondary may be the worst I have ever seen there.  You are correct also against the run...Jared Allen...is...awful.  Never thought I would say that.

You know I like the Bears from wayyyy back.  This secondary may be the worst I have ever seen there.  You are correct also against the run...Jared Allen...is...awful.  Never thought I would say that.

Its a fact , never should've let Peppers go , really screwed up the line.

This is very sad....I know our civili liberty folks would hate this

But there eventually will be a way to track (now untracable) internet communication..and pass elgal judgement...

.......when that day comes..this stops.

Threats to children..even in the form of dislike of their dad...should be a crime

http://www.ip-tracker.org/

This one told me the hotel I am posting from! 

http://www.iptrackeronline.com/

Read the part about privacy-

http://www.highspeedinternet.net/features/10-things-your-internet-provider-really-doesn%C2%B4t-want-you-to-know.asp

Generally, most people do not have anonymity, nor much privacy they think they do while surfing .  Despite what they believe.  I could do a pretty good job for myself, but don't.  IE: use Tor open network, and/or the TOR web browser, use Linux OS, only connect from free public internet hot spots, employ a VPN (if they don't keep logs) and/or Web Proxies.  That would sleuth well.  But one needs to have a different browser for non anonymous connections.  Still, I'd bet if one was wanted enough, there would still be cracks that would allow Law Enforcement agencies to snake in and locate a person of interest.

I'd rather try to stay on the 'safe side' of the freedom of speech line rather than employ such anonymizing tactics and cross the line in hopes my disguise was good enough.

I could not agree with you more. These types of threats need to be taken seriously. Once they have been investigated and deemed not credible, then charges can be dropped. I don't have any problem with this guy getting arrested but he probably should not have been convicted of a crime.

As for those who harassed Trestman's daughters, their comments were inexcusable. Their Twitter accounts should at least be suspended. Hopefully that would deter them from posting similar comments in the future.

The issue is this though: If the airport is forced to waste manpower with bomb units on site & dog detection protocols, that is real money wasted & someone needs to answer for that. 

When I was a graduate student a UW-Madison student, a woman attending the university lied about an abduction which forced the college to be locked down & more police officers were called up immediately. It turns out that the lady lied & had mental issues. My issue here is this: If a male student lied about a kidnapping, he would be prosecuted no questions asked, compelled to pay a heavy fine, & tarred & feathered. So no, this girl should not avoid a criminal record or walk away scot free to me. 

Tweet or not, this girl knew exactly what she did & no one held a gun to her head forcing her to write what she did or click send. JMO. 

Okay, I was referring to the Netherlands Airport bomb threat here not Mr. Trestman or his daughters. I apologize for the confusion here. My fault; not yours. 

I just never take "bomb" jokes lightly & even if the threat is not real I don't care what your age is....You're get arrested, finger printed, & a criminal record.

Meh... while I've probably shifted my natural political stance a bit as I've grown up I'd still take issue with people being arrested for this. In poor taste or not it wasn't directed at any one individual or individuals and was quite clearly a joke. To arrest someone for something like this sets a dangerous precedent really. I would add however that directly threatening and abusing an actual individual on Twitter is something completely different and that does start to cross the line into being a criminal act. 

"The way best way to prove a fool is a fool is to let him speak"

After 9/11, no airport, university, or business can afford to approach any verbalized threat as a joke. Like I said previously, it's about the manpower brought in, additional money spent, & any specialized vehicles or tools used to contain the crisis. 

The flip side is this: If threats are dismissed or ignored & tragic fatalities result, heads will roll administratively speaking. Plus, if no one is arrested, how does this act not get repeated or serve as a deterrent or promote public safety for all? 

A fair point but I think the (very small) difference was that it was clear from the original tweet it was never intended to be a threat, even as a joke, If he had said "I'm going to bomb the airport!" that's a bit different without the context of the rest of the tweet. 

Maybe it's a cultural thing? I'd be interested to see what any of the other UK posters think. When the case came up here in the UK the majority of the public perception was that it was step too far from what I remember.

I get what you mean hypothetically SCC, but you can't ascertain tone or intent from a tweet though. That's part of the reason I use emotion symbols from this site on here because I'm a very sarcastic person, but I don't want a remark I make to be misconstrued or misinterpreted by anyone. 

It could be a UK vs US cultural difference among countries SCC. That's a good point. Think of it like a zero tolerance policy to expressed acts of violence. No organization can put threats into a legitimate vs pulling your leg pile. Kids must learn that bomb references are never funny or acceptable under any circumstances. It's just that simple. 

We are cool BTW; I'm not upset with you at all SCC. We just have a difference of opinion in this thread that's all. Also, I firmly believe in steep penalties because you need to scare the crap out of copycat fools because if citizens know that criminal X got the book thrown at them they will be encouraged to walk away & not flush their lives down the toilet. Trust me. 

If any WallStreet investment banker got a 60 year prison sentence for selling worthless stock which contributed to the 2008 economic collapse in America, I can guarantee shady loan practices would get slowed down significantly. Yes, I know it's a different subject here, but the same punishment rule applies. Severe punishment leads to poster child fear & good behavior normally. 

The issue is this though: If the airport is forced to waste manpower with bomb units on site & dog detection protocols, that is real money wasted & someone needs to answer for that.

When I was a graduate student a UW-Madison student, a woman attending the university lied about an abduction which forced the college to be locked down & more police officers were called up immediately. It turns out that the lady lied & had mental issues. My issue here is this: If a male student lied about a kidnapping, he would be prosecuted no questions asked, compelled to pay a heavy fine, & tarred & feathered. So no, this girl should not avoid a criminal record or walk away scot free to me.

Tweet or not, this girl knew exactly what she did & no one held a gun to her head forcing her to write what she did or click send. JMO.

Okay, I was referring to the Netherlands Airport bomb threat here not Mr. Trestman or his daughters. I apologize for the confusion here. My fault; not yours.

I just never take "bomb" jokes lightly & even if the threat is not real I don't care what your age is....You're get arrested, finger printed, & a criminal record.

We don't disagree here. In fact, I agree with you 100%. As I wrote in my previous post, these threats must be taken seriously. And you're right in saying that wasting resources to investigate a false threat or false accusation should not go unpunished.

The woman who lied about the kidnapping should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The other woman who lied about that football player (Brian Banks, I believe) and destroyed his life should have spent many years in prison. That was reprehensible.

I get what you mean hypothetically SCC, but you can't ascertain tone or intent from a tweet though. That's part of the reason I use emotion symbols from this site on here because I'm a very sarcastic person, but I don't want a remark I make to be misconstrued or misinterpreted by anyone. 

It could be a UK vs US cultural difference among countries SCC. That's a good point. Think of it like a zero tolerance policy to expressed acts of violence. No organization can put threats into a legitimate vs pulling your leg pile. Kids must learn that bomb references are never funny or acceptable under any circumstances. It's just that simple. 

We are cool BTW; I'm not upset with you at all SCC. We just have a difference of opinion in this thread that's all. Also, I firmly believe in steep penalties because you need to scare the crap out of copycat fools because if citizens know that criminal X got the book thrown at them they will be encouraged to walk away & not flush their lives down the toilet. Trust me. 

If any WallStreet investment banker got a 60 year prison sentence for selling worthless stock which contributed to the 2008 economic collapse in America, I can guarantee shady loan practices would get slowed down significantly. Yes, I know it's a different subject here, but the same punishment rule applies. Severe punishment leads to poster child fear & good behavior normally. 

No worries SouthWest, it's interesting to see different opinions on topic such as these even if we are starting to skirt the no politics rule (oops!). I guess at the time Twitter was still something of a novelty and because, well for me anyway, it was so obviously just a guy being hyperbolic the reaction was ho ho big brother gone mad. 

Like with a lot of things in life, including yellow cards in soccer (:P), if you could have clear vision of the person's intent at the time it would make a lot of difference. However as we can't, and in these times we live in where safety concerns are very real, I can see why you'd advocate for a zero tolerance policy. 

As a side note I guess it must be strange for the US to go from a country with no real history of domestic terrorism to move into the "homeland security". I don't know if it's because we've had a long history here in the UK of such things that we are a bit more phlegmatic about things.

It's the Internet. None of those commenters mean what they say. They're on an emotional high, and posted spur of the moment comments. If the daughter posted a cheese grater to poke fun of Packers fans, then she had to have known it was coming when you have one of the biggest rivalries in NFL history.

Emotional high or not, those comments about raping her and drinking her blood etc were despicable and have no place on a posting board. There are some things that should bring about a permanent ban on Twitter or FB or whatever platform. Being mad, drunk or impaired by some other method does not give you free reign to speak to someone like that.

Classless and disgusting human beings these posters must be. That's not only crossing the line as a fan, that's sprinting and doing a high jump across the line of fandom