Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st round draft history - bad?

Our 1st rounders the past few seasons have been horrific. Most either were busts, became average players, or are no longer with the team.

2007 - Anthony Gonzalez

2008 - 1st rounder traded for 2007 pick, Tony Ugoh

2009 - Donald Brown

2010 - Jerry Hughes

2011 - Anthony Castonzo - finally, an exception.

2012 - see above

2013 - Bjoern Werner

2014 - Trent Richardson (effectively)

8 years, and only 1 pro-bowler of all of those drafts? Nobody a borderline "snub?"

I laugh when someone says that we should offer a 1st rounder to the Chiefs for Justin Houston. NFL's leading sack artist will command a far larger trade offer than the likes of what we have drafted thusfar. We can offer 2-3 1st rounders without a single player of Justin Houston's caliber.

Our 1st rounders the past few seasons have been horrific. Most either were busts, became average players, or are no longer with the team.

2007 - Anthony Gonzalez

2009 - Donald Brown

2010 - Jerry Hughes

2012 - see above

2013 - Bjoern Werner

8 years, and only 1 pro-bowler of all of those drafts? Nobody a borderline "snub?"

I laugh when someone says that we should offer a 1st rounder to the Chiefs for Justin Houston. NFL's leading sack artist will command a far larger trade offer than the likes of what we have drafted thusfar. We can offer 2-3 1st rounders without a single player of Justin Houston's caliber.

How many of these picks were in the top of the 1st. round? Kind of hard to pick pro bowlers when you are picking in the late stages of the 1st. round. You also failed to mention Luck so omitting the whole stat line to make a point is narrow minded IMO.

Every team has streaks of good picks and bad picks. Eventually the script will turn and the Colts will go on a run of really good picks. Also, I think that a majority of the Houston talk has come from the fact that he is in a contract year. I would expect Grigson to string along a couple good first round picks. Look at the excellence from this run of draft picks:

1996 Marvin Harrison

1997 Tarik Glenn

1998 Peyton Manning

1999 Edgerrin James

2000 Rob Morris - obvious outlier in this group

2001 Reggie Wayne

2002 Dwight Freeney

2003 Dallas Clark

2007 - Anthony Gonzalez

2009 - Donald Brown

2010 - Jerry Hughes

2012 - see above

2013 - Bjoern Werner

Ok, I actually thought about this subject at one point and here's what I think. We started rebuilding in 2012 and got a new GM in Ryan Grigson. We gutted the roster and kept a select few players while completely rebuilding. The only drafts that we can really judge for the new team are the last three (2012-2014). Yes, it does matter that a few picks in earlier years busted and they can't be carried over to the new rebuild, but Grigson has drafted three years, and we can only use those three years as to determine what to expect for the future. 

2012- Andrew Luck (Best player in the whole draft class)

2013 Bjoern Werner (Improving Player in his second year in a weak draft class)

2014 Trent Richardson (The worst of the three, but not drafted by us, received in a trade)

There's also more than a 1st round pick in each draft, as our 2012 and 2014 drafts should have taught you. Grigson is an excellent drafter and we should all have full confidence in him. Even if Trent is Average, the rest of the class makes up for it. We are in good hands with Ryan Grigson right now and I would maybe trade him for 1 or 2 GM's and that it.

That makes his 2015 1st round pick something to really watch. You can't even count Luck because it was the most obvious selection ever. Let's see what Grigson does. A lot of talent in this first round, so many ways to go. Werner is starting to turn it on, but I just hope it is a pick we can all get behind immediately, and isn't a head scratcher like Werner was.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Watson has never came close to throwing 40 TD's in a season, he had 33 this past season which was his best by far. Luck had 40 in 2014 and 39 in 2018. Not that the TD stat is everything but just pointing that out. Also Luck went into Houston during the 2018 playoffs when Watson had a fully loaded team and Luck spanked them on his hometurf. Luck was better so we will have to agree to disagree 
    • Mugabi was very solid, hit so hard and won a Silver medal at 1980 Olympics  (Lost to Aldama from Cuba who Sugar Ray beat for gold 4 years earlier). His bout vs Hagler was first fight shown on Showtime. He had a good career after that fight and won a world title though didnt hold it long.   Mustafa Hamsho was another whom brawled and banged with Hagler. Wilfred Benitez was another one I enjoyed during that time, turned pro at 15 and won world title at 17..
    • Nah. In Watson's 4 years, he had 3 years of better QBR ratings than Luck ever had. Same with Passer Rating. Watson has a higher TD% and lower INT%. Better AVG and ANY/A too. And Watson's rushing TD avg/game is almost twice that of Luck's.    Luck was good. Watson was just easily better.
    • I know you believe it is accurate.   You wouldn’t have posted it otherwise.   I’d explain the other point of view but someone would come along accusing me of trying to get everyone to think as I do.   Nothing could be further from the truth, a difference of opinion is what makes the world go around.    I’d simply say this...  our difference of opinion is the gap of the Grand Canyon.    It’s not a small difference, it’s a gigantic difference.   So I’m fine with you believing what you do.  There are others here who share the same opinion as you, so you’re not alone.    So keep being Brash and Bold.  You do you.   Good luck!     
    • Brandon Graham is another good comp. Good all around player who gets a lot of pressures, but doesn't have the finishing ability of a great pass rusher. He's never had a double digit sack season, and even in the years when he's close, he still has an average PRP.    I used Trey Flowers as a comp because of his three cone (Graham 7.01; Flowers 7.34; Lawson 7.46). And because he was the hot commodity when he was a free agent a couple years ago, and there was talk of his being able to produce more sacks in a different situation, and that hasn't been the case. I wanted Flowers, but I wouldn't sign a player with this profile for big money. Lawson might be the best edge on the roster, but that's more a reflection of the lack of good edges on the roster. He'd be a 7-8 sack guy.   Just coming back to pressures/disruption, I think it's very dangerous to not account for the wide range of outcomes on plays where the QB is pressured. In general, QB performance drops when the QB is pressured, but the results are very scattered. Some games, the QB is under a lot of pressure, but is still very productive and makes a lot of plays.    Look at all the plays Watson made against our defense, and his biggest plays came when he was pressured. We got a ton of pressure on him, and actually converted a good percentage into sacks, but in two games there were 30 plays on which he was pressured, but wasn't sacked. He completed 64% of his pressured attempts for 12 yards per, and passer rating of 89. Watson is a special playmaker, but it illustrates the point that not all pressures are negative plays for the offense. In fact, a pressure that doesn't get finished can easily hurt the defense.   On the other hand, a player who has a lot of sacks but a relatively low amount of pressures is probably a fluke. No one is going to convert 40% of their pressures into sacks over an extended period of time, so if a guy has 25 pressures and 12 sacks, that's probably an outlier. Justin Houston and Denico Autry don't get enough pressures to expect them to be 8-9 sack players every year.    If you could provide context on all 64 of Lawson's pressures in 2020, you'll probably see a good half of them were hits right after the QB released the ball, or he got a step on the blocker and maybe a hand on the QB, but the QB moved and Lawson couldn't bend/change direction enough to finish the play. Probably five are unblocked reps.    And in general, when you have a guy with a lot of pressures, but low sacks, it's because he can't finish consistently. And that guy doesn't become a good finisher in Year 5. Maybe there's an outlier 10 or 11 sack season here or there -- Erik Walden had an 11 sack season at one point -- but he's not going to transform into a really dangerous pass rusher out of the blue. If you pay big money for that guy, you're going to be disappointed.
  • Members

• NelsonLeonard

NelsonLeonard 0

Rookie
    • funktacious2

funktacious2 405

• WoolMagnet

WoolMagnet 3,114

• Jeddy88

Jeddy88 0

Rookie
    • dew5150