Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st round draft history - bad?

Our 1st rounders the past few seasons have been horrific. Most either were busts, became average players, or are no longer with the team.

2007 - Anthony Gonzalez

2008 - 1st rounder traded for 2007 pick, Tony Ugoh

2009 - Donald Brown

2010 - Jerry Hughes

2011 - Anthony Castonzo - finally, an exception.

2012 - see above

2013 - Bjoern Werner

2014 - Trent Richardson (effectively)

8 years, and only 1 pro-bowler of all of those drafts? Nobody a borderline "snub?"

I laugh when someone says that we should offer a 1st rounder to the Chiefs for Justin Houston. NFL's leading sack artist will command a far larger trade offer than the likes of what we have drafted thusfar. We can offer 2-3 1st rounders without a single player of Justin Houston's caliber.

Our 1st rounders the past few seasons have been horrific. Most either were busts, became average players, or are no longer with the team.

2007 - Anthony Gonzalez

2009 - Donald Brown

2010 - Jerry Hughes

2012 - see above

2013 - Bjoern Werner

8 years, and only 1 pro-bowler of all of those drafts? Nobody a borderline "snub?"

I laugh when someone says that we should offer a 1st rounder to the Chiefs for Justin Houston. NFL's leading sack artist will command a far larger trade offer than the likes of what we have drafted thusfar. We can offer 2-3 1st rounders without a single player of Justin Houston's caliber.

How many of these picks were in the top of the 1st. round? Kind of hard to pick pro bowlers when you are picking in the late stages of the 1st. round. You also failed to mention Luck so omitting the whole stat line to make a point is narrow minded IMO.

Every team has streaks of good picks and bad picks. Eventually the script will turn and the Colts will go on a run of really good picks. Also, I think that a majority of the Houston talk has come from the fact that he is in a contract year. I would expect Grigson to string along a couple good first round picks. Look at the excellence from this run of draft picks:

1996 Marvin Harrison

1997 Tarik Glenn

1998 Peyton Manning

1999 Edgerrin James

2000 Rob Morris - obvious outlier in this group

2001 Reggie Wayne

2002 Dwight Freeney

2003 Dallas Clark

2007 - Anthony Gonzalez

2009 - Donald Brown

2010 - Jerry Hughes

2012 - see above

2013 - Bjoern Werner

Ok, I actually thought about this subject at one point and here's what I think. We started rebuilding in 2012 and got a new GM in Ryan Grigson. We gutted the roster and kept a select few players while completely rebuilding. The only drafts that we can really judge for the new team are the last three (2012-2014). Yes, it does matter that a few picks in earlier years busted and they can't be carried over to the new rebuild, but Grigson has drafted three years, and we can only use those three years as to determine what to expect for the future. 

2012- Andrew Luck (Best player in the whole draft class)

2013 Bjoern Werner (Improving Player in his second year in a weak draft class)

2014 Trent Richardson (The worst of the three, but not drafted by us, received in a trade)

There's also more than a 1st round pick in each draft, as our 2012 and 2014 drafts should have taught you. Grigson is an excellent drafter and we should all have full confidence in him. Even if Trent is Average, the rest of the class makes up for it. We are in good hands with Ryan Grigson right now and I would maybe trade him for 1 or 2 GM's and that it.

That makes his 2015 1st round pick something to really watch. You can't even count Luck because it was the most obvious selection ever. Let's see what Grigson does. A lot of talent in this first round, so many ways to go. Werner is starting to turn it on, but I just hope it is a pick we can all get behind immediately, and isn't a head scratcher like Werner was.