Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sergio Brown Will Start Vs. Pats

Derakynn

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Average is better than what Landry was. But everyone here knows the safety position is still an issue. It'll be addressed in the off-season. But for now, it's better to take an average guy like Brown, over Landry who is a liability. If anything, rotate Landry in at ILB every now and then.

This is Laron Landry we're talking about, not Clay Matthews last night haha

You must not have seen the Playoff game in New England. Landry was especially bad against the run. It was the Colts D as a whole, but Blount made Landry look bad a lot in that game....or Landry made himself look bad. Either way, he isn't a run stopper.

Landry only missed on one play in that game (at least, badly), and I think the problem was with RJF's play up front, which opened up a lane where there shouldn't have been one. 

Chuck knows what he is doing.  He isn't about to throw in somebody into the mix, who was underperforming and coming back from a suspension.  Sergio is our best bet right now.  I do think Landry will see alot of snaps after this game, and will be counting on him to make his way back to being the full time starting safety.  He needs some games especially opportunities against weak teams to boost his confidence and get him in the swing of things.  If all goes well our secondary will be just as good if not better than the Patriots (with depth) heading into the playoffs. 

all im saying is let them feed off each other. brown is better at coverage, landry is better at run support 

And if the Patriots were kind enough to tell the Colts in advance what kind of play the are going to run, then I think you would be onto something.  Personally I think those sneaky SOB's may not do that and may in fact throw the ball on first down on occassion. 

For all of those claiming either that Landry is better than Brown or that Brown has not impressed them, let's take a look at what Pro Football Focus (PFF) has to say . . .

"This season has been much better for Brown though, starting in place of suspended LaRon Landry for the past four games. Brown has performed well, picking up a QB hit and a crucial sack on 4th-and-1 in the red zone. He’s been stout against the run, with five tackles and four stops when lined up within eight yards of the line of scrimmage, for a 13.8 Run Stop Percentage. In coverage Brown has allowed a respectable 0.23 Yards per Cover Snap, and has been far from the liability he was two seasons ago.

The much better-paid Landry has similar stats, including a sack and a hit (on eight less blitzes). Landry’s four tackles and two stops when lining up close to the LoS give him a 6.7 Run Stop Percentage, while he has conceded 0.95 Yards per Cover Snap, both worse than Brown’s marks."

And if the Patriots were kind enough to tell the Colts in advance what kind of play the are going to run, then I think you would be onto something. Personally I think those sneaky SOB's may not do that and may in fact throw the ball on first down on occassion.

They are known cheaters after all

You must not have seen the Playoff game in New England. Landry was especially bad against the run. It was the Colts D as a whole, but Blount made Landry look bad a lot in that game....or Landry made himself look bad. Either way, he isn't a run stopper.

This. If I remember correctly that long run in the 4th by Blount was because Landry whiffed on him.

I agree that Bethea wasn't great, but as bad as Landry? I disagree. Bethea still made plays at times, when Landry very rarely made a positive play.

Both were awful but made plays. Remember Landry gave himself a concussion in the Chiefs playoff game when he stopped the big FB I think it was

He's also shown this season with a half decent safety alongside he's a lot better than "pitiful". Try All Pro at this rate.

I don't know if it's because of the better safety at his side or if it's because of the pretty good defensive front, or what, but Bethea is playing really well this year. I wish he had played like this the past two years, because he'd probably still be here. But he didn't, so he's not... oh well.

I don't know if it's because of the better safety at his side or if it's because of the pretty good defensive front, or what, but Bethea is playing really well this year. I wish he had played like this the past two years, because he'd probably still be here. But he didn't, so he's not... oh well.

My thoughts exactly, regret but he hadn't earnt the pay day he wanted. I felt too that him and Landry was always a reciepe for underwhelming play from both.

Not sure if the SF defensive front is all the right now with who they're missing but they've played pretty well the last few games, Bethea though has really stepped it back up, he was monster against the Saints, made the Byrd deal look even worse :P

My thoughts exactly, regret but he hadn't earnt the pay day he wanted. I felt too that him and Landry was always a reciepe for underwhelming play from both.

Not sure if the SF defensive front is all the right now with who they're missing but they've played pretty well the last few games, Bethea though has really stepped it back up, he was monster against the Saints, made the Byrd deal look even worse :P

Chris Borland has been a monster the past two weeks. Makes Bethea's job a little easier on the back end. 

And Borland, by the way, has been making me look stupid. He's looked rangy and explosive, two things that I never thought I'd say about him. Let's see if he keeps it up, but he looks pretty good. Had 17 tackles yesterday, 18 tackles last week, he's been decent in coverage, etc.

But he was better than Landry and reliable.

True, can't argue with that. Our problem is the front 7. And then the interchangeable safety thing.

There's nothing wrong with that, but only if you have the safeties that can actually interchange. Landry is a LB/SS..... Nothing more. He's not a FS and never will be

Then the front 7 doesn't generate much rush. I remember back in Janoris Jenkins rookie year when he strapped Larry Fitzgerald cause Long & Quick had I believe it was Palmer or whoever the QB was then on the ground all night. Rush makes the secondary job so much easier

Bethea is actually a solid safety, he's no Earl Thomas or anyone but he's solid. Thus why he's playing so well in San Francisco. He has a more complete defense (mostly a front 7) than he's had since the Bob Sanders days here in Indy

Yes because Tom Brady is the perfect QB to blitz, especially if it the same guy rushing all the time. No way would he figure that out.

Laron is going to be used to blitz and stop the RB out of the backfield on passing plays. That's what he is good at.

And cover Gronk most of the time.

Honestly I think 1v1 with Gronk. I think Landry can tackle Gronk down all by himself with those huge biceps.

No one has seen what Landry looks like since the bust

Who's to say his biceps don't look normal now?

The enhancers could've made them look like that. What do they look like naturally?

No one has seen what Landry looks like since the bust

Who's to say his biceps don't look normal now?

The enhancers could've made them look like that. What do they look like naturally?

The guy is a workout machine and I'm sure he's still beyond normal in reference to his muscular size. They make things to help you maintain your gains..

True, can't argue with that. Our problem is the front 7. And then the interchangeable safety thing.

There's nothing wrong with that, but only if you have the safeties that can actually interchange. Landry is a LB/SS..... Nothing more. He's not a FS and never will be

Then the front 7 doesn't generate much rush. I remember back in Janoris Jenkins rookie year when he strapped Larry Fitzgerald cause Long & Quick had I believe it was Palmer or whoever the QB was then on the ground all night. Rush makes the secondary job so much easier

Bethea is actually a solid safety, he's no Earl Thomas or anyone but he's solid. Thus why he's playing so well in San Francisco. He has a more complete defense (mostly a front 7) than he's had since the Bob Sanders days here in Indy

That's why we shouldn't expect anything big from our safeties. Pagano doesn't have the personnel he needs there. It'll have to be addressed in the draft. Look at the teams now who may prefer the typical safety scheme, but have guys they drafted who are interchangeable if need be: The Cardinals have Bucannon and Mathieu who are interchangeable.  The Ravens have Matt Elam and Terrance Brooks. The Seahawks obviously.

Neither Brown nor Landry are the long term answer at safety for this team (neither is Adams at 34), but for right now it has to be Brown and not Landry.