Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay truly is clueless

Higg82

For a couple years now I have been saying Jim Irsay is a clueless goof that has no concept on how to be a real team owner as he instead tries to act like the "cool guy" to the players and fans. Basically, he acts the way one would expect a guy who inherited a franchise from his father to act. This proves this:

"A Colts source said Manning told Irsay a five-year, $100-million proposal that was heavily back-loaded in the final two years was not necessary to give him a $20 million average that no NFL player has ever attained. Manning is content with a salary equal to or less than what Patriots quarterback Tom Brady received in an $18 million a year deal in 2010. Irsay is trying to persuade him otherwise."

Well first off, what really proved this was the fact he kept saying he'd make Manning the highest paid which is *ic from a negotiating standpoint. What employer goes and says that crap before negotiations? Onto the above info...

So Irsay who again is a TEAM OWNER is trying to convince one of his employees to take MORE than he wants to take. Do you think Bob Kraft or any owner with a clue would do this? No. They would see the player wants to take less and would give him less and use the money saved to lock up key guys or get players to make the team better. Irsay of course can't do this because it is all about his image and his ego rather than what is better for the team.

To Jim, he wants to have the status symbol of being the guy that gave the record contract out and I am sure in this case he also looks at the *ic Brady/Manning debate so he figures this somehow adds to Peyton being better. In Jim's mind, he gets "coolness points" with the players if he shows the love to his franchise player and he may possibly do this to show other payers around the league that he will take care of his guys which of course is silly since he refuses to ever get free agents. This also shows his ego because he doesn't want to look like a chump for saying Manning would be the highest paid player and end up not being that. Thankfully Peyton spoke out so no matter what, he has gone on record saying this contract crap is not on him so Jim comes out looking the fool regardless.

Jim also does not care about Peyton which I have suspected for quite some time and now have it confirmed. Why do I say this when I am sure some will say he does since he wants to give him more money? Because he knows Peyton is judged by playoff success and Jim does not want to make the team better which would give Peyton a better hope at playoff success. He also knows Peyton is criticized for everything and he will be criticized if he gets paid 20 mil+/yr. The fact that Manning is willing to take a pay cut shows his goal is wanting to WIN rather than be paid as much as possible yet Jim does not care about this. He WANTS Peyton to have to keep dealing with carrying the team and no doubt getting frustrated by it. So if he cared about Peyton he would respect his wishes of wanting to WIN and would give Peyton less and use the saved cash to go improve this team which again, would please Peyton more than the extra few million a year. That this is apparently not happening simply shows it is all about what Jim wants and crap like Manning's "legacy" does not matter. The media and silly non-Colts fans don't go and point out Irsay's failings when the Colts keep coming up short....it's always just Peyton and Irsay is quite content with that scenario.

Jim is a loser owner who simply doesn't care about winning or doing what is the best interest for the team. It's all about him and unless he magically puts his ego aside and quits trying to act like the "cool guy" owner, this team will never win anything of value with him as the owner and the rest of Manning's career will be a waste in terms of having a good shot at winning another championship. If I were Peyton and Jim keeps acting like this, I'd refuse to sign the contract and play out the franchise year and bolt for a team that is owned by a guy who actually wants to see his team and star player win some more superbowls. The Colts have shown they do NOT have the roster right now to go all the way and Peyton knows this yet again, Jim does not care.

The only thing that separates the Colts from the Bengals is the fact Indy has Peyton and that Irsay doesn't try and be the GM like Mike Brown. Both Brown and Irsay are equal in the clueless area and surprise surprise, both guys inherited their teams. I have nothing against people inheriting businesses or money...all I'm saying is they clearly were not born with the ability or drive to be solid business men and they don't have the drive to be winners and would not own teams if it weren't for their luck of who their fathers were.

I am sure Peyton is incredibly envious of Brady since Brady lucked out on being drafted to a team that has a fantastic owner and fantastic coach/GM who all want to win rather than try and act cool.

For a couple years now I have been saying Jim Irsay is a clueless goof that has no concept on how to be a real team owner as he instead tries to act like the "cool guy" to the players and fans. Basically, he acts the way one would expect a guy who inherited a franchise from his father to act. This proves this:

"A Colts source said Manning told Irsay a five-year, $100-million proposal that was heavily back-loaded in the final two years was not necessary to give him a $20 million average that no NFL player has ever attained. Manning is content with a salary equal to or less than what Patriots quarterback Tom Brady received in an $18 million a year deal in 2010. Irsay is trying to persuade him otherwise."

Well first off, what really proved this was the fact he kept saying he'd make Manning the highest paid which is *ic from a negotiating standpoint. What employer goes and says that crap before negotiations? Onto the above info...

So Irsay who again is a TEAM OWNER is trying to convince one of his employees to take MORE than he wants to take. Do you think Bob Kraft or any owner with a clue would do this? No. They would see the player wants to take less and would give him less and use the money saved to lock up key guys or get players to make the team better. Irsay of course can't do this because it is all about his image and his ego rather than what is better for the team.

To Jim, he wants to have the status symbol of being the guy that gave the record contract out and I am sure in this case he also looks at the *ic Brady/Manning debate so he figures this somehow adds to Peyton being better. In Jim's mind, he gets "coolness points" with the players if he shows the love to his franchise player and he may possibly do this to show other payers around the league that he will take care of his guys which of course is silly since he refuses to ever get free agents. This also shows his ego because he doesn't want to look like a chump for saying Manning would be the highest paid player and end up not being that. Thankfully Peyton spoke out so no matter what, he has gone on record saying this contract crap is not on him so Jim comes out looking the fool regardless.

Jim also does not care about Peyton which I have suspected for quite some time and now have it confirmed. Why do I say this when I am sure some will say he does since he wants to give him more money? Because he knows Peyton is judged by playoff success and Jim does not want to make the team better which would give Peyton a better hope at playoff success. He also knows Peyton is criticized for everything and he will be criticized if he gets paid 20 mil+/yr. The fact that Manning is willing to take a pay cut shows his goal is wanting to WIN rather than be paid as much as possible yet Jim does not care about this. He WANTS Peyton to have to keep dealing with carrying the team and no doubt getting frustrated by it. So if he cared about Peyton he would respect his wishes of wanting to WIN and would give Peyton less and use the saved cash to go improve this team which again, would please Peyton more than the extra few million a year. That this is apparently not happening simply shows it is all about what Jim wants and crap like Manning's "legacy" does not matter. The media and silly non-Colts fans don't go and point out Irsay's failings when the Colts keep coming up short....it's always just Peyton and Irsay is quite content with that scenario.

Jim is a loser owner who simply doesn't care about winning or doing what is the best interest for the team. It's all about him and unless he magically puts his ego aside and quits trying to act like the "cool guy" owner, this team will never win anything of value with him as the owner and the rest of Manning's career will be a waste in terms of having a good shot at winning another championship. If I were Peyton and Jim keeps acting like this, I'd refuse to sign the contract and play out the franchise year and bolt for a team that is owned by a guy who actually wants to see his team and star player win some more superbowls. The Colts have shown they do NOT have the roster right now to go all the way and Peyton knows this yet again, Jim does not care.

The only thing that separates the Colts form the Bengals is the fact Indy has Peyton and that Irsay doesn't try and be GM like Mike Brown. Both Borwn and Irsay are equal in the clueless area and surprise surprise, both guys inherited their teams. I have nothing against people inheriting businesses or money...all I'm saying is they clearly were not born with the ability or drive to be solid business men and would not own teams if it weren't for their luck of who their fathers were.

U might be right about him wanting to look good by over paying for Manning. I think he was just rapped up in the moment after last season and he didnt want Peyton to think there was going to be any problems with his contract. He wanted him to know that he is the franchise and shoot almost the face of the league really. He wanted Peyton to know that he understood that and didnt want him even thinking about considering any offfer out there by someone else. Not that he would have.

Jim just gets excited dude. He is a kid at heart. Your right, maybe Jims not the saviest sports owner in the world, but he does want the best for the Colts. That is why he lets Polian run the show for the most part. He has said this more then once, and said he just writes the checks. As far as Peyton is conserned, I am glad he did come out and say something. He wasnt just trying to get himself out of the greedy conversaion, I really believe he was helping Jim take his foot out of his mouth. These two really do respect eachother.

Oh and on Manning being jealous of Brady, well who isnt. Have you seen is wife! But its not because he plays for New England.

I'll take "Incoherent Rants" for 800, Alex.

lol'd at this but I do agree to a degree with the rant though it could have been a simple, "Irsay still wants to pay Manning 20 mil of cap space which is pretty dumb"

You can't judge how he runs his business before actually seeing what he does behind the scenes...or would it be behind the field...

The Colts are arguably the most successful franchise in the last 10 years and Irsay has had a major say in that. It's clear you're frustrated, probably at the lack of FAs we have signed, but that's just how the Colts run their business. Irsay is a good owner, he knows what he is doing.

You can't judge how he runs his business before actually seeing what he does behind the scenes...or would it be behind the field...

The Colts are arguably the most successful franchise in the last 10 years and Irsay has had a major say in that. It's clear you're frustrated, probably at the lack of FAs we have signed, but that's just how the Colts run their business. Irsay is a good owner, he knows what he is doing.

No I don't think so! Successful Franchise is winning the superbowl not going to the playoffs and go home, a lot of teams does that and continue to do this every year is not success if the tem's goal is the super bowl.

No I don't think so! Successful Franchise is winning the superbowl not going to the playoffs and go home, a lot of teams does that and continue to do this every year is not success if the tem's goal is the super bowl.

The Colts vision, execution, and success are all laid out to be seen. We've been the best franchise for 10 years. However, what you need to realize is making it to the Superbowl is not just talent and FA's. There is a massive amount of luck involved with skill. The ball must fall a certain way in the playoffs, an opponent drops a pass, we win the coin toss... it goes on. I trust this organization to make the right moves.

So by that logic, there is only 1 successful team each year? Winning the most regular season games of any team in a decade in NFL history means nothing? Having the streak for most consecutive regular season wins means nothing? Winning the division and making the playoffs means nothing? The Pats and Steelers are also successful franchises, but neither team has been successful by your standards in a while. The Rams nearly made the playoffs, they had a successful season. The Panthers going .500 next year would be a successful season.

What are you talking about? Did you just start watching football in the last 5 years or....?...??

What frickin team wins the SuperBowl every year? Success isn't defined by those terms.

Hidden

i think of "my" irsay as "baby jesus", but some ppl may like "tuxedo shirt jesus"

by this i mean i have a crazy fascination of what i think jim irsay is..

ok we all read his tweets on the front of the colts website..and how many times do they make sense..maybe 1/4?

i like to think that "my irsay" is always cruisin in a limo @ 4 am w loose women n blow and constantly got a glass of johnny walker n his hand with the bottle not 2 far away..and as he works his way through his life he knows 1 thing..

how 2 blow ish up!!

hes like the un-athletic kenny powers so 2 speak

anyway if u r reading this jim, hit me up sometime..im always up @ 4 am!!

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely *ic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

The Colts went from being the laughing stock of the NFL to one of the premiere teams in the NFL after Jim Irsay took over. If that is the definition of a clueless owner then I'm glad my favorite team has a clueless owner.

he is, after all, the first colts owner we've ever heard speak minus the influence of alcohol

(all due repect for the dearly departed)

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely *ic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

...a simple no would have done...great movie!