Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell Wilson Stat

dw49

I think if he had better receivers, it would be a different story. They were saying yesterday during the game just how woeful his WRs are and although there were open guys yesterday there was no reason to pass given the Giants run D was a sieve.

He did the something last year.....according to guys like Dilfer, Hasselbeck and Greg Cossell. Wilson just underutilizes the talent around him...be it Zack Miller or Percy Harvin.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did the something last year.....according to guys like Dilfer, Hasselbeck and Greg Cossell. Wilson just underutilizes the talent around him...be it Zack Miller or Percy Harvin.

I thought he did a great job with Harvin when Harvin was on the field that is. They shipped him out for character issues. I am not sure you can say he under utilized anyone when he hasn't had anyone even Harvin is not a pure route runner more of a scat back mis-direction guy who is good in space. I would like to see them go out and get him a legit WR like a TY or Brown and a legit TE like a Davis or Whitten.

I thought he did a great job with Harvin when Harvin was on the field that is. They shipped him out for character issues. I am not sure you can say he under utilized anyone when he hasn't had anyone even Harvin is not a pure route runner more of a scat back mis-direction guy who is good in space. I would like to see them go out and get him a legit WR like a TY or Brown and a legit TE like a Davis or Whitten.

I think tate is proving he is a stud. To say otherwise at this point would be silly.

I think tate is proving he is a stud. To say otherwise at this point would be silly.

He had a good year last year too with Wilson though. Seattle does not run anything close to Detroit in terms of offensive style too. Doubt Lynch would have the yards he has if he played for Detroit as he simply would not get the carries nor have a QB like Wilson who can run the read option and make the defense respect his ability to run. Different offensive mentalities.

He had a good year last year too with Wilson though. Seattle does not run anything close to Detroit in terms of offensive style too. Doubt Lynch would have the yards he has if he played for Detroit as he simply would not get the carries nor have a QB like Wilson who can run the read option and make the defense respect his ability to run. Different offensive mentalities.

Tate has more catches, yards and tds in 9 games than he did the entire season last year. Clearly the lions throw the ball more, but not that much more

Tate has more catches, yards and tds in 9 games than he did the entire season last year. Clearly the lions throw the ball more, but not that much more

She has a crush on Wilson just like she does Tom they both are the closest rivals to our 2 most successful QBs so there is no winning with her no mater how many things you prove in your favor

He has way more targets period. But the Lions don't run as much either as Seattle. They are a throw it down the field team.

He has about as many targets already that he had all year last year. Wilson threw the ball 407 times last year. Stafford has thrown it 339 so far this year

Harvin wasn't doing much at all.

Tate is a very good receiver. And Paul Richaedson, while just a rookie, is very talented.

Zach Miller was a legit receiving threat before he got to Seattle.....been close to invisible the last few yes.

Different mentalities or working around Wilson's deficiencies? Bevel's offense in Minnesota with Favre was quite different. Although, I do like the smash mouth style.

Harvin wasn't doing much at all.

Tate is a very good receiver. And Paul Richaedson, while just a rookie, is very talented.

Zach Miller was a legit receiving threat before he got to Seattle.....been close to invisible the last few yes.

Harvin looked good early in the season but then he soured at least according to Seattle which is why they let him go. I don't think any receivers are going to have huge numbers with Seattle. Kind of like Pitt all those years when they were a run first, defense first team. I do think they need to get Wilson better weapons. We will see if Richardson progresses and how they use Miller but their Oline is pretty bad. Although they did get some starters back yesterday and you could see the difference as they mauled the Giants up front.

Different mentalities or working around Wilson's deficiencies? Bevel's offense in Minnesota with Favre was quite different. Although, I do like the smash mouth style.

Sure. I think we have established that he is not in the same vein as Brady, Manning, Luck so credit to Seattle's staff for engineering that O around him. That is why I think this whole thread is bunk. Seattle's O is never going to look like the Pats or Colts but they win and they win smash mouth which I like too. Hard to argue given they have the ring and are in position to make another run this year.

Sure. I think we have established that he is not in the same vein as Brady, Manning, Luck so credit to Seattle's staff for engineering that O around him. That is why I think this whole thread is bunk. Seattle's O is never going to look like the Pats or Colts but they win and they win smash mouth which I like too. Hard to argue given they have the ring and are in position to make another run this year.

I'm not questioning what they do.....just not sure how good Wilson actually is.

I think there is a difference between being a great passer and a great QB. Wilson will never be a great passer but that does not mean he won't be or already is a great QB. His all around game is great even if he lacks in the pocket. If it wasn't, he would have been gone by now.

I think there is a difference between being a great passer and a great QB. Wilson will never be a great passer but that does not mean he won't be or already is a great QB. His all around game is great even if he lacks in the pocket. If it wasn't, he would have been gone by now.

Gone? Last time I checked there were quite a few mediocre QBs in the league. Hell, Joe Flacco has stuck around being a bit above average.

He does not have anywhere close to the weapons the other elites have. No TY, no Gronk, no Thomases, no Nelson. He has average guys but until he gets a legit threat than I think this discussion is tabled.

He had tate and harvin last year, though harvin was injured for a large portion of it .... Doug Baldwin would put up good numbers in Indy, Denver or green bay. And none of those teams have the running game Seattle has

He had tate and harvin last year, though harvin was injured for a large portion of it .... Doug Baldwin would put up good numbers in Indy, Denver or green bay. And none of those teams have the running game Seattle has

He won the SB with those guys. :)

I really don't get the point of this thread. You want him to win AND put up big numbers? The guy utilizes the talent around him very well and that talent has not been elite outside of Lynch. He works well inside of what Seattle wants to do and that is run the ball and lots of misdirection in the pass game and play action. He is also a big part of the run game as well.

No. Not for a third round pick, right? Not for a guy like you said projected to be a 5th round pick. And the Hawks gave up a #2 for Flynn and a boat load of money and he never saw the field.

Rodgers was not going to start from day one no matter who was in front him. His mechanics needed a lot of work.

You really are impossible to have an intelligent conversation with. 

1) I said the ignorant draftniks projected him to be a 5th round pick. That would mean it is crap... correct ? 

2) Since I follow the draft very closely and remember nothing about this "bad mechanics issue ," I read through a bunch of scouting reports on him and they mention him being a "bit mechanical" but no where do I find that he had terrible mechanics and would need to sit for 3 years to work on his mechanics. I'm sure you can find somebody that said they didn't like his mechanics but for sure that wasn't the general consensus.  I mean he was supposedly like 50-50 with A Smith to go first overall to the 49ers. Then the word was the guy that didn't get picked (he or Alex Smith) had a real chance of falling. It happened ...and in a big way . My memory is very good , it was a shock to everyone that he lasted all the way down to the 20's of the first round. There was never talk of "bad mechanics." 

3) " a number 2 and a boat load of money."  Again , either your on drugs , have vivid dreams or just make crap up and feel no one is smart enough to know it's not true..  Green Bay didn't franchise Flynn , so Seattle they didn't give up any second round pick. They gave up a "no round pick." He was a free agent , simple as that. As for the money , he received a 6 mill signing bonus , a two million $ guaranteed base salary in 2012. His 5 mill base in 2013 had another 2 mill in guaranteed. If he had won the stating QB job , it would have been a dirt cheap contract. Hardly a boatload of money for a guy figuring to start in the NFL.

What al the above means is that he was not rated highly by Green Bay or anyone else in the NFL. Green Bay didn't franchise him as they knew they would get stuck with a ridiculous contract. The rest of the teams proved it by the deal Seattle signed him to which was no where close to what  a starting NFL QB receives.

Here's what Vic Ketchum , a beat writer for GB had to say about it. No compensation and received "RoB johnson type money of 10 years ago . Johnson has started one game for Buffalo before going to Jacksonville. What he means by " immediate compensation" is they would later receive a compensatory pick in the following NFL draft. 

Ketchum.....

March 19, 2012 - Ask Vic: Thoughts on Flynn and Wells

By Vic Ketchman, packers.com editor

s__9ae31830-0605-482d-be56-b922d721b251_

Rick from Valley Springs, CA

Did we let Flynn get away without any compensation for him?

Where have you been, Rick? We've detailed the circumstances surrounding Matt Flynn's departure for the past several months. It was impossible for the Packers to secure immediate compensation for Flynn without taking a huge risk by putting the franchise tag on him, and after seeing how long it took for him to sign with a team and the contract he got from the Seahawks, I'm absolutely convinced the Packers did the right thing by not franchising him. The risk far outweighed the gain; obviously, the Packers knew that. I missed the boat on Flynn. I thought he would be a break-the-bank signing, but he barely got Rob Johnson money 14 years after Johnson was traded for a one and a four, and Johnson only had one game behind him.

Oh and BTW.. if Flynn were a good QB and Wilson just plain beat out a good QB , the why couldn't Seattle get more than a 5th for him ?

He won the SB with those guys. :)

I really don't get the point of this thread. You want him to win AND put up big numbers? The guy utilizes the talent around him very well and that talent has not been elite outside of Lynch. He works well inside of what Seattle wants to do and that is run the ball and lots of misdirection in the pass game and play action. He is also a big part of the run game as well.

The point is he isn't good throwing deep from the pocket. It is laid right in the first post of the thread. He is a runningback that throws the ball whole scrambling around. It's working, But he will suffer the RG3 fate at some point

The point is he isn't good throwing deep from the pocket. It is laid right in the first post of the thread. He is a runningback that throws the ball whole scrambling around. It's working, But he will suffer the RG3 fate at some point

Sure but not sure what that means. He has a ring and in position to contend at this point. He is not RG at all. RG is reckless and has issues passing period. Russell is smart and heady with his running usually sliding or going out of bounds. He is also thicker physically than RG and can absorb hits. He is basically the anti-RG. I think he is here to stay but we will see if Seattle can sustain this O long term.

You really are impossible to have an intelligent conversation with. 

1) I said the ignorant draftniks projected him to be a 5th round pick. That would mean it is crap... correct ? 

2) Since I follow the draft very closely and remember nothing about this "bad mechanics issue ," I read through a bunch of scouting reports on him and they mention him being a "bit mechanical" but no where do I find that he had terrible mechanics and would need to sit for 3 years to work on his mechanics. I'm sure you can find somebody that said they didn't like his mechanics but for sure that wasn't the general consensus.  I mean he was supposedly like 50-50 with A Smith to go first overall to the 49ers. Then the word was the guy that didn't get picked (he or Alex Smith) had a real chance of falling. It happened ...and in a big way . My memory is very good , it was a shock to everyone that he lasted all the way down to the 20's of the first round. There was never talk of "bad mechanics." 

3) " a number 2 and a boat load of money."  Again , either your on drugs , have vivid dreams or just make crap up and feel no one is smart enough to know it's not true..  Green Bay didn't franchise Flynn , so Seattle they didn't give up any second round pick. They gave up a "no round pick." He was a free agent , simple as that. As for the money , he received a 6 mill signing bonus , a two million $ guaranteed base salary in 2012. His 5 mill base in 2013 had another 2 mill in guaranteed. If he had won the stating QB job , it would have been a dirt cheap contract. Hardly a boatload of money for a guy figuring to start in the NFL.

What al the above means is that he was not rated highly by Green Bay or anyone else in the NFL. Green Bay didn't franchise him as they knew they would get stuck with a ridiculous contract. The rest of the teams proved it by the deal Seattle signed him to which was no where close to what  a starting NFL QB receives.

Here's what Vic Ketchum , a beat writer for GB had to say about it. No compensation and received "RoB johnson type money of 10 years ago . Johnson has started one game for Buffalo before going to Jacksonville. What he means by " immediate compensation" is they would later receive a compensatory pick in the following NFL draft. 

Ketchum.....

March 19, 2012 - Ask Vic: Thoughts on Flynn and Wells

By Vic Ketchman, packers.com editor

s__9ae31830-0605-482d-be56-b922d721b251_

Rick from Valley Springs, CA

Did we let Flynn get away without any compensation for him?

Where have you been, Rick? We've detailed the circumstances surrounding Matt Flynn's departure for the past several months. It was impossible for the Packers to secure immediate compensation for Flynn without taking a huge risk by putting the franchise tag on him, and after seeing how long it took for him to sign with a team and the contract he got from the Seahawks, I'm absolutely convinced the Packers did the right thing by not franchising him. The risk far outweighed the gain; obviously, the Packers knew that. I missed the boat on Flynn. I thought he would be a break-the-bank signing, but he barely got Rob Johnson money 14 years after Johnson was traded for a one and a four, and Johnson only had one game behind him.

Oh and BTW.. if Flynn were a good QB and Wilson just plain beat out a good QB , the why couldn't Seattle get more than a 5th for him ?

yes, had him confused with Schaub for the #2. My bad. Still, Russell beat him out and Flynn was considered one of the hottest back QBs that season given his success backing up Rodgers.

I remember the scuttle on Rodgers. No one has ever said if he should have sat 3 years and for sure Favre had something to do with it but he was not as ready as Wilson was coming out of the draft.

lol. When you have megatron on the other side, you are going to have great stats. The Lions offense is stacked all around actually.

We had this conversation before. I said Tate is big time and you didn't think so.

Look at his stats when Megatron was not playing the last 2 games.

yes, had him confused with Schaub for the #2. My bad. Still, Russell beat him out and Flynn was considered one of the hottest back QBs that season given his success backing up Rodgers.

I remember the scuttle on Rodgers. No one has ever said if he should have sat 3 years and for sure Favre had something to do with it but he was not as ready as Wilson was coming out of the draft.

Thing is we sometimes get caught up in the "talking head " hype. We listened to them and saw a few clips on that last game he played for GB and believed he was a hot commodity. As Vic Ketchum rightfully points out , GB didn't think much of him and his contract that he signed with Seattle didn't reflect that he was highly sought after.

This reminds me a bit of the Mallett situation. Seems like if he has a lot of talent , some team would have given up more than a 7th . I mean as valuable as draft picks have become , some GM's leave them at a good restaurant for a tip. Just very , very little value in a 7th round pick. At least Mallett as enough arm to make the throws. That was not the case with Flynn.

Thing is we sometimes get caught up in the "talking head " hype. We listened to them and saw a few clips on that last game he played for GB and believed he was a hot commodity. As Vic Ketchum rightfully points out , GB didn't think much of him and his contract that he signed with Seattle didn't reflect that he was highly sought after.

This reminds me a bit of the Mallett situation. Seems like if he has a lot of talent , some team would have given up more than a 7th . I mean as valuable as draft picks have become , some GM's leave them at a good restaurant for a tip. Just very , very little value in a 7th round pick. At least Mallett as enough arm to make the throws. That was not the case with Flynn.

Qb evaluations fascinate me. It is the one position they seem to get wrong all the time both ways - believe one guy to be great and another guy to be horrible.

What hurt Mallett the most in terms of value was how good Jimmy was in the preseason.

Mallett was pretty stinky in the "audition" he had.

Yes. He never looked good in the preseason. Any of them. You know neither did Matt Cassell and look what happened to him? Goes to show you never really know until a guy gets a shot. I am rooting for Mallett to do well with the Texans. He was saying that he didn't know after four years if he would ever get a chance to start. I hope he makes the most of it. He is in a dream position with that D, run game and Andre Johnson and a HC that knows how to coach Qbs.

Yes. He never looked good in the preseason. Any of them. You know neither did Matt Cassell and look what happened to him? Goes to show you never really know until a guy gets a shot. I am rooting for Mallett to do well with the Texans. He was saying that he didn't know after four years if he would ever get a chance to start. I hope he makes the most of it. He is in a dream position with that D, run game and Andre Johnson and a HC that knows how to coach Qbs.

What I've read is that he lacks good touch. But we shall see and as you say , he's now in a perfect situation to succeed.

He's a nice little QB that is fine playing for the team with the best roster in football. She will keep throwing the "ring thing " at what you eyes see as very obvious. He's a QB that can't play from the pocket as he's too short. When his legs lose a little " spring" and NFL defenses adjust a little better , he will fall off a bit. What won Seattle a SB was not Russel Wilson , it was developing a great secondary and pass rush. It's a passing league and they loaded up to stop it. Three all pro type players (Sherman Thomas and Chancellor) in the secondary and Irvin , Avril and Bennett rushing the passer. Is there anyone with an IQ of over 70 that thought Russell Wilson beat Manning and Denver rather than the 6 guys I mention ?

Having to rough it with the 3rd ranked defense in the league. What a burden.

Did you watch the Carolina game ? I did and the only thing that kept Carolina in the game was the fact that they made Wilson play football from the pocket for 58 minutes. I watched the whole game and he was absolutely terrible .Panthers lost control in the last 2 minutes and he made a throw or two and had a good run. But fact is a very bad team would have beat them if not for a terrific defense that kept bailing RW and the offense out for the first 58 minutes.