Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qbs Holding For Kickers?

21isSuperman

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2011/12/02/stop-the-insanity-starting-qbs-should-not-be-holding-kicks/?module=HP11_content_stream

1) During the week, he has less time at practice, than say, the punter or third string quarterback, who can spend hours with the long snapper and kicker.

2) During the game, he has an untold number of things to keep straight. Who is blitzing? How can we adjust our game plan? How can I get my prima donna receiver involved so he doesn’t quit on me? What didn’t work on that last drive?

3) During the few seconds after a touchdown is scored or before a field goal attempt, it’s the end of a drive that’s taxed the quarterback. He’s mentally and physically exhausted. Not the best moment to have him perform a task that’s all about focus.

--

The dude in the article above vehemently argues that starting QBs should not hold kicks. The reasons why are given above. What do you guys think? Personally, I think it would be a good idea to have a QB hold for kicks. Maybe not your starter, but your backup. It would open up the book for fakes. What do you guys think?

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to have a QB hold for kicks. Maybe not your starter, but your backup. It would open up the book for fakes. What do you guys think?

Backup, absolutely. Is it my imagination, or didn't that used to be commonplace for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I haven't given it much thought in recent years because of the way the Colts have handled it, and because they've had no use for trick plays.

Of course if you are going to do that it's kind of important to have a backup that you trust. When you don't even trust your starter..........................................

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to have a QB hold for kicks. Maybe not your starter, but your backup. It would open up the book for fakes. What do you guys think?

I am a proponent for this very reason.....provided that you have a QB that is comfortable doing it. That is the most important thing. The holder must feel comfortable receiving the snap and getting it into kicking position. It has to be routine, and you can't force a guy into the position that is not comfortable with the mechanics. If you have a QB that is comfortable with holding, it increases the probability of success for a fake while somewhat retaining the element of surprise (I would think the kick blocking team would always be a little on edge about a possible fake with the QB holding). Also, a QB is one of the most likely to be able to salvage the play if there is a bad snap, the kicker slips, etc. As long as he is not contributing to the probability of error, I think it makes sense. On the other hand, if the QB is not comfortable, then Ray Finkle might end up kidnapping him and tieing him up in a warehouse down by the docks.

For many years, Koy Detmer was our holder, and a very reliable one at that. Early in Reid's tenure, he was known to run fake plays, and Koy successfully pulled it off a couple times. They were not regular passes though. It was basically just a flip to Akers who got us a couple 1st downs on fakes. His last full year with us was in 2005. I don't recall who our holder was throughout the 06 season, but I believe it was the punter. We actually ended up bringing Koy back for the playoffs that year, and in the rain, he successfully held for the game winning kick against the Giants that year. Ironically, that came the following day after Romo dropped the snap in Seattle that would have put Dallas ahead.

Holding is something that doesn't need that much practice. The long snapping and kicking are the stuff that need the most practice. The QBs may not practice holding a lot, but they still practice doing it. It's not a huge deal.

Holding is something that doesn't need that much practice. The long snapping and kicking are the stuff that need the most practice. The QBs may not practice holding a lot, but they still practice doing it. It's not a huge deal.

I would think holding is something that needs a lot of practice. You have 1.7 seconds to catch the ball, put it down, angle it properly for your kicker, turn the laces away, and move your hand. That's not very easy to do.

I would think holding is something that needs a lot of practice. You have 1.7 seconds to catch the ball, put it down, angle it properly for your kicker, turn the laces away, and move your hand. That's not very easy to do.

Of course it's not very easy to do, but it doesn't need a lot of practice. Not even punters practice holding that much, the kickers have a stand that keeps the ball straight or angled and they kick it. BTW, I would say it's more like 2.5 seconds.

Of course it's not very easy to do, but it doesn't need a lot of practice. Not even punters practice holding that much, the kickers have a stand that keeps the ball straight or angled and they kick it. BTW, I would say it's more like 2.5 seconds.

I've heard 1.7, but that is just going off of my memory, so it is not a reliable time

I remember when I was younger, through the late 80s and early 90s, it seemed like holders were always back-up QBs. Teams obviously use guys who are comfortable handling the ball, and guys who have the hands to do that, but it hasn't been until the past 10 years or so (just by my observation) that punters have been used for that.

For some reason this also reminded me of Danny White, the Cowboys' QB who was also their punter. Talk about the potential for fakes.