Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts special teams is special

Superman

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/11/05/tom-mcmahon-rebrands-colts-special-teams-unit/18543045/

The pertinents:

Start with Vinatieri. No matter that at 41, he's the oldest player in the league. He is an unblemished 20-for-20 on field goals this year, good enough to extend his streak dating back to last season to 26, the longest of his 19-year career.

McAfee is the real story, though: Despite kicking behind the league's top-ranked offense (meaning far fewer punts) he's booted 18 punts that have been downed inside the 20 and is second in the league with a 43.8 yards-per-punt average. Tapped as the AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for September, he's playing at a Pro Bowl level.

What's more, Colts' opponents have retuned those punts for a combined total of just 69 yards, a paltry average of 4.1 yards-per-return. The longest return allowed? Eleven yards. The longest kickoff return? Seventeen.

McMahon's aim – buoyed by his directional punting scheme – is coming to fruition. The Colts are pinning opponents deep in the corners, allowing them to dominate the field position battle. According to advanced statistics website Pro Football Focus, they are, by a sizable margin, the most effective special teams unit in the NFL.

It's satisfying to see after years some poor ST play we've really stepped it up now. The kickers always were good, but the the gunners/punt coverage for me has been very very good. Only part I'm not too happy with is Griff and it's not like he's doing a horrible job.

Griff is trying his hardest to lose his job it seems.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/11/05/tom-mcmahon-rebrands-colts-special-teams-unit/18543045/

The pertinents:

Start with Vinatieri. No matter that at 41, he's the oldest player in the league. He is an unblemished 20-for-20 on field goals this year, good enough to extend his streak dating back to last season to 26, the longest of his 19-year career.

McAfee is the real story, though: Despite kicking behind the league's top-ranked offense (meaning far fewer punts) he's booted 18 punts that have been downed inside the 20 and is second in the league with a 43.8 yards-per-punt average. Tapped as the AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for September, he's playing at a Pro Bowl level.

What's more, Colts' opponents have retuned those punts for a combined total of just 69 yards, a paltry average of 4.1 yards-per-return. The longest return allowed? Eleven yards. The longest kickoff return? Seventeen.

McMahon's aim – buoyed by his directional punting scheme – is coming to fruition. The Colts are pinning opponents deep in the corners, allowing them to dominate the field position battle. According to advanced statistics website Pro Football Focus, they are, by a sizable margin, the most effective special teams unit in the NFL.

Most underrated part of our team.  They have been slowly getting better and better, and not just due to talent.  I think Grigson has put together a very good string of young coaches with good football minds.  I LOVE IT :)

Great stuff. To counter a little, we don't look as if we are ever going to get anywhere near the oppositions punter. I'm not sure we even try to block the kick. Are we playing it safe for a reason, or am I seeing this all wrong? Not a nitpick, just a question....

most teams don't try to block the punt anymore unless it's end of game type stuff.  Most teams just play to set up the return.  The risk/reward ration is not worth going after the punter on a regular basis unless your back is against the wall.

I have to tip my hat to guys like Sergio as well for a while there he was a special teams monster. Now he has stepped into the safety spot, and done really well.

Yep, and it's a shame that Sergio will get the boot from safety and be back on special teams. Love him & Adams on the back end of the secondary. Unit seems much more fluid & efficient

Like the kickoff in the SB vs the Bears?

Yeah, plus our onside kick gaffe vs the Saints. I guess the Bill Polian Colts era SBs will be most remembered for the special teams gaffes plus the gazillion times we had to watch a Sproles or any other KR/PR go by.

McAfee, who admits to not seeing eye-to-eye with former Colts special teams coordinators Ray Rychleski and Marwan Maalouf, wasn't shy about sharing his affection for McMahon and the job he's done.

I never liked Rychleski.  I thought Maalouf did a decent job, but I guess now we know why he left. 

Our special teams have been very good all year.  The only thing I don't like is what they're doing with the returner.  Griff hasn't shown much of anything.  I would have wanted to see Moncrief get a shot at returner, but he's been more valuable to the offense than Nicks, so I don't want that anymore.  But perhaps we could try Purifoy as a returner?

And while McMahon has done a very good job with the special teams, let's also give credit to Grigson for bringing in some of these special teamers, like Overton and Colt Anderson

I know McAfee isnt averaging the longest Punt distances, but i thought he was leading the league in Net Punt yards.  Meaning that he is able to get the hang time long enough to allow our guys to get down field and allow those low yards per return.

I really like the kickers.

AV is an avid hunter and his football kicking skills make me believe he is a deadly accurate sniper with his rifle.

PM has risen from the depths of the Broad Ripple canal to the upper echelon of kickers in the NFL. A Pro Bowl selection should be in the cards later this year.

The pertinents:

What used to be one of the Colts biggest weaknesses during the Peyton years is now a strength. This team is so much more balanced now top to bottom. Grigson has done a nice job

Yeah, plus our onside kick gaffe vs the Saints. I guess the Bill Polian Colts era SBs will be most remembered for the special teams gaffes plus the gazillion times we had to watch a Sproles or any other KR/PR go by.

In the Super Bowl the ball went straight to Hank Baskett a WR there is no way that play should have worked I will never forget that fool. Gutsy call but they kicked to WR getting mad just thinking about it.

Great stuff. To counter a little, we don't look as if we are ever going to get anywhere near the oppositions punter. I'm not sure we even try to block the kick. Are we playing it safe for a reason, or am I seeing this all wrong? Not a nitpick, just a question....

I think with as good as the special teams has been playing it could be they are not gambling on a penalty. JMO.