Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Andrew Luck nitpicked to death by certain fans?

RockThatBlue

If the poor decisions didn't cost us, wouldn't need to complain.

Every QB makes mistakes, but for some reason Andrew's really come back to bite.

Whether it's locking on Reggie Wayne & missing a wide open WR due to locking on Wayne or a bad overthrow that gets picked. Never fails they come at the worst time or just hurt us the most

I thought your posts would improve as you matured. I was wrong.

All QB's get nitpicked especially the good ones.  

I've heard a long time ago that you shouldn't worry if your coach is telling you how to improve you should worry when he stops because at that point he's given up on you.

I think it's sort of the same way with fans.  If the fans are nitpicking your flaws then they think your a good player but you have some flaws.  Fans don't nitpick players they have given up on. . . they just outright say "that guy sucks"

I mean no one on here ever nitpicked on Satele or Olsen or McGlynn.  We never talked about the little things those guys could do to get better?  Why because they where so darn terrible that we just gave up on them, said they sucked and left it at that.  

Luck get's nitpicked in part because he's a QB and they get more attention then anyone else in football and in part because he's a good player and we know it.

Meh, Manning didn't get nearly as much flak as Luck currently does. Hell, some tried to throw Reggie under the bus for Manning's pick in the Saints SB. Contrast that to fans blaming Luck for the team getting down to the Chiefs in the playoffs last season. When in truth, it was horrible defense and Richardson's ill timed fumble that that caused the hole........not the guy who orchestrated one of the greatest comeback in playoff history.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought your posts would improve as you matured. I was wrong.

Meh, Manning didn't get nearly as much flak as Luck currently does. Hell, some tried to throw Reggie under the bus for Manning's pick in the Saints SB. Contrast that to fans blaming Luck for the team getting down to the Chiefs in the playoffs last season. When in truth, it was horrible defense and Richardson's ill timed fumble that that caused the hole........not the guy who orchestrated one of the greatest comeback in playoff history.

I wonder if part of it is Colts fans not wanting to admit he was a great replacement for Manning and could end up winning more than Manning did.

I wonder if part of it is Colts fans not wanting to admit he was a great replacement for Manning and could end up winning more than Manning did.

I dunno. I think the for many colts fans the Manning era was the first time they really embraced the Colts and, like you said, have a hard time with it. There is a similar reaction when TY is compared to Marvin Harrison.....as though it's impossible for him to ever measure up. It's like the new girlfriend can't ever compare to your first love because you only remember the ups and not the downs.

A win is a win but Luck wasn't at all impressive in the last one. Right now he isn't even one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Do I think that will change? YES.

Over 300 yards and 4 TDs with no INTs not impressive? If Tom did that you would be championing his MVP candidacy.

Certainly not a flawless game, but winning big and being efficient when you aren't at your best, is impressive, and a sign of a great QB.

that could be for some...personally I think it's pretty much a guarantee that Luck will end up winning more than Manning did, but I think that's going to be because of the philosophies of the GM and HC more than anything.  

Why is Luck nitpick?  Because he is the only QB I know that can look like an UDFA rookie playing in his first game and one the best QBs to ever take the field in the same game.  Because despite his brilliance, leadership, and field awareness he will do bone headed things like throw the ball while lying on his back in the endzone or flip it underhanded or any numerous backyard football crap.

I really like Luck and I'm glad the Colts chose him and I think he will do great things but I'm not going to act like everything he does is perfect or dismiss the things he does wrong with the excuses that "every QB does it." or the INTs are really his fault.

Even after wins I see posts complaining about some of his throws. Why is this? Sure he makes a few bad throws a game but what qb doesn't? Hes an amazing qb and yet hes always under a microscope to some people. Why?

lmao!  Wins have NOTHING to do with it. 

Andrew, as an accurate passer who can make All the throws was a bill of goods.

He IS Elite surviving/moving in the pocket and running. Has Great poise. A Terrific base to build Greatness from.

Sorry kid, it isn`t about SOME off target throws.

It is about decision making, throwing high, starring down receivers, lack of touch, holding on to the ball to long getting hit too often and it allowing defenders to close on receivers and break up passes. The usual stuff for young QB`s.

You call it complaining, maybe it`s just Reporting on the action, keeping it REAL for those that think winning by playing some bad FB is Enough.

The Goal is winning in the Playoffs, NOT getting puffed up going 6-0 in our WEAK division then one and donning it like...

As Andrew gets better at his several important weaknesses, and yes a much Better O-Line will grease the wheels, this type of chatter will fall way off.

There are some Great QB`s out there, and when they have a bad day, oh well. They have proven they have All the skills.

Respecting the game, and then there is Homers and Hype. 

As of right now, this season, In order:

Luck

P Manning

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

I stand corrected. I have Luck at #5 as of today. In my defense I did say he'd finish the season in the top five. You need the take the emotion out of watching a game and just watch the QB with an unbiased view regardless of the team or QB. Putting Luck and Manning 1-2 shows that you can't do this.

Brady/Manning 1-2, 2-1 (Same as always) 

Rodgers

Brees

Luck (just got into the 5 spot)

I stand corrected. I have Luck at #5 as of today. In my defense I did say he'd finish the season in the top five. You need the take the emotion out of watching a game and just watch the QB with an unbiased view regardless of the team or QB. Putting Luck and Manning 1-2 shows that you can't do this.

Brady/Manning 1-2, 2-1 (Same as always) 

Rodgers

Brees

Luck (just got into the 5 spot)

I think it's impossible to rank them right now. I'd throw Roethlisberger in that group and just call them the top tier. And that's just as of right now. A few weeks ago, Rivers was in that group instead of Ben. Six weeks ago, Brady wasn't. 

If the poor decisions didn't cost us, wouldn't need to complain.

Every QB makes mistakes, but for some reason Andrew's really come back to bite.

Whether it's locking on Reggie Wayne & missing a wide open WR due to locking on Wayne or a bad overthrow that gets picked. Never fails they come at the worst time or just hurt us the most

Is that why Luck has the most wins that any QB at his time in the NFL?

I think it's impossible to rank them right now. I'd throw Roethlisberger in that group and just call them the top tier. And that's just as of right now. A few weeks ago, Rivers was in that group instead of Ben. Six weeks ago, Brady wasn't. 

There will be some flip flopping in the end but we all know who's going to be in the top 6-7. I had Dirty Ben at #6 through 9 weeks. If you're not a very good team a beating can ruin you. Like with a middle of the road boxer. Denver ruined SD, Patriots/Bengals ect. I'd go as far as to say the Patriots ruined the Red Rifle and Marvin Lewis. They're screwed    

for years to come because of all the guaranteed money heading the Red Rifle's way and he's cooked beyond the point of salvaging at the tender age of 27 and this was supposed to be Cincy's year. Here's where Luck shines. He's improving with time and you already see his longevity and mental toughness. A beat down like the one that's coming (sorry I couldn't resist) won't deter him. He'll learn and be no to the next game.  

Because that's what fans do!

Not just Colts fans.   But fans of all teams in all sports.

On the New England board,  there are fans who complain about Bellicheck, Brady and Gronk.

On the Denver board,  there are fans who complain about Peyton and all his receivers and Von Miller.

It's the nature of the beast in sports.    There are some fans who complain even during the best of times.     Just learn to accept it,  because you're never ever going to change it.

It's not just sports.........it's everything on the internet.  It's like the world wide web is a massive venting tool.

For example, about any exchange on facebook......reviews on yelp. Internet attracts people who enjoy trashing

But not everybody is that way.  Even so, the people who prefer to be positive often come unhinged at negativity.  I don't know why they do that either.

Just skip over it

Can't say anyone is "nitpicking" when the Quarterback himself is saying he didn't have good games. Which is true, we have lots of blown opportunities. Those add up in getting the first team off the field and fresh for the next game.

Can't say anyone is "nitpicking" when the Quarterback himself is saying he didn't have good games. Which is true, we have lots of blown opportunities. Those add up in getting the first team off the field and fresh for the next game.

There is a difference between criticism and nitpicking. After the Jags game there was a thread about his performance....the first two responses were about him locking onto Reggie too often and how he missed a TD opportunity.......and Luck went 31-39 370 4. Legit criticism is fine, but there is a lot nitpicking on this forum.

There will be some flip flopping in the end but we all know who's going to be in the top 6-7. I had Dirty Ben at #6 through 9 weeks. If you're not a very good team a beating can ruin you. Like with a middle of the road boxer. Denver ruined SD, Patriots/Bengals ect. I'd go as far as to say the Patriots ruined the Red Rifle and Marvin Lewis. They're screwed    

for years to come because of all the guaranteed money heading the Red Rifle's way and he's cooked beyond the point of salvaging at the tender age of 27 and this was supposed to be Cincy's year. Here's where Luck shines. He's improving with time and you already see his longevity and mental toughness. A beat down like the one that's coming (sorry I couldn't resist) won't deter him. He'll learn and be no to the next game.  

The Bengals don't have a lot of guaranteed money going to Dalton. There are a bunch of staggered bonuses and guarantees, so he's not likely to be released. But they aren't stuck with him in any way. The only question is whether they can find a better QB. I don't think he's as bad as everyone makes him out to be, but he's not special.

As for the QB hierarchy, I'm sure we'll revisit this once the season is over. But I think most people agree that Luck is on his way.

There is a difference between criticism and nitpicking. After the Jags game there was a thread about his performance....the first two responses were about him locking onto Reggie too often and how he missed a TD opportunity.......and Luck went 31-39 370 4. Legit criticism is fine, but there is a lot nitpicking on this forum.

Yeussssssssssssss.

Its a human condition people love to hate success just look at music once a band or artist becomes incredibly popular everyone seems to hate them or nitpick.

That is so true!  The more popular they become........the more uncool.

You have to be unheard of to be really good

It's not the few bad throws, it's the inexplicable same horrible throws every game for a supposed elite qb.

You can count on throwing over and behind, and in the dirt every game, several times. Just cause your a fan doesn't mean you give passes.

I for the life of me can't figure out how this erratic guy that refuses to take a sack and will throw balls from his butt ....is completing just under 64% of his passes. Either you guys are donkeys , ESPN has it wrong or all of a sudden 64% with a QB rating of over a 100 is now bad. 

I for the life of me can't figure out how this erratic guy that refuses to take a sack and will throw balls from his butt ....is completing just under 64% of his passes. Either you guys are donkeys , ESPN has it wrong or all of a sudden 64% with a QB rating of over a 100 is now bad.

You must have missed the earlier posts

Because he is not as good as Peyton Manning.  If some of our fans had to sit through a few years with Andy Dalton, Blaine Gabbert, or Matt Schaub as our QB, you wouldn't hear such talk.  With that being said, he is not above being criticized for some of the terrible decisions he makes, but he usually can overcome those with some of the great plays he makes.

You are absolutely spot on. Brilliant post. I can understand a little criticism, but it feels like he gets way too much crap when he shouldn't.