Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 11/04 "Twosday Twofer"

sb41champs

:blueshoe:   SORRY THIS IS BEING POSTED LATE THIS WEEK !!

:blueshoe:   ENJOY TWODAYS TWOSDAY TWOFER:

:blueshoe:   There are FOUR Indianapolis Colts on the 2015 Hall of Fame Ballot:

OL Chris Hinton

Coach Tony Dungy

WR Marvin Harrison 

RB Edgerrin James

:blueshoe:   Which Colt or Colts are MOST LIKELY to be inducted in 2015 ??

:blueshoe:   Will multiple Colts be inducted in the same year (2015 or beyond) ??

Marvin is a good choice, but I would roll with Coach Dungy only because the HOF backlog among WRs is so long & Tony is the 1st African American HC to win a SB. 

I love Marvin BTW & I desperately wanna see him in a yellow jacket too. 

Oops! I missed the 2nd question. More than 1 Colt would be awesome, but you don't usually see 2 inductees from the same team go into Canton at the same time. It's pretty rare. 

Besides, the Canton selection committee like the Rock N Roll HOF Fame, likes to pick 1 larger than life marquee superstar followed by good but lesser known players. It's what their approach is typically. 

I think Marvin is a lock and it was a DISGRACE that he wasn't in on the first ballot based on where he ranks in all the major categories for receiving.  There are so many far lesser WR's already in including several from recent years (including last year). 

I frankly don't think Dungy has enough to get in, at least not first ballot and I am not sure 1 SB is enough, though I admit I don't have his coaching record in front of me and perhaps he dominated in winning % or other factors beyond Super Bowls/Championships (for Pre-SB Coaches). Does anyone have those stats to see how he compares to all other coaches not yet in the HOF?  I do not believe race should play any factor good or bad in getting in or not getting in and I would hope to think Dungy would agree, but who knows?  If he had perhaps been the first to BE a coach back in the era of segregation, that would have been breaking a barrier and a different discussion.  He was playing another black coach in the game and had played another on the way their, showing that race had long before stopped being a reason to consider, if it ever legitimately was.  I think perhaps some civil/social justice awards would better be fitting for dealing with issues of race or ethnicity and achievement. Otherwise, will we automatically put in the First Asian Coach to win as well? How about Native American? etc.  That is a poor justification for getting in and an affront to the quality of coach and person Dungy was and still is, he's not a great black man, he's a great man and this era of identity politics hopefully will die with this current political climate if we're ever moving forward.  

Of course we all know he was the primary factor in Tampa winning the SB the next year after he was ousted (what an *ic move that was, Gruden, who I like a lot, ran it into the ground once he put his own guys in.  I also think the 2009 Colts would have not only won the SB in 2009 with Dungy as coach, but would have gone undefeated as well (though perhaps he'd have pulled the *ic move of giving away the last two games that season and losing all our positive momentum going into the playoffs, all while leaving his starters in a treacherous final season game, not to WIN, but to surpass meaningless 100 catch seasons for our TE and WR.  That hypocritical move still infuriates me.  I still don't think Dungy makes those moves and wins in 2009 and would have taken that dominant team he built from ashes in Tampa to win that same Super Bowl against the Raiders, even with Gruden as coach).  I also think the Colts win and dominate the year his son took his own life, which crushed the entire team in a way we likely can't begin to grasp completely.  But with all that, does he rate above all other coaches with 1 Super Bowl?  Again, perhaps he does and if so, then he should get in, but it doesn't feel like a first ballot even if that is true.  But I am talking fair and just, not politically expedient.  So of course, he likely gets in period. 

I'd rather see guys who had distinguished, but not quite HOF playing careers who ALSO went into Coaching and found success, but not quite HOF coaching careers be considered for their entire body of work start to finish (and some of those went on to be excellent broadcasters as well...).  An overall arc of career might catch a couple well deserving contributors to the game over decades of work who may have fallen short in individual phases to get in.  

Harrison in, Dungy likely in eventually, Peyton first ballot and class headliner and Reggie, who is as deserving as Harrison at this point in my opinion based on sticking around for a 2-14 Colts team on faith and the promise of a rookie QB being able to assist in extending his career in a deserving and positive way.  Had only he not gotten hurt game 7 last year, he'd be a first ballot HOFer with the additional stats and perhaps with more playoff success that year, but now I fear he'll languish in the backlog for longer than he deserves.  The Edge, I am afraid, will be forgotten by the Hall.  Hinton likely as well, although some lobbying by the likes of Peyton might move a few votes.  Does anyone know what the field looks like at his position overall? As for the Colts getting two in the same year, unlikely unless they feel like they need to pump up the publicity factor (like Marvin/Dungy or Manning/Wayne) but Indy is, after all is said and done, too small market of a team in the NFL.  If they were Giants or Cowboys, it would be much more likely, but if it will ever happen, it will be one of those two sets of people.  

PS: I want to be clear I am not impuning anything Southwest said, on the contrary, he's dead on on what is important to the politically minded NFL.  It's just unfortunate in this day and age to judge people not on the content of their character and success alone.