Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If You Were Gm Of The Colts (The New And Improved)

After a season full of very careful evaluation of college players and a majority of a season evaluating the NFL, I have really gathered some crucial information about this Colts team and have made some decisions if I were the GM, how I could put the Colts back as Super Bowl competitors. If you were GM of the Colts (The New and Improved) what are you doing with current players whose contracts are getting ready to expire? What are you doing with injury prone players? What are you doing with players that just aren’t producing up to satisfactory levels? What are you doing with the coaching staff (If you are making changes, who are you bringing in and what system are they implementing)? What are the positions of need on this team? And how do you plan to address those needs whether that is in free agency or through this year’s draft? What are you doing with this year’s draft selections? If you choose to do a trade down, who is the team we trade with from our pick #1 and what players if any are we getting from them in addition to what draft pick(s)?

Scenario:

Who are you cutting?

Bullitt, Foster, Moala, Lacey, Collins, Orlovsky, Painter, Brown

What players are getting their contracts re-worked if any?

Freeney, Clarke and Addai ( becomes the Colts third down running back).

What free agent players are you bringing back?

Wayne (If Reasonable) Garcon, Wheeler and Saturday

What free agent players are you letting walk or looking to trade and for what value?

Franchise Tag on Mathis and then trading him to Cleveland as part of draft trade

Trading Brackett to Eagles (5th round pick)

What are the positions of need for the Colts this offseason?

The Colts Defensively need: NT, CB, SS, LB, DE

The Colts Offensively need: RB, WR, QB, T/G

What free agents are you pursuing if any?

Larron Landry SS, Aubrayo Franklin or Shaun Rodgers NT

What coach(s) if any are you pursuing and what system are they implementing?

Mike Zimmer- 4-3 Under in combination with his Cover 2 defense in Cincy

Who are you drafting and with what picks (include those from a trade down scenario)?

Trade the number one overall pick, and Robert Mathis (Franchise Tag) to Cleveland for their two first, their second, and fourth round draft picks this year, their first and fourth next year, and their first the following year. Colts also acquire Colt McCoy in the trade.

Round One- Manti Te’o LB (What the Colts need at MLB, the next Ray Lewis)

Round One- Melvin Ingram DE (Monster rushing the passer and playing the run)

Round Two- Dontari Poe NT (6’5” 350 Lbs of run stopping impact nose tackle)

Round Two (Trade with Cleveland)- Vontaze Burfict OLB (Attitude is something the Colts need and he fits what a SAM LB does in the 4-3 Under)

Round Three- Kelechi Osemele G (Injury could drop him to round three, big physical beast on the line)

Round Three (Compensatory Session)- Monte Ball or Lamichael James RB (Homerun hitting running backs the Colts have lacked)

Round Four- Ryan Broyles WR (Injury will make him drop, another few inches would make him the best available WR in the entire draft)

Round Four (Trade with Cleveland)- Leonard Johnson CB (IMO best M2M corner in college football, is more shut down than Claiborne and Denard in man to man)

Round Five- Alex Oakfur DE (Great pass rushing and run stopping skills)

Round Five (Trade with Philly)- Kendal Reyes / Kheeston Randall / Jaye Howard DT (Best Available UT in order to pair with Drake Nevis in rotation)

Round Six- Derek Moye WR (Tall, big, physical possession receiver)

Round Seven- Matt Daniels SS (Physical and always is around the ball)

Round Seven (Compensatory Charlie Johnson)- Josh Ogelsby T (6’7” 330 Lbs of monster right tackle)

Starting Lineup:

QB: Manning, McCoy

RB: Monte Ball or Lamichael James, Addai

WR1: Wayne, Moye

WR2: Garcon, Broyles

WR3: Collie, White

TE: Clarke, Tamme

LT: Castonzo

RT: Ogelsby

RG: Osemele

LG: Ijalana

C: Saturday

DE: Freeney, Oakfur

DE: Ingram, Addison

NT: Rodgers or Franklin, Poe

DT: Nevis, Mookie

Will: Angerer, Conner

Mike: Te’o

Sam: Burfict, Wheeler

CB: Powers, Thomas

CB: Leonard Johnson, Rucker

SS: Landry, Daniels

FS: Bethea, Lefeged

This is all my opinion, I am sure some of you will see this and think it’s ridiculous to take two linebackers! But in the scheme I would like to see on defense, with Angerer at Will, Te’o at Mike, and Burfict at SAM blitzing and dropping into coverage, that is a very serious physical line backing core, with a lot of athleticism, very similar to what Zimmer has in Cincy! A new young defensive end who can do it all, a new young physical specimen at nose tackle, and a corner who is under rated because he plays at Iowa State. I watched that kid play coverage on Blackmon, and when he lined up on him man to man during the game, he was put on an island and shut Blackmon completely out! Then they rotated Blackmon and he got 100 yds and a touchdown on the other corner. This really boosts the front seven to the most physical and serious in football! Then a new young physical corner paired with Powers, and Larron Landry to play safety next to Bethea puts this defense on serious shut down potential! The other selections address the offensive skill positions, making Addai the third down back and bringing in a home run hitter to start! You have two young talented wide receivers brought in, one with speed and play making all day (if he were a few inches taller he would be the best receiver in the draft), the other big and physical! Not to mention the offensive line additions. These are moves I would make if I was the GM of the Colts, they need to get physical on both sides of the ball, opinion, after evaluating college players all season… what do you guys think? Please share what you would do!

Whoa, 2 linebackers drafted high? I'd swap the Teo pick for Morris Claiborne. I'd rather have us keep Robert Mathis, but Melvin Ingram looks like a very good player at South Carolina, but won't I thought he was going in the late 1st to 2nd round. Poe and Burfict look like solid picks, but I don't think that Osemele will last until the 3rd round. How did he get injured?

Johnson from Iowa State is the real deal, better than Morris Claiborne in man to man coverage. And he is someone who would be around later in the draft. I don’t think Claiborne is quiet as good as everyone makes him out to be, I have done a lot of watching, I am far more impressed with Johnson. Ingram can do it all and I have him as a first round selection! Osemele suffered an ankle injury I believe, he was projected as a second round prospect, I can see him falling to the first pick of the third round! Who plays “Will” if Angerer stays in the middle?

Johnson from Iowa State is the real deal, better than Morris Claiborne in man to man coverage. And he is someone who would be around later in the draft. I don’t think Claiborne is quiet as good as everyone makes him out to be, I have done a lot of watching, I am far more impressed with Johnson. Ingram can do it all and I have him as a first round selection! Osemele suffered an ankle injury I believe, he was projected as a second round prospect, I can see him falling to the first pick of the third round! Who plays “Will” if Angerer stays in the middle?

Sorry, but there is almost no way that your going to convince me that Leonard Johnson is better than Morris Claiborne, whether it's in man coverage or something else. I've watched Claiborne this year and he has been incredible from what I've seen. He is a playmaker who is very good in coverage and also at getting interceptions. Now I'd still be fine taking Johnson in the 4th round. We still need a 3rd or 4th CB and I think I have heard of Johnson before. If he's the same guy then he'd be a great mid round selection.

If we had to take a DE, then I'd probably go with Ingram too, but I don't know to many of the DE prospects. I'd want us to keep Robert Mathis though, so that's why I'd draft a position other than DE in the 1st round, probably DT Brandon Thompson if it is in the mid to late middle 1st round.

Are you sure that an ankle injury would drop Kelechi Osemele a whole round? It can't be that serious, I think I remember that it's been bothering him this year. I'd feel safer in drafting him with an early 2nd round pick.

If Angerer stays at MLB, then Burfict would play WLB. If Angerer can play WLB though effectively, then Burfict would play MLB. Philip Wheeler would play SLB.

If we are able to restructure guys like Dallas Clark's, Melvin Bullit's, Gary Brackett's, and Dwight Freeney's contracts, then I'd be seriously consider bringing in Laron Landry as he seems to be a very good SS from what I've heard, but I don't know much about him. If we are able to resign all of our guys like Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Philip Wheeler, and everyone else and have some left over cap space, then I might get Landry in free agency. It kind of depends on how much of an impact Mark Barron would have as a rookie because I would probably draft him with the other early 2nd round pick.

Walk- Lacey, Deim, T. Johnson, Mathews, Wayne, Brayton, Gonzo

Cut- Bullitt, Collins, Addai

Re-Sign- Mathis, Garcon, Sims, Anderson, Saturday

FA's- Marques Colston, Terrel Thomas

Draft Picks- Andrew Luck QB: Stanford, Mark Barron S: Alabama, Jayron Hosley CB: Virgina Tech, Dwight Jones WR: UNC, Derek Wolfe DT: Cinncinatti, Antoine McClain OG: Clemson, Malik Jackson DE: Tennesse, Jeff Demps RB: Florida, Kenny Okoro CB, Wake Forest.

Starting Roster

QB: Peyton Manning

RB: Donald Brown

FB: Ryan Mahaffey

WR1: Pierre Garcon

WR2: Marques Colston

TE: Dallas Clark

LT: Anthony Costanzo

LG: Joe Reitz

C: Jeff Saturday

RG: Mike Pollak

RT: Ben Ijalana

LE: Robert Mathis

DT1: Fili Moala

DT2: Drake Nevis

RE: Dwight Freeney

WLB: Pat Angerer

MLB: Gary Brackett

SLB: Kavell Conner

LCB: Jerraud Powers

RCB: Terrell Thomas

SS: Mark Barron

FS: Antoine Bethea

Walk - Collins, Wayne, Brayton, Sims, Gonzales

Cut- Lacey, Painter, Likenbach

Resign- Mathis, Garcon, Anderson, Diem

Trade - Clark to the Bills for a 3rd round pick.

Free Agent signings- Bobbie Williams (OG) , Marcus Trufant (CB) , Kelvin Hayden (CB) , Paul Soliai (DT)

Retired players - Peyton Manning

Draft picks: (We get a 5th for walking Wayne)

1st: Andrew Luck QB

2nd: Dwayne Allen TE

3rd: Jeff Fuller WR

3rd: Brandon Boykin CB

4th: Sean Spence OLB

5th: Kenny Tate S

5th: Kellen Moore QB

6th: Donte Harden RB

7th: David Smith OG

2012 Roster:

QB: Luck, Moore

RB: Addai, Brown, Carter, Harden

WR: Garcon, Fuller, Collie, White

TE: Tamme, Allen, Eldridge

LT: Castonzo

LG: Diem

C: Saturday

RG: Williams

RT: Ijalana

LE: Mathis, Hughes

RE: Freeney, Anderson

DT: Moala, Nevis, Johnson, Soliai

OLB: Wheelr, Spence

MLB: Brackett, Angerer

ROLB: Conner

CB: Powers, Hayden, Trufant, Thomas, Johnson

FS: Bethea, Lefeged

SS: Bullit, Caldwell

P: McAfee

K: Vinateri

LS: Snow

Head Coach: Caldwell is fired and Rob Chudzinski is hired

Prediction of 2012 season: We go 10-6 and make the wild card

I don't think it's alot to ask for one of the most anticipated QB's to come out of College and a proven Impactful DE! Colt McCoy is not the answer for Browns, no matter what weapons are around him, with all the good young talent they have, I can see them giving up these picks to acquire a QB of the future, and slowly build around him over time! Not to mention the team has a large volume of cap room where they can target some free agents this offseason to surround Luck with.. so it makes more sense to get your QB of the future if your the Browns, there is alot of speculation already about them drafting another QB.. why not use those two first rounders and move up to get Luck?

Ramblin- Bullitt is not a good safety, back-up material at best, Gary Brackett needs to go, and Johnson from Iowa State is better than Claiborne, I have watched such a large volume of games on both players, Johnson is going to be the steal of the draft!

Did anyone see Peyton Manning is progressing in his rehab? So why would he be retiring and why are we still stuck on Luck?

To the OP: No way we get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Session. If Wayne or Mathis walk at the end of the year then we would probably get a 3rd round comp. pick for them...but Session didn't produce much this year and then went on IR. I doubt we get even a 6th or 7th round comp. pick for him.

I like Melvin Ingram but wouldn't spend a first round pick on him. You could probably switch the first 2 picks and take Quinton Coples and Manti Teo in the first round if you take Coples first.

Instead of Burfict in round 2 I'd try to grab a CB in either Chase Minnifield, Jayron Hosley or Stephon Gilmore and in round 4 I would take an OLB in either Keenan Robinson or Nigel Bradham.

I like Alex Okafor but it is Okafor...not Oakfur (this makes me think of bigfoot for some reason) :P

If either of them can play solid man to man I would look at Ray Ray Armstrong or Kenny Tate. Having a 6'4" athletic safety (unless Tate puts on about 20+ lbs of muscle I don't see him playing OLB in the NFL) who can play in man coverage would help with the influx of tall athletic TEs that are coming into the league.

I don't think it's alot to ask for one of the most anticipated QB's to come out of College and a proven Impactful DE! Colt McCoy is not the answer for Browns, no matter what weapons are around him, with all the good young talent they have, I can see them giving up these picks to acquire a QB of the future, and slowly build around him over time! Not to mention the team has a large volume of cap room where they can target some free agents this offseason to surround Luck with.. so it makes more sense to get your QB of the future if your the Browns, there is alot of speculation already about them drafting another QB.. why not use those two first rounders and move up to get Luck?

Ramblin- Bullitt is not a good safety, back-up material at best, Gary Brackett needs to go, and Johnson from Iowa State is better than Claiborne, I have watched such a large volume of games on both players, Johnson is going to be the steal of the draft!

Did anyone see Peyton Manning is progressing in his rehab? So why would he be retiring and why are we still stuck on Luck?

Johnson is not better than Morris Claiborne! If so he would easily be a 1st rounder. He may be good, but what you calling him is ridiculous.

In most mocks Jason, Ingram is a first round selection.. I would rather have Ingram than Coples. Burfict may go in the first round, but I wouldn't wait on a linebacker, that is an important position on defense, the Colts always seem to lack. I can recreate a Mock without Burfict and change some things around, I may add that new NT that is named Star. Johnson is way better than those three corners, I think Johnson is better than Claiborne, also Matt Daniels is the total package at strong safety, he has the most interceptions, pass break ups, and tackles of everyone on the Duke team not just the secondary. Not to mention he puts the wood in people, I would rather see the Colts go after Landry and get Daniels late in the draft as a back up and move Lefeged to back-up FS. You need to broden your horizon and college watching a little bit! :P

Claiborne is over rated, I thought Denard from Nebraska was right there with Claiborne, I am telling you Johnson has more upside than both of them, this kid SHUT DOWN BLACKMON COMPLETELY! Face to face on an island took him out of the game, and then OK St. made adjustments and moved Blackmon around so Johnson wasn't on him. Another reason he is not a first round prospect is because this year he is really breaking out.. and look where he goes to school, kind of like how Dontari Poe is creeping up boards, the skill is there!

In most mocks Jason, Ingram is a first round selection.. I would rather have Ingram than Coples. Burfict may go in the first round, but I wouldn't wait on a linebacker, that is an important position on defense, the Colts always seem to lack. I can recreate a Mock without Burfict and change some things around, I may add that new NT that is named Star. Johnson is way better than those three corners, I think Johnson is better than Claiborne, also Matt Daniels is the total package at strong safety, he has the most interceptions, pass break ups, and tackles of everyone on the Duke team not just the secondary. Not to mention he puts the wood in people, I would rather see the Colts go after Landry and get Daniels late in the draft as a back up and move Lefeged to back-up FS. You need to broden your horizon and college watching a little bit! :P

There's only so much time in the day. I don't get paid for watching college games or scouting players so I am a bit limited. ;)

As for Ingram...my previous comment still remains. I don't really care what most mocks have a player going in....the opinions I give are based on what draft position I would be willing to spend on certain players and I would not be willing to spend a first round pick on Ingram. I'd wait and go with Malik Jackson, Cam Johnson etc in a middle round over spending a first round pick on Ingram. But that's just me. :)

I wanted to add that I do know who Leonard Johnson is and have watched him play. I will definitely give him credit for being a very good corner, but to say he is "way better"....well I simply disagree. He did a decent job on Blackmon all things considered, but Blackmon still had 10 catches for 99 yards. I know though that no corner is going to completely shut down Blackmon so that's why I say he did a decent job. I would definitely consider taking Johnson in the mix with the other CBs I mentioned but I wouldn't say he's "way better". I wouldn't say that any of the 3 I mentioned are "way better" than Johnson, or each other, either. They're all going to have their strengths and weaknesses. I do think Claiborn is the best man to man playmaking CB in the draft though.

Johnson held Blackmon to zero catches, the other ten catches, hundred yards, and a touchdown were a result of making adjustments and moving him around. I think corner is important but I don't think Claiborne is that impactful, I would rather take two linebackers and move Angerer to SAM, I think the front seven is far more important, the Jets are seeing first hand how a weak front seven weakens your defense. Revis hasn't had quiet a Revis year, because he has to cover a player for what seems like an enternity compared to the few seconds last season and so on. Look at a defense like the 49ers or Ravens.. Dominant front seven, I think Johnson and Powers could be a solid man to man tandem with a sick front seven!

Round One- Manti Te’o MLB

Round One- Zach Brown WLB

Round Two- Melvin Ingram DE

Round Two (Trade with Cleveland)- Mike Adams T

Round Three- Kelechi Osemele G

Round Three (Compensatory Wayne)- Monte Ball or LaMichael James RB

Round Three (Trade Clarke to Giants)- Dwight Jones WR

Round Four- Leonard Johnson CB

Round Four (Trade with Cleveland)- Star Lotulelei NT

Round Five- Alex Oakfor DE

Round Five (Trade with Philly Brackett)- Ladarius Green TE

Round Six- Matt Daniels SS

Round Six (Compensatory FA)- Derek Moye WR

Round Seven- Josh Ogelsby T

QB: Manning, McCoy

RB: Ball, Addai, Carter

WR: Jones, Garcon, Collie, Moye, White

TE: Green, Tamme

LT: Mike Adams LG: Ijalana C: Saturday RG: Osemele RT: Castonzo

DE: Freeney, Oakfor DE: Ingram, Addison

NT: Franklin or Rodgers, Lotulelei DT: Nevis, Mookie

SAM: Angerer, Wheeler Mike: Manti Te’o Will: Zach Brown, Conner

CB: Johnson, Rucker CB: Powers, Thomas

SS: Larron Landry, Daniels FS: Bethea, Lefeged

We were talking out loud about compensatory picks for Session and Johnson and said Wayne would bring a third rounder if he left. Wait front seven is your line and line backers, so you would rather have super talented defensive linemen and secondary players like the EAGLES???? Thats what they fit to a T, I would rather have the sick front seven like the Ravens or 9ers..those are the two best defenses in football! Even Cincy has a good front seven!

We were talking out loud about compensatory picks for Session and Johnson and said Wayne would bring a third rounder if he left. Wait front seven is your line and line backers, so you would rather have super talented defensive linemen and secondary players like the EAGLES???? Thats what they fit to a T, I would rather have the sick front seven like the Ravens or 9ers..those are the two best defenses in football! Even Cincy has a good front seven!

Just to get this straight, the Eagles DO NOT HAVE THE BEST DEFENSIVE LINE AND SECONDARY IN THE NFL. The Ravens have a very good secondary, that's why there defense is so good this year. If your a 3-4 defense you basically have to have a good front 7 so that doesn't really compare to a 4-3 defense like the colts. Any great front 7 can get picked apart if the secondary doesn't cover the the receivers and TE's for at least a few seconds. The pass rush and the run defense starts with the D-line, and without good coverage the pass rush isn't effective.

And we would not get a compensatory pick for Reggie Wayne, why do you think that? If he left in the offseason then we would get a 2013 pick right? Not a 2012 draft pick. And I want the colts to resign Wayne so that doesn't really matter.

Bro.. The eagles have immense talent on the defensive line and their corners, which is what you are saying you want the Colts to have a good front and corners/ secondary. Nobody said the best in the NFL.. but as far as defensive line and corners, thats where they are strong! The Ravens secondary is good because of Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard.. I live in Baltimore..I see them enough to know...3-4..and 4-3 still equal a front seven my man lol, doesn't mean your front is any different cause of your scheme..In fact the 4-3 in theory is stopping the run on the way to rushing the passer. Ironically the Colts don't do this in theory. The 3-4 is designed to have more linebackers and corners on the field to accomodate for the pass happy league, which is why many teams are making the switch.. Jason and I were talking about other compensatory picks.. Look we both agree to trade down, I just see more value and stacking the front seven, and getting a corner later in the draft.

Bro.. The eagles have immense talent on the defensive line and their corners, which is what you are saying you want the Colts to have a good front and corners/ secondary. Nobody said the best in the NFL.. but as far as defensive line and corners, thats where they are strong! The Ravens secondary is good because of Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard.. I live in Baltimore..I see them enough to know...3-4..and 4-3 still equal a front seven my man lol, doesn't mean your front is any different cause of your scheme..In fact the 4-3 in theory is stopping the run on the way to rushing the passer. Ironically the Colts don't do this in theory. The 3-4 is designed to have more linebackers and corners on the field to accomodate for the pass happy league, which is why many teams are making the switch.. Jason and I were talking about other compensatory picks.. Look we both agree to trade down, I just see more value and stacking the front seven, and getting a corner later in the draft.

Come on BmoreColt. The Eagles have good DE's but they have struggled some at DT. I won't criticize them, but I haven't heard anything special about their safeties. From what I've heard, Nnamidi Asomugha has struggled quite a bit this year, or at least for him. Asante Samuel makes good plays and bad plays with his aggresiveness in coverage. There linebacking corps hasn't played well at all though, so you can't compare them. They may have an above average D-line and secondary, but there LB's are way below average from what I've heard.

And to add to my point about 3-4 defenses, the 2-gap 3-4 needs a good D-line to occupy the O-lineman and good LB's to get after the QB and other things as well. The 3-4 isn't designed to have more CB's on the field than a 4-3, they both have 2. 3-4 teams have an OLB who is basically only used in rushing the passer, like Mario Williams and Demarcus Ware. Some teams like Pitsburgh though have OLB's who are decent in coverage like James Harrison.

Bro, you are arguing exactly what I am saying to you. I said I would rather have a better front seven, than a better front four and corners. I am saying to improve the front of the Colts and get a corner in the draft and safety in free agency… but I said that all the best defenses in the league have a better set of defensive linemen and linebackers than a defensive front whether that is 3 or 4 man front and secondary, and I don’t care if you go corners and safeties in the mix. You said you rather have the Colts current front four or maybe a NT addition and draft Claiborne early and beef up the secondary leaving our linebackers still average at best WHICH RESEMBLES THE EAGLES D..great front four and secondary (at least corners) and horrible linebackers. I am saying I would rather have the linebackers and defensive lineman as the Colts strong point, because all the best defenses in the league (Ravens, 49ers, Texans) are stout against the run and good at getting pressure.. and all three don’t have the best secondaries in football, more like below average (49ers), average (Texans), to solid (Ravens). But I still want another corner drafted and impact SS brought in, and I think that is enough to really improve the defense, if the Colts draft Ingram, Te’o, and another linebacker, whether that be Zach Brown or Burfict!

And the 3-4 is designed to have more linebackers and corners on the field, i.e. the nickel defense, to stop the pass, the 3-4 is better suited to stop the pass! Which is why many teams are switching to the 3-4 because it’s a pass happy league. The 4-3 was designed to stop the run on the way to the quarterback!

Bro, you are arguing exactly what I am saying to you. I said I would rather have a better front seven, than a better front four and corners. I am saying to improve the front of the Colts and get a corner in the draft and safety in free agency… but I said that all the best defenses in the league have a better set of defensive linemen and linebackers than a defensive front whether that is 3 or 4 man front and secondary, and I don’t care if you go corners and safeties in the mix. You said you rather have the Colts current front four or maybe a NT addition and draft Claiborne early and beef up the secondary leaving our linebackers still average at best WHICH RESEMBLES THE EAGLES D..great front four and secondary (at least corners) and horrible linebackers. I am saying I would rather have the linebackers and defensive lineman as the Colts strong point, because all the best defenses in the league (Ravens, 49ers, Texans) are stout against the run and good at getting pressure.. and all three don’t have the best secondaries in football, more like below average (49ers), average (Texans), to solid (Ravens). But I still want another corner drafted and impact SS brought in, and I think that is enough to really improve the defense, if the Colts draft Ingram, Te’o, and another linebacker, whether that be Zach Brown or Burfict!

And the 3-4 is designed to have more linebackers and corners on the field, i.e. the nickel defense, to stop the pass, the 3-4 is better suited to stop the pass! Which is why many teams are switching to the 3-4 because it’s a pass happy league. The 4-3 was designed to stop the run on the way to the quarterback!

What you don't seem to get is that if the Ravens secondary played like the Eagles linebackers then the Ravens defense would not be as good.

The Texans have an average pass defense? Jonathan is playing exceptional and having a pro bowl year. Daniel Manning and Glover Quinn have been very good at SS and FS. They are above average everywhere in their defense, which is why they have the #1 defense in the NFL right now.

The colts linebackers are playing pretty well this year, except for some coverage issues. Drafting 2 linebackers will not make our defense all of a sudden good. Our biggest week point is our secondary, with a decent D-line. I just look at it like this. If you have a very good D-line, then you will probably have good run defense and a very good pass rush. You won't have to blitz as much with your linebackers and there jobs will be easier when it comes to run stopping and filling up the gaps. If we have a very good secondary, then we can cover the opponents receivers and tight ends for longer, allowing extra time for the pass rush to get after the quarterback. I think the colts have at the least average linebackers right now, but we could draft a LB to make us even better. You don't neglect the secondary to do that though.

If I'm the Eagles right now, then I would probably want to draft a LB pretty high. It's not that I don't like linebackers, I just think that we have some that are pretty good and that we don't need to overhaul the LB unit.

I think Johnson is capable of being a starting corner along side Powers. Afterall the Colts only need one other corner to pair with Powers, so in my mock I didn't neglect the position, I just feel Johnson could be a real steal and could be taken in the fourth round! I also want free agent Larron Landry brough in to start at SS, so these two players will vastly improve the secondary. That statement about how a good corner can cover long, well Revis has been giving up more catches this year because the Jets can't stop the run or generate pressure. Getting an impact DE and two new linebackers, along with a NT makes the defense strong in all areas. How we both feel the Colt's shouldn't take Luck, I feel there is value to be had in the secondary later in the draft than the first round! Angerer is average-solid, Conner is more back-up material.. I think the Colts need two more linebackers, one or both outside or possibly one in the middle, depending on the scheme. In a more standard Cover 2, like Chicago's, I like Angerer at Sam, Burfict or Zach Brown at Will, Te'o at Mike. In a 4-3 Under I like Burfict at Sam, Angerer at Mike, and Te'o or Brown or even Spence at Will..so I think a linebacker overhaul is needed...

They did an article about players, what positions they would fit and with what teams: Check it out, Burfict to the Colts as an OLB! :P

http://bleacherrepor...dated-nfl-team-

needs/page/35

I don't get it....the Colts are listed as a "best fit" for pretty much every offensive tackle on their list but not a single guard. Makes me wonder how much do these people really pay attention to pro teams? Though in all honesty I agree with a lot of their "best fits" but this is a very big exception.

sorry...mini-rant. lol

I think Johnson is capable of being a starting corner along side Powers. Afterall the Colts only need one other corner to pair with Powers, so in my mock I didn't neglect the position, I just feel Johnson could be a real steal and could be taken in the fourth round! I also want free agent Larron Landry brough in to start at SS, so these two players will vastly improve the secondary. That statement about how a good corner can cover long, well Revis has been giving up more catches this year because the Jets can't stop the run or generate pressure. Getting an impact DE and two new linebackers, along with a NT makes the defense strong in all areas. How we both feel the Colt's shouldn't take Luck, I feel there is value to be had in the secondary later in the draft than the first round! Angerer is average-solid, Conner is more back-up material.. I think the Colts need two more linebackers, one or both outside or possibly one in the middle, depending on the scheme. In a more standard Cover 2, like Chicago's, I like Angerer at Sam, Burfict or Zach Brown at Will, Te'o at Mike. In a 4-3 Under I like Burfict at Sam, Angerer at Mike, and Te'o or Brown or even Spence at Will..so I think a linebacker overhaul is needed...

I agree with a lot of this....but imo I would take Donta Hightower over Burfict. Similar type of player but Hightower can play with high intensity without the personal fouls.

Because Ijalana is a mystery at tackle, but he is said to have the ability to play Guard, and the Colts have Reitz and Diem at guard... and they see Link as a weak Link! You like that... I'd prefer another tackle to protect Manning going forward.. to slide Castonzo over or a legit Right Tackle.

Jason I agree with Hightower- But if you look at my mock, Burfict is a second round selection if the big board holds it's value and Hightower is gonig to be gone in the first... So if you like Hightower.. show me a brief 4 round mock or so (enough to cover the new starters), including free agent pick-ups?

Because Ijalana is a mystery at tackle, but he is said to have the ability to play Guard, and the Colts have Reitz and Diem at guard... and they see Link as a weak Link! You like that... I'd prefer another tackle to protect Manning going forward.. to slide Castonzo over or a legit Right Tackle.

If Ijalana is a mystery at OT then he's even more of a mystery at OG. He played most of, if not all, plays in college at LT. As far as I know he's never played a snap at OG and since coming to the Colts that's not what he's been trained for...he's been training and preparing to move from LT to RT. Honestly if we go OL in round 1 I'd want Cordy Glenn. He has played at LG, RG and LT and excelled at all 3 positions. This way we have a guy who is proven at either OT or OG so we can play around with different variations and put guys where they fit best. Taking another OT early means we're assuming Ijalana can make the move from OT to OG. Can he? Probably but there's no way to know without actually practicing him there and trying it out...something we won't be able to do prior to the draft.

Jason I agree with Hightower- But if you look at my mock, Burfict is a second round selection if the big board holds it's value and Hightower is gonig to be gone in the first... So if you like Hightower.. show me a brief 4 round mock or so (enough to cover the new starters), including free agent pick-ups?

That's true...both Burfict and Hightower could go in the first round but if one is going to slip to the 2nd imo it would be Burfict. I still wouldn't draft Burfict though, even in the 2nd round. He's altered his play style (playing slower and more cautiously) to try to avoid the personal foul penalties but he's still getting the penalties anyway. He has a lot of potential but he's also got a lot to work on and imo would be too much of a distraction. My 2 favorite guys if we were to go with a true OLB would be Keenan Robinson or Nigel Bradham. They both have good size, speed and ability to both cover and play against the run. Zach Brown would be great too but I don't see us taking a WILL LB in round 1. Besides, my preference would be to draft a new MIKE and move Angerer to WILL with the best between Conner, Wheeler and Edds at SAM.

Ijalana did play LT in College, though he had the physical tools and ability to play guard, because he excells at mauling defenders in the run game. Yes, he would infact be a mystery anywhere on the line. I like the idea with Cordy Glenn, because he could play any number of positions on the line, but alot of experts are saying he is too slow and lazy to play tackle and is vulnerable in pass protection, and could potential be a huge bust in the NFL. Apparently he is lazy and has no work ethic... Now how about the little mock for me that I asked for above about the Linebackers and draft picks through a few rounds to get starting defense? :D

Sorry you sent that right before I posted this for you.. I could really see Ingram playing Sam in the 4-3 Under as well! But I think it depends on the system of who to draft, but I like Te'o coming in no matter what, he could play Will or Mike, depending on the system, same with Angerer, then the Colts would just need that impact Sam LB esp in the 4-3 Under... your guys or more of standard Cover Two linebackers... having a line-up of Robinson Will, Te'o Mike, Angerer Sam. Which is fine but in that case I think I would want Spence drafted to play Will he is faster. But I would rather see an impact Sam, like a Hightower, Burfict, or Ronnel Lewis.

The earliest that I would want to draft a LB would be the 2nd round. A couple of guys that I would think about drafting would be Zac Brown at WLB if he falls or Burfict to play either MLB or WLB, depending on Angerer playing well at WLB. I don't think Manti Teo will drop to the 2nd round, and I can't think of any other highly rater LB's.

Also, doesn't a WLB have to be athletic and fast? Clint Session was both of those, and Zac Brown is extremely fast and athletic for a LB. I don't know if he would drop until the 2nd round either though.

And one more thing, I didn't think Pat Angerer was a very good SLB. He just didn't seem to fit the position or play well there. He has looked pretty good at MLB, but I was hoping that he would do a little better in coverage and maybe get an interception as well. By the way, who filled in at MLB for Angerer after he got injured yesterday? Was it Ernie Sims? I noticed Edd's has a few tackles as well. Philip Wheeler is my starting SLB as well.

How did Mike Murphy coach? Was he passive and vanilla in playcalling like we usually are? That's what I've heard so far and it's very disappointing.

Sorry you sent that right before I posted this for you.. I could really see Ingram playing Sam in the 4-3 Under as well! But I think it depends on the system of who to draft, but I like Te'o coming in no matter what, he could play Will or Mike, depending on the system, same with Angerer, then the Colts would just need that impact Sam LB esp in the 4-3 Under... your guys or more of standard Cover Two linebackers... having a line-up of Robinson Will, Te'o Mike, Angerer Sam. Which is fine but in that case I think I would want Spence drafted to play Will he is faster. But I would rather see an impact Sam, like a Hightower, Burfict, or Ronnel Lewis.

I don't want Spence, Kenny Tate, Lavonte David or Travis Lewis at this point. We finally got away from the 220 lb LBs and I don't want to go back. Now if Tate, David or Lewis are committed to going into the strength and conditioning program and have the ability and desire to put on around 15-20 lbs of muscle then I'd be willing to change my tune. IMO though Spence will have to move to safety in the NFL. At 5'11 and 224 lbs, he's undersized in both height and weight for a LB. That's why I like Robinson and Bradham. They have good size and speed to play OLB in a pro system.

@Ramblin- So your holding to your guns of taking Caliborne in the first round, and if the Colts traded with the Browns, what are you doing with that second pick in the first? Also it depends on what the system the Colts are using to maknig personnel effective. I think Angerer would be better at Sam in a normal Cover 2 because the responsibility in coverage is only tight ends, at Will it could be slot receivers. So it is correlated to the future coaching staff and defense. But I would still like two new linebackers here, I don't think Angerer is that bad middle linebacker the Colts need.

@Jason- I completely understand not liking under sized linebackers, I just am not a big fan of the current ones either, but alot of people seem to really like them, I guess living in Baltimore im used to talented linebackers. We both love Te'o to be brough in whether he plays Mike, Sam, or Will, the guy gets it done and has bad intentions! And I think another impact linebacker at Sam like a Hightower, Burfict, or Ronnel Lewis could do that trick, since they are so disruptive, and well rounded!

@Ramblin- So your holding to your guns of taking Caliborne in the first round, and if the Colts traded with the Browns, what are you doing with that second pick in the first? Also it depends on what the system the Colts are using to maknig personnel effective. I think Angerer would be better at Sam in a normal Cover 2 because the responsibility in coverage is only tight ends, at Will it could be slot receivers. So it is correlated to the future coaching staff and defense. But I would still like two new linebackers here, I don't think Angerer is that bad middle linebacker the Colts need.

@Jason- I completely understand not liking under sized linebackers, I just am not a big fan of the current ones either, but alot of people seem to really like them, I guess living in Baltimore im used to talented linebackers. We both love Te'o to be brough in whether he plays Mike, Sam, or Will, the guy gets it done and has bad intentions! And I think another impact linebacker at Sam like a Hightower, Burfict, or Ronnel Lewis could do that trick, since they are so disruptive, and well rounded!

I thought you remembered? With the 2nd pick in the 1st round I am still drafting Brandon Thompson. I don't really think it depends on the system, especially for a D-lineman. A DT in a 4-3 will pretty much do the same thing, it doesn't matter if is a base 4-3, a 4-3 under, a 4-3 over, a nickle, or a dime formation. I don't want Angerer to play SLB in our normal 4-3 or what you want us to do a 4-3 under. He just hasn't played well there, whether it's having trouble tackling or taking on blockers or whatever. Ronnel Lewis is mainly a pass rusher, so he's more of a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. I don't think that he would do very well in coverage.

I do remember the Brandon Thompson selection, thats my mistake! :P Although I am less and less of a fan of his the more I watch him play..By the system I was referring to the linebackers. I don't want Angerer as the SAM in the 4-3 Under either! In the 4-3 Under it would actually be two middle linebackers similar to the nickel defense, except the SAM is on the field and the LOS not a third corner! Which would be tremendous to have Te'o and Angerer on the field, two ideal Mike Linebackers! And that is where Ronnel Lewis could be the 5th man on the LOS who is the SAM linebacker, or Hightower, or Burfict would all be satisfactory there as well!