Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Polian Rebuild This Team

OLD FAN MAN

I think if Polian gets out of his own way he could successful rebuild this team. He needs to get out of the philosophies and schemes business and hire a competent personnel manager and head coach with a backbone to install his own philosphies and schemes. Polian needs to work his magic and make trades, draft players to fit the new coaches philosophies and schemes, and sign free agents. I was very upset with the promotion of Caldwell to head coach because I felt it was a great opportunity to change directions and install something new.

I think if Polian gets out of his own way he could successful rebuild this team. He needs to get out of the philosophies and schemes business and hire a competent personnel manager and head coach with a backbone to install his own philosphies and schemes. Polian needs to work his magic and make trades, draft players to fit the new coaches philosophies and schemes, and sign free agents. I was very upset with the promotion of Caldwell to head coach because I felt it was a great opportunity to change directions and install something new.

i agree it would work if he would let go ,and let the coach do his thing and bp do his thing

I agree but no way will Polian give up that control.

Yes firing Coyer is good start, it opens a door for FIRING Caldwell in the off season. As much as a Peyton fan I am a bigger colts fan. If Peyton is Healthy I'm believing more and more we will trade him (to a team of his choice cause he has done so much selfless acts to better the colts, I think Irsay would honor it.) That in return for more draft picks to help rebuild. To sum it up quickly. 1. Fire Caldwell, bring in Jeff Fisher as new head coach he will then bring in his own DC. 2. Change defence scheme from tampa 2 to cover 2/ 4-3 under. 3. Trade Manning for draft picks. 4. Cut Buillett, Brackett, Foster and Gonzo. 5. Resign Wayne and Mathis, Saturday and Diem. Try and rework Freeneys contract to be more cap friendly. 5. Go after SS Landry and CB (Flowers maybe) in free agencey. 6. Draft Luck, beef up Defense and O-line. Draft SMART. Hopefully that will do it.

Yes firing Coyer is good start, it opens a door for FIRING Caldwell in the off season. As much as a Peyton fan I am a bigger colts fan. If Peyton is Healthy I'm believing more and more we will trade him (to a team of his choice cause he has done so much selfless acts to better the colts, I think Irsay would honor it.) That in return for more draft picks to help rebuild. To sum it up quickly. 1. Fire Caldwell, bring in Jeff Fisher as new head coach he will then bring in his own DC. 2. Change defence scheme from tampa 2 to cover 2/ 4-3 under. 3. Trade Manning for draft picks. 4. Cut Buillett, Brackett, Foster and Gonzo. 5. Resign Wayne and Mathis, Saturday and Diem. Try and rework Freeneys contract to be more cap friendly. 5. Go after SS Landry and CB (Flowers maybe) in free agencey. 6. Draft Luck, beef up Defense and O-line. Draft SMART. Hopefully that will do it.

sounds like a plan to me

Polian has been fired from every team he's been with, once he has worn out his welcome as he has here. One of his biggest problems is the fact that HE wants to be in total control of the team, and he wants to be the "boss" that tells them which players to play and what schemes to use etc. He claims that signing free agents is "bad practice" that he would rather build through the draft...yet he spends on poor quality free agents, other teams cast offs and practice squad players...so he is only against signing GOOD free agents, but has no issue with signing ones who no other team wants.

We NEED a GM who is a good talent evaluation guy who is willing to work with the NEW head coach and coordinators to help draft the players THEY need for THEIR system, not the players that the GM tells them to use in HIS system. And the coaches should be allowed to implement the system that THEY want, not the one that the GM tells them they have to use.

So i guess to answer your question, no, i do not trust Polian to rebuild our team. Personally i feel that he has worn out his welcome here, as he has done in every other city he's worked. He has a huge ego, has no respect for the fans who in essence pay his salary, and feels like he has to run the entire show, when he should instead stay out of the way. He has filled the team with sub par players because he will not admit when he's made mistakes...because he drafts guys too high or that we dont need, because he has a desire for people to think he's some kind of genius for finding players that no one else knew about...he's filled the team with undrafted players and castoffs because he would rather make better players the scapegoat when we fail (Ryan Lilja, Jake Scott etc) or because rather than pay our own quality guys, he would rather let them walk and replace them with cheap guys that no other team wants.

If he wouldve checked his ego and actually signed key free agents in areas of need...or worked the draft in order to get players in areas of need, its not a stretch to think that with Peyton Manning, we could have and SHOULD have won many Super Bowls...but instead, he has forced Peyton to shoulder the load and cover up for his own (Polian) mistakes. While i'm happy to have had Edgerrin James on our team, you DO realize that he turned down the Saints offer of their entire draft so that they could draft a player that we werent going to take anyhow!?

At one time, we had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL...but he didnt wanna pay for Jake Scott, and then he made Lilja the scapegoat when we lost the super bowl...those guys went on to the Titans and Chiefs, respectively, and wouldnt you know that those two teams went on to have some of the top rushing teams in football at the time.

Bill ALWAYS blames someone else for his own problems. The reason Mora was fired was because he refused to fire Fangio (his defensive coordinator)...Mora said that the coaching wasnt the problem, but it was rather the lack of talent that Fangio had to work with...and wouldnt you know it, Fangio is now the defensive coordinator of the 49ers, who have the #1 ranked defense in the NFC.

So to me, i wish that Irsay would clean house at the end of this season. Hire a GM that will do his job and let the coaches do theirs...and hire a coach who will put together a good coaching staff and a good system to build from going forward.

Polian has been fired from every team he's been with, once he has worn out his welcome as he has here. One of his biggest problems is the fact that HE wants to be in total control of the team, and he wants to be the "boss" that tells them which players to play and what schemes to use etc. He claims that signing free agents is "bad practice" that he would rather build through the draft...yet he spends on poor quality free agents, other teams cast offs and practice squad players...so he is only against signing GOOD free agents, but has no issue with signing ones who no other team wants.

We NEED a GM who is a good talent evaluation guy who is willing to work with the NEW head coach and coordinators to help draft the players THEY need for THEIR system, not the players that the GM tells them to use in HIS system. And the coaches should be allowed to implement the system that THEY want, not the one that the GM tells them they have to use.

So i guess to answer your question, no, i do not trust Polian to rebuild our team. Personally i feel that he has worn out his welcome here, as he has done in every other city he's worked. He has a huge ego, has no respect for the fans who in essence pay his salary, and feels like he has to run the entire show, when he should instead stay out of the way. He has filled the team with sub par players because he will not admit when he's made mistakes...because he drafts guys too high or that we dont need, because he has a desire for people to think he's some kind of genius for finding players that no one else knew about...he's filled the team with undrafted players and castoffs because he would rather make better players the scapegoat when we fail (Ryan Lilja, Jake Scott etc) or because rather than pay our own quality guys, he would rather let them walk and replace them with cheap guys that no other team wants.

If he wouldve checked his ego and actually signed key free agents in areas of need...or worked the draft in order to get players in areas of need, its not a stretch to think that with Peyton Manning, we could have and SHOULD have won many Super Bowls...but instead, he has forced Peyton to shoulder the load and cover up for his own (Polian) mistakes. While i'm happy to have had Edgerrin James on our team, you DO realize that he turned down the Saints offer of their entire draft so that they could draft a player that we werent going to take anyhow!?

At one time, we had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL...but he didnt wanna pay for Jake Scott, and then he made Lilja the scapegoat when we lost the super bowl...those guys went on to the Titans and Chiefs, respectively, and wouldnt you know that those two teams went on to have some of the top rushing teams in football at the time.

Bill ALWAYS blames someone else for his own problems. The reason Mora was fired was because he refused to fire Fangio (his defensive coordinator)...Mora said that the coaching wasnt the problem, but it was rather the lack of talent that Fangio had to work with...and wouldnt you know it, Fangio is now the defensive coordinator of the 49ers, who have the #1 ranked defense in the NFC.

So to me, i wish that Irsay would clean house at the end of this season. Hire a GM that will do his job and let the coaches do theirs...and hire a coach who will put together a good coaching staff and a good system to build from going forward.

One big problem with this he wasn't fired form the Panthers or the Colts. We traded a third round draft pick to get him from the Panthers so he's been fired once and that was with the Bills and it has since come out that he was fired because him and a member of the Bills upper managment didn't get along and it had nothing to do with his performance.

Like Polian or not but what he has done has worked 11 of the 14 years he's been here and I think several people are losing sight of that because of one season. While Polian's track record doesn't make this season acceptable this season also doesn't trump his track record either.

This team is missing the biggest peace to how they were put together in Peyton Manning. If we had that peace it's very realistic to think this team would be 8-3 at worst right now. If that were the case I really doubt people would be upset about him. Losing Peyton Manning isn't like losing a guy you just replace, it's like if you have a home with a bad foundation, you can't fix it. If you have a good foundation you can fix just about any problem with a house. That's sorta what is wrong with the Colts right now our foundation is Peyton Manning and we don't have him so the whole thing is broken. If we get him back or get another franchise QB like Luck I am sure Polian can fix this team.

Also I would love to see a link to that Saints story that's the first time I've heard it. I am not saying you are wrong but it's just the first time I've heard it and would like to see where you got it from.

Youre making my point for me...i said he has worn out his welcome at every other job he's had (i did NOT say the Colts had fired him, although i hope he does step down)...he was let go from Buffalo because of his attitude i mentioned...as for the Saints story, they were trying to trade up to draft Rickey Williams, who everyone thought would be the #1 running back selected and everyone expected us to take a running back...so wouldnt common sense say that the saints probably gave us a call, instead of a team picking after us? And no, i'm not just going by "what common sense says", but i was pointing it out.

As for his track record here and how its "worked" for so many years and no one complaining while we're winning etc...thats far from the truth. If it has "worked" we would have more than one Super Bowl. We have had the best QB to ever play the game, and Bill has NOT put the right talent around him to give him the best chance to win. He has also not given the coaches the ability to do their job without him interfering in matters.

So Bill Polian's "track record" impresses you? He's had Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Peyton Manning etc and won ONE Super Bowl...ONE

When we were 14-0, HE decided to rest our starters (although most seasons that we have done that, we have been VERY rusty in our first playoff game)...he didnt ask the players how they felt...he didnt let the coaches decide...HE decided to do it. He was even so arrogant as to say that our goal was to win our division and and get home field advantage, but our goal was NOT to win every single game...so by saying that, he basically said that his goal was to LOSE some games...face it, if you're goal isnt to win every game you play, then you're saying your goal is to lose a few. He deems them "meaningless games"...but no game is "meaningless"...if that were the case, then our season right now would also be very meaningless...yet you dont see him putting the starters on the bench...why? because he doesnt want 0-16 next to his name in the record books. While i dont blame him for not wanting that distinction along with my name, it just goes to show what a hypocrite he is with his definition of "meaningless games".

I'm not going to hang my hat on the "track record" of a GM who was lucky enough to draft the best QB to ever play the game...This season makes it painfully obvious that he has done a poor job with the talent around Peyton and a poor job with the coaches/puppets he has for this team...to say "but we have won 10+ the past several seasons..." yes we have, but we have had Peyton Manning for each and every one of those...and had Polian done a better job of putting talent around him, we would have most likely won MULTIPLE super bowls during Mannings past 13yrs here.

Polian has to rebuild this team, as the story is about his job right now. (I believe Caldwell's job will be over latest in the off season).

If he could rebuild the team, depends on his decisions, how successful the next draft will be, who would be picked as HC and so on...

I agree with Sarah Fernandez Belbot at every point but trading Manning (because I think a rookie QB, be it Luck or anybody else wouldn't be able to play even at an average level in the NFL in his first year).

The team needs fresh blood, but we need to keep our experienced (not veteran) players.

We also have to find quality second strings (just think of present QB-crisis).

As much as I have criticized Polian and his leadership, I would welcome a change as the poster described above.

Easy, my two cents.

Barring his health is good bring back Manning, draft Luck/Barkley to take over in a few years. Do not resign Clark, Addai, Wayne and Mathias unles they are willing to take less. Move Collie to starting WR with Garcon and draft heavy on the defensive side of the ball (DBs and LB). Vie fee agency. pick up O-linemen to sure up the offense a bit and try to find a kick returner to help with field positions issues. Also draft a TE to back up Tamme.

Bill has his faults, and they have contributed to this season, but isn't he basically moving aside and isn't Chris the one taking on more of the GM role and team construction? Do you not trust Chris Polian?

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the team is going to be fine. Offensive line should be light years better than it was two years ago, which improves the run game. The defensive line needs a couple players. The secondary needs a couple players. I can't begin to try to figure out what we need to do on special teams, but I don't really think that's a personnel issue, not with all the players we've had on special teams and returning kicks. And if it is a personnel issue, then we're talking about grabbing a returner. I figure we'll be good at quarterback, one way or the other. I said after we got beat 34-7 in the opener that the team has potential to be better, if we get everything in line. Since then, we've been hurt with injuries, a ridiculous defensive scheme, and ineffective quarterback play.

I'm not saying we don't suck. We do. There's some changes that need to be made. But we have talent. We should have even more talent come April, simply by virtue of where we're drafting this year. Don't let us fool around and get Manning back -- that's 10 wins by itself. We definitely have to make smart decisions, both with coaching and personnel decisions. But I don't see us stripping down and doing a full scale rebuild. If we do it right, this can be the one bad season that good teams usually wind up having eventually. If we do it right, it can be just one bad season.

Bill has his faults, and they have contributed to this season, but isn't he basically moving aside and isn't Chris the one taking on more of the GM role and team construction? Do you not trust Chris Polian?

Its easy to see who is still in charge of the team. Our coach does not have a radio show and neither does Chris. Every time any national media talks to someone from our team, its Bill answering all the questions...the things he says and does shows pretty clearly that at least in his own mind, he's still in charge.

Lots of NFL teams head coaches have their own radio show...but we're the only team in the NFL who's GM (or whatever you want to call Bill) has their own radio show while the head coach time and again is clueless at the podium when asked questions, because Bill hasnt told him about things yet (roster moves, who's starting at what position etc)

Its easy to see who is still in charge of the team. Our coach does not have a radio show and neither does Chris. Every time any national media talks to someone from our team, its Bill answering all the questions...the things he says and does shows pretty clearly that at least in his own mind, he's still in charge.

Lots of NFL teams head coaches have their own radio show...but we're the only team in the NFL who's GM (or whatever you want to call Bill) has their own radio show while the head coach time and again is clueless at the podium when asked questions, because Bill hasnt told him about things yet (roster moves, who's starting at what position etc)

Why does it matter that Bill has a show and the HC doesn't?

@coltsblue: You are really misinterpreting the whole "..our goal is not to win every game," quote. What he's saying is that no one sets a goal of going 16-0. Teams have smaller, short-term goals to benefit them in the long run. Winning the division is almost always #1 on everyone's list, followed by jockeying for playoff position. The Super Bowl is the next goal.

What gives a team the best chance of accomplishing the last piece of that list? A healthy team. Rest brings players back. Had we gone all-out with our first team in weeks 15 and 16, we may not have even gotten to the big dance. Even if we did go 16-0 (which was no guarantee playing in snowy Buffalo, or against a Jets team desperate to make the playoffs), we still got outplayed by the Saints. Rust wasn't an excuse, because we had just completed two playoff games. If we had gone 18-1, you guys would have demanded heads the moment that clock read 00:00.

He didn't throw the games, he just wanted to rest our key players. The back up crew still tried to win. Besides, didn't Polian say he left the decision up to Caldwell to make at halftime?

I'm not saying I fully endorse this philosophy either, just that you are pushing a smear campaugn based on false assumptions and misinformation.

Hilarious.

Dungy had his show. Remember Sitting Down with Dungy? Caldwell did it a few times here and there. I always thought he just didn't want to do it anymore. In any event, there's nothing to suggest that Polian told him to stop.

All in all, what difference does it make?

ok, you guys that want to believe that Polian is doing a great job, and that he's not telling coaches n players etc what to do, fine...but for some people, its not too hard to look at things and see how Bill runs things.

My point wasnt that i'm upset that Caldwell doesnt have a radio show or that i'm upset because Bill does...my point is that Bill is running the show and he dictates who does what, who plays n who doesnt and what schemes the coaches use.

While i'm sure youre right, doogan about teams not setting a goal of going 16-0, I would like you to show me a team that doesnt want to win every game they play...and you said "who's to say that we wouldve beaten the jets anyhow..."...well, considering the fact that we had a pretty good lead when Caldwell benched the starters, i'm pretty secure in saying that we wouldve won that game...as for Buffalo, they werent exactly a powerhouse that season. While going undefeated isnt a "big deal", what IS a big deal is allowing the players to go out there and do their job, not benching them all for "rest"...

You say "what if someone wouldve got injured..."...well if you're worried about players getting hurt, then why trot 'em all out there to start both games? youre just as likely to get hurt in the 1st quarter as the 4th, are you not? sure you may be tired by the 4th...but so is the other team.

All in all, what difference does it make?

I don't think it makes much of a difference, it just shows something about his ego, if it doesn't make a difference why does Polian feel like he needs to have a show, when it is by far the exception in the NFL for GMs to have their own show, it is not like he is very revealing of TRUE or INSIGHTFUL information on his show so it's not like he is really an outlet for insider information for Joe Colt fan...

I will say though Polian is a stand up guy though, he does shake all the players hands while they are stretching out pre-game...

You say "what if someone wouldve got injured..."...well if you're worried about players getting hurt, then why trot 'em all out there to start both games? youre just as likely to get hurt in the 1st quarter as the 4th, are you not? sure you may be tired by the 4th...but so is the other team.

This was EXACTLY the thing that was most frustrating...

Why even start them, oh yeah...so Peyton could keep his active starts streak & so Dallas & Reggie could get their stats, those stats seemed to matter but not the seasons W-L !?!?!?

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the team is going to be fine. Offensive line should be light years better than it was two years ago, which improves the run game. The defensive line needs a couple players. The secondary needs a couple players. I can't begin to try to figure out what we need to do on special teams, but I don't really think that's a personnel issue, not with all the players we've had on special teams and returning kicks. And if it is a personnel issue, then we're talking about grabbing a returner. I figure we'll be good at quarterback, one way or the other. I said after we got beat 34-7 in the opener that the team has potential to be better, if we get everything in line. Since then, we've been hurt with injuries, a ridiculous defensive scheme, and ineffective quarterback play.

I'm not saying we don't suck. We do. There's some changes that need to be made. But we have talent. We should have even more talent come April, simply by virtue of where we're drafting this year. Don't let us fool around and get Manning back -- that's 10 wins by itself. We definitely have to make smart decisions, both with coaching and personnel decisions. But I don't see us stripping down and doing a full scale rebuild. If we do it right, this can be the one bad season that good teams usually wind up having eventually. If we do it right, it can be just one bad season.

I agree with this. Colts need a new coaching staff and added depth at certain positions, some by upgrading the position(move current starter to 2nd string), others by getting backups. But this team doesnt need to be completely rebuilt.

I don't think it makes much of a difference, it just shows something about his ego, if it doesn't make a difference why does Polian feel like he needs to have a show, when it is by far the exception in the NFL for GMs to have their own show, it is not like he is very revealing of TRUE or INSIGHTFUL information on his show so it's not like he is really an outlet for insider information for Joe Colt fan...

I will say though Polian is a stand up guy though, he does shake all the players hands while they are stretching out pre-game...

Glad that i'm not the only one who's noticed that Polian is at every pre game warm up to walk around giving a few last words to the players (since the coach obviously doesnt)...and give 'em all a handshake... lol

I like his show. I've been able to put together a bunch of relevant information, not just about the Colts, but about the NFL, over the years. I'm not in Indy so I read the transcripts. After The Decision in 2009, it was ridiculous. He was way off, and you're right, he is arrogant, and he does have a huge ego, and maybe he doesn't need a show. But then again, who needs a show? It's a way for the figurehead of the team to reach out to fans. I don't know why people always ring this up as a point of contention with regard to Polian. It's highly irrelevant to me.

Lets see what Chris can do before we give him the boot due to his last name. I have actually been happy with the recent offseason and you cannot fault Chris for Peyton not playing which was not accounted for. But he has shored up the Oline, and with Peyton at the control the offense would be as good as it has been in the last 4 years or so. He has brought in some young key defensive players (ie. Angerer, Conner, and Nevis) to begin the change. The Colts have taken the steps in the right direction the last 2 years we have gotten quality players in draft and this year FA as well. So to answer the question yes i believe Chris can rebuild this team.

The Colts offense was like a race car that only Manning could handle. If you put Manning back in the drivers seat it might be possible to rebuild it by adding/subtracting parts but the coaching staff has to go...it's like a pit crew that does not function. And if BP/CP do not stay then the Colts will need to start over completely with a new "everything" as Joe Thomas did in the early 70's with the Colts to rebuild to the mid 70's Bert Jones teams.

But no matter which way the Colts go, I have this inner sinking feeling that all teams need an inner creative "genius" to fuel success and the Colts creative mojo for most of the last decade was provided by Tom Moore (and his offensive system). We have no replacement for him and unless Manning is the mojo to keep that creative system working then we need to hire a really creative offensive coach (and I don't see who that is).

But no matter which way the Colts go, I have this inner sinking feeling that all teams need an inner creative "genius" to fuel success and the Colts creative mojo for most of the last decade was provided by Tom Moore (and his offensive system). We have no replacement for him and unless Manning is the mojo to keep that creative system working then we need to hire a really creative offensive coach (and I don't see who that is).

Moore certainly did well in conjunction with Peyton, but hasn't done jack as an offensive consultant for the Jets thus far. Sanchez is a far cry from Peyton who, make no mistake, has always been our mojo.

The Colts don't run a whole lot of elaborate plays. They're an O built around timing and execution. Teams that play us tend to know what we'll do but simply can't stop it. (Well, now they can lol)

It's a significant bonus when your QB is ridiculous at reading coverages and can put your men in the best possible positions. On top of that he gets rid of the ball quicker and more accurately than anyone in the game.

Realistically I'd say Mudd was more of a loss for the Colts than Moore. Our O-line has been bottom of the league terrible since he left. (Although it was on the decline while he was still here)

I wouldn't call it rebuild, but rather improving this team. We're a great team with PM, just that our problem is the D, which with a couple of good draft picks/ signings could be good like our D from the early to mid 2000's.

You mean can Polian build "A" team instead of just having one guy do 75% of the work?

The thing is Polian did a build a team, he built it AROUND Peyton Manning. He got players suited to having a franchise QB. Which is why it worked for years. Now he loses the thing the whole team is built around and it falls apart, not that shocking. Like I've said before if we had Peyton this team is probably 8-3 at worst and most people aren't upset about the way the team is built or the job Polian is doing. It's like having a nice car and losing engine and then being upset that the rest of the car doesn't work without the engine.

I like his show. I've been able to put together a bunch of relevant information, not just about the Colts, but about the NFL, over the years. I'm not in Indy so I read the transcripts. After The Decision in 2009, it was ridiculous. He was way off, and you're right, he is arrogant, and he does have a huge ego, and maybe he doesn't need a show. But then again, who needs a show? It's a way for the figurehead of the team to reach out to fans. I don't know why people always ring this up as a point of contention with regard to Polian. It's highly irrelevant to me.

Polian does not have this show as any benefit to the fans...he's on more than one occasion called fans stupid and know nothings...he also has the questions/callers from his show HEAVILY screened and sometimes scripted, in order to get across whatever point he thinks he needs to make.

The thing is Polian did a build a team, he built it AROUND Peyton Manning. He got players suited to having a franchise QB. Which is why it worked for years. Now he loses the thing the whole team is built around and it falls apart, not that shocking. Like I've said before if we had Peyton this team is probably 8-3 at worst and most people aren't upset about the way the team is built or the job Polian is doing. It's like having a nice car and losing engine and then being upset that the rest of the car doesn't work without the engine.

How does having terrible players on defense equate to 'building around a franchise QB?' Did Peyton's presence change who Polian drafted on defense, or who the team selected as coordinator? You're arguing that Peyton's presence makes the defense play better, when this year suggests that Peyton was masking the horrible defense that was already there. If Peyton was healthy, the record would be vastly better and the stats would be somewhat better, but it wouldn't be because the defense was build around Peyton; it would be because he'd be compensating for flaws that are there regardless of whether he's healthy or not. Corners+safeties that can't cover and defensive tackles that get pushed around are liabilities no matter who the QB is.

How does having terrible players on defense equate to 'building around a franchise QB?' Did Peyton's presence change who Polian drafted on defense, or who the team selected as coordinator? You're arguing that Peyton's presence makes the defense play better, when this year suggests that Peyton was masking the horrible defense that was already there. If Peyton was healthy, the record would be vastly better and the stats would be somewhat better, but it wouldn't be because the defense was build around Peyton; it would be because he'd be compensating for flaws that are there regardless of whether he's healthy or not. Corners+safeties that can't cover and defensive tackles that get pushed around are liabilities no matter who the QB is.

So Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, Conner, Powers, and Bethea are now terrible players hunh?

Also a suspect defense has everything to do with building around a franchise QB. Building around a franchise QB means they put their money into getting as many weapons as they can for Peyton which they have done over the years. It's the high draft picks on offense, Gonzo, Ugoh, Pollack, and Brown till this year with Hughes thrown in there, not living up to expectations that is hurting this team more than the defense. Other than turnovers which needs to improve the defense is on par with what has always been with Peyton Manning which has worked to win games. This team is losing games mostly because of a lack of talent at the QB spot. We fix that problem and most of these other problems will go back to being what they were before, problems we can live with and still win which is what every team has in the NFL because that's what the sallary cap forces.

So Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, Conner, Powers, and Bethea are now terrible players hunh?

Also a suspect defense has everything to do with building around a franchise QB. Building around a franchise QB means they put their money into getting as many weapons as they can for Peyton which they have done over the years. It's the high draft picks on offense, Gonzo, Ugoh, Pollack, and Brown till this year with Hughes thrown in there, not living up to expectations that is hurting this team more than the defense. Other than turnovers which needs to improve the defense is on par with what has always been with Peyton Manning which has worked to win games. This team is losing games mostly because of a lack of talent at the QB spot. We fix that problem and most of these other problems will go back to being what they were before, problems we can live with and still win which is what every team has in the NFL because that's what the sallary cap forces.

So building around a franchise QB causes a team to have a suspect D? Every team has weakness because of salary cap?

Well riddle me this...with the salary cap, how can these teams (all with high priced QBs) aford offensive weapons (WR/TE/RB) and also have good offensive lines and defensive players (our forced salary cap weakness by what you said):

New England has Tom Brady but can still afford : Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Brian Waters and Sabastian Vollmer...Welker, Branch, Gronkowski, Green-Ellis, Faulk

AND also manage to pay Wilfork and Carter (and up until a few weeks ago Haynesworth)

The Giants still manage to afford Tuck, Osi, Pierre-Paul, Kiwanuka, Rolle, Grant and Amukamara

The Eagles still manage to afford Babin, Jenkins, Samuel, Rogers-Cromartie, Asomugha and Allen

The Ravens have Cody, Ngata, Lewis, Suggs, Reed etc

The Packers have Woodson, Collins, Harris, Hawk, Barnett, Kampman, Raji, Mathews and Bishop

The Steelers have Hood, Hampton, Keisel, Woodley, Farrior, Timmons, Harrison, Polamalu, Clark and Taylor

These are all teams that spend just as much or more than we do on offensive but still manage to pay several players on D that are better than everyone on our D except Freeney, Mathis, Bathea and MAYBE Nevis in a year or two.

My point is, you can find ways to do it if you WANT to...but Polian would rather stick to the Tampa 2 and draft accordingly (only the players we have now dont even fit with what Polian makes the D coaches run)