Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Qb Taken In A Draft Since 2000

This is a list of the first qb taken in a draft from the year 2000 till now.

Id like for you guys to tell me which qb you think was taken at the right time, which was taken to early and which should not have been taken at all.

2000: Chad Pennington Rd1, #18 over all. I havent heard anything about Pennington for years. Id say he was a bust?

2001:Michael Vick Rd1 #1. Id say this might be a good pick, but I believe the falcons gave alot away for this pick. I dont know if it was worth all that but good pick IMO

2002: David Carr Rd1 #1 pick...think it is best said something like...Bust!

2003: Carson Palmer Rd1 #1 Pick...I think he should have been later on in the draft that year.

2004: Eli Manning Rd1 #1 pick..Phillip rivers and Ben Rothlisberger were also in the draft..Not a bad pick, but honestly I think Ben should have probably been the number 1 pick IMO

2005: Alex Smith rd1 #1 pick...Rogers should have went number 1 this year but just didnt workout that way, He went 24th...Alex I think should have went 2nd at best.

2006: Vince Young rd1 #3 pick...I think he was project to go at number 1 or 2 but DE Williams and RB Bush came before him...I honestly think he should have went late 1 round and been behind a qb like Favre or Manning( not saying I want him in INDY, just an example)

2007: Jamarcus Russell Rd1 #1...Probably one of the biggest bust in a while...This kid is at best a 7th round pick IMO...But see I never seen any college tape, Im purely saying this off his pro career, which we dont know how someone will be in the pro's till they are here obviously. But this kid just didnt pan out and I dont know what people seen in him for him to be a #1 pick over all?

2008: Matt Ryan rd1 #3, This I think is a good place for "Matty Ice"

2009: Matthew Stafford Rd 1 #1 pick...Not a bad pick, kid has one heck of an arm...just needs to stay healthy, I dont know if He is #1 pick worthy, I said like #3 or 4

2010: Sam Bradford rd 1 #1 pick, This might sound crazy, but I think Suh should have been #1 and Bradford at #2, but then again I think if bradford had a better team around him he would earn to #1 pick to me..the Rams just dont have it

2011: Cam Newton Rd 1 #1 pick.. The whole talk about Newton going as the 1st pick last year reminds me alot of the whole Colts taking Luck thing. Ill just let you guys decide on this one

I haven't heard anyone compare Luck or Barkley to any of these guys. People have continually said Luck is the best QB prospect since Peyton, so he trumps all of these guys. It doesn't matter what the past says in this situation because Luck is a better prospect than all of these guys.

Wow, that is inaccurate.

The reason no one compares Luck to those guys is because their pro careers have been relatively 'meh' outside of maybe Eli and Aaron (and solely for their Rings). You also have to remember that Aaron wasn't touted at all, and wasn't considered 'NFL-ready' by anyone's standards.

In other words, Luck hasn't established himself as anything in the NFL. If he were compared to anyone on that list who turned out to be inadequate, or even a bust, it would be like political sabotage. It's a hindsight thing, so no one wants to compare Luck to a guy like Russell - who, despite being touted as "a physical phenom with all of the tools to succeed at the next level" - and see themselves laughed out of the building. If Russell only had his college career to go off of, people would still consider him a promising prospect.

The talking heads have decided that, since Manning has forged a legendary NFL career, and called his own plays in college, Luck will do the same. Because...calling plays at the line must mean one will automatically dominate the NFL, right?

The Colts fans have watched Aaron Rodgers, and very little of Andrew Luck, and have assumed that the two are one in the same.

Luck has done nothing to be considered a better prospect than anyone who's ever taken an NFL snap. It's simple: he hasn't done so yet, and thus, he is in last place by default.

Wow, that is inaccurate.

The reason no one compares Luck to those guys is because their pro careers have been relatively 'meh' outside of maybe Eli and Aaron (and solely for their Rings). You also have to remember that Aaron wasn't touted at all, and wasn't considered 'NFL-ready' by anyone's standards.

In other words, Luck hasn't established himself as anything in the NFL. If he were compared to anyone on that list who turned out to be inadequate, or even a bust, it would be like political sabotage. It's a hindsight thing, so no one wants to compare Luck to a guy like Russell - who, despite being touted as "a physical phenom with all of the tools to succeed at the next level" - and see themselves laughed out of the building. If Russell only had his college career to go off of, people would still consider him a promising prospect.

The talking heads have decided that, since Manning has forged a legendary NFL career, and called his own plays in college, Luck will do the same. Because...calling plays at the line must mean one will automatically dominate the NFL, right?

The Colts fans have watched Aaron Rodgers, and very little of Andrew Luck, and have assumed that the two are one in the same.

Luck has done nothing to be considered a better prospect than anyone who's ever taken an NFL snap. It's simple: he hasn't done so yet, and thus, he is in last place by default.

He has been considered the best QB prospect, not the best QB out of the group. I never said he is better than any of those QBs, I said many claim he is a better prospect coming out of college. Whether or not he has a good NFL career depends on many factors.

What does this prove?

The point of this is to show that majority of the first qb's taken out of the draft the past 10+ years havent really been worth talking about...A few names in the list are still starters but really arent "phenomenal" like everyone is saying Luck will be....Im not trying to convince anyone Luck will be horrible in the nfl, because none of us know this..but I am trying to say...Let not waste our first round pick on this kid that we really dont know if he will be good....Look at the 98 Draft..Leaf was projected to be the number 1 pick that year...but Indy took Manning instead... 07 draft...Russell was claimed to be Phenomenal and look at him now, lol I think Painter could be considered a better qb then him...

So lets not be sold on this whole Luck idea just yet, look at how previous first Qbs have panned out verse the later picked QB's....05 Alex smith was 1st and rogers was 24....I think we can all say Rogers was the better qb of that whole entire draft class...So thats the point, Sit back and look at other options before being sold on something we arent even sure about..

Luck might be the guy, but Im just not sold yet

This is a list of the first qb taken in a draft from the year 2000 till now.

Id like for you guys to tell me which qb you think was taken at the right time, which was taken to early and which should not have been taken at all.

2000: Chad Pennington Rd1, #18 over all. I havent heard anything about Pennington for years. Id say he was a bust?

2001:Michael Vick Rd1 #1. Id say this might be a good pick, but I believe the falcons gave alot away for this pick. I dont know if it was worth all that but good pick IMO

2002: David Carr Rd1 #1 pick...think it is best said something like...Bust!

2003: Carson Palmer Rd1 #1 Pick...I think he should have been later on in the draft that year.

2004: Eli Manning Rd1 #1 pick..Phillip rivers and Ben Rothlisberger were also in the draft..Not a bad pick, but honestly I think Ben should have probably been the number 1 pick IMO

2005: Alex Smith rd1 #1 pick...Rogers should have went number 1 this year but just didnt workout that way, He went 24th...Alex I think should have went 2nd at best.

2006: Vince Young rd1 #3 pick...I think he was project to go at number 1 or 2 but DE Williams and RB Bush came before him...I honestly think he should have went late 1 round and been behind a qb like Favre or Manning( not saying I want him in INDY, just an example)

2007: Jamarcus Russell Rd1 #1...Probably one of the biggest bust in a while...This kid is at best a 7th round pick IMO...But see I never seen any college tape, Im purely saying this off his pro career, which we dont know how someone will be in the pro's till they are here obviously. But this kid just didnt pan out and I dont know what people seen in him for him to be a #1 pick over all?

2008: Matt Ryan rd1 #3, This I think is a good place for "Matty Ice"

2009: Matthew Stafford Rd 1 #1 pick...Not a bad pick, kid has one heck of an arm...just needs to stay healthy, I dont know if He is #1 pick worthy, I said like #3 or 4

2010: Sam Bradford rd 1 #1 pick, This might sound crazy, but I think Suh should have been #1 and Bradford at #2, but then again I think if bradford had a better team around him he would earn to #1 pick to me..the Rams just dont have it

2011: Cam Newton Rd 1 #1 pick.. The whole talk about Newton going as the 1st pick last year reminds me alot of the whole Colts taking Luck thing. Ill just let you guys decide on this one

All of your analysis of where they should have gone is basically hindsight. You can't really say that Jamarcus Russel should have been a 7th round pick at the time he was drafted and actually been serious about it. This is why it's hard to predict if a quarterback will be successful in the NFL.

All of your analysis of where they should have gone is basically hindsight. You can't really say that Jamarcus Russel should have been a 7th round pick at the time he was drafted and actually been serious about it. This is why it's hard to predict if a quarterback will be successful in the NFL.

Yeah I know that..thats why i said what i said behind Russel...None of us know what Luck will be like in the NFL....He might be the next Manning/Rogers....or Maybe he could end up like the next Russel....I am just making this list to show, which qbs are still around and which arent.

I think that list shows that its still a 50/50 proposition no matter who and when a QB is taken in the draft. Going on past draft picks is only one way to evaluate the situation however. The draft room warriors need to toss all of the factors into their mental computer, IE:

What is our current severity of need for said QB?

How well does said QB fit our system?

Are we going to use Said QB immediately?

Who is the Agent for Said QB?

How much is this likely to effect our cap space?

Does this QB have the potential to make us contenders in the future?

There is so much to sort, but I have began to believe in Barkley as well, so if they decide to trade down for an extra pick, and can still take Barkley, I wouldnt see much fault/risk in that.

Yeah I know that..thats why i said what i said behind Russel...None of us know what Luck will be like in the NFL....He might be the next Manning/Rogers....or Maybe he could end up like the next Russel....I am just making this list to show, which qbs are still around and which arent.

It's a good list too, but Rodgers is not as good as Manning so I wouldn't put them together yet. He has been very good this year, but that's only 1 year on a very talented team.

Luck seems like a good guy and quarterback, but that doesn't mean I want the colts to draft him. He might turn into a successful NFL quarterback or he might not. I don't want the colts to draft a QB for the main reason that it's a quarterback haha, it's nothing against Luck or Barkley or anyone else out there.

May not have been good in the mid 00's, but in recent history, it's been very good. Ryan, Stafford, Bradford and now Newton. So college has not produced many draft busts lately, I guess that's a good sign.

bradford is possibly on the way to being called a bust. This year there really isnt much difference between him and painter. Newton is still too early to call. He is not winning and while he put up amazing stats in the beginning he has really slowed down, but again its too early. Stafford and ryan look to good. So even recently i'd say its 50/50.

May not have been good in the mid 00's, but in recent history, it's been very good. Ryan, Stafford, Bradford and now Newton. So college has not produced many draft busts lately, I guess that's a good sign.

It's to early to say that Newton is a success, just like it's too early to say that Blaine Gabbert is a bust. Give them time before critiquing them. Matthew Stafford didn't look very good in the only game I watched him in against the Packers on Thanksgiving. On the other hand Aaron Rodgers looked like a little wimp calling for late hit penalties whenever he got pushed over against the Lions. I saw some of the worst pro Packer/anti Lion penalties in that game. If Green Bay games have been called like that all year then Aaron Rodgers is very overrated and a complete wimp.

Jamarcus Russell was well-known as a sluggard to ALOT of analysts before the draft. Big guy....strong arm.....deplorable work ethic.

Don't forget who drafted him....

al_davis.jpg

From what I remember, everyone had JaMarcus going #1. I don't remember seeing a single mock draft (though I didn't look at many to be honest) where JaMarcus wasn't number 1. So that one's not on Al, that one's on JaMarcus

From what I remember, everyone had JaMarcus going #1. I don't remember seeing a single mock draft (though I didn't look at many to be honest) where JaMarcus wasn't number 1. So that one's not on Al, that one's on JaMarcus

The question is though, did those mocks have Russell going #1 because he was the best player in that draft or because it was the Raiders picking #1? I honestly don't remember because I didn't pay much attention to college or mock drafts that year but I seem to remember a lot of the buzz being that Russell wouldn't have gone #1 if any other team had the pick and that Brady Quinn was the higher rated QB prospect.

The question is though, did those mocks have Russell going #1 because he was the best player in that draft or because it was the Raiders picking #1? I honestly don't remember because I didn't pay much attention to college or mock drafts that year but I seem to remember a lot of the buzz being that Russell wouldn't have gone #1 if any other team had the pick and that Brady Quinn was the higher rated QB prospect.

He was projected first overall after that great bowl game performance against Brady Quinn, who had a bad performance.

bradford is possibly on the way to being called a bust. This year there really isnt much difference between him and painter. Newton is still too early to call. He is not winning and while he put up amazing stats in the beginning he has really slowed down, but again its too early. Stafford and ryan look to good. So even recently i'd say its 50/50.

It's to early to say that Newton is a success, just like it's too early to say that Blaine Gabbert is a bust. Give them time before critiquing them. Matthew Stafford didn't look very good in the only game I watched him in against the Packers on Thanksgiving. On the other hand Aaron Rodgers looked like a little wimp calling for late hit penalties whenever he got pushed over against the Lions. I saw some of the worst pro Packer/anti Lion penalties in that game. If Green Bay games have been called like that all year then Aaron Rodgers is very overrated and a complete wimp.

Agreed that Newton is a little early, but from what I've seen from him this year, I have every right to believe that he will be good. Great arm and unbelievable running abilities. Sam Bradford is not a bust, it's an offseason that's early in his career. His rookie year was phenomenal and next year, he'll probably have a good year. Keep in mind, he's been playing injured all year and missed some games. Also, his line is terrible and he gets sacked so much, probably top 5 in the NFL. Once he gets help, he'll do well.

Nice question, I haven't thought of that. I know a number of people were high on Adrian Peterson but critics said his biggest faults were being injury prone and fumbling the ball.

After looking through a number of mock drafts, here is what most of them had to say. JaMarcus has incredible arm strength and his size allows him to survive the beatdown that Oakland's poor offensive line would permit. The Raiders were also negotiating with Garcia and Garcia told the club that if he signed, the team wouldn't be allowed to take a QB with the first pick. Negotiations broke down, leading everyone to think that the Raiders were going with JaMarcus. Al Davis also said that the team made a mistake by not taking a QB in the previous draft (which included Leinart, Young and Cutler who was still available at the time the Raiders picked and has become the best QB of that draft).

I don't think Bradford will be a bust. The team has no weapons around him.

Oh....Russell hit the off-seaon with a good enough head of steam to hold the top spot....but red flags started showing at the Combine.

What I remember the most about Russell was him showing up overweight at the Combine and taking part in absolutely no drills. I remember Mike Mayock and the NFLN crew expressing alot of concern over that.

The red flags proved accurate and in the end....the players Davis passed on for Russell is mindblowing....

Calvin Johnson

Joe Thomas

Adrian Peterson

Darrelle Revis

Few comments I have about the QB's in the TC's list...

David Carr - Analysts believe Carr is the perfect example how continued pressure and mounting sacks can break a QB's mentality. People speculate what Carr would have been like if the Texans had put him behind a better o-line. We will never know.

Carson Palmer - The Carson Palmer of old was phenomenally talented. I think maybe the antics with Ocho Cinco, T.O., and Marvin Lewis did him in. We will see what happens in Oakland, but so far he has shown tremendous speed in learning their offense.

Cam Newton - I think he's doing great, considering he's a rookie. He is a rare athlete who can both move well and has the arm to make passes happen. You can also tell he is very positive minded and loves the sport, as he smiles about as much as HInes Ward (well, almost). He is now in contention with Andy Dalton for Rookie of the Year.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone on the list.

Im still a newbie to the board, and therefore can't make my own post yet. But this thread got me thinking. It seems that those that do not agree that Manning and Luck and co-exist on the same team cite 2 reasons. First, being that it would be a salary cap night mare. Second, being that Luck would not want to sit for 2 or 3 seasons, and that being a probable 1st overall draft choice, he should not have to.

Im not going to go into argument #1. The new CBA changes this scenario.

I want to talk about argument #2; that Luck would not want to sit, or does not deserve to sit. Any rookie must understand that that are just that; a rookie. It is a privilege to start at a rookie, not a right. Most of the time when a rookie quarterback starts right away its because there is the lack of a viable veteran. However, a top pick quarterback is not required to start his first year or two. Take Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Both were drafted in the top 5, and both are sucessfull franchise quarterbacks for their teams. Eli Manning did not become the full time started until into his 2nd year, and Philip Rivers did not become the full time starter until his 3rd year.

This is not intended to be an argument of which draft prospect had or has better potential. It is just an argument to show that top draft picks, even top drafted quarterbacks, do not have to start right away.

Wow, that is inaccurate.

Have you been deaf and blind the past 10 years. No has ever said that these past QBs have been the best prospect since peyton manning, and thats why luck is a huge prospect. That is what this guy is trying to say.

Oh....Russell hit the off-seaon with a good enough head of steam to hold the top spot....but red flags started showing at the Combine.

What I remember the most about Russell was him showing up overweight at the Combine and taking part in absolutely no drills. I remember Mike Mayock and the NFLN crew expressing alot of concern over that.

The red flags proved accurate and in the end....the players Davis passed on for Russell is mindblowing....

Calvin Johnson

Joe Thomas

Adrian Peterson

Darrelle Revis

I remember the overweight issue at the combine. I also remember Mike Mayock saying once that JaMarcus Russell was the best workout he has ever seen. But even after watching the best workout he had ever scouted, Mayock said that he would not take JaMarcus with the first pick.