Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LaRon Landry (Mega Merge)

mattceinicram

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the team always gets Monday off, correct?

After wins, yes. You might have missed it, but we didn't win yesterday. 

And guys who need treatment or evaluation usually come in on Mondays anyways. First day off of suspension, it would seem like he'd be the first one in the building. 

I know this might sound slightly naive, but you'd think there would have been communication between the team and Landry about when he's expected back to the facility, just there could be no misunderstandings. Given that you have to wonder what he's playing at. 

For a locker room that's been built on the "team above all else" sort of ethos he's never been a team player and his performance hasn't justified not falling in line with the culture that the FO is trying to promote. 

Problem is there isn't a sensible way at this point I can see of moving him on, at least he's solid depth, but I have a horrid suspicion he'll be starting again soon.

Why the Jets of course! For Rex Ryan, get rid of Landry and solve our defensive woes all in one fall swoop!

The Jets wouldn't do that, which is my point. I would, though. Rex Ryan as a special consultant for the rest of the season? Sign me up.

In all honesty, our best bet with Landry is to release him sometime after the trade deadline. Then he goes through waivers, and maybe someone else will assume the rest of his contract, with no obligations beyond 2014. If not, we'll drop him after the season is over, I think.

The Jets wouldn't do that, which is my point. I would, though. Rex Ryan as a special consultant for the rest of the season? Sign me up.

In all honesty, our best bet with Landry is to release him sometime after the trade deadline. Then he goes through waivers, and maybe someone else will assume the rest of his contract, with no obligations beyond 2014. If not, we'll drop him after the season is over, I think.

Sorry I missed off the /Sarcasm smiley at the end of that post :P  

You'd know a lot better than me about the cap ins and outs of cutting players and when, but if we cut him after the trade deadline we'd still have an amount of dead money right? I'm not sure if we can't get a trade for him then to have as depth for the rest of the season when we're already thin at safety might not be the worst idea. Agree after the season cut him if we can't deal him

The more I think about Landry and his time here the more it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. I guess hit power isn't everything. 

I know this might sound slightly naive, but you'd think there would have been communication between the team and Landry about when he's expected back to the facility, just there could be no misunderstandings. Given that you have to wonder what he's playing at. 

For a locker room that's been built on the "team above all else" sort of ethos he's never been a team player and his performance hasn't justified not falling in line with the culture that the FO is trying to promote. 

Problem is there isn't a sensible way at this point I can see of moving him on, at least he's solid depth, but I have a horrid suspicion he'll be starting again soon.

The communication doesn't have to be with the team. I'm sure the notice he gets from the league makes very clear the day and time that his suspension is officially over. If it were me, I'd be at the facility as soon as possible, even if it is a day off. Even if I just go in to see the trainers. 

It rubs me the wrong way that, as of this afternoon, Pagano hadn't even heard from him. That's not acceptable. Even the first couple days of camp, I remember Grigson and Pagano saying something like 'he's coming in, I haven't seen him yet...' And then he wasn't cleared to practice for a week. I'm just not liking the LaRon Landry dynamic this year. On top of that stuff, he hasn't been very good on the field, so there's no redeeming factors for him.

Sorry I missed off the /Sarcasm smiley at the end of that post :P

You'd know a lot better than me about the cap ins and outs of cutting players and when, but if we cut him after the trade deadline we'd still have an amount of dead money right? I'm not sure if we can't get a trade for him then to have as depth for the rest of the season when we're already thin at safety might not be the worst idea. Agree after the season cut him if we can't deal him

The more I think about Landry and his time here the more it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. I guess hit power isn't everything. 

I knew you were being sarcastic. TKnight isn't, though. I'm just pointing out that there is no trade market for LaRon Landry. If there is, it's verrrrry minimal (like, conditional 7th rounder, at best). We can't trade him, I don't think.

As for the cap penalty / dead money, I've started to look at this in a different way over the past year or so. To answer your question, whatever we've paid him this year in base salary (four weeks, $706K) stays on our 2014 cap, plus the prorated signing bonus of $1.75m, for a cap hit of about $2.5m (he doesn't get paid during the suspension, and that money doesn't hit our cap, if I understand correctly). If he doesn't get claimed off waivers, then the remaining $1.6m in base salary stays on our 2014 cap as well, taking that cap him up to $4.1m, which is what his cap hit will be if he stays on our roster for the rest of the season.

And in 2015, we'd have a cap penalty of $3.5m, which is the signing bonus money that hasn't hit the cap yet.

Here's the thing, though. If we release him after the trade deadline, he has to go through waivers. Another team can claim him, and they'd be responsible for his remaining $1.6m in 2014, and that would come off of our cap. If we release him and no one claims him, he can still sign with another team. Let's say he signs for $1m, prorated, so his new team pays him $500K. That $500K comes off of our cap. While I don't think we could trade him, I do think someone would at least sign him for the rest of the season, if not claim him off waivers.

I don't know what's going on with him. I might be overreacting. It's most likely that we keep him on the roster for the rest of the season. But like you say earlier, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that makes our locker room better. Reggie's comments after his suspension were kind of surprising, because you never hear Reggie say anything negative about anyone. And now, he doesn't show up after his suspension, and the coach doesn't say "the guys had the day off, he wasn't due in today." The coach says "I haven't seen or heard from him yet." Not good. I'm done with him, personally. And I'm not usually the kind of guy to write someone off, but I don't think he belongs.

A glazed donut and a conditional 8th round pick. 

I don't think the CBA allows trades for donuts. And if it did, I don't think we could get a glazed. Maybe a plain...

Conditional 8th round pick is basically a compensatory, and those aren't tradeable. And if they were, I can't imagine what kind of conditions there would be on that pick. What, we get the pick if he flexes a certain number of times the rest of the season? 

In the NBA and MLB, you can trade a player for cash. I'd do that, but I don't think you can in the NFL. And I don't know how much cash we could get for Landry. 

In all seriousness, he has no trade value. If -- IF -- anyone wants him, they'd wait for us to release him after the deadline, and claim him off waivers. I still think that's our best option, that way maybe we can wiggle out of his remaining salary in 2014, and we get the roster spot.

On the eve of the NFL trade deadline  owner/president/ GM Jerry Jones has already made the first move, acquiring Safety LaRon Landry from the Indianapolis Colts. When asked for a comment Jones had this to say.

"Yeah! I'm a pretty aggressive owner. Uh, when I heard Indianapolis needed a washing machine I looked at ours...even though we need ours. Uh, I said "I gotta pull the trigger on this."

I knew you were being sarcastic. TKnight isn't, though. I'm just pointing out that there is no trade market for LaRon Landry. If there is, it's verrrrry minimal (like, conditional 7th rounder, at best). We can't trade him, I don't think.

As for the cap penalty / dead money, I've started to look at this in a different way over the past year or so. To answer your question, whatever we've paid him this year in base salary (four weeks, $706K) stays on our 2014 cap, plus the prorated signing bonus of $1.75m, for a cap hit of about $2.5m (he doesn't get paid during the suspension, and that money doesn't hit our cap, if I understand correctly). If he doesn't get claimed off waivers, then the remaining $1.6m in base salary stays on our 2014 cap as well, taking that cap him up to $4.1m, which is what his cap hit will be if he stays on our roster for the rest of the season.

And in 2015, we'd have a cap penalty of $3.5m, which is the signing bonus money that hasn't hit the cap yet.

Here's the thing, though. If we release him after the trade deadline, he has to go through waivers. Another team can claim him, and they'd be responsible for his remaining $1.6m in 2014, and that would come off of our cap. If we release him and no one claims him, he can still sign with another team. Let's say he signs for $1m, prorated, so his new team pays him $500K. That $500K comes off of our cap. While I don't think we could trade him, I do think someone would at least sign him for the rest of the season, if not claim him off waivers.

I don't know what's going on with him. I might be overreacting. It's most likely that we keep him on the roster for the rest of the season. But like you say earlier, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that makes our locker room better. Reggie's comments after his suspension were kind of surprising, because you never hear Reggie say anything negative about anyone. And now, he doesn't show up after his suspension, and the coach doesn't say "the guys had the day off, he wasn't due in today." The coach says "I haven't seen or heard from him yet." Not good. I'm done with him, personally. And I'm not usually the kind of guy to write someone off, but I don't think he belongs.

An excellent breakdown as always, I agree there seems to be this fond illusion that you can trade any player easily, if only.

So I guess the question is, assuming a team was willing to claim him off waivers, what's worth more to the team 1.6 million in cap space this year, or having Landry as depth or possibly starting. That or is it worth it to move on a locker room headache?

On the eve of the NFL trade deadline  owner/president/ GM Jerry Jones has already made the first move, acquiring Safety LaRon Landry from the Indianapolis Colts. When asked for a comment Jones had this to say.

"Yeah! I'm a pretty aggressive owner. Uh, when I heard Indianapolis needed a washing machine I looked at ours...even though we need ours. Uh, I said "I gotta pull the trigger on this."

Excellent trade for the Colts, after the Steelers game it's clear the pass rush of the last few weeks was fraudulent so the washing machine might just be what we need. I hear it has a mean spin move, though it does tend to attract laundry.

An excellent breakdown as always, I agree there seems to be this fond illusion that you can trade any player easily, if only.

So I guess the question is, assuming a team was willing to claim him off waivers, what's worth more to the team 1.6 million in cap space this year, or having Landry as depth or possibly starting. That or is it worth it to move on a locker room headache?

I don't even know if he's a headache. I'd waive him because a) I don't like him, b) it would send a message to everyone in the locker room that the way you represent yourself and the team is important. No interest in scapegoating him, but he's not endearing himself to anyone at this point, IMO.

The cap space isn't that important, but it's a bonus. I'd rather have it than not. As for Landry providing depth, I don't know that he can be trusted to be on his game if he's not starting. I just have a bad feeling, overall, about him.