Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cjrulli

Brian Bil\lick on Mike & Mike

Greeny and Bilick sending some major love to the Colts this morning on Mike & Mike. Golic brought up the point of out of the three AFC elite QB's (Luck, Manning, Rivers) which team has a defense that will carry them the furthest.

Bilick said on paper Denver has the best defense with all of the new acquisitions they have made. However he went on to say that the Colts have quietly and most arguably the best defense out of the three. Praising Manusky for his scheme and play calling while also bringing up how well the offense is keeping the ball.

Greeny also argued that if he had a chance to mulligan his pick to win the AFC he would switch it to the Colts at this time.

Their observations and points are some of the exact things we've spoken about on the forums, but it was nice to hear Bilick show us some love. I enjoy his insights and usually believe what he's talking about.

If I can find the segment I will post the link.

Wow, just think after the first two games there were calls out to fire all the coaches and the GM. Funny how some of the armchair QBs, coaches and GMs only think they know what's going on.

Greeny and Bilick sending some major love to the Colts this morning on Mike & Mike. Golic brought up the point of out of the three AFC elite QB's (Luck, Manning, Rivers) which team has a defense that will carry them the furthest.

Bilick said on paper Denver has the best defense with all of the new acquisitions they have made. However he went on to say that the Colts have quietly and most arguably the best defense out of the three. Praising Manusky for his scheme and play calling while also bringing up how well the offense is keeping the ball.

Greeny also argued that if he had a chance to mulligan his pick to win the AFC he would switch it to the Colts at this time.

Their observations and points are some of the exact things we've spoken about on the forums, but it was nice to hear Bilick show us some love. I enjoy his insights and usually believe what he's talking about.

If I can find the segment I will post the link.

Bilick definitely seems like o n e of the smarter football analysts out there, at least out of all the knuckleheads on NFLN...

Wow, just think after the first two games there were calls out to fire all the coaches and the GM. Funny how some of the armchair QBs, coaches and GMs only think they know what's going on.

As you know, coaches should always be fired for the number 1 offense and number 3 defense.

Our offense is so predictable that that the fans know the call and somehow some of the best DCs in the sport don't :)

Need I bring out the sarcasm symbol???  :)

Bilick definitely seems like o n e of the smarter football analysts out there, at least out of all the knuckleheads on NFLN...

I honestly do not understand why he has never been a head coach again.....I think the owners feel intimidated by his intelligence.

I honestly do not understand why he has never been a head coach again.....I think the owners feel intimidated by his intelligence.

Probably because he was touted as an offensive genius coming out of Minnesota , and won on defense in Baltimore. He kept Matt Cavanaugh around too long as offensive co ordinator, insisted on drafting Kyle Boller, got rid of Trent Dilfer and went with Elvis Gerbac the year after the Super Bowl, and when Gerbac failed, did not put in Randall Cunningham in the Pittsburgh playoff game in 2001.

I like Brian, and will always like him as an ex Raven, but look at his record compared to Harbaugh. Harbaugh is a much more consistent coach record wise.

Probably because he was touted as an offensive genius coming out of Minnesota , and won on defense in Baltimore. He kept Matt Cavanaugh around too long as offensive co ordinator, insisted on drafting Kyle Boller, got rid of Trent Dilfer and went with Elvis Gerbac the year after the Super Bowl, and when Gerbac failed, did not put in Randall Cunningham in the Pittsburgh playoff game in 2001.

I like Brian, and will always like him as an ex Raven, but look at his record compared to Harbaugh. Harbaugh is a much more consistent coach record wise.

I was hoping you would respond.  Thank you.  I think having Qzzie Newsome does not hurt either

I really like Billick  He and Mike Martz were both "Evil Geniuses.'   :)

Edit:  I like John Harbaugh too...moreso than Jim...

Harbaugh  has also had Flacco his entire tenure.  I read once that Kyle Boller essentially cost Billick his job with Balt.  Billick was convinced he could turn Boller into a franchise QB but for whatever reason it never worked out.  

I've always admired Billick and of all the "retread" coaches, he's the one I'd most like to see back on the sidelines. 

Bilick is one smart former coach.  I'm impressed with his analysis.

Yes, after game 2, many were calling for the coaching staff to be fired.  Hell, we just got beat by the Broncos (top AFC team) and the Eagles (5-1 right now).  What people didn't focus on is the margin of those loses and how competitive we were.  Hopefully, we can continue to improve and get to Glendale, Arizona (for the Super Bowl.  I'm in Phoenix and would love to see big Blue here to win it all!  Go colts!  Ciao!

Well...Grbac was coming off a year in KC where he threw 28 td's to only 14 picks and 4000+ yards though while Dilfer only started 12 games the year including the playoffs and SB and really was nothing more then a game manager.....which hey that's great, A lot of teams wish they had good game managers at QB right now and back then no doubt but if you can get a bit more then a game manager.

Which Grbac was a bit more then a game manager for a couple years prior...considering that the game was different then compared today, It also did not help that Jamal Lewis went down with a season ending injury and had an old Terry Allen followed by unproven players or cast offs at rb behind him

Never easy to win in Pittsburgh.  If the Colts win this one, there will be more media people believing. Scoring will be pretty tough due to the genius of their head-coach and his game-planning expertise.  And stopping the tall and massive Rothlisberger will be the biggest challenge yet for the defense.

I agree.  It's easier to be an offensive genius when you have Chris Carter and Randy Moss.  Wasn't Marvin Lewis your DC the year you won your first SB?  A great D and a powerful running game can make any coach look good.

I think the knock on him was that he always thought he was the smartest guy in the room (and he may well have been).  But he didn't want to listen to anyone else, and the players didn't really relate to him.

Never easy to win in Pittsburgh.  If the Colts win this one, there will be more media people believing. Scoring will be pretty tough due to the genius of their head-coach and his game-planning expertise.  And stopping the tall and massive Rothlisberger will be the biggest challenge yet for the defense.

I agree.  Tough place to play against a team that has some talent at the skill positions.  If the offense handles the blitz, Colts will score 30 points.  If the Colts have to slug it out, it will take a late drive to seal the deal.

I agree.  It's easier to be an offensive genius when you have Chris Carter and Randy Moss.  Wasn't Marvin Lewis your DC the year you won your first SB?  A great D and a powerful running game can make any coach look good.

I think the knock on him was that he always thought he was the smartest guy in the room (and he may well have been).  But he didn't want to listen to anyone else, and the players didn't really relate to him.

To be fair, he only had Cris Carter and Randy Moss for one year. ;)  He also went through an interesting mix of QB's during his time in Minnesota and he retooled the offense to be successful behind each one.  There was Warren Moon, an all time great but a guy that many people thought would suffer from not playing in the Houston Run and shoot.  Moon and Billick proved that to be completely false.  Then there was Brad Johnson, another Trent Dilfer.  And finally Randall Cunningham who was approaching the end of his career being 35 at the time.  Cunningham was pretty much an afterthought by that point, but with Billick (yes, and Carter and Moss lol) they put together the most prolific offense in the league.  

Bilick always strikes me as a dumb smart guy. I like him, but Jay Cutler was his pick for MVP...wth?

To be fair, he only had Cris Carter and Randy Moss for one year. ;)  He also went through an interesting mix of QB's during his time in Minnesota and he retooled the offense to be successful behind each one.  There was Warren Moon, an all time great but a guy that many people thought would suffer from not playing in the Houston Run and shoot.  Moon and Billick proved that to be completely false.  Then there was Brad Johnson, another Trent Dilfer.  And finally Randall Cunningham who was approaching the end of his career being 35 at the time.  Cunningham was pretty much an afterthought by that point, but with Billick (yes, and Carter and Moss lol) they put together the most prolific offense in the league.  

You're right, I wasn't trying to say he was a bad coach.  But his reputation as an 'offensive genius' wasn't exactly proven out after he left the Vikings.  BTW, the year he left Jeff George threw something like 20+ TDs in about 10 games.

Bilick always strikes me as a dumb smart guy. I like him, but Jay Cutler was his pick for MVP...wth?

Ha, oh yeah I think I remember that...

You know you can't win 'em all...

funny...

Ha, oh yeah I think I remember that...

You know you can't win 'em all...

funny...

He also claimed he wouldn't pursue Peyton Manning the FA if he were the GM of the texans. He cited that Manning didn't fit their system. Hell, if my OC was so pathetic he couldn't utilize Manning I would fire him on the spot lol.

He also claimed he wouldn't pursue Peyton Manning the FA if he were the GM of the texans. He cited that Manning didn't fit their system. Hell, if my OC was so pathetic he couldn't utilize Manning I would fire him on the spot lol.

A primer for offensive coordinators on using Peyton Manning as your quarterback. . . Shut up and get out of the way.  

You're right, I wasn't trying to say he was a bad coach.  But his reputation as an 'offensive genius' wasn't exactly proven out after he left the Vikings.  BTW, the year he left Jeff George threw something like 20+ TDs in about 10 games.

Right, and I get that.  As for the offensive genius after he left Minn, as I alluded to earlier, the QB situation in Balt during his time there was abysmal.  Now, from what I've read, Boller was on him..that was his mistake and he owned it.  The rest of the QB's he was given to work with though.... O.o

yeah, if you are an OC & you get 18 as your QB then it's as the Dire Straits say..."Money for Nothin' "

In answering all of your responses , I would boil down Billick's termination mainly for keeping a horrible offensive co ordinator around so long. The 15-6 loss to the Colts in 2006 is a great example why Billick had to go. You hold Peyton to five field goals, and your offense can't get 16 points. There were many games like that, but Billick doggedly supported Cavanaugh to his own detriment. He really pushed Ozzie to draft Boller, although I blame both of them, and that also cost him.

I like Brian a lot, but like Polian with you guys, it was time for him to go. You can't be going from

13-3 to 5-11 the next year, and wasting top defenses year after year.

In answering all of your responses , I would boil down Billick's termination mainly for keeping a horrible offensive co ordinator around so long. The 15-6 loss to the Colts in 2006 is a great example why Billick had to go. You hold Peyton to five field goals, and your offense can't get 16 points. There were many games like that, but Billick doggedly supported Cavanaugh to his own detriment. He really pushed Ozzie to draft Boller, although I blame both of them, and that also cost him.

I like Brian a lot, but like Polian with you guys, it was time for him to go. You can't be going from

13-3 to 5-11 the next year, and wasting top defenses year after year.

I find it hard to believe that Cavanaugh would have factored in to Billick's firing.  Cavanaugh was replaced several years before Billick was fired.  I also didn't think Billick would be the type to hold on to a coach that wasn't working out due to him firing Fassell, but that was a couple of years after Cavanaugh so maybe it was a matter of him learning from his mistakes with Cavanaugh that led him to go ahead and pull the trigger on also firing Fassell.  However I remember the Fassell firing being somewhat of a big deal because of the long-standing friendship between he and Billick.

I find it hard to believe that Cavanaugh would have factored in to Billick's firing. Cavanaugh was replaced several years before Billick was fired. I also didn't think Billick would be the type to hold on to a coach that wasn't working out due to him firing Fassell, but that was a couple of years after Cavanaugh so maybe it was a matter of him learning from his mistakes with Cavanaugh that led him to go ahead and pull the trigger on also firing Fassell. However I remember the Fassell firing being somewhat of a big deal because of the long-standing friendship between he and Billick.

I think Bisciotti forced Billick to finally get rid of Cavanaugh in 2005, and when the offense wasn't markedly better under Fassell , he had to go, then the next head to go was Billick. I'm grateful to the guy for Super Bowl 35, trust me, and he's a great guy, but it was his time. He also started to lose the team at the end.

I think Bisciotti forced Billick to finally get rid of Cavanaugh in 2005, and when the offense wasn't markedly better under Fassell , he had to go, then the next head to go was Billick. I'm grateful to the guy for Super Bowl 35, trust me, and he's a great guy, but it was his time. He also started to lose the team at the end.

Oh I also get that as well, even good coaches get fired in the NFL.  Personally I would have liked to have seen Billick last one more year to see how he could have done with Flacco, but at the same time I get the "ready to move in a new directoin" approach.  

I would like to see Billick back on the sidelines though, for anyone other than Jax, Tenn or Hou :D   Hmm...Oakland is reportedly looking for a big name, splashy HC.  He'd have Derek Carr to work with...that could be interesting.

Oh I also get that as well, even good coaches get fired in the NFL. Personally I would have liked to have seen Billick last one more year to see how he could have done with Flacco, but at the same time I get the "ready to move in a new directoin" approach.

I would like to see Billick back on the sidelines though, for anyone other than Jax, Tenn or Hou :D Hmm...Oakland is reportedly looking for a big name, splashy HC. He'd have Derek Carr to work with...that could be interesting.

He definitely deserves a chance , and I'm just guessing why he hasn't gotten one. I think one of the aspects of his personality that may rub owners the wrong way is his smugness, and sort of know it all demeanor. It works great as an analyst , but may run some owners the wrong way . You would think after a Super Bowl win, someone would have hired him. It is a bit mysterious.

I seen numerous guys say they thought jay was gonna be MVP.. i couldnt believe it either.. boy did their predictions go down in a firey crash and burn.. lol